How long until more humans live outside of Earth than on it

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

5 Years
No votes
25 Years
No votes
50 Years
No votes
100 Years
3%
200 Years
10%
300 Years
6%
400 Years
5%
500 Years
10%
1,000 Years
11%
2,500 Years
11%
5,000 Years
2%
10,000 Years
2%
25,000 years
No votes
50,000 years
2%
100,000 years
No votes
250,000 years
No votes
500,000 years
No votes
1,000,000 years
No votes
Over 1,000,000 years
No votes
Never
18%
Once I crawl through the mantle of this planet, where I've been trapped for thousands of years, there will be no humans left alive on Earth, so 20-30 years, and then the population of the ISS will exceed the population of Earth before they just starve to death
21%

Total votes: 62

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:28 am UTC

For the sake of the poll, "On Earth" = "within Earth's atmosphere." Pick the smallest number that is larger than your exact guess.
Last edited by Thesh on Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:28 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

Tyndmyr

Re: How long until more humans live outside of Earth than on

Postby Tyndmyr » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:27 pm UTC

Goddammit, missed the last option before clicking.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:28 pm UTC

Re-voting enabled.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:49 pm UTC

Thanks! Because obviously, this isn't going to happen within fifty years unless it has some, ahem, help.

Mokele

Postby Mokele » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:55 pm UTC

The last option's reference to the mantle is clearly wrong, and should be the sunken city of Ry'leh.

Ia Ia Cthulhu ftagn!
"With malleus aforethought, mammals got an earful of their ancestor's jaw" - J. Burns, Biograffiti

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:40 pm UTC

All praise Lavos!
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

brenok
Needs Directions

Postby brenok » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:49 pm UTC

Wake up Sheeple!

setzer777
Good questions sometimes get stupid answers

Postby setzer777 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:01 pm UTC

I think we'll go extinct before we ever set up permanent off-world settlements.
Meaux_Pas wrote:We're here to go above and beyond.

Too infinity
of being an arsehole

tms

Postby tms » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:21 pm UTC

Perhaps in my lifetime this question will become considerably more serious. But spurious is fine!

I came up with three categories of settlements: Moon, Mars, free artificials. 83 generations would end up with 10^10 that I suppose would be more than on Earth, if it remains a generally desirable habitat. The self-contained things were negligible with a few hundred thousand and Mars being similar to Earth at almost 9 billion, having crept past the well developed Moon at some point.
- No, son. I said 'duck'.
- Duck duck duck duck! Duck duck duck duck!

Yablo

Postby Yablo » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:47 am UTC

Mokele wrote:The last option's reference to the mantle is clearly wrong, and should be the sunken city of Ry'leh.

Ia Ia Cthulhu ftagn!

Indeed!

A quote from (most likely) the next session of my Delta Green game*:
"Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyehhgand gah'ln fhtagn. Yr et Dho-Hna Ephrai Nmagl'n nagoghnath, Iä! Shub-Niggura'pwai Feyadia gnl!"

Also, I'm thinking 300 years if a fair estimate.

*See the link in my signature for details
If you like Call of Cthulhu and modern government conspiracy, check out my Delta Green thread.
Please feel free to ask questions or leave comments.

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:27 pm UTC

I don't know about the works of Lovecraft, but as for me and my house... Christian eschatology pretty much precludes the possibility of permanent settlements off-earth.
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:43 pm UTC

I doubt it will take very long to make it compatible once there are permanent settlements off-earth.

FierceContinent

Postby FierceContinent » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:57 pm UTC

setzer777 wrote:I think we'll go extinct before we ever set up permanent off-world settlements.

How???
The greatest Science Hero is almost certainly Norman Borlaug. His selectively bred crops have saved many, many people from starvation.
Just to be clear, the number of lives Norman Borlaug is credited with saving is in the BILLIONS.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ScienceHero

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:14 pm UTC

FierceContinent wrote:
setzer777 wrote:I think we'll go extinct before we ever set up permanent off-world settlements.

How???

Clearly, he was hinting at his plans to start all the nukes and destroy humanity. But don't tell him we know his plans, we replaced all the nukes with fireworks and want to jump out and yell surprise after he presses the button.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:35 pm UTC

mathmannix wrote:I don't know about the works of Lovecraft, but as for me and my house... Christian eschatology pretty much precludes the possibility of permanent settlements off-earth.
It does? You think the second coming of Christ, the divine return of the Son of God himself, is limited to Earth?

Doesn't that seem... I dunno, selling it short? Like, everyone will be judged, unless you're in LEO?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Oraiste

Postby Oraiste » Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:42 pm UTC

I like the idea that Christ is touring planets, like a rock star. If you miss him on Earth, meh, try Kepler-20f, he'll be there next week.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:45 pm UTC

FierceContinent

Postby FierceContinent » Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:19 pm UTC

PeteP wrote:
FierceContinent wrote:

How???

Clearly, he was hinting at his plans to start all the nukes and destroy humanity. But don't tell him we know his plans, we replaced all the nukes with fireworks and want to jump out and yell surprise after he presses the button.

Hmmm. Nukes would kill a lot of people, not *everyone*. And apparently they're now saying a nuclear winter would last about a week.
The greatest Science Hero is almost certainly Norman Borlaug. His selectively bred crops have saved many, many people from starvation.
Just to be clear, the number of lives Norman Borlaug is credited with saving is in the BILLIONS.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:07 am UTC

FierceContinent wrote:
How???
If not the nukes, then some flavor of climate change, I suppose. Something might survive in one form or another, but it might not be fair to call it "human".

Oraiste

Postby Oraiste » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:02 am UTC

I just think statistics will catch up and something will wipe us out before we've found or created a sufficient location for a permanent colony capable of housing millions. Or that if the off-world population ever does exceed the Earth population, it will be because Earth's been decimated by some disaster or another, rather than because the colony is a success.

FierceContinent

Postby FierceContinent » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:03 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:
FierceContinent wrote:
How???
If not the nukes, then some flavor of climate change, I suppose. Something might survive in one form or another, but it might not be fair to call it "human".

There has been a *little* bit of climate change before in the past, here and there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_age http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interglacial http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devonian

setzer777

Postby setzer777 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:33 pm UTC

FierceContinent wrote:

How???

Various possible ways - plague, war, disease, resource depletion.

Not saying I think one specific cataclysm will destroy us, but that those plus the limits physics set on us will likely lead to us dying out before we build up the massive infrastructure to settle off world (assuming it's even feasible to ever do so with this planet's resources).

There's no guarantee that the nature of the universe won't just put up a wall to our continued survival.

Too infinity
of being an arsehole

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:29 am UTC

FierceContinent wrote:There has been a *little* bit of climate change before in the past, here and there.
Yes? And in some cases it has done a very good job of wiping out the dominant life on the planet.

FierceContinent

Postby FierceContinent » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:05 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:
FierceContinent wrote:There has been a *little* bit of climate change before in the past, here and there.
Yes? And in some cases it has done a very good job of wiping out the dominant life on the planet.

Actually we survived the ice ages and we weren't around for the Devonian.

Contrariwise I do think technological development is going to slow down. There are only so many wonders to discover and they keep getting harder and harder to uncover.

Oraiste

Postby Oraiste » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:47 pm UTC

FierceContinent wrote:Contrariwise I do think technological development is going to slow down. There are only so many wonders to discover and they keep getting harder and harder to uncover.

I was going to reply to this by pointing out that at start of the 20th century, Charles H. Duell said "everything that can be invented has been invented", but his Wikipedia page tells me that's a urban legend. Damnit.

setzer777

Postby setzer777 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:52 pm UTC

Another possibility is that we burn through the materials that would be needed for off-world colonization and off-world resource harvesting, at which point it doesn't matter how long our species lasts - there simply won't be the necessary tools for the job.

Too infinity
of being an arsehole

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:20 pm UTC

Well, it is possible to create the materials (and once you get to the asteroid belts and Jupiter, you should have all the materials that you ever need), it would just be very very very expensive.
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:45 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:
mathmannix wrote:I don't know about the works of Lovecraft, but as for me and my house... Christian eschatology pretty much precludes the possibility of permanent settlements off-earth.
It does? You think the second coming of Christ, the divine return of the Son of God himself, is limited to Earth?

Doesn't that seem... I dunno, selling it short? Like, everyone will be judged, unless you're in LEO?

Not at all, I guess I just think that if humanity were well established in at least several different solar systems, it wouldn't be possible for it to all end in one big battle. But maybe I'm wrong, and the alternative is some form of Hactar's Supernova Bomb that destroys all stars in the galaxy simultaneously. (Or possibly the heat death of the universe, but that seems way too far away to be the explanation.)

setzer777

Postby setzer777 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:20 pm UTC

mathmannix wrote:
Izawwlgood wrote:

Not at all, I guess I just think that if humanity were well established in at least several different solar systems, it wouldn't be possible for it to all end in one big battle. But maybe I'm wrong, and the alternative is some form of Hactar's Supernova Bomb that destroys all stars in the galaxy simultaneously. (Or possibly the heat death of the universe, but that seems way too far away to be the explanation.)

Isn't the battle more of a formality anyway? Going by Christian tradition it seems like the principles involved would all be intelligent and informed enough to know that there's no other outcome than the literally omnipotent god winning. Seems more like a moral protest by the dragon, beast, and co. than a proper battle.

Too infinity
of being an arsehole

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:55 pm UTC

setzer777 wrote:Another possibility is that we burn through the materials that would be needed for off-world colonization and off-world resource harvesting, at which point it doesn't matter how long our species lasts - there simply won't be the necessary tools for the job.

What kind of materials do you mean specifically?

setzer777

Postby setzer777 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:07 am UTC

PeteP wrote:
setzer777 wrote:Another possibility is that we burn through the materials that would be needed for off-world colonization and off-world resource harvesting, at which point it doesn't matter how long our species lasts - there simply won't be the necessary tools for the job.

What kind of materials do you mean specifically?

I was mostly thinking of fossil fuels needed to have enough craft break orbit.

Too infinity
of being an arsehole

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:12 am UTC

Not sure we need fossil fuels for that. Most rocket fuels are, as far as I understand, either liquid oxygen/hydrogen, or solid fuel chemicals based on things like ammonium nitrate.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:14 pm UTC

While hydrogen is abundant in the universe, a lot of hydrogen used these days is actually derived from fossil fuels directly, or so I understand. I reckon solid fuel stuff is at least produced using energy from fossil fuels. But I guess fossil fuels aren't strictly necessary in either case, even though they are extremely convenient.

Of course, if we do run low on fossil fuels, we might have more in a few million years – but humanity as we know it may not endure that long.

Sean Quixote

Postby Sean Quixote » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:51 pm UTC

Clearly, the answer is magnets.

Aveline

Postby Aveline » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:33 am UTC

Magnets? Why? I don't understand.

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:33 pm UTC

Do you mean because of the wacky wrist magnets that people claim make their lives better and/or longer?

teddy_b

Re: How long until more humans live outside of thith Bromeli

Postby teddy_b » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:13 pm UTC

And do the magnets work while on the wrists? LOL it's impossible

Return to “General”