Strange or even mildly amusing things about your body

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

existential_squirrrel

Re: Strange or even mildly amusing things about your body

Postby existential_squirrrel » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:13 pm UTC

I also forgot to mention that I have trigger finger. this causes one of my fingers to lock up so that it will not move unless I force it back into a normal position
courage is about knowing when to pick yourself up and whisper to yourself, "I will try again tomorrow"
http://http://stats.free-dc.org/cpidtagb.php?cpid=f0b63432195be1a8665b08c414e36545&theme=12&cols=1

JoeyJo0

Postby JoeyJo0 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:02 pm UTC

2 of my (past) girlfriends have told me that my eyes change color according to lightning. In day-light, they're green-blueish, but in a warmer environment(my room with lights on) my eyes are gray. Or something.
Ell (to Hintss) wrote:No, you can't see who has foed you. Be glad, because the list would probably be long enough to give you carpal tunnel if you tried to scroll through it.

Darkscull

Postby Darkscull » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:20 pm UTC

JoeyJo0 wrote:2 of my (past) girlfriends have told me that my eyes change color according to lightning. In day-light, they're green-blueish, but in a warmer environment(my room with lights on) my eyes are gray. Or something.

Sounds a bit dangerous to test :P

Actually, my eyes do the same. Most of the time they go between grey, grey-blue and blue, but occasionally there's green in there as well. Changing eye colour is awesome.
Physicists do it in an excited state.
m/bi/UK/Ⓐ/chaotic good
b. 1988 d. 20xx

Tiem

Postby Tiem » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:43 am UTC

I have...a very high amount of strange things going on with my body. :mrgreen:

First of all, I have a lot of strangely shaped scars. Especially one shaped like a penguin on my hand, and a mark around the corner of my eye shaped like a heart that only shows when I smile.

I have a knee that I can crack indefinitely. I counted 60 times in one sitting once.

I can stretch my toes on my left foot so far apart that you could fit a flashlight between them, and I can pop three of my left hand fingers out of their joints.

Finally, I can flare my nostrils and open my eyes much wider than a normal person.

*takes a bow* 8)
To do list:

-kidnap Randall
-take his hands
-hire Eames from Inception
-make nachos

Rek

Postby Rek » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:05 am UTC

Tiem wrote:I have...a very high amount of strange things going on with my body. :mrgreen:
I have a knee that I can crack indefinitely. I counted 60 times in one sitting once.

Similar, I can crack my right wrist indefinitely. I can also click my tongue extremely loud.
Words Win Wars

Levi

Postby Levi » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:18 am UTC

I can crack both my ankles indefinitely.

IcedT

Postby IcedT » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:54 am UTC

Somebody once told me that I have very small toenails. I haven't stopped comparing them to other peoples' nails since.

Sockmonkey

Postby Sockmonkey » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:59 pm UTC

My eyes do the color change bit too. It seems to be common among people with blue-green eyes. When I move my ears I can shift my glasses foreward and back so I like to pretend I"m focusing them like a microscope when I look at something interesting.

levantis

Postby levantis » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:02 pm UTC

I also can move my ears, and I used this to focus my glasses a lot, but I developed the skill before my eyesight got bad from reading in the bed. What`s more, I can move my ears separately. It all started when my french language teacher asked me if I could move my ears, and I wanted to be able to. Now I`ve overcome my teacher )) When I laugh, the ears move. People usually don`t notice, but it annoys me that I can`t relax them until I finish laughing.
I have a 6mm BB bullet stuck in my ear (unfortunately I don`t remember which one) from the 5th grade when I`ve stuck it in (it makes 8 years now). No problems whatsoever, even during scuba diving, flying airplanes or cold winters.
I had an eye color shift, but only once. I was dead sure it happened that time, but I could never replicate it even with the same lighting and position relative to the mirror.
I also (as fjafjan) can half-swallow things. I developped this one when washing my mouth after brushing my teeth (I hate this strange tongue coating you get afterwards).
Earlier, I could pop the finger joints out of their nesting half a centimeter, but it`s uncomfortable now.
I can widen and also narrow my nostrils. They lock wide when I breath heavily.
I move almost all my toes separately and flex the last joint both directions (up to 90-100 degrees in the strange one).

Nothing especially strange, but quite funny. Also, I`ve never seen someone do the last one, but it may be very usual. Can somebody tell me?

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:06 pm UTC

Rek wrote:Similar, I can crack my right wrist indefinitely.

Please tell me I'm not alone in doing this: clench hand, make fist, rotate wrist. Is that how you do it?
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:38 pm UTC

Eye Color Changing People

Just remember that your eyes aren't actually changing color, and we'll get along fine.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Nemphael

Postby Nemphael » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:58 pm UTC

nbonaparte wrote:

Please tell me I'm not alone in doing this: clench hand, make fist, rotate wrist. Is that how you do it?

Same here, with both wrists.

Chai Kovsky

Postby Chai Kovsky » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:27 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Eye Color Changing People

Just remember that your eyes aren't actually changing color, and we'll get along fine.

You mean the amount of melanin made and the density of proteins in the stroma don't change?!
Spoiler:
kellsbells wrote:¡This Chai is burning me!
Chai Kovsky wrote:I can kill you with my brain.

That is all.
superglucose wrote:In other words: LISTEN TO CHAI.
Delayra wrote:Yet another brilliant idea from Chai!

I <3 Pirate.Bondage!

Sockmonkey

Postby Sockmonkey » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:14 pm UTC

Lev, is it possible the BB fell out a while back? It seems like the doc would have otherwise noticed it during your annual check up.

sodium

Postby sodium » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:12 am UTC

I have a twisted ribcage. You can't tell through normal clothes, but if you are really looking for it you can see it when I'm in a swimsuit.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:46 pm UTC

Chai Kovsky wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:Eye Color Changing PeopleJust remember that your eyes aren't actually changing color, and we'll get along fine.
You mean the amount of melanin made and the density of proteins in the stroma don't change?!
Well, not in a day-to-day way, no. Throughout life, possibly.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

viscusanima

Postby viscusanima » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:07 pm UTC

I have a tiny little nub of something (maybe bone?) just under the surface of my right shin. I can wiggle it back and forward in a limited range of motion. I'm pretty sure it shouldn't be there. I am cool with this.

femtometer

Postby femtometer » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:56 pm UTC

- I have a big ol' mole on my stomach. I keep tabs on it, and I'll get it removed if I ever need to, but I'll be sad if that ever has to happen

- I can pop all of the tendons around on my knuckles when I'm making a fist

- I can stand up and while keeping my knees straight, I can touch my whole palms to the ground (certified hyper-flexible by a physiologist)

- I'm about one centimeter away from the world's longest recorded tongue. At least, I was a few years ago, they might have found longer ones by now...

ssbookyu123

Postby ssbookyu123 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:19 pm UTC

My left ear has a chip on the top of it and for some reason I have a series of scars that if you connect them looks kinda like a duck. Also I have found random white hairs on my head ever since I was 9 not enough to give me salt and pepper hair but only one or three a a time.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:20 pm UTC

viscusanima wrote:I have a tiny little nub of something (maybe bone?) just under the surface of my right shin. I can wiggle it back and forward in a limited range of motion. I'm pretty sure it shouldn't be there. I am cool with this.
If it's a bit like bone, but near a joint, it's probably excess cartilage. I have some on my wrist.

It's better than not having enough cartilage.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

viscusanima

Postby viscusanima » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:23 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:
viscusanima wrote:I have a tiny little nub of something (maybe bone?) just under the surface of my right shin. I can wiggle it back and forward in a limited range of motion. I'm pretty sure it shouldn't be there. I am cool with this.
If it's a bit like bone, but near a joint, it's probably excess cartilage. I have some on my wrist.

It's better than not having enough cartilage.

It's nowhere near a joint. I'd say it's about just over halfway up my shin, on/slightly to the left of the front of the shin bone itself. I've no idea what it is.

Rek

Postby Rek » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:08 pm UTC

nbonaparte wrote:

I don't really clench or make a fist though. I just let me fingers hand then rotate my wrist in a circular motion. Maybe a little clenching.
Words Win Wars

mickyj300x

Postby mickyj300x » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:16 am UTC

-My toes click when I walk,
-I can turn one of my feet around 270 degrees,
-and I can stretch my pinky fingers out to about 85 degrees from their resting position.

Woopate
Scrapple

Postby Woopate » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:39 am UTC

My canines are quite long and pointed, compared to most people. Yep. I have vampire fangs.

I straight up invert my sleep schedule twice a week, without any fatigue. Not really a body thing, but people get creeped out by it.

Cassaster

Postby Cassaster » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:26 pm UTC

I have an extra bone right under my ankle in my foot which looks like a second ankle. I didn't realize this wasn't normal until a couple years ago when I told a friend that bone was messed up...and he had no idea what I was talking about. It explains why ever time I roller skated and roller bladed growing up that area would bleed. They aren't made to accomodate it.

I also have a massive scar down my right arm running both sides where I had a tendon transplant a couple years ago. They took a tendon from the top part of my arm and moved it down to the bottom to compensate for some nerve damage I've had as long as I could remember. They couldn't fix the nerves, but could make it to where a different nerve and muscle group control the middle two fingers of my right hand (which used to have about 50% of full extension). Furthermore, as a result of never having fully used the muscle that moves those fingers, it's completely atrophied to the point of having a sunken in spot running my arm where the muscle should be. It makes my arm look like its extremely defined to most, but is definitely atrophy. :)

scienceroboticspunk

Postby scienceroboticspunk » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:09 pm UTC

My blue-hazel eyes change color depending on my mood, its how my friends can tell how I am feeling.
I have a scar on my left hand that looks like a llama and gets more intricate every year.
these are words
type, type, type

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:01 pm UTC

I will never get tired of all the things people think can change eye color.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

not good at these things

Postby not good at these things » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:12 pm UTC

I was born with an extra toe.

It had a nail and bone and was attached to my left pinky toe and I got to learn how to count to 21 using all my toes and fingers while most children stopped at 20.

But doctors cut the toe off when I was about 8 or 9, something about it bothering my feet as they grow. The extra toe was webbed to the pinky toe and the pinky toe was webbed to it's neighbor. I guess my insurance is minimum because they just cut off whatever was extra bone and now my pinky toe is really fat and still webbed to the one next to it. It looks funny and I love showing it off.

scienceroboticspunk

Postby scienceroboticspunk » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:01 pm UTC

Torvaun wrote:I will never get tired of all the things people think can change eye color.

There is picture evidence from film cameras... just need to find the pictures
these are words
type, type, type

Chai Kovsky

Postby Chai Kovsky » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:59 pm UTC

Of course dear. It's not changing light or angle conditions. It's your mood. I have light eyes. I did an experiment a couple days ago: when I was far from a mirror, my eyes were grey. When I was close, they were green. I don't think my eyes change color based on how far I stand from a mirror (they have mirror awareness!)

My body has a multitude of strange things about it, primarily its tendency to dislocate or sublux my joints very easily. But the weirdest of these is when my left shoulder, which has progressively become less stable as my connective tissue deteriorates. Theoretically, this instability makes it prone to sublux and dislocation all the time. In practice, it only ever comes out when I'm sitting cross-legged and resting my elbows on my knees.

Whiskey-tango-foxtrot, body? Whiskey-tango-foxtrot?
Spoiler:
kellsbells wrote:¡This Chai is burning me!
Chai Kovsky wrote:I can kill you with my brain.

That is all.
superglucose wrote:In other words: LISTEN TO CHAI.
Delayra wrote:Yet another brilliant idea from Chai!

I <3 Pirate.Bondage!

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:13 am UTC

Torvaun wrote:I will never get tired of all the things people think can change eye color.

Depending on the current number of discovered natural satellites of Jupiter, my eyes change from green to greenish blue! It's true.
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

Lumpy
I can has morbid obesity?

Postby Lumpy » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:07 pm UTC

I have two nipples on one areola, one five times bigger than the other. They used to be more connected but they broke off and became separate. after vigorous exercise in 7th grade. I didn't know the fancy name for it before today but I found out it's "unilateral intra-areolar polethelia." Interestingly it is correlated with higher incident of kidney and urinary tract problems (like doubled ureters), but I don't think I have that.

i_ll_winn

Postby i_ll_winn » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:11 pm UTC

My eyes also appear to be different colors due to environmental changes, but that might be because everyone's eyes do that. My eyes go from a vibrant teal to a light gray. Some of my friends' eyes go from blue to green, and one of theirs goes from green with yellow specks, to brown with no specks.
My girlfriend has nipples the exact same color as her skin no matter what.
There is no enemy anywhere, only idiots with weapons.
My life is worthless, how I affect others is priceless.
Spoiler:

RabbitWho

Postby RabbitWho » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:04 am UTC

I'm sure I'm not the first person to say this, but I can lick my elbow.

http://catharsisky.deviantart.com/

(Scroll down to the ID, I didn't have a wart on my tongue that's an inexplicable shadow)

arguingdoughnuts

Postby arguingdoughnuts » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:39 am UTC

I'm missing a bone in my chest. It's concavey. It's weiiiiiird to touch.

Overdosed on Apathy

Postby Overdosed on Apathy » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:47 pm UTC

I have a little place on my arm where the skin has less melatonin, or something, because it's always the same shade as the rest of my skin, unless I get a tan. And if I get a tan, that little spot on my upper arm stays my regular skin tone, and looks insanely like Hawaii.
Humanity fueled my fear and greed - Cultivate and kill, it's our great legacy.
So much death to undo, but here's a clue: If we can build a bomb, can't we build heaven too?
Nah. Let's make life a living hell.

sir2you

Postby sir2you » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:34 am UTC

I can talk while breathing in. It sounds forced and proper inflection is impossible, and sometimes I choke... But when I do it I can either make my voice squeaky chipmunk high or demon from hell low.
„‹•**•›„„‹•*„‹•**•›„„‹•*„‹•* "There are two ways to live your life; as if nothing is *•›„„‹•**•›„*•›„„‹•**•›„*•›„
*•›„*•›„„‹•**•›„*•›„„‹•**•›„ a miracle, or as if everything is a miracle." - Einstein „‹•*„‹•**•›„„‹•*„‹•**•›„„‹•*

Manticorehunter

Postby Manticorehunter » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:27 am UTC

I have partial heterochromia, so my right eye is blue and my left eye is blue on top and brown on the bottom. Most of my friends only noticed this after having known me for years, but then sometimes random people on the street will point it out, so maybe my friends are just not perceptive.

I also have knees which crack loudly whenever I crouch. It's sort of embarrassing.

I also have a long, thin scar that wraps almost entirely around my upper arm. It looks like I could have got it while sword fighting, but actually my rat gave it to me when he almost fell off my shoulder. Pretty lame, I know.

Aetius

Postby Aetius » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:36 am UTC

Hair grows faster on the right side than the left. I look utterly ridiculous when I haven't shaved for a day or two.

Levi

Postby Levi » Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:35 am UTC

When I hold my left arm out in front of me with my hands and fingers straigtened, my ring finger involuntarily vibrates back and forth. This only happens with my left hand, and I can't replicate the movement by trying. I can do it whenever I want, but it's something that happens without consciously doing it, unlike walking or waving my arm or whatever. I can get it to stop if I try. I'm a little bit worried that I might have some sort of neurological disease, but I'm young, it's one specific thing, and being able to stop it seems like a good sign.

Return to “General”