Explain College-level subjects in one sentence

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

teelo

Re: Explain College-level subjects in one sentence

Postby teelo » Wed May 31, 2017 1:02 am UTC

There is no British law equivalent that I'm aware of, and the bill to act system is basically the same anyway.

Law school is a four year undergraduate degree here. First year has to be taken with another degree but the other one doesn't have to be finished.

qvxb

Postby qvxb » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:56 pm UTC

Organic chemistry: A demonstration of mass extinction using premed students.

Liri
Healthy non-floating pooper reporting for doodie.

Postby Liri » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:38 pm UTC

qvxb wrote:Organic chemistry: A demonstration of mass extinction using premed students.

Heh, I just pulled out some of my old organic chem 2 tests to look at. I was quite pleased to get a B+. Organic 1 was a cakewalk.
He wondered could you eat the mushrooms, would you die, do you care.

Hekateras

Postby Hekateras » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:14 pm UTC

Evolutionary ecology: how to make 2nd year biology students cry by asking deceptively simple questions.
Evolutionary ecology and sexual selection: The kinky sex lives of slugs.
Basics of beekeeping: Bees are the Illuminati, and also we'll die if they disappear- oh look at that, they're disappearing right now.
Colour vision across species: Let's ask a gecko what colour The Dress is.
Zoology: Here's why humans are fish and birds are dinosaurs.
Zoology dissection and practical course: You will find out what a "love dart" is, and you WILL regret it.
Botany: How to impress your relatives by pointing at a daisy and shouting out its binomial name.
Molecular biology: Why a cell is like a gigantic clock.
Molecular biology of plants: Everything you learned in molecular biology is wrong.
Microbiology: Bacteria are smarter than you.
Comparative innate immunity of animals and plants: Bacteria are smarter than just about anything, and they never, ever give up.
Evolution and diversity of protists: Parasitic algae and their influence on the location of Italian cities.
Epidemiology: You will never lick an envelope again.

Response/off-topic:

Spoiler:
Euphonium wrote:
Soupspoon wrote:(The 'classic' Cyrillic thing is that restaurants are "pectopah"s ("Ресторан"). You might hit the back-to-back-Ks or reversed-N, and then there are those that are even more obviously Greek, but a lot of them are non-wierd symbols, albeit a number of times used weirdly.)

I have the opposite problem: I'm immersed enough in Russian-language written materials that I often see English text and inadvertently trying to make sense of it as though the "p"s were "rs" and all the "c"s are soft and capital "H"s are "n," "B" is "v," and all that shit."

And then there's being a Russian native speaker, when you see a phrase like "xoxoxo" (generally understood to mean "hugs and kisses" in the West) and your animal brain reads it as HOHOHO. Bonus points if the original message is "sorry for your loss, xoxoxo".

Internetmeme

Postby Internetmeme » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:44 am UTC

General Chemistry I -- Let's cover High School chemistry, to make sure everyone starts on the same page
General Chemistry II -- Now that everyone's on the same page, we'll crank the difficulty up a bit further
Organic Chemistry I -- Do you like drawing hexagons? How about zigzagged lines on the page? Well, here is an entire class devoted to that.
Organic Chemistry II -- You best start believing in weed-out classes: you're in one. Got by via cramming without understanding the concepts? You're fucked, kiddo. Got by without studying in the past? You're equally fucked. This is where you really start learning chemistry.
Physical Chemistry I -- ALL the thermodynamics. Classical, at least.
Physical Chemistry II -- Quantum mechs and stat mechs. I hope you like doing complicated integrals. If you're ever unsure about an integral, it evaluates to 1 about half the time.
Analytical chemistry -- The first word in "Analytical Chemistry" is "Anal." Which is a defining characteristic of your methodology in this class.
Inorganic Chemistry -- Do you like matrix math? I hope you like matrix math. You're going to be seeing a lot of it.
Transport Processes -- Fluid flows, mass transfer, heat transfer. Navier-Stokes is love, Navier-Stokes is life.
Reactor Design -- How to design a chemical reactor that doesn't suck. Batch reactors are easy, but shitty. Continuous-flow reactors are cool as fuck, but expensive and annoying to work out. "The CSTR Operates at Exit Conditions" will become almost memetic by the time you exit this class.

(I may have used more than one sentence for several of these)
Spoiler:

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:15 am UTC

Engineering Drawing I: Let's start with the very basics to bring the non-trade school kids up to speed
(alternatively, according to our demonstrator: It is a shame descriptive geometry is no longer part of the curriculum, kids)
Engineering Drawing II: Everything's fine if a standard (or in the case of bearings the catalogue) says so
Vehicle manufacturing: You would not beleive how many different machines there are to shave metal off some part.
Vehicles and mobile machines I-II: All the cranes, pavers, earthmoving equipment and construction machines you can imagine
they/them/theirs = he/him/his ❖ If you want to use something else out of dadaist spite, I won't mind.
✆ Hello? This is Forum Games Discord, what is your emergency?

Return to “General”