Would you rather make more or work less?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Work less or make more

I'm very poor and I would want to make more
2%
I'm very poor and I would want to work less
No votes
I'm pretty poor and I would want to make more
5%
I'm pretty poor and I would want to work less
No votes
I'm somewhat poor and I would want to make more
7%
I'm somewhat poor and I would want to work less
5%
I'm neither poor nor particularly well-off and I would want to make more
15%
I'm neither poor nor particularly well-off and I would want to work less
10%
I'm somewhat well-off and I would want to make more
12%
I'm somewhat well-off and I would want to work less
24%
I'm pretty well-off and I would want to make more
5%
I'm pretty well-off and I would want to work less
10%
I'm very well-off and I would want to make more
2%
I'm very well-off and I would want to work less
2%
I'm rich enough that the law doesn't apply to me and I would want to make more
No votes
I'm rich enough that the law doesn't apply to me and I would want to work less
No votes

Total votes: 41

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Would you rather make more or work less?

Postby Thesh » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:25 am UTC

Your current employer gives you a choice, you can either make 25% more per year, or work 20% less (which can be shorter days or fewer days, or a combination thereof; whatever you prefer); what would you choose?
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Re: Would you rather make more or work less?

Postby ahammel » Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:07 am UTC

Work less, assuming that, aside from turning down this particular offer, I can count on a schedule of negotiated pay raises every so often as per usual.
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

EvilDuckie

Postby EvilDuckie » Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:53 am UTC

Not sure whether this applies to me. Self-employed, reasonably well-off, but would want to work less, while still making more or less the same amount of money. I don't track my hours at the moment, some weeks are busier/tougher than others and I do have, within the framework of deadlines and appointments, a pretty good degree of freedom when it comes to planning my week. So e.g. if the weather is good and my schedule allows for it, I often take a few hours off in the afternoon to go for a bike ride.
Quack!

Ashlah

Postby Ashlah » Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:08 pm UTC

I would absolutely want to work less. I'm not particularly well off, but I live comfortably, with room for fun spending, and I would be much happier if I worked less.

I imagine responses would also be affected by how much you like your job. I'm not fulfilled in mine, nor do I enjoy it, so reducing the time I spend there would greatly improve my life.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:21 pm UTC

If I could, I would gladly cut my work time in half for half the income :-/

I don't enjoy my work very well, although it pays a lot.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:00 pm UTC

I would like to earn money at all, thanks.
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

Chen

Postby Chen » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:17 pm UTC

I suppose it kinda depends. If I could have every Friday off (I work 5 days a week), it would be pretty nice. That said I'm not sure if I'd get bored or not if it was constantly like that. Plus my wife probably wouldn't get the same deal so going away for long weekends wouldn't really be any easier than now. Further I like my job so it's not particularly problematic for me to go to it every day. Sure now and then I'll be fed up and not want to go in, but that's what my vacation/flex time is for anyways. Constantly having that time off would likely not be as useful for unwinding. Finally a 25% pay increase is pretty damn big. Would probably let me retire earlier (with my wife) and thus we could have more free time to spend together travelling or the like at that point. Overall that's why I think I'd choose the money. That said, I have no children yet, and I suppose if I had a young child at home that could significantly change the calculus of all this.

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:59 pm UTC

Certainly I would choose to work less. (I like the idea of one less day a week.) The only reason I work is to make money. I like my job, sure, but there are a dozen other things I like better that I don't do all day because I don't get paid to do them. I could never get bored in my free time; there are too many things I like to do.

When I was in my twenties, I spent all my free time on hobbies. (Reading, watching movies, photography, genealogy, video games, building with LEGOs, editing Wikipedia, collecting books and coins, gardening, maintaining an aquarium, working on model trains, etc.) These all cost money, to different extents, and I worked primarily to support them. Now in my thirties, I have a family and I work mostly to support them, just as I prefer to spend (most of) my free time with them, with some time remaining still for some of the hobbies mentioned above.
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:09 pm UTC

If I make more I lose any government benefits - I've actually turned down two raises because the additional income pushes us just over the cliff from "teetering on the edge" to "homeless".

Honestly, I'd rather get paid more and work less, but I can't afford to do either.
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:24 pm UTC

Thesh wrote:Your current employer gives you a choice, you can either make 25% more per year, or work 20% less (which can be shorter days or fewer days, or a combination thereof; whatever you prefer); what would you choose?

This is a tough one. I went back and forth here. I ended up choosing "very well off and would want to make more", but feel it requires elaboration.

My day job is software engineer. In that, I would choose work less.

My other job is as a small business owner. In that, I can and do choose to work more.

Overall, I will probably always work a great deal towards *something*. What that something is is *extremely* variable, though.

A lot of it depends on how much you like a job, I suppose.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:56 pm UTC

It really depends on the percentages.

I'll take more money if it's between (some small amount)-33.33...% more.

But around the 1/3 more vs 1/3 less work or higher percentages, I'll flop over to working less hours for the pay I'm getting now. If I could work, say, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday yet still get the same paycheck? The extra two days I'll be able to use more easily for a wider variety of things than I could do with simply more money. With simply more money I'm still stuck with the "Not enough free time to do stuff I want to do" problem.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:01 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:It really depends on the percentages.

Thesh wrote:Your current employer gives you a choice, you can either make 25% more per year, or work 20% less (which can be shorter days or fewer days, or a combination thereof; whatever you prefer); what would you choose?

So if you worked a 40 hour week at $20/hour ($20*40= $800/wk) , it could be that you are getting a raise to $25/hour regardless, but with the option to only work four days ($25*32=$800/wk) a week instead of five ($25*40=$1000/wk).
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:55 pm UTC

I answered the question for all percentages possible, not just the ones provided.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:59 pm UTC

I think percentages of "less than a day" would be somewhat less desirable than increased money. Having a full extra day off is a big bump in terms of ability to do things over and above leaving a little earlier each day. So, if we're evaluating the whole range of percentages, I can see preferences wavering back and forth in nice 20% of time increments.

I'm assuming this all magically balances out into post-tax income or whatever. Otherwise, time again has something of an edge over wage increases in terms of pure percentages.

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:29 am UTC

Starting this year, I took a 4 days-a-week job, for 80% gross pay. The job actually pays a tad better than my previous job, so the loss is less than 20%, but I would have asked for a switch to 80% in the previous job as well.

My wife and I want to keep similar work loads, to prevent that one person becomes the income provider and the other the housekeeper. We also don't want to send the kid to daycare too much. And neither of us wanted to switch to entirely dead-end jobs , even though we're willing to sacrifice some pay and career prospects. 4 days a week each is the compromise, with added grandparent support.

Last year I already wanted to leave my old job, and I applied for a job that looked like a very good match. I told them I would prefer to work 80%. Based on their reactions, I think this cost me the job. There's a much more complicated dynamic than just pay. It was a company where all (mostly male) engineers and managers worked 5 days a week, and only supportive staff (many female) worked less. Just asking if I could work 4 days signalled that I was not a serious engineer-person.

After that, I lost my job, so I could take less risks with a baby on the way. From then on, I didn't ask companies about part-time work. I asked around, and most engineers gave the same advice: if the company is unused to part-time engineers, don't mention it at the application. Take the job, work until they like you and don't want to lose you, then ask to work less.

Luckily, I ended up with two firm job offers at the same time. One company turned out very open, they also had managers with children who worked 4 days. That sold the job for me, even though the commute is much longer.

tl;dr: I already took the pay cut for less work. And I would have accepted a more-than-proportional paycut, as long as there was still a career perspective

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:24 pm UTC

Zamfir wrote:There's a much more complicated dynamic than just pay. It was a company where all (mostly male) engineers and managers worked 5 days a week, and only supportive staff (many female) worked less. Just asking if I could work 4 days signalled that I was not a serious engineer-person.

This worries me. My day job does have the ability to scale hours/pay. And some people *do* go part time. But perceptions do go beyond job requirements, and the general assumption is that 40 hrs/5 days a week is normal. In some segments, even more. Even though on paper it's a perfectly valid option, it might impact perceptions, promotion opportunities, etc.

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:39 pm UTC

Yeah. There are definitely advantages if you work more hours per week (up to the tiredness point that workaholics can easily reach). The trouble starts when perception takes over. And in the end, many jobs can really only be judged on the perception of how well your doing.

Return to “General”