Hifaleetin' thoughts

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Re: unhatched fishes and turtle excluding devices

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:57 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:Even if it means setting shit on fire, pyrokinesis would then mean "moving things by setting them on fire". I'd argue telepyrosis or something like that would be much more in line with how the word pyrokinesis is used (i.e. setting things on fire remotely.)
Blame Stephen King in 1980.

Still, when you talk about pyrokinesis and it's advocates, you're talking about the same sort of people who have no problem with Chronomancy.
"I'll divine the future by using TIME!"
"You mean like everyone does, jackass?"

...let's not get started on the other -mancies either. Necromancy's acceptable - mostly due to the historic context of people actually trying that shit, but Cyromancy (fortune telling via ice) or Pyromancy (As you said, not fire, but either way it's fortune telling via some fucked up chemical reaction, right)? -mancy does not mean magic is what I'm getting at, here.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:10 pm UTC

But chronurgy doesn't sound nearly as nice. Also, evolving language, yadda yadda.

Edit: Actually, apparently it's pronounced with a jee sound rather than gee. That sounds fine.
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:15 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:...let's not get started on the other -mancies either. Necromancy's acceptable - mostly due to the historic context of people actually trying that shit, but Cyromancy (fortune telling via ice) or Pyromancy (As you said, not fire, but either way it's fortune telling via some fucked up chemical reaction, right)? -mancy does not mean magic is what I'm getting at, here.
I think this depends who you ask. No one I know hears of any of those -mancies and thinks of fortune telling/divining. Divination (not 'Magic powered by Dieties', but 'Telling the future and prophecy') is it's own branch of magics.

As I hear it, -mancy refers to 'magical control over the prefix'
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

e^iπ+1=0

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:19 pm UTC

... yes. In the same way many hear -kinesis and think psychic. You can either argue the descriptive view that the original etymology is essentially irrelevant because the roots are now used differently, or you can argue the prescriptive view that they're wrong for using the roots that way. You can't really argue both.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:22 pm UTC

I would disagree with anyone who thinks the suffix kinesis denotes psychic though. But sure, I don't disagree with your point, I'm just having a conversation here.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:24 pm UTC

e^iπ+1=0 hits the point. If pyrokinesis is unacceptable for "Sets shit on fire with MIND BULLETS or whatever, go nuts" then Chronomancer is unacceptable for "Manipulates time by castin' spells and shit" Which is what I'm getting at... and really, the -mancy thing bothers me more than -kinesis does.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby doogly » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:31 pm UTC

and look we got a perfectly good -turgy for whenever you are gettin shit done.
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

e^iπ+1=0

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:33 pm UTC

By the way, do tell: what sort of magic might labiomancy be, Iz?

(Avatar by Sungura)

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:50 pm UTC

You guys are using the word 'unacceptable'. I'm giving my understanding of the word 'pyrokinesis' to mean 'fire movement' or 'fire control'. Since -kinesis in 'telekinesis' means 'to move things remotely, i.e., without touching them', I understand that there's an implication of 'psychic', but the word itself just means 'remote movement', which I think fits the power just fine.

That said, that the words have come to mean different things is a perfectly valid point; a 'telepath' isn't someone who can 'remotely suffer from a condition', it's someone who can 'remotely be'.

e^iπ+1=0 wrote:By the way, do tell: what sort of magic might labiomancy be, Iz?
What I did to your mom lastnight? Or you know, 'lip magic'?

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:19 pm UTC

Is nobody going to mention lesbomancy?

Yoshisummons

Postby Yoshisummons » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:26 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:...let's not get started on the other -mancies either. Necromancy's acceptable - mostly due to the historic context of people actually trying that shit, but Cyromancy (fortune telling via ice) or Pyromancy (As you said, not fire, but either way it's fortune telling via some fucked up chemical reaction, right)? -mancy does not mean magic is what I'm getting at, here.

But what will I call my favorite Wizard that can tell the future by being genre-savvy(Metamancy)?
eran_rathan wrote:Listen to the man with the cone on his head - these are Words of WisdomTM.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:28 pm UTC

Yoshisummons wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:...let's not get started on the other -mancies either. Necromancy's acceptable - mostly due to the historic context of people actually trying that shit, but Cyromancy (fortune telling via ice) or Pyromancy (As you said, not fire, but either way it's fortune telling via some fucked up chemical reaction, right)? -mancy does not mean magic is what I'm getting at, here.

But what will I call my favorite Wizard that can tell the future by being genre-savvy(Metamancy)?
Metamancy to me means 'magical control over magical control'. Like, you can manipulate the structures of magic that define the structures of magic. Or maybe control other peoples magics. That's a big theme in a lot of fantasy, that the ultimate power is sort of the 'power over the power', i.e., the ability to give or take away that power.

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:18 pm UTC

Yoshisummons wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:...let's not get started on the other -mancies either. Necromancy's acceptable - mostly due to the historic context of people actually trying that shit, but Cyromancy (fortune telling via ice) or Pyromancy (As you said, not fire, but either way it's fortune telling via some fucked up chemical reaction, right)? -mancy does not mean magic is what I'm getting at, here.

did someone say wizard? :lol:

in all seriousness, the people who don't get that -kinesis is not always related to telekinesis are probably the same ones who freak out when a chemical is listed as ending in -oxide (carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide, etc.)

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:24 pm UTC

eran_rathan wrote:
addams wrote:
The Cat wrote:half way through a delicious muffin top. judging from the dirty birds, I trust the fowl is its same charming self. fat camp is awesome.

What?
That is even more cryptic than me.
Is it a Random thought I could understand in Context?

I <3 this.

I want to see a random-off thread between Deva, The Cat, and addams.

Hilarity ensues.

I find Deva rather straightforward, actually.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:27 pm UTC

It's pretty easy to understand when you start to read Deva's posts in Mordin Solus' voice.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:37 pm UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:
eran_rathan wrote:
addams wrote:
The Cat wrote:half way through a delicious muffin top. judging from the dirty birds, I trust the fowl is its same charming self. fat camp is awesome.

What?
That is even more cryptic than me.
Is it a Random thought I could understand in Context?

I <3 this.

I want to see a random-off thread between Deva, The Cat, and addams.

Hilarity ensues.

I find Deva rather straightforward, actually.

Its the lack of pronouns that throws me. It seems difficult at times to figure out what or whom is being discussed.
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

brenok
Needs Directions

Postby brenok » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:44 pm UTC

I believe most of time he's talking about himself, so when he writes "reads a book" I see it as "I read a book".

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:16 pm UTC

...he?

Snark

Postby Snark » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:18 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:...he?
This source says Deva is ok with any pronouns.
Dashboard Confessional wrote:I want to give you whatever you need. What is it you need? Is it within me?

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:40 pm UTC

It does seem to be more getting into the spirit of it to avoid pronouns though, when discussing Deva ;-)
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:42 pm UTC

I'm pretty sure the only pronouns Deva omits are first-person. But the. I haven't exactly made a thorough study of her posts.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:04 pm UTC

Is thread for reverse-engineering devanese.

Enjoys speaking like Deva. Aids succinctness. Straight to the point. Thinks improved somewhat when used in addition to more common sentence structures which come more naturally to me. Adds emphasis.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:09 pm UTC

I wonder if a day will come when I eat mackerel, without first saying "Holy mackerel, batman!"
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:01 am UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:Is nobody going to mention lesbomancy?

It's called vaginamancy.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:37 pm UTC

brenok wrote:I believe most of time he's talking about himself, so when he writes "reads a book" I see it as "I read a book".

Part of the point. Removes pronouns. Allows interpretation. Much more to be learned.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:47 pm UTC

eSOANEM wrote:Is thread for reverse-engineering devanese.

Enjoys speaking like Deva. Aids succinctness. Straight to the point. Thinks improved somewhat when used in addition to more common sentence structures which come more naturally to me. Adds emphasis.

Finds thread interesting. Agrees in conciseness and clarity.
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:38 pm UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:I'm pretty sure the only pronouns Deva omits are first-person. But the. I haven't exactly made a thorough study of her posts.

...her?

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:50 pm UTC

When I see the name "Deva", I think of Dev, and being fly like a G-6.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:02 pm UTC

Giant Speck wrote:When I see the name "Deva", I think of Dev, and being fly like a G-6.

Terrible song but wonderful idea for a video.

...they really should have used the same height of shoes throughout.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:47 pm UTC

Giant Speck wrote:When I see the name "Deva", I think of Dev, and being fly like a G-6.

When drinking, does it right, gets slizzard.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:43 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:

Terrible song but wonderful idea for a video.

...they really should have used the same height of shoes throughout.

Sort of reminds me of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ib8isDJtv1w
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

Tomlidich the second

Postby Tomlidich the second » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:15 pm UTC

im not a fan of any sort of pop or club music but that song is so damn catchy.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:19 pm UTC

Roll a D6.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:24 pm UTC

Six.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:39 pm UTC

I got an 8. I think there's something wrong with my die.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Deva

Postby Deva » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:43 pm UTC

Did it explode?

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:49 pm UTC

It's been spinning on a corner for 10 minutes.

I'm pretty sure it's not touching the desk anymore and is actually hovering just barely above it.

Deva

Postby Deva » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:18 pm UTC

Jinxed your die. Isolate it immediately. Recommends a die purge. Requires a tin foil hat, a four-leaf clover, and salt. Process:
1. Wear the tin foil hat on your head.
2. Create a salt circle around the die.
3. Chant "Begone, bad luck" twenty times.
4. Place the four-leaf clover next to it directly afterward.
5. Let it sit overnight.

May or may not work. Use a sledgehammer, if not. Bury the remains. Removes garden pests, as a bonus.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:32 pm UTC

Too late. I panicked and swallowed the die.

My stomach feels funny.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:45 pm UTC

I rolled a 3+5i

Should have used my classical dice.

Return to “General”