Happy Thanksgiving 2017

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

sardia

Happy Thanksgiving 2017

Postby sardia » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:48 pm UTC

I got my first time ever spatchcock turkey, and I'm hosting for the first time. It's nerve-wracking, and I've been to the grocery store 3 times this week because I keep forgetting stuff. Good thing the stores are open until Thursday afternoon. Thank god for serious eats.
http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/11/food ... -2016.html

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Re: Happy Thanksgiving 2017

Postby poxic » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:24 pm UTC

Happy turkey day to Canada's Pants! May y'all have a good one.

My family's first experience of an American Thanksgiving was some months after we officially moved to Seattle (for six years, as it turned out). My father's coworker discovered that we weren't planning anything and insisted that we come over to their house on the Thursday. Oh my goblet of plenty, I don't think I'd ever seen so much great food on one (non-restaurant) table in all my twelve years. Or quite that many partying adults or moderately bored kids. I don't know how many were there in all, but it felt like a hundred total strangers who treated us like family. It was kind of awesome.
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

I hope Heaven has a periscope to Hell, because humans are really only happy relative to other humans.
- Zach Weinersmith

pogrmman

Postby pogrmman » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:34 pm UTC

Happy thanksgiving everybody!

It’s always been a really huge thing in my family, so I came over 1000 miles back to my house for it. When I was little, it always seemed like my grandparents invited literally everybody they’d ever met over for thanksgiving. Now it’s dwindled down to the more core family, but that’s still like 12 people.

Hope all of y’all had a good thanksgiving with family and friends.

ObsessoMom
Nespresso Bomb

Postby ObsessoMom » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:19 pm UTC

Instead of traveling for a day, spending a day with my parents, and traveling back for a day, as I've done for the past few years, I stayed home with my vegetarian self, my gluten-free husband, my turkey-loathing but otherwise carnivorous daughters, my daughter's nut-allergic boyfriend, and my daughter's boyfriend's parents' Japanese exchange student (who was at loose ends because my daughter's boyfriend's parents had to go to Canada this weekend, for reasons that I couldn't quite follow when the situation was explained to me while I was busily cooking).

I somehow produced an impressive array of tasty stuff that people seemed to sincerely enjoy and appreciate. Yay, me! I would do it again, even though it was exhausting. Much merriment was had by all. And we all agreed that we need to play board games more often, not just on holidays.

sardia

Postby sardia » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:50 am UTC

I'm drowning in turkeys. I recieved two frozen turkeys from work and I have a cooked turkey we are steadily chipping away at each meal. Most of the leftover recipes people post makes the problem worse by increasing the bulk. Like turkey casserole has so many additional calories, it gets in the way of eating more turkey. And my parents are helpful, as they insist on adding starches to spoonfuls of turkey they eat.

Return to “General”