VR Goggles: Alternative Uses

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Trapperkeeper

VR Goggles: Alternative Uses

Postby Trapperkeeper » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:00 pm UTC

I’ve been seeing a lot of articles recently on VR gaming, and that seems to be the main focus of the new consumer VR technologies liek the Oculus Rift. I just can’t help but think that there are other more mainstream uses that could have wider appeal than playing video games. Ignoring the adult industry here, I’m sure that will jump on board too.

Imagine watching a football game live in VR with cameras positioned in either end zone, over the field and from the view point of the referees. Eventually even with cameras on key players like quarterbacks or receivers. The user would have the ability to change view points and rewind the action to watch a single play from multiple points of view. See what the quarterback saw. What WAS the ref looking at when he made the call he did? This idea at least should be immediately marketable.

Or imagine if when Felix Baumgartner skydived from space, being able to experience that in VR goggles? Any event that we expect to be historically significant or momentous could be recorded and later experienced with VR tech.

These uses I would assume would be cheaper than gaming which requires the rendering of graphics, whereas this would be simply transmission and playback of video.

Draconaes

Re: VR Goggles: Alternative Uses

Postby Draconaes » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:08 pm UTC

Wouldn't this just be a monitor taped to your face then? I think everything you described for sports of special events is possible with normal monitors. The main point of VR goggles and the like is that the user can control the motion of the camera through the movement of their own head. This is very easy for a virtual camera inside an artificially rendered landscape, not so much for the real world.

(edit)
The reason this is very big for gaming is that it allows for more combination of control/immersion. Controls can be a limiting factor for games because we only have so many fingers and so much ability or desire to remember various combinations of button pushes. For example, a game might normally give you 4 directional buttons to control movement and a mouse/stick to control orientation. This usually takes up both hands. By setting the same game to use the Oculus Rift, the player is now able to control (very intuitively, at that) look-direction without sacrificing either hand and memorizing a new set of buttons/sticks.

The player can now, for example, look behind themselves while still running in a straight line much more easily and without changing their body's orientation, opening up many more possibilities. This is huge for gaming, but doesn't offer much over traditional monitors for viewing recorded events.
(end edit)

To be worthwhile as a separate way to view real-world events, I think you would have to essentially recreate the scenery virtually with multiple cameras and then give the user a virtual camera to control in the virtual environment, but then it's essentially the same as a video game that looks like real-life. If anything, I'd expect this to be more expensive than gaming (whether in terms of cost or processing power) if it's expected to be real-time or near real-time.
Last edited by Draconaes on Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:20 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:13 pm UTC

360 degree cameras are being worked on.

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:17 pm UTC

he CIA could find uses for VR at extraordinary rendition sites.

Return to “General”