Hifaleetin' thoughts

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Quercus

Re: Inspirations

Postby Quercus » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:57 pm UTC

Yakk wrote:
Jplus wrote:
Giant Speck wrote:I want to lose weight not only to get out of this horrible cycle of failing my semi-annual fitness assessments, but also because I have a year and a half left here and I'd like to be able to go to a beach shirtless at least once before I go and not feel self conscious.

It's probably because I'm not a native speaker, but I'm not sure I fully understand this bit. Do you mean you want to go to a beach shirtless at least once before you get dementia??

Anyway, go you!

I am curious where you got the dementia from.

Equating "self conscious" with "self-aware" would be my guess.

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:09 pm UTC

I suppose that could drive someone crazy, but it seems an extreme reaction.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:41 pm UTC

OH GOD I'M PASTY WHITE AND FAT DSFG AFD ADSF DKJFDSAKJ FLASJ

[RUNS INTO OCEAN AND DROWNS]
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:08 pm UTC

Angua wrote:Me: great, now we had the tv shelfs for hte monitor we can put the printer there as well as they're pretty sturdy.

bf: NO. We're creating a focal point of the room and you want to put a bloody printer there. 'hey look everyone, there's our printer' Printers go in back rooms. We can put it on the floor in our bedroom.

I think we know which one of the two of us is made for interior design.

Yeah, you're right. I can't believe that he thinks a TV is a better focus point than a printer!
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:18 am UTC

Giant Speck wrote:OH GOD I'M PASTY WHITE AND FAT DSFG AFD ADSF DKJFDSAKJ FLASJ

this is me everytime i look in the mirror since i moved here.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:31 am UTC

Yakk wrote:
Jplus wrote:
Giant Speck wrote:I want to lose weight not only to get out of this horrible cycle of failing my semi-annual fitness assessments, but also because I have a year and a half left here and I'd like to be able to go to a beach shirtless at least once before I go and not feel self conscious.

It's probably because I'm not a native speaker, but I'm not sure I fully understand this bit. Do you mean you want to go to a beach shirtless at least once before you get dementia??

I am curious where you got the dementia from.

"at least once before I go and not feel self conscious": I interpreted that as "at least once before I don't [or can't] worry about my appearance anymore". I realize it's probably a far-fetched interpretation...
"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache coherence, naming things, and off-by-one errors." (Phil Karlton and Leon Bambrick)

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

elminster

Postby elminster » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:15 am UTC

FT: Thinking back, i learnt to rewire a plug when I was about 11. My parents went out and cut the plug off the game console cable because they didn't want me to play on it. I opened it up, studied and noted the layout down, stripped the wires with a small kitchen knife, rewired it, and double checked everything was just like how it was. They came back and saw me playing on it, but didn't mention it. Maybe they forgot, but I would have thought they found it pretty strange.
I actually did a pretty good job of it (luckily?) considering I'd never seen the inside of one .

FierceContinent

Postby FierceContinent » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:30 pm UTC

elminster wrote:FT: Thinking back, i learnt to rewire a plug when I was about 11. My parents went out and cut the plug off the game console cable because they didn't want me to play on it. I opened it up, studied and noted the layout down, stripped the wires with a small kitchen knife, rewired it, and double checked everything was just like how it was. They came back and saw me playing on it, but didn't mention it. Maybe they forgot, but I would have thought they found it pretty strange.
I actually did a pretty good job of it (luckily?) considering I'd never seen the inside of one .

“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson
The greatest Science Hero is almost certainly Norman Borlaug. His selectively bred crops have saved many, many people from starvation.
Just to be clear, the number of lives Norman Borlaug is credited with saving is in the BILLIONS.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ScienceHero

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:45 pm UTC

Jplus wrote:"at least once before I go and not feel self conscious": I interpreted that as "at least once before I don't [or can't] worry about my appearance anymore". I realize it's probably a far-fetched interpretation...

Self-conscious means painfully aware of one's awkwardness or other shortcomings. It's usually meant in a negative way. Self-aware is more neutral, meaning simple awareness of what one is doing, feeling, or thinking.

To lose self-consciousness is to forget one's worries and get really involved in something. It's usually temporary. To lose self-awareness is the bad thing and usually not temporary.
A man who is 'ill-adjusted' to the world is always on the verge of finding himself. One who is adjusted to the world never finds himself, but gets to be a cabinet minister.
- Hermann Hesse, novelist, poet, Nobel laureate (2 Jul 1877-1962)

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:32 am UTC

Thanks for that explanation! I feel I understand English a bit better now.

As an aside, my incorrect interpretation was also partly due to a misunderstanding of the constituent structure of the sentence. It should be

[...] and I'd like to be able to go to a beach shirtless [at least once before I go] and [not feel self conscious],

but I thought it was

[...] and I'd like to be able to go to a beach shirtless [at least once] [before I go and not feel self conscious].
"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache coherence, naming things, and off-by-one errors." (Phil Karlton and Leon Bambrick)

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

Yakk

Postby Yakk » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:02 pm UTC

Oh, and because I'm an arse, I did some language puns.
Spoiler:
Speck wrote: I want to lose weight not only to get out of this horrible cycle of failing my semi-annual fitness assessments, but also because I have a year and a half left here and I'd like to be able to go to a beach shirtless at least once before I go and not feel self conscious.

J wrote:It's probably because I'm not a native speaker, but I'm not sure I fully understand this bit. Do you mean you want to go to a beach shirtless at least once before you get dementia??

Yakk wrote:I am curious where you got the dementia from.

This is a strange choice of phrasing for English. "where you got the dementia from" implies you got dementia, but in context it would read "where you got the idea that someone was talking about dementia" (basically, using a word to talk about talking about the word).
Quercus wrote:Equating "self conscious" with "self-aware" would be my guess.

The clean reading of this is that Q thinks J thought Speck was saying:
"I'd like to be able to go to a beach shirtless at least once before I go and (lose self awareness)."
Losing self awareness would be no longer being aware of yourself as a being; possibly a form of dementia.

I was a bit of an arse here, and pretended my previous sentence had the "obvious" meaning:
Yakk wrote:I suppose that could drive someone crazy, but it seems an extreme reaction.

I suppose 'Equating "self concsious" with "self-aware"' could drive someone crazy, but simply equating those two driving someone crazy seems like an extreme reaction.' Ie, I reread the previous statement as not being what J did, but rather what J thought Speck did. Or rather, "How did you get dementia?" "I equated 'self-awareness' with 'self-consiousness'", and not as actual behaviors, but rather as as concepts, and thinking about them being the same thing drove one crazy.

This is deliberate misunderstanding of what someone says, after making ambiguous statements, a lower form of humor than puns.

Speck (I think) got what I was doing (being silly) and took the game a step further:
Speck wrote:OH GOD I'M PASTY WHITE AND FAT DSFG AFD ADSF DKJFDSAKJ FLASJ

His self awareness (awareness of self-existence) became self consciousness (awareness of your own awkwardness), and hence became insane.

I hope that over-analysis of bad linguistic jokes helps a non-English speaker understand the thread. I also hope I properly read what the various parties where trying to communicate; given that the humor was about miscommunication, I have little hope.
Last edited by Yakk on Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:43 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:25 pm UTC

This is a rare case where the explanation of a joke is funnier than the joke itself - Yakk, that was comedy gold.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:28 pm UTC

Jplus wrote:Thanks for that explanation! I feel I understand English a bit better now.
let me fix that with this grammatically correct sentence.

Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:35 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Jplus wrote:Thanks for that explanation! I feel I understand English a bit better now.

Which is only grammatically correct in US English (buffalo as a verb is US-specific). I was confused about people saying that sentence was gramatically correct for years - I just kept thinking: "what? It has no verb?"

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:52 am UTC

Yeah, I completely missed the jokes. Thanks for highlighting them, Yakk. :)

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:56 am UTC

Quercus wrote:
SecondTalon wrote:

Which is only grammatically correct in US English (buffalo as a verb is US-specific). I was confused about people saying that sentence was gramatically correct for years - I just kept thinking: "what? It has no verb?"

Huh, I assumed it was just a weird word no-one used much any more. It being US specific makes a lot more sense given how often people repeat the "grammatically correct" thing.

The "had had" one is still my favourite because recursive iteration.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:47 pm UTC

James while John had had had had had had had had had had had a better effect on the teacher.

Even with clarifying punctuation, it's still full of wat.

James, while John had had "had," had had "had had"; "had had" had had a better effect on the teacher.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:33 pm UTC

When did "had" become a noun?
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:47 pm UTC

"On the grammar exam, the final question required the students to properly form the past perfect of the verb "to have". James, while John had had "had", had had "had had"; "had had" was the more correct of the two."
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:48 pm UTC

Carlington wrote:"On the grammar exam, the final question required the students to properly form the past perfect of the verb "to have". James, while John had had "had", had had "had had"; "had had" had had a better effect on the teacher"

(It was right above me, and I still missed the last clause)

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?

Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:50 pm UTC

Ok, after reading that a couple of times, 'had' is no longer a word.
eSOANEM wrote:
right now, that means it's Nazi punching time.

she/her/hers
=]

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:51 pm UTC

And then you can loop the whole thing by having a paper asking the students how to make that sentence grammatical giving you:

James, while John had had "had had had had had had had had", had had "had had had had had had had had had"; "had had had had had had had had had" was the more correct of the two.

etc.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:51 pm UTC

Please stop... My brain is doing the hurty.
eSOANEM wrote:

she/her/hers
=]

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:54 pm UTC

Just don't get me started about the sign painter at the chipper up the road...

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:29 pm UTC

The English Language: Because Fuck You.

PolakoVoador

Postby PolakoVoador » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:27 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:

While I can understand the "had had had had" madness, I have no idea what is going on with this bufallo thing. Can anyone help this non-native speaker?

Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:33 pm UTC

As a native speaker, I have never understood it. Even with the Wiki page.
eSOANEM wrote:

she/her/hers
=]

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:42 pm UTC

PolakoVoador wrote:
SecondTalon wrote:

While I can understand the "had had had had" madness, I have no idea what is going on with this bufallo thing. Can anyone help this non-native speaker?

A buffalo is a large mammal, Buffalo is a city in New York state and to buffalo is to "bully or indimidate" in US slang.

The key bit of the Wikipedia article is:

"Buffalo buffalo (buffalo from Buffalo NY) [that] Buffalo buffalo buffalo (that the buffalo from Buffalo NY bully) buffalo Buffalo buffalo (are bullying buffalo from Buffalo NY)."

Or if we replace the terms with synonyms (or less precise specifiers, because cities don't really have synonyms):

New York bison [that] New York bison indimidate, intimdate New York bison [in turn].

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:26 am UTC

Bully[10]!

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:29 am UTC

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:42 am UTC

I kind of love this.
eSOANEM wrote:

she/her/hers
=]

PolakoVoador

Postby PolakoVoador » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:07 pm UTC

Fractal_Tangent wrote:

I kind of love this.

Thanks for the answers, I kind of get it now. The link is awesome (and it was linked by Link just before my post and I totally failed to see it), but I will admit to not being able to completely follow the more complex examples :| I think it is this weird "to buffalo" verb that keeps throwing me off

roband

Postby roband » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:51 pm UTC

PolakoVoador wrote: linked by Link

It was a Link link? That's a helluva link. A Link link link?

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:21 pm UTC

"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:11 pm UTC

I've been increasingly thinking of quitting my job and taking a year long sabbatical from my career to think through where I want to go in life and to work on all the things I don't have the time or energy to do alongside of a full time job.

Feels like my current job is sucking the life, creativity and sanity out of me. I emphatically dislike the unmotivated and cynical person it's turning me into.

I have the money to bankroll this, but it's still not an easy decision to make, walking away from a steady and large paycheck, coworkers I call friends, and the security of employment; into a free but uncertain future.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Zohar
COMMANDER PORN

Postby Zohar » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:58 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:I've been increasingly thinking of quitting my job and taking a year long sabbatical from my career to think through where I want to go in life and to work on all the things I don't have the time or energy to do alongside of a full time job.

Feels like my current job is sucking the life, creativity and sanity out of me. I emphatically dislike the unmotivated and cynical person it's turning me into.

I have the money to bankroll this, but it's still not an easy decision to make, walking away from a steady and large paycheck, coworkers I call friends, and the security of employment; into a free but uncertain future.

Maybe start with a three month unpaid time off period? Work might agree to that and then you'll have the opportunity to return there.
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:38 pm UTC

Zohar wrote:
Spoiler:
You, sir, name? wrote:I've been increasingly thinking of quitting my job and taking a year long sabbatical from my career to think through where I want to go in life and to work on all the things I don't have the time or energy to do alongside of a full time job.

Maybe start with a three month unpaid time off period? Work might agree to that and then you'll have the opportunity to return there.

Yeah, already tried that. They require 5 years of employment (I have 4) and 7 months notice (wtf) to offer it. I may be able to extort my way into unpaid leave by threatening to quit, but that isn't really my style.

This isn't something I've come up with just now, I've been thinking about it for a good year. I talked to my boss/HR last spring and let them know I'm unhappy with the situation, and they were sympathetic and the message I got from them was one of their more valued employees and they really didn't want to see me go so they'd make changes to make better use of my talents. But these changes have just completely failed to materialize. I severely doubt they missed the part where the subtext of the conversation we had was more or less "I'm unhappy and I'll probably leave the company soon," and I'm not the type of guy who complains twice, so at this point, I'm really out of options (aside from staying and leaving).

Besides, it's not very hard to find a new job when you're a demonstrably experienced and competent software developer, should I decide to jump back in again. It's very much a seller's market, and I don't think that's about to change anytime soon.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Yakk

Postby Yakk » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:47 pm UTC

You could try this:
I will taking a year off working starting on the Xth of Y. This can either be me offering notice, or if you prefer you can make it a formal leave of absence. Let me know what you decide.

If they value you highly enough, they might change procedures.

I would want to have a plan on what you want to work on during that time, to explain resume gaps. Note that when getting a new job, making it clear why you won't do this again might be important. Also making it not look like you got let go, and haven't managed to find a job for a year.

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:43 pm UTC

I love magnanimity. It's such an underrated virtue.
Exit the vampires' castle.

Return to “General”