Mod Madness 2014 : The Announcement

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Re: Very Model ah A big man ting General Furious Doodling 20

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:23 am UTC

I bought Red Stripe the other day and I wasn't even thinking about Mod Madness.

OR WAS I?

Booo, entitled folk who lack perspective! Hooray beer!
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:41 am UTC

Azrael wrote:
Curator of Faces wrote:I kyan't believe you just likened a temporary fucking lock to de destruction ah de Earth. Bravo!

Although clearly more jovial in de nature ah it comparison, it joins de ranks along wid:

Cleveland, Ohio's importance a be likened to dat ah a suicide prevention tread.

de topic certainly seems to draw out everyone's flair for de dramatic

I made the analogy that if it were, it would be headline news. I did not say it was. My point was that even when you want to have fun, there are some lines you should not cross. There is a (maybe too subtle for you?) distinction between making it difficult to be on a forum, and making it impossible. Context is everything. Responsibility is another.

Ronald
Spoiler:
I followed Time until The End and I cannot even buy a chirping T-shirt.

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:01 pm UTC

As I said earlier, we're aware the joke ... well, sucked. But let's regain some perspective about what it was and where you are?

rvloon wrote:
Horus wrote:Cleveland, Ohio's importance a be likened to dat ah a suicide prevention tread.

de topic certainly seems to draw out everyone's flair for de dramatic
I made de analogy dat if it were, it would be headline news.
Yeah, so you're going to stick with that analogy not being overly dramatic? ... alright, I guess. Maybe we have different ideas of what 'headline news' means. Or maybe you need to be reminded that we actually have a suicide support thread on the forums and be assured that we wouldn't dream of pranking it.

rvloon wrote:...deh be some lines you should no cross. deh be a (maybe too subtle for you?) distinction between a mek it difficult a be pon a forum, an' a mek it impossible. Context be everyting.
Yes, yes. That's it. My subtle meter is broken. Thanks for pointing that out, I'll have to get it recalibrated the next time I'm at the Subtle store.

But speaking of subtle details that result in dramatic over exaggerations, it was a thread that you couldn't access for 4 hours.

So yeah, context is everything. Well, that and irony.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Re: Very Model Of A big man ting General Furious Doodling 20

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:10 pm UTC

Thread, not forum; couldn't post in, not impossible to be on; and 4 hours.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:26 pm UTC

I've mostly been watching this mod madness from an amused distance unlike previous iterations, but now's as good a time as any to chime in.

A great many people find this period amusing and look forward to it (of which the moderators are only a small portion). It's part of why we keep doing it: if the userbase universally hated it, even the amusement of the moderators couldn't justify its continuation. But there is always, always one or two people who decides to throw a fit about it. It's why I encourage people who aren't amused by our antics to think of it as a three day server maintenance. If it upsets you, don't partake. All will return to normal soon.

In previous years I've handed out temp bans for people who lack perspective enough to take that advice. Not as punishment, but simply to make their perception into reality: you feel the forum is unusable and unenjoyable during this period, now it is actually unusable. You can come back when it will actually be useful to you.

That seems pointless today, but SBN, rvloon, I urge you to take a step back and breathe.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

SFX

Postby SFX » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:02 pm UTC

This is my favorite April fools messing with the forum ever.

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:10 pm UTC

Happy Birthday, 4d
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:20 pm UTC

Wow! The big 4-0! That's quite an anniversary.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:43 pm UTC

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Happy Birthday, 4d
I'm glad somebody is using this thread for its true purpose.
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:22 pm UTC

rvloon wrote:deh be a (maybe too subtle for you?) distinction between a mek it difficult a be pon a forum, an' a mek it impossible. Context be everyting. Responsibility be anudder.

Goosfraba, internetter. You are fully in control of whether and how you use this board, to the exact same degree as any other regular user. It's only "impossible" for you to use the board within the context of your personal preference for one thread over all others. Keep that in mind as you are hoist with the petard of your own self-righteous indignation.
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:53 pm UTC

Belial wrote:Me mostly been watching dis Very Model Of A big man ting General Furious Doodling from an amused distance unlike previous iterations, but meow's as jammin a time as any to chime in.

A great many people dem find dis period amusing an' look forward to it (ah which de moderators be only a squeasey portion). it part ah why we keep a do it: if de userbase universally hated it, even de amusement ah de moderators couldn't justify it continuation. But deh be always, always one or two people dem who decides to throw a fit about it. it why I encourage people dem who no amused by our antics a tink ah it as a tree day server maintenance. If it upsets you, nuh partake. All goin return to cromulent soon.

In previous years Me handed out temp bans for people dem who lack perspective enough a tek dat advice. no as punishment, but simply to mek dey perception into reality: you feel de forum be unusable an' unenjoyable during dis period, meow it be actually unusable. You kyan come Bach when it goin actually be useful to you.

dat seems pointless today, but SBN, rvloon, I urge you a tek a step Bach an' breathe.

I have no problem with the whole word filtering. It's not my cup of tea, as its amusement value for me is worth all of 5 minutes, but that's not the reason I chimed in. Someone crossed a line beyond the harmless, and I spoke up about it. But I don't want to reiterate my point, as the whole discussion has by now degenerated into namecalling anyway. (Not you personally, mind you. Righteous indignation? Really?)

So, consider the topic closed. I only came back because of a PM.

Ronald
Spoiler:
I followed Time until The End and I cannot even buy a chirping T-shirt.

Klear

Postby Klear » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:04 pm UTC

rvloon wrote:Someone crossed a line beyond de harmless, an' I spoke up about it.

I know you possibly won't read this reply, but "beyond de harmless"? Really, locking a thread doesn't harm anyone, only in the most superficial way.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:47 pm UTC

And y'know the righteous indignation began before the lockening but whatevs, brah
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:48 pm UTC

rvloon wrote:namecalling

Where?

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:58 pm UTC

Yeah, I called you "Monique"
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Jar'O'Jam

Re: Very Model Of A big broseph ting General Furious Doodlin

Postby Jar'O'Jam » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:00 pm UTC

I see the mods have outdone themselves once again :)
Agronica - my musical outlet for the past couple of years - give it a listen at Soundcloud

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Re: Very Model ah A big broseph ting General Furious Doodlin

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:18 pm UTC

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:yah broseph, I called you "Monique"

You you you... pancake burger!
Was it noob? is that the name? Cause anybody who is all 'mod madness is bullying and why are you doing this' is getting called a noob.

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Re: Very Model ah A big broseph ting General Furious Doodlin

Postby Azrael » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:34 pm UTC

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:yah broseph, I ...

This needs to be immortalized.

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Re: Very Model Of A big broseph ting General Furious Doodlin

Postby Weeks » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:48 pm UTC

I agree
TaintedDeity wrote:Tainted Deity
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Dthen wrote:FUCK CHRISTMAS FUCK EVERYTHING FUCK YOU TOO FUCK OFF

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Re: Mod Madness 2014 : The Announcement

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:30 pm UTC

Fantastic Idea wrote:
rvloon wrote:namecalling

Where?

namecalling.png

>:( >:( >:(

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:46 am UTC

Bakey, go cuddle your spawn for a while.

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:47 am UTC

Wait, over already? The one from last year seemed to last like, 2 weeks, or something.

Anyway, yeah, I think next year effort could be put so that everyone has fun, not only the mods, I recall last year there was lots of fun and I was looking forward to what happened this year. What did I get? Threats of banning and the feel I was being bullied out of the whole thing. It was a relief to know I wasn't the only one thinking like this.

Also:

SecondTalon wrote:Are you a member of The Truly Free or FF00BF BFFs? Now would be a good time to back-up your avatars and signatures.

:wink: :wink:

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:04 am UTC

Offered temporary bans every year. Counted as a forum game in the past. Reduces frustration (supposedly). Lifts after Moderator Madness, similar to wordfilters, titles, thread locks, and username colors.

Question: What would you have done differently?

Sidethought: How many people were temporarily banned? Guesses three.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:07 am UTC

Vytron wrote:Wait, over already? The one from last year seemed to last like, 2 weeks, or something.

Anyway, yeah, I think next year effort could be put so that everyone has fun, not only the mods, I recall last year there was lots of fun and I was looking forward to what happened this year. What did I get? Threats of banning and the feel I was being bullied out of the whole thing. It was a relief to know I wasn't the only one thinking like this.

Also:

SecondTalon wrote:Are you a member of The Truly Free or FF00BF BFFs? Now would be a good time to back-up your avatars and signatures.

:wink: :wink:

Yeah, that's pretty much how it always goes. Accusations of bullying fired at the mods, people complaining endlessly about a small forum having an event that lasts not even a fortnight, and worst of all - no one getting all of my jokes.

That last one. That's the one that hurts.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:38 am UTC

Vytron wrote:Wait, over already? The one from last year seemed to last like, 2 weeks, or something.

Pretty much everything was the same previous years, including the duration, the fun for all but a tiny minority, the temp-bans for those who can't avoid whining incessantly instead of simply taking a short break, and the accusations that we are the gestappo.

Edit: eh, ninja'd a bit by ST. But seriously about accusations of bullying--the Time wiki started calling us all bullies before last year's madness was even over. The only difference was that this year the playground you're able to enjoy because we keep the site free of spam and trolls and such was closed for four hours.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:00 am UTC

Look, mods, you're just unaware of how much grief you caused because it's too subtle for you.
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.

studyinserendipity
~Hanners~

Postby studyinserendipity » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:10 am UTC

awww, I logged in and all the cool filters were gone :( That was super-epic and I loved it so very much <3

Reading feels so.... ho-hum now.
People wanted for hazardous journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honor and recognition in case of success.

she/her/hers

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:17 am UTC

Weeks wrote:Look, mods, you're just unaware of how much grief you caused because it's too subtle for you.

*thump*

*thump* *thump*

Well shit, my subtle meter has just been a broken alarm clock my whole life?

... I guess that explains quite a bit, actually.

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:31 am UTC

It's still right twice a day. Or something.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:40 am UTC

Weeks wrote:Look, mods, you're just unaware of how much grief you caused because it's too subtle for you.

It's like pterodactyl, where the t is subtle.

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:44 am UTC

It's that the p is silent in pterodactyl, unlike the bullying. And your face.

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:18 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Sciscitor wrote:
Mighty Jala... Hala... whatever, a fucking pepper wrote:Consideration denied.

'twas no request.

No no no.. what *I* did to you just now was ... how do the kids say it? pwning?
See you in 24 hours!

As was stated later, I see you excel in being funny. Some time you may even try witty.
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:31 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:the fun for all but a tiny minority

Looked more like fun for a minority (mainly, the mods - though even them looked distressed about it, i.e. it was claimed these days were free for the maintenance of their minds, but most of the time they didn't appear to have fun, and mostly were annoyed by user reactions and discussing with upset users.)

Deva wrote:Question: What would you have done differently?

I guess I'd like if things were taken with a bit of more humor. For instance, all the sporking lgw got after his "may not come back" message felt overboard and undeserved, okay for a back-and-forth poking, but not when the guy may not even be reading your replies. Don't know if lgw had a past about it, and deserved it, but out of context it doesn't look fun at all.

This goes to both sides, of course, but I agree with SBN that we need an unfiltered thread (which has been shown to be possible with the exclusion of the Time thread from this) to discuss the Madness next year, because, a lot of the problem was caused because people were misunderstanding what SBN was trying to say.

Compare:

-People are threatened to be banned if they talk about the Time thread in the thread

to

-People talking about the Time thread in the thread have their speech changed to something funny (Cleveland, ducks)

The latter happened, and it was hilarious, so the first one wasn't necessary.

It is true that the actual bans were pretty much non-existent, but I agree with SBN it was just because people were actually afraid to post. There's nothing fun with fear. So I think other methods to dealing with whiners and annoyance can be devised, instead of a ban button, like, say, a person's avatar and sig are changed to something funny, and they can't change them back until madness is over, or something.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:13 am UTC

The time thread was locked for longer than was originally intended because the report about it being locked was condescending and mean and hurt our feelings.

Words hurt, yo.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:40 am UTC

I hope my original message wasn't taken too seriously, because it wasn't meant to be serious (that's why I used a movie quote).
NoMouse wrote:Wh​at t​he fr​ak? T​he T​ime thr​ead i​s lock​ed?

YO​U MA​NIACS! YO​U BL​EW I​T U​P!
A​H, DA​MN Y​OU! G​OD, DA​MN Y​OU AL​L T​O HEL​L!

Edit: Ok, that was too big.
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Re: Mod Madness 2: The Double-Posting

Postby Felstaff » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:04 am UTC

NoMouse wrote:I hope my original message wasn't taken too seriously, because it wasn't meant to be serious (that's why I used a movie quote).
NoMouse wrote:Wh​at t​he fr​ak? T​he T​ime thr​ead i​s lock​ed?

YO​U MA​NIACS! YO​U BL​EW I​T U​P!
A​H, DA​MN Y​OU! G​OD, DA​MN Y​OU AL​L T​O HEL​L!

Edit: Ok, that was too big.

Don't worry, it wasn't. In fact, that was the very spirit we wished to foster; a sense of outrage and surprise, but ultimately a thing done in jest.

Re: remarkable sense of self-entitlement that appears to permeate this thread from whingers: a rebuke

Cease this self-entitled attitude, forthwith. For 373 days (and continuing), you have had the freedom of unfettered access to your community, save the few times the entire forum went down. Those with moderator privileges have been filtering out spam for you, removing trolls from you, dealing with complaints for you, and ensuring your little community remains unmolested and free to thrive in an enjoyable and safe atmosphere. How many man-hours have gone into this maintenance? Let us look at the moderator logs. A search for all logs relating to the time thread results in 1378 results. Here is a taster:
mod-logs-for-time-thread.jpg
There are 28 pages of this

Even giving each log action a very modest estimate of 5 minutes to deal with, you're looking at 114 hours of time and effort by a bunch of people who aren't even invested in your subculture. But we do it because it's important to you guys, as is the rest of the forum to everybody.

Nothing done this year deviated from what had been done other years. It was announced globally, and you had plenty of time to prepare/organise a short holiday/just deal with what gets thrown at you. Threads have been locked before... It's a thing we do. Call it shock tactics. We take a large/popular thread, and lock it for a short time. If you'd taken the time to acquaint yourself with how the rest of the forum operates, particularly at this time of year, you'd be aware with what happens to people who really really want to kick up a stink because they feel somewhat oppressed (they get temp-banned until the madness is over for the sole reason of 'they are bringing the vibe down and we're sick of their mule-like whining'). People in the science and maths subforums complain (quite rightly) and say they are going to take a break for a few days, because the filters invariably screw up a lot of maths-related coding, but they come back a few days later and resume as normal 'cause they understand that the moderators do a thankless fucking job for them the other 51-and-a-bit weeks of the year. We appreciate this attitude. What we don't appreciate are a small few yelling 'help! help! I'm being oppressed!' and equating a temporary thread-lock being tantamount to bullying (it simply is not). The inflation of self-importance from the vocal minority who spilt out of the time thread (hi, I don't know you and I'm not acquainted with your jargon!) has been ludicrous and infuriating, particularly the ordering around of what the mods should do, and the only downside to what I thought was a rather ingenious year for mod madness. (A lot of people have learned the basics of a new dialect as a result!)

In summary: stop complaining with this sense of self-entitlement that your basic human rights are being somehow trampled; it is not becoming. This thread will soon be consigned to the boneyard the second page in general, into which no-one has ever ventured, so heed these words now, and go back to your favourite place in the whole wide web, secure in the knowledge that you have your own safe and free community to indulge in, and that there exists a group of silent observers to ensure your happiness and wellbeing are being duly looked after, until such time as this forum ceases to exist.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Carlington

Re: Mod Madness 2: The Double-Posting

Postby Carlington » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:07 am UTC

Felstaff wrote:We're the moderator staff you deserve. Just not the one you need right now.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:09 am UTC

We all know SecondTalon is the goddamn batman.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:15 am UTC

something something batman → badman something appropriate wordfilter something wrong dialect.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

Return to “General”