Post your LEGO!

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

bachaddict
Handel Played it Better

Post your LEGO!

Postby bachaddict » Fri May 08, 2015 4:50 am UTC

I know of at least half a dozen Adult Fans of LEGO on here, but we haven't all gathered in one thread before!

My collection is mostly Technic, with some City and Creator for my younger siblings. I also have an administrative role of Set Manager on Rebrickable :)
My local LUG (LEGO User Group) is currently organising this year's show. I'm coordinating the Great Ball Contraption!

A sorting project when I started it last year:
Spoiler:

A recent purchase:
Spoiler:

And my latest MOC (My Own Creation)!
Spoiler:

I'll get a newer photo of my collection up later.
slinches wrote:Also, the OTC isn't a disease. In fact, it's the cure. As we all know, Time heals all wounds.

Thanks for the molpish wig ggh!
he/him/his

PM 2Ring

Re: Post your LEGO!

Postby PM 2Ring » Fri May 08, 2015 5:49 am UTC

I don't have any real Lego, but I've created some basic virtual Lego bricks in POV-Ray.

A single brick:
Spoiler:

A base plate with a few blocks:
Spoiler:

I suppose I should do more with this stuff, but I kind of lost my motivation when I realised how much other virtual Lego is already out there.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri May 08, 2015 5:56 am UTC

I should get back to building a prehensible hand controlled by my NXT 2, but I am too lazy.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Dthen
Still hasn't told us what comes after D

Postby Dthen » Fri May 08, 2015 12:22 pm UTC

How has nobody made this thread before?
Dthen wrote:I AM NOT A CAT.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri May 08, 2015 3:18 pm UTC

Beats me. Bachaddict found me on Reddit and noticed I did a terrible time lapse of the UCS TIE Fighter.

At any rate, here's the Lego shelves in my house. I'll take some photos of my mechs later.
Attachments
2015-04-23 18.13.26.jpg
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

bachaddict
Handel Played it Better

Postby bachaddict » Fri May 08, 2015 9:49 pm UTC

This thread is also for discussing other LEGO news. Any ideas for a better title?

The Brothers Brick is the biggest AFOL blog at the moment, check them out if you don't already follow them!

A recently posted build relating to current events:
ImageMayweather vs Pacquiao by SuckMyBrick, on Flickr
slinches wrote:Also, the OTC isn't a disease. In fact, it's the cure. As we all know, Time heals all wounds.

he/him/his

bachaddict
Handel Played it Better

Postby bachaddict » Sat May 09, 2015 7:42 am UTC

Brick-built sorting boxes for some of my 20,000 Technic pieces.
Attachments
IMG_20150509_193733894.jpg
Fighting fire with fire

he/him/his

strake

Postby strake » Sat May 09, 2015 9:26 pm UTC

A mech I built, spoiler'd for size
Spoiler:

bachaddict
Handel Played it Better

Postby bachaddict » Sun May 10, 2015 8:57 am UTC

Not too shabby. Looks like you could do with more bricks!

he/him/his

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun May 10, 2015 9:46 pm UTC

This is the current version of the Wildcat knockoff that I've been building, adding to, tearing apart and rebuilding for the past.. 6 years? 8? I forget how many.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

bachaddict
Handel Played it Better

Postby bachaddict » Mon May 11, 2015 7:52 am UTC

That looks nice. Have you heard of Bricklink? Ginormous LEGO marketplace. BrickOwl is similar but newer, so it's easier to use but doesn't have as many sellers.

he/him/his

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue May 19, 2015 8:20 am UTC

I am doubting whether to use my Lego Mindstorms kit to build a ventilation duct cleaning bot for my apartment. The vents could do with a bit of cleaning as I can't imagine they have had any in the 4 years this apartment exists and it would be able to do it, but I'm not sure whether I want to send my precious legoses into those dark and dusty ducts.
Then again, I only need to do this once because I can make it drag a line behind it to make further cleaning easy (with a ball and a piece of cloth) and it is a cool useful way to use my Lego.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

he/him/his

bachaddict
Handel Played it Better

Postby bachaddict » Tue May 19, 2015 9:03 am UTC

That sounds very cool! Dust comes off again easily with some compressed air. Are the ducts level, and are there corners? I have driven a smartphone running IP Webcam around on a robot before.

My last project: Getting a new EV3 set and a new Rubik's Speedcube to work together. I had to twerk the colour sensor before it worked reliably!

he/him/his

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue May 19, 2015 9:36 am UTC

bachaddict wrote:That sounds very cool! Dust comes off again easily with some compressed air. Are the ducts level, and are there corners? I have driven a smartphone running IP Webcam around on a robot before.

The ducts are level, thank Flying Spaghetti Monster. There are corners and T pieces, but the design I was considering was sort of a snake like bot with a short front section with 2 powered wheels (tank style steering), a thin midsection without wheels and a short rear section with 2 unpowered wheels, all with hinges between the sections. That way it should be able to navigate a Ø100 mm 90° T piece without problems.
As for the webcam: I was planning on using my phone as a remote controller (bluetooth) and putting a simple cheap webcam on the bot. That would only cost me about E25 + a 25m USB cable. Maybe that USB cable can also let me put a cheap bluetooth adapter on it for controlling the Mindstorms because steel ducts aren't all that good at letting a signal enter them. That would probably mean that I would need to use the PC to control it as I don't expect my phone will allow for an external bluetooth adapter.

As for the dust: I would mainly worry about dust entering the motors, as they are not meant to be opened and cleaned. The parts can be cleaned in multiple ways, washing them is always a good and simple one, assuming I can disassemble them.

As added bonus I would be able to use the build in my engineering portfolio, as I plan to switch jobs quite soon. Mostly that will be 3d CAD stuff but this can be a cool addition, to show practical skills and prototype building.

he/him/his

bachaddict
Handel Played it Better

Postby bachaddict » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:04 am UTC

I just came home from the local annual LEGO show!
Only 18,000 people came this year, compared to 23,000 last year.
The Great Ball Contraption:
Winner of People's Choice:
Oh and a giant map of Middle Earth that's been to a few shows by now.

he/him/his

Liri
Healthy non-floating pooper reporting for doodie.

Postby Liri » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:44 pm UTC

My brother used several of his Lego creations in his portfolio for his application to MIT for structural engineering (to become an architect). He's pretty awesome.

I wish that MOCpages had been a thing when I was younger and still constantly building, I think the collaborative + competitive atmosphere helps a lot to get 'better'.
He wondered could you eat the mushrooms, would you die, do you care.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:46 pm UTC

I'm not that much of a LEGO fan, but there was a time when it was my primary interest. Retro hifi and model railroading are now competing for that spotlight, but I have an account on MOCpages from those times. I occasionally get an itch to build something, but my reach often extends my grasp, like that idea I had about building a functional compact cassette player out of LEGO (I haven't given up completely yet).
they/them/theirs = he/him/his ❖ If you want to use something else out of dadaist spite, I won't mind.
✆ Hello? This is Forum Games Discord, what is your emergency?

bachaddict
Handel Played it Better

Postby bachaddict » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:40 pm UTC

Liri wrote:My brother used several of his Lego creations in his portfolio for his application to MIT for structural engineering (to become an architect). He's pretty awesome.

I wish that MOCpages had been a thing when I was younger and still constantly building, I think the collaborative + competitive atmosphere helps a lot to get 'better'.

I feel like Flickr has more happening, at least with the big names in the AFOL scene.

he/him/his

Liri
Healthy non-floating pooper reporting for doodie.

Postby Liri » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:35 am UTC

bachaddict wrote:
Liri wrote:My brother used several of his Lego creations in his portfolio for his application to MIT for structural engineering (to become an architect). He's pretty awesome.

I feel like Flickr has more happening, at least with the big names in the AFOL scene.

The abandoned house series by that one guy is pretty amazing/awe-inspiring/ridiculous. MOCpages has a number of competitive events, though, which I think gives it much more of a community feel (but I haven't really checked out either that much lately).
He wondered could you eat the mushrooms, would you die, do you care.

Isaac Hill
Systems Analyst????

Postby Isaac Hill » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:01 pm UTC

I made LEGO lion and vehicle Voltrons. I'd like to make the gladiator Voltron, where 3 red, black, and blue bots stack on each other, but I think that'd be too many moving arts, expecially at this scale.
Attachments
vehicles.JPG
teams.JPG
lions.JPG
bots.JPG
Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry

Return to “General”