I'd never heard of a "hooka" before...

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:20 pm UTC

I have a friend who can do smoke rings quite well.

My personal favorite though is making smoke bubbles. You just make a relatively thick bubble mix and then blow the smoke into the bubbles. It helps if you use a tube of some sort.

Anyway, after you build your bubble of smoke, you flick whatever you're using to make the bubble and then the smoke bubble floats away. Sometimes if the mix is too heavy it'll sink to the ground where it explodes in this sort of mini-smoke bomb.

It's very cool looking in my opinion.
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

Akira
The Enemy's Gate Is Down. Sugoi desu ne!

Postby Akira » Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:33 pm UTC

I'd actually thought of that sometimes while watching my grandmother smoke, but I never asked her to do it, lol. I'll have to, next time I'm around her!
Warning: Arguments about semantics really, really annoy this member, and are liable to make her snippy, offensive, and REALLY politically incorrect.

zombie_monkey

Postby zombie_monkey » Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:33 pm UTC

Smoke rings are really easy, in my experience.

Wilibus

Postby Wilibus » Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:43 pm UTC

I never could blow smoke rings, as much as I tried.
"A mathematician is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat which isn't there."
-Charles Robert

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:17 pm UTC

Akula wrote:Bah, you wont get lung cancer or anything. Just don't inhale. And doing it doesn't make you a smoker. You're not a smoker till you cough something gross up. 8)

No no, it's okay.. we're not fucking because I don't plan on ejaculating!

Use of a hookah, even if you don't inhale, is still smoking. If you're pulling smoke into your body, even if it's just your mouth, you're still smoking.

Moving on to smoke rings...

You don't blow smoke rings so much as you just let them out. Exhaling with much force tends to destroy them. Also, it's kinda hard to do it when you inhale, so it's best to leave the smoke in your mouth. I found it worked best if you use your tongue to push the smoke out.

Sadly, I never learned how to blow smoke pirate ships...
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Akira
The Enemy's Gate Is Down. Sugoi desu ne!

Postby Akira » Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:30 pm UTC

I'm inclined to think that it's a wizard thing, but with enough practice...
Warning: Arguments about semantics really, really annoy this member, and are liable to make her snippy, offensive, and REALLY politically incorrect.

Jacque
a member of shro's band

Postby Jacque » Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:39 pm UTC

I love my hookah and hookah in general. Argyl3 and myself are pretty awesome at smoke rings, hers being slow fat tires, and mine being speedy thin rings.

And now we're going to smoke some tonight. Delicious Starbuzz brand cosmopolitan. Mmmm.

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:21 am UTC

where do you guys get your tobacco? i'm not terribly impressed w/ the brand we've been getting. i dont remember what kind it is offhand, but i KNOW theres better stuff out there. can it be ordered online?

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:14 am UTC

Now for the real question: Can anyone blow a large smoke ring and then shoot a smaller smoke ring through the middle of the first one?

'Cause if you can, well, zomg.

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:15 am UTC

Fearbears?! wrote:Now for the real question: Can anyone blow a large smoke ring and then shoot a ship of smoke through the middle of the first one?

Gandalf ftw.

zombie_monkey

Postby zombie_monkey » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:38 am UTC

Fearbears?! wrote:Now for the real question: Can anyone blow a large smoke ring and then shoot a smaller smoke ring through the middle of the first one?

Ooooh, I can :)

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:46 pm UTC

apocralypse wrote:where do you guys get your tobacco? i'm not terribly impressed w/ the brand we've been getting. i dont remember what kind it is offhand, but i KNOW theres better stuff out there. can it be ordered online?

The hookah place we're regulars at uses this deliciousness called Starbuzz. The ones that we've smoked and loved are Cosmopolitan, Pomegranate, Sex on the Beach, a mixture of Strawberry and Coconut, and a mixture of Cola and Lemon.

Mmmmmm.
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?

I made this thing:
www.justthetipcalculator.com

Mercy

Waterpipes

Postby Mercy » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:23 pm UTC

I'm sorry if a thread was done on this already, but I didn't find one in the search.

Anyway, I own a large Egyptian and a small Turkish waterpipe. Both of their vases have broken or are leaking rather pitifully. I think finding a substitute for the Egyptian one can be easily done but I'm having trouble with the Turkish one. I have one of those ones that's basically an oval glass cone opening upwards, met by a similar metallic cover for it. Does anyone have a good link or such as to where they might sell such vases?

Also, feel free to divulge on general waterpiping fun. I'm not a smoker and will never be, but I do take part in the social waterpiping session every now and then and find it quite relaxing, if a bit dangerous while drinking. :]

EDIT: Thank you for the rightful move!
"I don't have any solution but I certainly admire the problem." -- Ashleigh Brilliant

cypherspace

Re: I'd never heard of a "hooka" before...

Postby cypherspace » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:43 am UTC

Oh, it's an old thread, sure, but I do love hookahs/shishas. Very relaxing. I went to Amsterdam last year and found an amazing cafe called Lost In Amsterdam. You can hire shishas and sit/lie down on the most comfy seats/floors around, and if you want to smoke something stronger than the flavoured tobacco, they'll put it in for you, although they don't sell it. Me and my friend were in there for hours, relaxing, playing chess and smoking various flavours. I highly recommend it.

I can't help with the links, though.

On the smoke ring subject, I can blow about a million per inhale, but I've only managed to get one through the middle of another about twice. Practice makes perfect, though!
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

Dark Ragnarok

Postby Dark Ragnarok » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:48 am UTC

Oh man, I LOVE hookah, I generally smoke 3 times a week. I'm planning on buying my own pipe soon enough. My favorite brand of tobacco is Al Fakher. Especially Grape Al Fakher. It's just the perfect amount of flavor, buzz, thickness, and smoothness. I have yet to find any thing to beat that and I've tried peach, orange, cherry, strawberry, bubblegum, double apple, margarita (NEVER ever try this one), 5 star tropical fruit, desert fruit (forgot the name of it), California dream, raspberry, blueberry, mint, and vanilla.

Every time I find out someone hasn't tried hookah, I always try to get them to try it once. So far about everyone I got to try it often loves it as much as I do :P. Come to think about it, it's somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 people or so. It's so fun! So far I can do a French Inhale and Smoke Rings really well, but I can't do a snap inhale. ;_;. I always wanted to smoke with DJing at some point if I ever get working in a club. Hookah can make the music experience a little more intense. It's such a good way to relax. Just never close your eyes when you are buzzed. You often get the spins that way.

There's so much more to add to this but I think I said enough. ;P

Mmmm, Pi

Re:

Postby Mmmm, Pi » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:44 am UTC

Jack Saladin wrote:Now for the real question: Can anyone blow a large smoke ring and then shoot a smaller smoke ring through the middle of the first one?

My brother can do this, then stick another smaller one through the second one as well. Not very often, but I have seen it.
Mercy wrote:Since this is for everything fora, I'd just like to express my fondness of @trophy's and Mmmm, Pi's avatars. You adorable demons. <3

Pi is still tasty.

segmentation fault

Re:

Postby segmentation fault » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:34 pm UTC

Jack Saladin wrote:On a kinda related note: How the fuck does one do a smoke ring? Srsly. I can never pull it off.

you make an 'O' with your mouth and sort of push the smoke out with the back of your tongue.
people are like LDL cholesterol for the internet

vqcg

Postby vqcg » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:46 pm UTC

I've only smoked from a hookah a handful of times before - once when I was 15 or so, with my dad and some of his mates, and a few times at a music festival last year.
I really enjoy it though :) Like SecondTalon, I like the taste of cigarettes, but hookah makes a nice change. And it's more social (I've only used the ones with multiple pipes).

I just recently had to explain hookahs to my boyfriend, I was surprised he'd never tried one before.
vqcg :: 19/female/bisexual/British

aetherson

Postby aetherson » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:25 pm UTC

I need to find a place here in Austin to go to...
The glass bowl on mine broke and I just never replaced it...
01001101 01100001 01100100 01100101 00100000 01011001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01001100 01101111 01101111 01101011 00100001

nsmjohn

Postby nsmjohn » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:22 pm UTC

My roommate has a hookah but we haven't used it in months. I love the stuff though. The owner at one of the hookah bars in Sacramento knows me by name and will smoke with me whenever I visit.
Gojoe wrote:Well, I would say something here, but it would only make it worse.

Adalwolf

Postby Adalwolf » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:20 pm UTC

Hookahs are pretty popular in college. Lot's of nonsmokers or rare smokers use them. I personally don't like smoking hookahs as I can't feel the smoke in my mouth and lungs like I can when I smoke cigarettes. They also take too damn long. I know hookah's are supposed to be used socially, but personally I rather sit outside or wherever and smoke a few cigarettes over the 45 minutes+ it takes to smoke a hookah (depending on how many hoses, size, etc).
Live with passion. Die with passion.

Dark Ragnarok

Postby Dark Ragnarok » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:10 pm UTC

aetherson wrote:I need to find a place here in Austin to go to...
The glass bowl on mine broke and I just never replaced it...

Dude Austin is like Hookah central over there. :P. There's tons of places.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:27 pm UTC

I've been wanting to try a hookah for awhile, but I'm a bit of a cigar smoker, and worry that I'll be disappointed by the weird flavors.

the_bandersnatch
Actually not so frumious.
Location: on a bed in a room inside a TV in a hotel room in a hotel on a Monopoly board

Postby the_bandersnatch » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:46 pm UTC

The weird flavours do not disappoint - they're great! And if they're not great, then you just haven't found one suitable for you, so keep looking!

Last hooka I had was in Amsterdam and contained a mix of aniseed-flavoured tobacco and finest Moroccan hashish. I was a happy bunny :D
In girum imus nocte, et consumimur igni

vqcg

Postby vqcg » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:20 pm UTC

Does anyone know if the tobacco in hookas is different to that in cigarettes, other than the flavour? When me and my thengirlfriend were in Budapest, we ran into lots of little shops selling boxes of flavoured tobacco, and we thought about buying some to bring back for rollies, just to have the flavour. But we weren't sure if it was cut differently and so would be unsuitable, or something like that.

the_bandersnatch wrote:The weird flavours do not disappoint - they're great! And if they're not great, then you just haven't found one suitable for you, so keep looking!

Last hooka I had was in Amsterdam and contained a mix of aniseed-flavoured tobacco and finest Moroccan hashish. I was a happy bunny :D

that sounds pretty good!
vqcg :: 19/female/bisexual/British

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:27 pm UTC

Hookah tobacco probably isn't rollable. It's sticky and wet, and probably wouldn't work well. You were probably seeing pipe tobacco, which is generally better quality than cigarette tobacco, but aromatic tobacco is generally lower quality than unflavored stuff. Generally, tobacco quality goes something like this (best to worst):

Premium cigars
Non-aromatic pipe tobacco
Aromatic pipe tobacco
Shisha (hookah tobacco)
Cigarettes/drugstore "cigars" (Swishers and such)

Pipe tobacco really isn't intended to be rolled, but I had friends in college who did it all the time since it was WAY cheaper than buying packs, and it works just fine.

cwoodin

Re:

Postby cwoodin » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:45 am UTC

Akira wrote:
Akula wrote:I would encourage you to partake Akira. It should taste/smell good... pipe tobacco is very different from cigarettes. It's also a very social thing.

I wasn't actually invited, it's my roommates friends and I doubt I'd feel comfortable in the situation, not to mention that I'm totally not a smoker-type person. However, if invited along, and if offered, I would give it a shot, I guess. lol

Geeze, why aren't there any safe, healthy social activities anymore? What happened to playing cards?? lol

Does drinking while playing cards count?
He said he never tells a lie!
He was lying about that.

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:36 am UTC

Well... a few of my friends frequently smoke Shisha... I tried it... it's not for me.

Asthma + smoke = all kinds of watery eyes and coughs.

I prefer to relax with a guitar and some beer.

And maybe some space cakes. (Asthma strikes again!)
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:30 am UTC

sleepygamer wrote:Asthma + smoke = all kinds of watery eyes and coughs.

I get by alright, as an infrequent smoker of... other material.

It's the couple days after, when my lungs are sore and my throat phlegmy that suck.
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

Philwelch

Postby Philwelch » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:54 am UTC

Around here, tons of folks smoke the hookah because the hookah bar is the only business left open after the bars close. Also, it's next door to the bars.

(College town.)
Fascism: If you're not with us you're against us.
Leftism: If you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem.

Perfection is an unattainable goal.

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:06 am UTC

Alpha Omicron wrote:
sleepygamer wrote:Asthma + smoke = all kinds of watery eyes and coughs.

I get by alright, as an infrequent smoker of... other material.

It's the couple days after, when my lungs are sore and my throat phlegmy that suck.

I have tried smoking... other material. It's fun, but I really cannot breathe properly around smoke. Of any kind. Since my parents smoked for a fair few years (my mum still does, and my dad quit when I was about 11 or so), I generally learned how to avoid coughing when it got into my lungs.

It also taught me how to breath through my mouth or nose. The smell used to bother me, so I could switch at will.

This is also good for avoiding smelly farts.

I'll take my funky brownies and space cakes over smoking it any day. It cures the munchies at the same time!

These are a must have for LAN parties and the like. :D
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

Axman

Re:

Postby Axman » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:42 am UTC

Berge wrote:Edit - Internet Wins! http://www.wikihow.com/Blow-Smoke-Rings

That first dude looks just like me! Only he can blow smoke rings and I couldn't if you socked me in the gut.

Urge to kill doppleganger rising...

Return to “General”