I'd never heard of a "hooka" before...

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Akira
The Enemy's Gate Is Down. Sugoi desu ne!

I'd never heard of a "hooka" before...

Postby Akira » Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:19 pm UTC

Wiki shows it as some sort of smoking device, used with "tobacco molasses" or herbal water.

What exactly is it, how do you use it, and what are some of the side effects? If no side effects, what's the point?

I ask because my roommate said that she used one last night, and that her friends insisted that it was legal if you're over 18, and so on, but I'm not sure. Despite the odd nature of our relationship, I am slightly concerned about the effect this could have had.
Warning: Arguments about semantics really, really annoy this member, and are liable to make her snippy, offensive, and REALLY politically incorrect.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:22 pm UTC

I... don't even know where to begin on this. A hookah is like a bong or a pipe, in that a number of products can be smoked in it.

Assuming all the substances used within it are legal to own, there's nothing illegal about a hookah. The effects of the hookah depend on the substances used... though assuming it's all legal under US law, it's the same as smoking a pipe or cigarette.

The point is similar to a bong, in that the smoke passes through a liquid (usually water) in order to cool it. That's it. If you ever saw the Disney cartoon of Alice in Wonderland, you've seen a hookah. That's what the Catapillar was using to smoke.

Also, some have said that the water filters out stuff from the smoke, and I believe that as well.. it probably works just as well as the filter on a cigarette does.

The Wikipedia page on Hookahs
Last edited by SecondTalon on Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:24 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Akira

Postby Akira » Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:24 pm UTC

Okay, so that's what that illustration was for. There was a picture of the Caterpillar from some of the older Alice drawings on the wiki page, and I remember seeing it, but I didn't recall whether it was which or what or whatever.

So are they safe? What do they do?
Warning: Arguments about semantics really, really annoy this member, and are liable to make her snippy, offensive, and REALLY politically incorrect.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:34 pm UTC

It's.. like I said, like a bong. Asking if they're safe is like asking if that low-tar light cigarette is safer than inhaling a cigar... it is, but that doesn't mean it's "safe".

It's no more dangerous that cigarettes, if you want a better answer.

As for what it does... well, if you're not a smoker or ex-smoker, it's really hard to describe what it does. Cigarette, pipe, and cigar smoke is usually quite warm. It's.. actually really fucking nice on a cold day to suck on a cigarette and get a lovely lung-full of dry, warm-but-thick feeling smoke... sorta like breathing humid air, but without the sensation of drowning.... but like I said, if you're not a smoker/ex-smoker, it's hard to describe.

Anyway, what the hookah will do is.. I assume similar to a bong.. is that it will cool the smoke down to room temperature or less. Given the non-portability of a hookah and the likelyhood of it having multiple hoses, it's a social thing, so it's possible that a person is inhaling less than what would be inhaled with a personal cigarette. The tobacco is usually of a different quality, and is often flavored with stuff, so it tastes and feels different... my experience with flavored tobaccos is similar to very rich cheesecakes.. in that while they kick ass every now and again, it's not something you want to do all the time.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Akira

Postby Akira » Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:42 pm UTC

She was told specifically not to inhale it into her lungs, but rather to suck it into her mouth then blow it out. That made no sense to me...

Wiki said something about Tobacco Molasses or herbal water, but my roommate's friends said that it wasn't tobacco. Thoughts?

I'm not so much worried, I guess, as curious now. Like I said, I've never heard of this before.

yelly

Postby yelly » Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:43 pm UTC

Hookas are very popular in Israel as I believe they are of Arabic origins. Health wise, the ministry of education in Israel has been running an awareness program for a few years now claiming that they are basically just like cigarets in this case.

Akira

Postby Akira » Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:44 pm UTC

That makes sense, the guys she was with are all Arabic, and one of them is actually an exchange student from middle east, so I can see that.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:48 pm UTC

Could be cloves, which are legal.. could be other illegal substances, but I won't speculate on that.

As for not inhaling it into the lungs.. well, that's a personal thing. Cigars aren't meant to be inhaled, but they're still harmful.. mouth cancer and all that. Not that I'm anti-smoking.. I myself smoked for 10 years, quit two years ago, but I've got no problem with smokers... provided they aren't deluding themselves. I smoked knowing full well the dangers of it. Not inhaling the smoke and believing it's somehow protecting you is foolish and naive. Except with the apropriate accents and such above the letters.. I don't have a French keyboard.

So, anyway.. it's like a pipe or cigar or dipping or chewing tobacco.. it's just a different way to use tobacco.

Akira

Postby Akira » Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:51 pm UTC

Okay, thanks guys! I appreciate the info

zombie_monkey

Postby zombie_monkey » Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:20 pm UTC

You're far more probable to have heard of it as narghile, "hookah" seems to be the current fashionable word for it among teenagers in the far West.

une see
Is my girl

Postby une see » Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:23 pm UTC

I have a terrible, terrible urge to take up smoking so I can be like Spike and look cool while smoking in the rain.

That, or I can be cool like Wolfwood and smoke while I'm dying.

Confession: Sometimes I like to pretend that I smoke. I take my imaginary cigarette between my right index and middle fingers and bring it to my mouth, suck in, and blow the smoke back out again. However that works.

Confession: How sad.

Okay, so it's not really hookah. But smoke is related?
T.S. Eliot in "The Waste Land" wrote:APRIL is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:27 pm UTC

A hookah would be more Evil Overlord-ish or Mystic Seer than Resident Badass.

Also, smoking is nowhere near as cool as you think it is/way more awesome than you think it is.

Both statements are completely true. I figure it's like sex... once you've done it, you realize it's not all that big of a deal, relatively speaking.. while remaining an incredibly awesome thing.

Except if you fuck the same person twice a day for 45 years, you probably won't get genital cancer.

lowbrass

Postby lowbrass » Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:41 pm UTC

Akira wrote:Wiki said something about Tobacco Molasses or herbal water, but my roommate's friends said that it wasn't tobacco. Thoughts?

I'm not sure about other parts of the country (or the world for that matter), but here hookah is typically smoked with shisha, which is a kind of flavored tobacco. It usually has a damp, sticky appearance as a reault of what it's flavored with. Typical flavorings are honey, vanilla, mint, etc. I just smoked a hookah with vanilla shisha last night, it was delicious. But yeah, it's pretty much just as bad for you as cigarettes.
Negative, I am a meat popsicle.

Akira

Postby Akira » Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:46 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Except if you fuck the same person twice a day for 45 years, you probably won't get genital cancer.

Probably being the key word. You never can tell with sex.

Wilibus

Postby Wilibus » Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:07 pm UTC

Something I didn't see anyone touch on is that hookahs can also be made so that more than one person can smoke out of them at the same time.

But other than that a hookah is basically a bong with a hose attached to it.
"A mathematician is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat which isn't there."
-Charles Robert

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:18 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:....Given the non-portability of a hookah and the likelyhood of it having multiple hoses, it's a social thing...

I'm Dennis Leary

Khonsu

Postby Khonsu » Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:13 pm UTC

You know, Dennis Leary is the only person I've ever seen that didn't make me wonder "ugh, why did you take up smoking?"

I know why. He just doesn't give a shit. XD

Also, I've tried hookah. It's extremely relaxing, and unlike smoking cigarettes, it doesn't hurt or cause a lot of coughing or a sick feeling later because it's smoked like a cigar. If I were to smoke, it would be hookah or cigarillos/cheroots. I can't stand inhaling the smoke, nor do I see the reason why people do it, especially since absorbing the nicotine through your sublingual tissues occurs. The flavor of hookah and cigars and pipes is very lovely; no one smokes cigarettes for the taste. It's like licking an infernal demon's asshole. Also, it's impossible to NOT inhale cigarettes or it absolutely causes agony to your nose, lips, and eyes (at least for me). Not my cup of tea.

Clerria

Postby Clerria » Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:18 pm UTC

There was a hooka bar near my old apartment, it always smelled of a bizarre mix of fruits and sweets because of all the ridiculously girly flavored tobacco people would choose to smoke there. The smell would waft onto the street, and it was kinda nice.

I have never been a cigarette smoker though, so I lack the finesse it takes to smoke gracefully, so I've only tried smoking a hooka a few times.

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:54 pm UTC

i have a hookah. i use it once a week, maybe twice. they are freaking AWESOME. i dont smoke cigarettes because they taste gross, however with hookas you have many many options available. several of my friends in dallas had hookas as well, and there are several hookah bars, specializing in tobacco blends, mixed bases and combos of the two.

its still smoking, they arent "safe" but they are yummy. i do inhane the smoke into my lungs, but its mostly for flavor. they also smell wonderful, for the very strongly flavored/scented tobaccos, as was jstu pointed out. Right now we have Rose and CHerry. Melon and certain orange blends are good. I'm going to try chocolate next.

people can smoke illegal substances in them, but honestly they are a pain enough to clean with just tobacco residue. i cant even IMAGINE trying to get resin out of there. *grimace*

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:17 pm UTC

Khonsu wrote:no one smokes cigarettes for the taste. It's like licking an infernal demon's asshole.

I'm going to have to stop you right there, missy. I smoked because it tasted awesome. Granted, I also didn't smoke shitty cigarettes. And don't get me wrong, the stuff coming off the lit end, and the stuff I exhaled out probably tasted horrible and I know it's smell was none too pleasant. And sure, getting it in your eyes sucks, even for a smoker... But the stuff I (and other smokers) sucked in?

Fucking magic.

It's one of the things I really miss about smoking.

Akula

Postby Akula » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:17 pm UTC

I would encourage you to partake Akira. It should taste/smell good... pipe tobacco is very different from cigarettes. It's also a very social thing.

And yes, it's pretty safe. You can inhale if you want to, but I would advise against it. Just draw it into your mouth then exhale... no lung cancer.
"I never let my schooling interfere with my education" - Mark Twain

redthegreat

Postby redthegreat » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:24 pm UTC

Um, I don't recommend Shisha / hookah or any other variant due to the charcoal lumps being burn produce a lot of carbon monoxide, most people say they feel faint and light and floaty after smoking just tobacco, which is infused in honey or flavors like mint or strawberry due to being poisoned, so if you do get one get one of the electric variety.

They are as legal as smoking cigarettes wherever you come from.

But they will give you a headache!
Please don't correct my spelling, I am lisdexic and know it is probably wrong.

Wilibus

Postby Wilibus » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:25 pm UTC

Isopropylene alcohol will get pretty much anything off. And for a hookah or bong one of the beautiful things is you don't need to clean them as often since you can just change the water.

As far as resin is concerned most of my friends into that consider the amount of resin on their tools, especially pipes as a good thing. I think there is additional THC in it. Personally I found marijuana smoke harsher than any tobacco product I ever tried.

The entire idea of smoking anything never really appealed to me since they wreaked havoc on my lungs. But being young, stupid and not caring has it advantages.
"A mathematician is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat which isn't there."

-Charles Robert

parkaboy

Postby parkaboy » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:36 pm UTC

Wilibus wrote:Isopropylene alcohol will get pretty much anything off. And for a hookah or bong one of the beautiful things is you don't need to clean them as often since you can just change the water.

hookas and bongs are built way differently though. hookas have little tubes and nooks that need to be brushed out to avoid buildup. bongs are usually just the large glass tube w/ the smaller bowl/stem. pretty straightforward. hookas you actually have to take care of since they DO have small, enclosed parts and are usually metal (besides the base and bowl)

plus you get a pyrex bong and you can stick that sucker int he dishwasher and BAM. cleaning done. pyrex ftw.

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

Rat
Rattus Trolleri

Postby Rat » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:52 pm UTC

hookahs are a fun time because usually youre indoors or somewhere with not a lot of wind.. so you can blow smoke rings good

and the smoke is cooled and not harsh, and depending on what kind of tobacco you get, it tastes good

hookah'd marijuana is a good time, about as good as any other time... but eh... i dont even know what im talking about anymore..........

..fuck...

8)

GMontag

Postby GMontag » Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:20 pm UTC

lowbrass wrote:I'm not sure about other parts of the country (or the world for that matter), but here hookah is typically smoked with marijuana

FYP

redthegreat

Postby redthegreat » Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:29 am UTC

The only thing I have done with a hookah apart from sticky tobacco is hashish in Morocco.

I roll everything else.
Please don't correct my spelling, I am lisdexic and know it is probably wrong.

Akira

Postby Akira » Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:01 am UTC

Akula wrote:I would encourage you to partake Akira. It should taste/smell good... pipe tobacco is very different from cigarettes. It's also a very social thing.

I wasn't actually invited, it's my roommates friends and I doubt I'd feel comfortable in the situation, not to mention that I'm totally not a smoker-type person. However, if invited along, and if offered, I would give it a shot, I guess. lol

Geeze, why aren't there any safe, healthy social activities anymore? What happened to playing cards?? lol

parkaboy

Postby parkaboy » Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:04 am UTC

paper cuts.

Akira

Postby Akira » Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:07 am UTC

apocralypse wrote:paper cuts.

Okay, then... Marbles? Jacks? Crack cocaine?

...Wait a moment... not the last one.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:12 am UTC

To be fair, while it isn't amazingly *healthy*, partaking of some hookah smoke every now and then probably isn't going to blacken your lungs or give you cancer, any more than the occasional cocktail will cause your liver to fail.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Akira

Postby Akira » Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:15 am UTC

Lol, of that I have no doubt. I'm actually not that worried about any health detriments, but I've always just been such a "good girl" that it's not in my character right now.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:20 am UTC

redthegreat wrote:Um, I don't recommend Shisha / hookah or any other variant due to the charcoal lumps being burn produce a lot of carbon monoxide, most people say they feel faint and light and floaty after smoking just tobacco, which is infused in honey or flavors like mint or strawberry due to being poisoned, so if you do get one get one of the electric variety.

They are as legal as smoking cigarettes wherever you come from.

But they will give you a headache!

CO is actually not *that* terrible, as long as you're continuing to take in a good amount of oxygen between hits.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

vrek
pigasm!

Postby vrek » Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:39 am UTC

Akira wrote:
apocralypse wrote:paper cuts.

Crack cocaine?

...Wait a moment... not the last one.

HEY! Don't knock it till you tried it...wait I mean I know nothing. You can't prove anything. These are not the droids you are looking for.

Akula

Postby Akula » Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:00 am UTC

Akira wrote:
Akula wrote:I would encourage you to partake Akira. It should taste/smell good... pipe tobacco is very different from cigarettes. It's also a very social thing.

I wasn't actually invited, it's my roommates friends and I doubt I'd feel comfortable in the situation, not to mention that I'm totally not a smoker-type person. However, if invited along, and if offered, I would give it a shot, I guess. lol

Geeze, why aren't there any safe, healthy social activities anymore? What happened to playing cards?? lol

Bah, you wont get lung cancer or anything. Just don't inhale. And doing it doesn't make you a smoker. You're not a smoker till you cough something gross up. 8)

As for the character thing... think of it this way: Smoking a pipe or a hookah isn't degenerate, lowlife activity. It's hip and sophisticated or something.

Either way, I think you should try to inject yourself into this if you can. Doing this just once is perfectly fine. It's only rude or inconsiderate when you make a habit out of it. Of course, this is just my opinion, and I'm kind of an idiot.
"I never let my schooling interfere with my education" - Mark Twain

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:25 am UTC

On a kinda related note: How the fuck does one do a smoke ring? Srsly. I can never pull it off.

Berge

Postby Berge » Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:30 am UTC

Fearbears?! wrote:On a kinda related note: How the fuck does one do a smoke ring? Srsly. I can never pull it off.

Something about gathering the smoke in your mouth first and then quickly puffing it out while shaping it? Thats the vague advice I remember from a friend a few weeks ago the first time I actually used a hookah. It was nice, I rationalized it because it wasn't a cigarette and I wasn't likely to start doing it on a regular basis.

Edit - Internet Wins! http://www.wikihow.com/Blow-Smoke-Rings

Akira

Postby Akira » Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:51 am UTC

Akula wrote:As for the character thing... think of it this way: Smoking a pipe or a hookah isn't degenerate, lowlife activity. It's hip and sophisticated or something.

Either way, I think you should try to inject yourself into this if you can. Doing this just once is perfectly fine. It's only rude or inconsiderate when you make a habit out of it. Of course, this is just my opinion, and I'm kind of an idiot.

I get that it's really a very social thing, so I'll believe that argument.

As far as trying to get involved, I'm just not really comfortable with my roommate in general just yet, and hanging with her and her friend is even moreso, so I can only imagine if I were to go with a group of all of them all firends. I'd feel like a complete third (fifth, 7th, whatever) wheel.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:39 am UTC

As far as trying to get involved, I'm just not really comfortable with my roommate in general just yet, and hanging with her and her friend is even moreso, so I can only imagine if I were to go with a group of all of them all firends. I'd feel like a complete third (fifth, 7th, whatever) wheel.

I like that reason a lot more than the other one. 18 is way too early to be trapped in your own self image, but fifth-wheel-ness is totally understandable
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

parkaboy

Postby parkaboy » Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:22 pm UTC

smoke rings are the best and coolest thing ever. i'm still bad at them but i'm practicing. basically, you blow the smoke around your tongue in little bursts.

Return to “General”