What's your writing utensil of choice?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Amicitia

What's your writing utensil of choice?

Postby Amicitia » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:15 am UTC

I use a Pentel GraphGear 1000 for anything in pencil--it's a bit heavy, but has good balance. Otherwise I use a Rotring Core fountain pen.

clockworkmonk
I'm on a horse!

Postby clockworkmonk » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:19 am UTC

I use the regular HB 2 pencils. Not particular as to the brand, as long as it is made of wood.

If I am doing something that requires a pen, I grab whatever is around. As I am left handed, my pens tend to break faster.
418 I'm a teapot

Shadow Tyrant

Postby Shadow Tyrant » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:19 am UTC

A needle and the blood of my fallen enemies.
Trade your old video games for new ones with Goozex!

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:22 am UTC

and/or this really cool pen that I don't have handy, but has a little Ink Visibility Window, and it ALWAYS writes a steady, smooth black line. They're about eight bucks each, and a co-worker gets them by the truckload from one of his design offices. I prefer the pencil, though.

Lyra Ngalia

Postby Lyra Ngalia » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:23 am UTC

For most things, I prefer a fine line black gel pen, but for pencils, I like mechanical, with 0.5 lead.

Make and model are unimportant, as long as it's comfortable and relatively light.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path... Only I will remain.

scrt_rbt_agnt
douche bag

Postby scrt_rbt_agnt » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:24 am UTC

whatever those regular old bic pens are. not the ones that run ink like crazy, but the other ones.
i am a poet and an artist

i don't wanna worry about dyin'
i just wanna worry about sunshine girls

wing
the /b/slayer

Postby wing » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:26 am UTC

A frickin' computer.

Failing that, whatever I can steal. I have NOTHING to write with at home.
I AM A SEXY, SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.

Amicitia

Postby Amicitia » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:27 am UTC

The pentel I use has a retractable end, which is incredibly useful and effectively less expensive then pencils which poke holes in pants/hands.

Solt

Postby Solt » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:29 am UTC

Pentel, particularly the Twist Erase .5mm (blue). I also have a .7mm which technically is for heavy writing (.5mm for notes, calculations). I've also got 2 Dr. Grip .5mm just 'cuz.

For pens I use blue Bics, the cheap ballpoints. Obviously I value my pencils far more than my pens but the Bic ballpoint is pretty good, ink flow wise. I only use pens to take notes and tests that are all words, like for humanities classes.
"Welding was faster, cheaper and, in theory,
produced a more reliable product. But sailors do
not float on theory, and the welded tankers had a
most annoying habit of splitting in two."
-J.W. Morris

__Kit

Postby __Kit » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:31 am UTC

I use those free ones people seem to give away with their company's logo on them etc.

I use bic, but I try not to, because I eat them. I eat the top which makes them impossible to click, then the side. NOM NOM NOM.
=]

pollywog
Let's party like it's my postcount

Postby pollywog » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:41 am UTC

__Kit wrote:I use those free ones people seem to give away with their company's logo on them etc.

I use bic, but I try not to, because I eat them. I eat the top which makes them impossible to click, then the side. NOM NOM NOM.

My friend ("friend" meaning guy that sits next to me) at school eats all my pens and pencils. He once bit a Biro in half, just because he didn't want to give it back to me.

I prefer pens with a sharp point, especially if someone else is going to be reading it, because my handwriting is quite messy, and I do some of my letters differently to other people, so thin lines help somehow. But if I'm writing for myself, I'll just use whatever is lying around. I have about 15 pens from different universities because of career choice day.

I can't really use clutch (mechanical) pencils, because I press too hard and always break the lead. But normal pencils are fun, and with a rubber (eraser) it looks like I make less mistakes.
suffer-cait wrote:hey, guys?
i'm fucking magic

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:47 am UTC

While my writing utensil of choice changes depending on what I'm doing (ex. pencil for mathematics/ drawing), I have a secret love for fountain pens.

They are so incredibly pompous yet so cool.

Anyone else a fan of the fancy fountain pen?
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

Amicitia

Postby Amicitia » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:49 am UTC

Okita wrote:While my writing utensil of choice changes depending on what I'm doing (ex. pencil for mathematics/ drawing), I have a secret love for fountain pens.

They are so incredibly pompous yet so cool.

Anyone else a fan of the fancy fountain pen?

The one I'm using is cheap but excellent for writing, but I have a secret desire to splurge on a expensive one that looks incredibly awesome.

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:54 am UTC

I can't stand writing, I think my technique must suck because I can't write more than a couple of paragraphs until I get sharp pains all over my hand and wrist.

I much prefer keyboards.

<3

Peshmerga
Mad Hatter

Postby Peshmerga » Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:02 am UTC

My painus
i hurd u liek mudkips???

__Kit

Postby __Kit » Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:03 am UTC

Okita wrote:Anyone else a fan of the fancy fountain pen?

Yes, my mum was telling me when I was little, I wanted to buy this $150 pen, or get it for my birthday or something, ha.
=]

lowbrass

Postby lowbrass » Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:05 am UTC

Pentel PS 315 (0.5mm):

I pretty much use this exclusively for all engineering related purposes. When I need to use a pen I prefer a Pilot Precise V5 extra fine ballpoint. But really any pen will do.
Negative, I am a meat popsicle.

scowdich
The Hedgehog

Postby scowdich » Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:44 am UTC

Black retractable Pilot G-2 05. Writes a fine, steady line, doesn't bleed easily, and I can write stuff on my hand without too much trouble (a boon for one as absent-minded as me).

Of course, when it comes to filling in tiny circles, a basic #2 graphite pencil (with a couple emergency backups that I always keep near my slide rule) is the obvious choice.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:50 am UTC

Office.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Aoeniac

Postby Aoeniac » Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:23 am UTC

Fingerpaint.

Haha but seriously I never really had much preference for writing implements until one day I picked up a pen to write with and it felt SO PERFECT in my hand that I stopped and stared at it for a good minute, holding up the line at the bank. After which I went on a quest to find a pack of them at my local supply stores, culminating in my purchase of a box of Uniball Vision Elites.

Oh but you must always, ALWAYS have a large felt-tipped marker (chisel tipped just won't do) with permanent ink that will hold to wood, plastic, metal, and paint. Keep it on hand at all times. If your pocket is too inconvenient than at least have one in the glove box or backpack. You never, ever know when you'll get an opportunity to scribble something on SOMETHING ELSE.
Class: 12th level Epiphenomenalist Alignment: Rational

jmrz
I am going to attempt to use this. I just have to wait for the opportune moment.

Postby jmrz » Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:59 am UTC

Lately, I have been writing with this:

It is a nice pen to write with, the problem I have with ballpoint pens is that they are weird shapes or they are too thin and I hold my pen weird and they end up hurting my hand. This one is thicker and I don't have that problem. For exams though, I wrap my pen with blue-tac a) to play with when I finish early/get bored/get stressed and b) to stop my hand hurting.

EDIT: Yes, it is a Maze Pen. There are two little silver balls inside the casing that fustrate me to no end because there is one section about in the middle that I just cannot get them past.
Alisto wrote:jmrz is awesome in ways that mere mortals cannot hope to comprehend.

damienthebloody
the most metal thing EVER

Postby damienthebloody » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:07 am UTC

Bacon.
German Sausage wrote:Is that an EMP in your pants, or are you just outraged by my sexist behaviour?
liza wrote:When life gives you a wife made of salt, make margaritas?
Dance like you're stamping on a human face forever.

The Cosmic Fool

Postby The Cosmic Fool » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:45 am UTC

Anything I can get my hands on.
"The future is dark, the present burdensome. Only the past, dead and buried, bears contemplation."

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:48 am UTC

Cheap pens and thae one awesome pen that Ren sent me for my birthday.

DuSTman

Postby DuSTman » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:32 pm UTC

I just ordered a rainbow-lacquered Fisher "bullet" space pen.

I also quite like fountain pens, although I don't really go for the super-expensive kind (generally, I favour the "Parker Inflection" pens with fine nibs. RRP is apparently about £30-£40, but they can be had off ebay for £15.)

mrcheesypants

Postby mrcheesypants » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:39 pm UTC

damienthebloody wrote:Bacon.

You sir, are a man beyond men. But what do you use as ink?

Anyway, I just use a bunch of BIC mechanical pencils. For college, my mother got me about 150 of them...

...and a pencil sharpener. Me and my dad continued to laugh at her until I finally moved out.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:48 pm UTC

Bacon grease, I would assume.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

joeframbach

Postby joeframbach » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:56 pm UTC

I use the Pilot G2 for everything but math. It's my best friend.
For math, BIC 0.7 mechanical pencil. I buy a dozen at the beginning of every school year.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:07 pm UTC

A fork.

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:23 pm UTC

A keyboard.

Teshi

Postby Teshi » Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:42 pm UTC

Either a keyboard or one of those pens you get from a hotel. For some reason, I prefer hotel pens over any other kind of pen.

xyzzy
Meta-Titled

Postby xyzzy » Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:44 pm UTC

I use a Pilot Hi-Tecpoint 0.5mm for everything I can. If I need to use a pencil, it's generally a cheap HB, although I'm looking at investing in a good mechanical one for math if I need it.

Where possible, however, I use pen.

DuSTman, that fountain pen you mentioned sounds right up my street. I'll keep an eye out for one.
"Wile E. Coyote was a theoretical mathematician." - Leliel
"Modern life can be so boring without elements of the bizarre or the fantastical. Hence, we have steampunk." - Me

ifeedlions

Postby ifeedlions » Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:46 pm UTC

Damned things last forever. I carry a black permanent marker on my person at all times.
Let me fall out of the window, with confetti in my hair...

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:50 pm UTC

I know that geeks use pencil, but I hate writing with a pencil. It feels icky, and I drag my hand through it sometimes, or the next page scuffs it all up so you can't read it anymore, and my writing just looks crappy with it, it doesn't flow. I prefer a fine-tip high quality ball point pen, or a fine, felt tip marker. Like a pilot or some such.

ifeedlions wrote:Image
Damned things last forever. I carry a black permanent marker on my person at all times.

You do graffiti when no one's looking, don't you?
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:53 pm UTC

ifeedlions wrote:Damned things last forever. I carry a black permanent marker on my person at all times.

You're right, they do last forever. I don't think I ever have used one completely fully. I end up losing them before I use them up.

Curious.

Maybe they secretly migrate home to recharge before re-appearing in a permanent marker box in the store.
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

ifeedlions

Postby ifeedlions » Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:00 pm UTC

@Cat: Actually, no... It's just a force of habit from working in a warehouse, and then later marking files for destruction at a sh*tty office job, and then later at a warehouse, and then marking expiration dates on plastic at several restaurants... I don't think I've ever had a job that didn't require a permanent marker, which is curious.

@Okita: My current marker has been in use for over a year now, and the tip is still firm, and has no sign of running out of ink. I suspect they rotate in one's own charge in shifts, like so many beefeaters.

Clerria

Postby Clerria » Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:24 pm UTC

Any red pen. I like pens because they're not scratchy and write smooth, so I prefer blue honestly, but I like red because:

It sticks out on a paper otherwise covered in dull colors,

It was never allowed in gradeschool, and I'm getting revenge later in life,

but most importantly, I had a Korean friend who would flip out every time I signed my name in red ink. You can't tell a girl not to do something harmless just because you fear it will kill me. It's such a shiny button to push.

Edit: Fixed for the pleasure of the masses
Last edited by Clerria on Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:28 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ifeedlions

Postby ifeedlions » Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:26 pm UTC

Clerria wrote:I like red because:

It sticks out on a paper otherwise covered in dull colors...

Still looks grey to me.

Damned normals with working sets of rods and cones...

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:14 pm UTC

Usually a roller ball pen. It has all the advantages of using ink (doesn't smudge, don't need to sharpen it or replace the lead, etc) with the resistance feel of a pencil. (Some ballpoints move too easily across the page, and my handwriting ends up getting a bit messy.) Also, unlike most ballpoints, they tend to write pretty well in the cold, too.

Though I do still have 2.5 left (two unused, one probably about halfway out of ink) of ten clicker ballpoints I bought in New Zealand almost a year ago, which I continue to use for nostalgia value.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

notallama

Postby notallama » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:08 pm UTC

conté?

Return to “General”