Mod Madness 2014 : The Announcement

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Re: Mod Madness 2014 : The Announcement

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:18 pm UTC

Both reading and posting to the OTT constitute otting - we consider lurkers who read the thread but never actually post to be OTTers, too.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:26 pm UTC

Ah, so it's like how Mormons get to count every one of a convert's ancestors as Mormon even if those people never actually participated in Mormonism or would identify as such themselves?
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:34 pm UTC

Do you guys have a funny word for when I have too much rum during Mod Madness and move your thread to the mod forums?

... I mean, besides "crashing the server because it's too large".

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:41 pm UTC

@gmalivuk: The analogies, they work poorly when applied to a forum thread. Someone who reads the thread is consuming the media, even if they don't make more of the media themselves.

@Azrael: Apologies if we're coming on too strong. This global announcement appears in ICT, and OTTers have a habit of visiting other threads that appear in the ICT forum. Plus SecondTalon summoned us by mentioning the OTT in the initial post.

Edits to mention that I misunderstood Azrael's post. My bad!
Last edited by BlitzGirl on Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:46 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:42 pm UTC

My question was entirely without threatening subtext. For once, I am legitimately curious.

... but thanks anyway for the situational awareness?

ALSO: I read Reddit, but I am not a Redditor. Lurkers here are not yet Forumites. Perhaps it's a naming and/or self-selection thing, but I still consider your conscription of observers into OTTdom entirely invalid.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:44 pm UTC

Oh, heh. :) Don't mind me! Reading comprehension fail. We'd probably call that "ottifying" the mod forum because you'd be injecting the OTT into it. (I don't know exactly why you'd want to do that to yourselves, but hey, rum.) We'd likely hang out in one of our redundant conversation spaces until you decided to bring it back, and possibly play in the other Madness-infused ICT threads until then.

Azrael wrote:Perhaps it's a naming and/or self-selection thing, but I still consider your conscription of observers into OTTdom entirely invalid.

Fair enough. It's not really conscription from our perspective, it's more description: calling them "readers of the OTT".

It seems like the disconnect here is with terminology (not surprising). OTTer is our neutral blanket term, something akin to "thread reader/poster" or "thread user." The more specific term that would constitute conscripting would be calling any given thread-reader a Timewaiter, which indicates that person has specifically chosen to Wait for it and is a fan of Time. A personal preference like that would not be ascribed to other people without their go-ahead.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:43 am UTC

Azrael wrote:Do you guys have a funny word for when I have too much rum during Mod Madness and move your thread to the mod forums?

"Chirping Mustard!" covers all cases.

Spoiler:
Have already said that, but, it really does.

Also, was I really threatened to be banned one page ago? Where did that come from? :mrgreen: Just take my demands for suggestions and ignore them. Having both "your demands annoy us" and "we don't care about your suggestions" isn't much consistent.

@kalira: Just because the mod said there's no vanilla roles doesn't make it real.

Vote: kalira

I'm certain we're not in the same faction, what would be the chance that I'm scum again and they are town? 50% I tell you! 50% that kalira is scum makes it a good chance.

Also, this thread basically shows that most users on the forum are OTTers, just count us :)

mrob27 wrote:Also, I don't know what that "Purple Pizzazz" thing was supposed to be about but I'd say that colour is too close to the red reserved for Mods.

Soon the usernames, avatars and signatures of some people (me included) will be changed to "Purple Pizzazz". Some people wanted to call us "the pinks" last year. Yeah, we've got to be called something, but I object to be related to a color that doesn't look like FF00BF at all.

Okay, we can be called the FF00BFs, that'd be as accurate as it gets, but it sounds like... the phoobfs...
Go! Go! You can do it username5243!
Cheers Marsh'n!

THANKS KARHELL!! :)

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:18 am UTC

Vytron wrote:Having both "your demands annoy us" and "we don't care about your suggestions" isn't much consistent.

Allow me to clarify:

Demands are annoying [and prone to ironic hijinks]

Suggestions regarding the time thread are entirely irrelevant ['cause peeps with root access put down the kibosh]

firesoul31

Postby firesoul31 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:23 am UTC

Azrael wrote:
Vytron wrote:Having both "your demands annoy us" and "we don't care about your suggestions" isn't much consistent.

Allow me to clarify:

Demands are annoying [and prone to ironic hijinks]

Suggestions regarding the time thread are entirely irrelevant ['cause peeps with root access put down the kibosh]

I recall that in the first year anyone who complained, thus making the mod's job harder instead of giving them a break, wa banned, as well as adding time to the Madness.
Pronouns: she/her/hers or they/them please.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:51 am UTC

Really? Whoa, then I'm not complaining! I just have a weird way of complimenting mods for all their work on the madness, and a weird way to entice them to push the envelope!

firesoul31

Postby firesoul31 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:31 am UTC

Vytron wrote:Really? Whoa, then I'm not complaining! I just have a weird way of complimenting mods for all their work on the madness, and a weird way to entice them to push the envelope!

Well, that's not what I meant to imply; it seemed that people who suggested things to the mods were merely ignored whereas those who made threads saying "My Important Internet Discussions (or Mafia, as people oddly complained about occasionally) have been disrupted! This is a violation of my rights! I absolutely am not for this, and you should be ashamed!" were banned.

But yes, the thing about suggesting things to the mods is that not only will it either be ignored or purposely excluded, but it will annoy them. And, although this is currently known as Mod Madness, it was originally called, and continues to be, Mod Mental Health Week. Because they don't have to justify anything and argue with people. They can do whatever they want, however they want, and whenever they want (within the week)*.

*It was suggested in the first Mod Madness by a user to change the forum time backwards immediately before the end of the Madness, so who knows how long it will actually last? Especially if the TFC is cheesegrater'd somehow. From whence would our supply of time be conjured then?

Pre-post edit - Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention last time that it was just for the length of the Madness. The ban, I mean. Belial hasn't gotten meaner since then, right? Right?

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:46 am UTC

Azrael wrote:
Flado wrote:GLR is an OTTer?

I pay attention to what my friend Catherine is up to, but I am not a cat.

But you are a cat person, or you wouldn't have a cat.
Food for thought.

Azrael wrote:ALSO: I read Reddit, but I am not a Redditor. Lurkers here are not yet Forumites. Perhaps it's a naming and/or self-selection thing, but I still consider your conscription of observers into OTTdom entirely invalid.

We're an overly inclusive bunch. Helps keep the atmosphere light, and low pressure is a good thing. Mostly, we don't want to inadvertently seem condescending or cliquish (the latter is difficult to avoid given the elaborate culture we developed that happens to include several users in particular, but we generally try to avoid harping on them too much). Consider it our form of compliment.

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:19 am UTC

Azrael wrote: for when I have too much rum during Mod Madness and move your thread to the mod forums?

Moving would change the URL from viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043 to something else and that would crash all the tools that rely on it. I can't even imagine the chaos this would cause. Or the time needed to recover from it.
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:40 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:Ah, so it's like how Mormons get to count every one of a convert's ancestors as Mormon even if those people never actually participated in Mormonism or would identify as such themselves?

Not quite. Actively following the Time thread is a choice. Having a grandson who chooses something isn't.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:16 am UTC

@firesoul31: Oh, thanks. It's curious how they're annoyed by both people complaining about disruption caused by the madness and by people complaining that it doesn't cause enough disruption. I'll just wish them a fun week, then.

As for OTTers being extremely inclusive, of course we are, in fact, if you've ever opened the Time Thread to read something, you're already one of us and we'll be very happy once you decide to delurk and become a Revealer the Recent :)

*Opens arms*

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:56 am UTC

Vytron wrote:It's curious how they're annoyed by both people complaining about disruption caused by the madness and by people complaining that it doesn't cause enough disruption.
If you read carefully enough, you just might notice that the important word is in both of those.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:35 am UTC

firesoul31 wrote:Because they don't have to justify anything and argue with people. They can do whatever they want, however they want, and whenever they want (within the week)*.
Actually, this is true at all times. Any restraint is courtesy.
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:40 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
Vytron wrote:It's curious how they're annoyed by both people complaining about disruption caused by the madness and by people complaining that it doesn't cause enough disruption.
If you read carefully enough, you just might notice that the important word is in both of those.

I prefer complaining that there is not enough complaining. That way it solves itself.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

he/him/his

firechicago
Location: One time, I put a snowglobe in the microwave and pushed "Hot Dog"

Postby firechicago » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:51 pm UTC

Vytron wrote:As for OTTers being extremely inclusive, of course we are, in fact, if you've ever opened the Time Thread to read something, you're already one of us and we'll be very happy once you decide to delurk and become a Revealer the Recent :)

*Opens arms*

And this is exactly why the rest of the forums find the Time-thread folks more than a little bit creepy.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:16 pm UTC

firechicago wrote:
Vytron wrote:As for OTTers being extremely inclusive, of course we are, in fact, if you've ever opened the Time Thread to read something, you're already one of us and we'll be very happy once you decide to delurk and become a Revealer the Recent :)

*Opens arms*

And this is exactly why the rest of the forums find the Time-thread folks more than a little bit creepy.

Opinions differ on the exact line of being an OTTer versus not being an OTTer. I feel that you need to want to be an OTTer to be one.
You can find us a bit creepy. That is within your right. I feel at home in the Time thread.

he/him/his

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:23 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
Azrael wrote:
Flado wrote:GLR is an OTTer?
I pay attention to what my friend Catherine is up to, but I am not a cat.
But you are a cat person, or you wouldn't have a cat. Food for thought.
Not really. I can pay attention to what my friend's dog is doing, but I am not a dog, nor a dog person.

balthasar_s wrote:
Azrael wrote: for when I have too much rum during Mod Madness and move your thread to the mod forums?

Moving would change the URL from viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043 to something else and that would crash all the tools that rely on it. I can't even imagine the chaos this would cause. Or the time needed to recover from it.

I can't tell if you're too focused on the individual trees or not. The forest here is the base assumption that the thread would be moved back, otherwise it would cease to exist for the general population. It is entirely understood that moving it for the duration of mod madness would cause (temporary) chaos. That might be the (only) point of the such a prank.

Great, now that I've over explained the joke, it's funnier, right? Right? Good. Now, how about your concern regarding long term chaos:

"f=7" is the forum designator
"t=101043" is the topic designator, and they are unique

When threads get moved their unique topic numbers remain constant. That's why you'll find occasional links that lead you to an insufficient privileged error, the link is taking you to the topic, but it's been moved to a location you aren't allowed access. If I moved the thread to our boneyard, it would become f=37&t=101043 while residing in it's new vacation home. Want to play a fun game that demonstrates? viewtopic.php?t=101043 will get you to the same place as viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043, as will any value you enter for "f=X". Or just visit this thread, following links from different forums and note how "f=X" changes, but the topic doesn't.

When I moved it back, it would be like nothing ever happened. Except that I would have broken the server, twice. Never mind having created an unruly horde of super for serious peeved off people that didn't share in the schadenfreude.

So, this concludes our over analysis of a thing that isn't actually going to happen.

firesoul31

Postby firesoul31 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:06 am UTC

LE4dGOLEM wrote:
firesoul31 wrote:Because they don't have to justify anything and argue with people. They can do whatever they want, however they want, and whenever they want (within the week)*.
Actually, this is true at all times. Any restraint is courtesy.

Fair enough. However, you don't even have to justify yourself to the other mods, nor do people expect you to justify yourself this week.
(Also, admin powers are included in "whatever you want")

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:14 am UTC

The OTT is the most friendly and troll-free community I have ever found on the Internet, it's noticeable the lack of mean people, teasing or any kind of flaming.

I've looked it up, we're basically the Sugar Bowl of the Internet.

What's creepy about that?

Aw, molpish! Want a wowterfulc**kie?

patzer

Postby patzer » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:41 am UTC

...And it has begun, starting with country names translated to their own language. I eagerly await the increasing unreadability of the fora caused by our overlords' temporary lapse in sanity.
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:35 am UTC

Mexico.

Hmmm, was that meant to add the ' to the e?

firesoul31

Postby firesoul31 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:11 am UTC

twerk -> Twerk

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:23 pm UTC

We're going to play a fun game where we ignore the handful of side effects from an early implementation / experiment with phpBB's permissions sets, ok? Sometimes you can be too prepared. See you guys in a week.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:38 pm UTC

Also, twerk has been a filter for quite some time already. I don't think it was from MM2013, but it's been around for several months at least.
---

(he/him/his)

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:40 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Something wonderful.

Or awful.

I forget which.

I haven't
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:07 pm UTC

Vytron wrote:Really? Whoa, then I'm not complaining! I just have a weird way of complimenting mods for all their work on the madness, and a weird way to entice them to push the envelope!

Your mistake is that you believe Mod Madness exists for your benefit, or gives any fucks about entertaining you. Perhaps one year the mods will finally bring the event to its logical conclusion, and then won't we all be entertained.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:39 pm UTC

Jack Chick has really stepped up his game
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:45 pm UTC

Man have you read Ex Machina? Not to derail this thread, but

Code: Select all

READ EX MACHINA.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:54 pm UTC

This is probably a silly question, but what does the O in OTT stand for?
"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache coherence, naming things, and off-by-one errors." (Phil Karlton and Leon Bambrick)

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:55 pm UTC

OTT: One True Thread
Changes its form depending on the observer.

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:06 pm UTC

I bailed on even reading the Time comic once I realized it went on basically forever. I will never step foot into that thread.
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

RollingHead

Postby RollingHead » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:16 pm UTC

Has stuff already stopped making sense or am I just sleep deprived?

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:50 pm UTC

RollingHead wrote:Has stuff already stopped making sense or am I just sleep deprived?

The Time Thread is pretty much "what if it was Mod Madness all year?!".
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

WibblyWobbly
Can't Get No

Postby WibblyWobbly » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:57 pm UTC

I think of it as more "what if the inmates ran the asylum?", although from every interaction I've had with the OTTers, they're very nice inmates. Still crazy, but nice nonetheless.

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:58 pm UTC

WibblyWobbly wrote:I think of it as more "what if the inmates ran the asylum?",

Sooooooooooooo... Mod Madness?
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:00 pm UTC

Last year's RECKONING struck just as the thread was taking off, so basically the OTT is the child of the Madness.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Return to “General”