Strange or even mildly amusing things about your body

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Savoy_Truffle

Re: Strange or even mildly amusing things about your body

Postby Savoy_Truffle » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:38 am UTC

mrorange wrote:for some unknown reason just now my right ear is making a strange, very internal, squelch/crunch noise whenever i open my jaw very wide... it seems to be receding the more i do it, but still. odd.

Is there any pain? It sounds like TMJ issues (I have the same, except it's more of a clicking noise).
Lux, Calida, Gravis que Pura velut aurum et canunt angeli moliter modo natum.

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:52 am UTC

Zohar wrote:I can do something weird with my ears. I'm not sure what, but there's some sort of internal muscle that makes it so I can hear a rumbling in my ears (kind of like a cat's purr). It takes concentration and disguises sound from outside a bit. I don't seen any external differenced when I do it.

:shock: I can absolutely, totally do this too! I have never mentioned it to anyone, but I make my ears make the noise occasionally when I'm concentrating. I hear that roar/rumble in my ears when I make a "focused" face (like Hiro in Heroes) or I can do it on command with no change in facial expression. I'm not really sure what you other guys meant about the tongue muscles thing. It feels like I'm flexing some kind of ear muscle.

Oh, and I guess I have a wandering eye... nobody ever notices it, but I can make my right eye "unplug" from what I'm looking at and drift over to the right corner if I want it to. I suspect it probably isn't good for me, though, so I don't do it often.
A good pun is its own reword.
L wrote:A day without kells is a day not worth living.

joeframbach

Postby joeframbach » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:59 am UTC

I wish I had paid attention to this thread from page 1. There's a lot of interesting things in here.
So I read the last two pages.

Talents: I can hold my body perpendicular to the ground with my hands on the ground (elbows on the hips, hands flat on the ground).
I can (and usually do when given the chance) ascend 10 stair-steps (I don't know the word) in two steps.

Birthmark: ugly blob on the backside of my left knee.

Ear-moving: check.
One eyebrow-raise: check.
Neck-cracking w/o assistance: check.
Ear purring noise thing: check.
Eye twitching thing: check.

Scar: I fell while roller blading down a very steep hill when I was 8. It was fast enough to tear away the skin on my elbow to the bone. It doesn't help that I was nothing but skin and bones anyway. It left a nice scar, though.
Scar 2: I cut my index finger with a razor blade while cutting carpeting. Pretty damn deep too. That left a nice scar.
Scar 3: My backside is a minefield from dozens of pimples.

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:06 am UTC

I have one dimple. For approximately 65% of my life, I had no dimples.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

Zak

Postby Zak » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:07 am UTC

joeframbach wrote:Talents: I can hold my body perpendicular to the ground with my hands on the ground (elbows on the hips, hands flat on the ground).

oh! me do this too!

i seem to be saying that alot...
*waggles eyebrows*

Dr. Canadian Ninja

Postby Dr. Canadian Ninja » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:12 am UTC

grubznug wrote:I can pop my ears/"depressurise" on airplanes very easily with the same muscle, so I consider it a super power.

Opening the Eustachian tubes. I can do that too, plus it makes diving much easier when you don't have to keep doing the Valsalva maneuver to equalize.
SecondTalon wrote:Know what I hate? The complete lack of electric bass guitar in Baroque stuff. I mean, come on!

Artemisia

Postby Artemisia » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:20 am UTC

I am covered in scars since I fell through a window when I was 9. But I don't even remember them being there until somebody asks me about them.

Also, when I yawn, my jaw opens so wide sometimes I can't close my mouth for a good second because of a lump on the side of my jaw bone, if that description makes sense? It feels really weird, and sometimes even scary. It makes me trying not to yawn in public :shock:

this being my third post, i feel I might weird people out about me :P I really *look* perfectly normal.
This too shall pass

Rhiever

Postby Rhiever » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:39 am UTC

Hmmm... okay...

My toes are all normal except for the 'index' toes. For some reason, they both curve outward until they bump into the middle toes. I think it's the result of wearing shoes that were too small when my feet were growing.

joff

Postby joff » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:28 pm UTC

Drunk Male Prostitute wrote:I could grow a full beard at age sixteen.

Same here. Grows pretty quickly too.

I once got a bad head cold, and as a result, for a while every time I'd fall asleep, I'd stop breathing and immediately wake up again (I guess it was Sleep Apneia?) I ended up staying awake for 7 days in row, with NO sleep at all. It was utterly awful :-/
mostly_true_comics wrote:...we're forgetting about the geopolitical ramifications of such an incursion. If you think the Morloks, Molemen, and Lord Kinbote are going to sit still while you tunnel through their territory, think again.

28/♂/hetero/NZ

Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:37 pm UTC

@Artemisia: Actually, I think people want to see those scars. If anything, this thread won't be your downfall here. It's being an arsehole that will get you booted from the pub, savvy?

@joff: Sleep Apnea, or Apnoea. Or that funny one with the combined 'o' and 'e'. And yeah, that's pretty much what it is, even if it isn't the same cause as the actual condition.
Belial wrote:You are giving me the tools to sodomize my vast imagination, and for this I am grateful.

PM Me, if you care for a chat.

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:44 pm UTC

Oh, I didn't think to mention those. I didn't know that the eyebrow thing was a big deal.

segmentation fault

Postby segmentation fault » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:44 pm UTC

i hate the fact that more than one person said i have "hobbit feet"

(they are hairy)
people are like LDL cholesterol for the internet

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:45 pm UTC

In public school my brother was known as the King of the Hobbits because he had hairy feet and was tall.

Artemisia

Postby Artemisia » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:39 pm UTC

Insignificant Deification wrote:@Artemisia: Actually, I think people want to see those scars. If anything, this thread won't be your downfall here. It's being an arsehole that will get you booted from the pub, savvy?

Thanks :) nah, I'm not really worried, it's just one of those quirks/unique body things that are hard to hide IRL and the internets are a great place to hide them, so why confess it there? But I think xkcd is such a cool place I didn't really feel weird. My aunt has that jaw-thing too actually.

Concerning scars: It is actually very hard to show them all in a single photo, and I would have to undress a fair deal too. And yea, I know people here wouldn't mind that neither ;)
This too shall pass

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:15 pm UTC

Z.A.K wrote:
joeframbach wrote:Talents: I can hold my body perpendicular to the ground with my hands on the ground (elbows on the hips, hands flat on the ground).

oh! me do this too!

i seem to be saying that alot...

Hey, me too! Wow, we seem to have the same body quirks... mysterious!
A good pun is its own reword.
L wrote:A day without kells is a day not worth living.

Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:32 pm UTC

@Artemisia: I think just a general picture would be more than fine. Most people post themselves anyway. I've never seen anyone with numerous accidental scars (plenty with intentional, but that's different, jah?).

Incidentally: I am hypersensitive.
Belial wrote:You are giving me the tools to sodomize my vast imagination, and for this I am grateful.

Daeren Ryft

Postby Daeren Ryft » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:07 pm UTC

I can pop my thumbs, if you guys know what that means. Like, it can bend back really far with a bit of a pop on the joint. I also have hitch-hiker's thumb, so I'm pretty much set if I need to hitch-hike.
I can also crack my neck by bending it, and by bending over backwards and pressing on it with my thumbs I can crack my back. And my toes, by curling them. I'm gonna have horrible arthritis when I'm 50.
My teeth attract plaque like peasants attract hungry dragons.
I have short fingers. And tiny feet. Like, 8 1/2s.
My eyes can change colors in different shades of light. (But only from green-blue to green-grey)
When it comes to scars, I have one crescent-shaped, nearly invisible one around my right eye orbit from when my brother thought "Snowball fight" meant "Hurl ice at unprotected areas fight", one on my arm from...well, before I took antidepressants, and one on my leg from my damn cats.
SecondTalon wrote:Did I mention that Robert Frost drives a rocket-car that's powered by constantly firing shotguns in my world?

Artemisia

Postby Artemisia » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:31 pm UTC

I_D: to show them I would have to make a picture intentionally for showing them, they're not *that* obvious. However, I will post a pic of myself when I get to it :)
This too shall pass

Aerol

Postby Aerol » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:03 pm UTC

My elbows click when I bend my arms. It's nothing huge but it sounds awfully weird if someone is close enough to hear it.

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:43 pm UTC

That sometimes also happens to me.

DJorgensen

Postby DJorgensen » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:51 am UTC

A lot of my joints pop - starting from the bottom:
Knees, tailbone, spine, breastbone, collar bone, fingers, wrists, elbows, shoulders, neck.
This has always been the case for me. My collar bone really pops and I was never good at doing push-ups due to the repetitive motion (and popping). I think that I was dropped down the stairs by my sister as a baby....

I've never had a nosebleed. I've been punched in the nose too, just nothing gets that happening.
For that matter I have a hard time bleeding (which is usually a good thing). I used to donate blood though, and the nurses were always very concerned about the fact that it would take me 45 minutes to fill a bag that it too others 5-15 minutes.
I also always find myself getting head rushes, and have really learned to control myself when I am losing consciousness (I rarely fall, and even rarer do I black out from it anymore).

As for other things:
I am able to hyper-extend most of my joints and am extremely flexible.
I can make a perfect wookie noise, among other animals.

Ear-moving: check.
Ear purring noise thing: check.
Eye twitching thing: check.

Scars:
1: Last year I was in a car accident and got a scalp full of glass. Last piece that I found was in November. Underneath my hair, there are some nice lines where there is no hair, and a good patch where the staples were :) I also got a couple of bumps on my ear where glass cut into that (and since cartilage doesn't heal I can still feel the bumps), and a small slice over my nose and eye.
2: When I was younger I fell while running down a gravel road hill when we were camping. We were using my grandparents RV and they stocked it with a medikit from some ancient time. I was picking gravel out of that for a good long time too, but iodine was not the most pleasant antibiotic that could have been put on my wounds.
trap: a device in which something (usually an animal) can be caught and penned.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:04 am UTC

Artemisia wrote:Also, when I yawn, my jaw opens so wide sometimes I can't close my mouth for a good second because of a lump on the side of my jaw bone, if that description makes sense? It feels really weird, and sometimes even scary. It makes me trying not to yawn in public :shock:

This happens to me too! Sometimes I yawn "too hard" and then it feels like I get a cramp right underneath my right jawbone (from my perspective) and it really really really hurts for a while. Usually if it happens once then it will keep happening if I open my mouth too far, and sometimes it keeps happening regardless of how I move my mouth.

The only way I can describe it is a cramp... it feels like some of your muscle has locked up - also the pain is similar.

Where it happens... if you get your right hand and place your finger at the end of your lower jaw on the same side as your hand then slide your finger down until your finger is no longer touching bone, then push in and up a bit - that is where I get the "cramp".
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

someguy

Postby someguy » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:04 am UTC

I can bend my knees backwards; my joints, I was told when I was very young, are (or at least used to be) more flexible than average. Or something to that effect.

I can also 'crack' my wristsright wrist by quickly bending them backwards. But the strangest part is that I can do that as many times as I want! Meaning I don't have to wait for 'air bubbles' (the reason, I've been told, behind cracking joints) to form. Don't do it often, though, it makes me uncomfortable thinking I might somehow hurt myself.
aleflamedyud wrote:Plenty of people have confidence without any base of actual virtue or accomplishment beneath it. We call these people "douchebags".

koneko

Postby koneko » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:17 am UTC

I totally popped my navel piercing today. Spoilered for eww.
Spoiler:
I've been fiddling with it a lot this week and it's been really irritated, seeping a lot, etc. Earlier I could not get a single bit of pus out of it, so I took the piercing out and squeezed... it was like a belly button apocalypse. It was so cool, and it was a bit thicker than the usual consistency. It was almost like the walls of the piercing hole had started to build a pus lining, which tried to retain its shape as it was forced out but couldn't because it was crazy sorta-gelatinousy pus.
ImageImage

Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:30 am UTC

*arches an eyebrow at koneko*

*notes that this post is legal because she hasn't revealed she can do that*

This post has gotten 'the submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.' in excess of twenty times.

koneko

Postby koneko » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:36 am UTC

I'm nOT CraZy!!!! Image
ImageImage

Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:40 am UTC

Didn't say you were, just pointed out that was more than a little odd. :(

koneko

Postby koneko » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:41 am UTC

You'd be the first person then lol
ImageImage

Zak

Postby Zak » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:59 am UTC

Of course you're not crazy! You use apostrophes correctly!
*waggles eyebrows*

btilly

Postby btilly » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:15 am UTC

Z.A.K wrote:Of course you're not crazy! You use apostrophes correctly!

Why do I have an overwhelming desire to annoy by using random apostrophe's incorrectly?
Some of us exist to find out what can and can't be done.

Others exist to hold the beer.

koneko

Postby koneko » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:19 am UTC

I was standing in the checkout line to buy a shirt today. It was full of Dr. Seuss book titles and drawings of different characters, and perfect for me to wear to work. As I step up to the cashier, I notice the words "Fox in Sock's" and I realized I could never, ever wear that shirt. With a single tear, I left the store empty-handed.
ImageImage

Zak

Postby Zak » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:22 am UTC

@btilly: *eyetwitch*
*waggles eyebrows*

DJorgensen

Postby DJorgensen » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:38 am UTC

koneko wrote:I totally popped my navel piercing today. Spoilered for eww.
Spoiler:
I've been fiddling with it a lot this week and it's been really irritated, seeping a lot, etc. Earlier I could not get a single bit of pus out of it, so I took the piercing out and squeezed... it was like a belly button apocalypse. It was so cool, and it was a bit thicker than the usual consistency. It was almost like the walls of the piercing hole had started to build a pus lining, which tried to retain its shape as it was forced out but couldn't because it was crazy sorta-gelatinousy pus.

Yeah, I had my navel pierced for about a month. I was moving a lot of boxes at work and continuously snagged it on everything so it never became a happy piercing and as such I took it out to save myself the grief.

Give it a good hot salt soak and that should cheer it up. It usually pulls the puss out and cleans the piercing nicely. :)
trap: a device in which something (usually an animal) can be caught and penned.

koneko

Postby koneko » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:48 am UTC

I have a nasal saline thing I squirt through it. Makes for a great party trick!
ImageImage

Zak

Postby Zak » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:51 am UTC

I have massive freckles.

Always, even if i don't go out in the sun for a looong time.
*waggles eyebrows*

btilly

Postby btilly » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:46 pm UTC

Z.A.K wrote:@btilly: *eyetwitch*

Dang, I was too obvious about it. :?
Some of us exist to find out what can and can't be done.

Others exist to hold the beer.

unwittingly taciturn

Postby unwittingly taciturn » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:09 pm UTC

right leg is 1/4" shorter than left
can clover my tongue
left eyebrow raises but not the right
only the left side of my mouth can imitate elvis
i have never seen the bottom of my belly button
can stick my ankles behind my head (human pretzel style)
both hips with mild rotations can be popped in and out of the sockets
i have a 25" inseam and a 25" waist.

do people often have the same waist size as the length of their inseam?
i've never thought to ask anyone before

joeframbach

Postby joeframbach » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:36 pm UTC

unwittingly taciturn wrote:i have a 25" inseam and a 25" waist.

do people often have the same waist size as the length of their inseam?
i've never thought to ask anyone before

Yes, I think that is common. I used to be 30x30 back in 10th grade. Then the growth spurt took care of that. I'm currently 33x32, 33x31 during finals week :-/

Edawan

Postby Edawan » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:47 am UTC

Dr. Canadian Ninja wrote:
grubznug wrote:I can pop my ears/"depressurise" on airplanes very easily with the same muscle, so I consider it a super power.
Opening the Eustachian tubes. I can do that too, plus it makes diving much easier when you don't have to keep doing the Valsalva maneuver to equalize.
I can do that too ! I never knew how it was called so thanks :)

Also strangely I knew how to make an ocarina with may hands when I was 10, but didn't manage to whistle normally until 17... even now I can't whistle very loudly.

Me and my sisters all inherited a mole from our mother just above the navel.

I can expand my belly A LOT, almost as if I was pregnant ! (haven't tried it for some time though...)
We are nothing but the nerds they say we are.

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:12 am UTC

If I haven't eaten within a few hours, I can suck my gut RIGHT in. So it's about 2 inches from my spine to my bellybutton. Sometimes less.

I used to do it as a kid to freak people out. ^.^

Also I can "turn off" parts of, or even my entire body if I concentrate a little. It means I don't shiver when cold, don't shudder from heat, don't laugh when tickled, and barely even wince when I take a hit to the knackers. (Yes, I was once stupid enough to let one of my friends have a go whilst I shut myself down. I didn't turn it back on until I had an icepack on my crotch. It was a valuable decision.)

"The People's Eyebrow"

Here's a thing. I play guitar right handed (my left hand does all the fancy stuff on the fretboard), and I am right handed. This is how most right handed people play. But my right hand's fingers are smoother, stronger, and much more naturally dexterous than my left hand's fingers... I'm assuming most right handed people are like this... so why do right handed players, use their left hand to do the fretwork on a guitar? :P
Spoiler:
Also I have a MASSIVE PENIS.
Hehe, just kidding. It's normal. Swear.
No, seriously, it's huge.
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

Return to “General”