Barefoot: Good? Bad?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

What do you do in bare feet?

I enjoy sitting around in no shoes, but I wouldn't consider walking that way.
16%
I enjoy sitting around in no shoes, and the idea of walking barefoot interests me.
6%
I walk around barefoot sometimes, but I wouldn't consider doing so regularly
27%
I walk around barefoot sometimes, and the idea of doing so regularly interests me.
21%
I walk or run regularly without shoes.
26%
My shoes are glued to my feet, and they will stay that way.
1%
My shoes are glued to my feet, but I find your proposition intriguing.
3%

Total votes: 133

Rippy

Barefoot: Good? Bad?

Postby Rippy » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:57 pm UTC

How often do you go around without your shoes on, and what do you do?

This summer I came across this very interesting article, talking about the effect of shoes on our walk and health. Though I question some of the minor claims the article puts forth, I still thought it was very convincing. So I started walking the dog without shoes. On gravel.

It was not fun at first. The gravel, while not damaging, was prickly, and my calves and the front of my thighs (muscle name?) were real sore seeing as they haven't been put to use like that in so long.

Now gravel feels great, walking on glass (as long as it isn't particularly new and sharp) has no effect other than discomfort, and I can run as far without shoes as I can with them. The only downside is that my calves and the aforementioned mystery thigh muscle are still sore the next day if I run a lot; they haven't caught up to the rest of me just yet. But for me, it really has felt better, and not in a corny "I'm in touch with the earth" kind of way. It just feels nicer, like walking on the beach.

Now, I still wear shoes at school (besides, it's required), at work, and when I'm out doing day-to-day stuff, cause that's not very stressing on the feet. And besides, I'm not going around the city barefoot, I'd step on a hobo's syringe or something.

So anyway, that's the end of my long-winded story. The purpose of the thread is to see whether you crazy xkcdians are shoe-huggers or no. :P But anyway, I encourage you to have a look at that article, draw your conclusions, and post them here.

TigerX
its the squiggles dude!

Postby TigerX » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:01 pm UTC

Rainbows only when I wear footgear.

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:03 pm UTC

TigerX wrote:Rainbows only when I wear footgear.

I'm trying soooo hard for that to make sense.

Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:05 pm UTC

What would you consider tiptoes?

I think it is relevant.
Belial wrote:You are giving me the tools to sodomize my vast imagination, and for this I am grateful.

PM Me, if you care for a chat.

TigerX
its the squiggles dude!

Postby TigerX » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:05 pm UTC

Azrael wrote:I'm trying soooo hard for that to make sense.
Rainbows are a brand of sandal. IOW, the only footwear I own is a couple pair of Rainbow sandals.

Shadow Tyrant

Postby Shadow Tyrant » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:07 pm UTC

Azrael wrote:
TigerX wrote:Rainbows only when I wear footgear.

I'm trying soooo hard for that to make sense.

"I only wear shoes when it rains" would be my guess.

I like walking around barefoot, so long as it's on carpet/wood/concrete/asphault etc. I wouldn't even try walking around in nature barefoot. I've had to do it once, and it sucked ass. Pine needles and rocks do not a happy foot make.

EDIT: Damn.
Trade your old video games for new ones with Goozex!

TigerX
its the squiggles dude!

Postby TigerX » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:09 pm UTC

Shadow Tyrant wrote:EDIT: Damn.
I acknowledge the poorly worded post and take complete fault.
Last edited by TigerX on Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:18 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ThorFluff
Ursus Onanis

Postby ThorFluff » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:09 pm UTC

I'm the other way around. when i'm in nature, i can go barefooted forever
when i'm in the cities i need something to dampen my footfall, or my knees will start to hurt (after a couple of days). I have rather rough soles so to speak.
EsotericWombat wrote:You're... calling the Rolling Stones emo.

It might take a while to gather the lynch mob. no one really planned against this eventuality.

krynd wrote:That'd make an awesome sig. Unfortunately, I'm sure self-sigging isn't allowed...

Shizo

Postby Shizo » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:13 pm UTC

I'd go barefoot everywhere if businesses, schools, etc didn't care. As soon as I get home, my shoes and socks are off, usually.

Clerria

Postby Clerria » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:14 pm UTC

I'm only barefoot at home, but that is ALL the time, because the rule of our house is very eastern and we don't allow shoes past the entrance : )

Otherwise, I'm generally shoe'd in public.
eristic wrote:
Clerria wrote:Do you speak Greek? ;)

'maybe'

Amicitia

Postby Amicitia » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:17 pm UTC

Socks always. :<

Phenriz
I'm daaancin' like a monkey!

Postby Phenriz » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:19 pm UTC

shoe'd or sandal'd in public.

barefoot or socks at home.

hairy feet ftw!
(i know i made someone cringe, and that makes me smile, both inside and out)
I loveded you piggy, i lovded youuuu!!!

Chase

Postby Chase » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:21 pm UTC

Barefoot at home, sneakers everywhere else.
Principia Discordia wrote:Tis an ill wind that blows no minds.

ThorFluff
Ursus Onanis

Postby ThorFluff » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:23 pm UTC

Shoes Indoor? the idea appauls me. We're not eastern at all, but shoes INDOORS!?! that would make everything dirty and be right off unmannered! In elementary school we weren't even allowed to have shoes (or headwear) in the classrooms. Even at workplaces i feel quezy about there being no "shoe line" and everyone's walking around with footwear. I'm not a nudist, but putting on clothes when it isn't nessesary seems so... well stupid! I mean, sure you don't let your shlong hang out in public but if the sun is scorching, why wear a tie? why even button your shirt? at all!
Everyone has some kind of idea that the more contorted you look in your clothes the better you are at what you do.
EsotericWombat wrote:You're... calling the Rolling Stones emo.

It might take a while to gather the lynch mob. no one really planned against this eventuality.

krynd wrote:That'd make an awesome sig. Unfortunately, I'm sure self-sigging isn't allowed...

KicktheCAN
v "This used to be my penis!"

Postby KicktheCAN » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:24 pm UTC

I hate socks and where sandals when I can. I obviously have to wear shoes in crowded areas and such so nobody steps on my feet.
pollywog is awesome, that is all.
Addendum: Sethicus is also cool to the maximum.

Akira: i prefer monster black-man cocks.
Hoags: It's getting all 2vreks1CAN in here

Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:26 pm UTC

Oh right! Good point good point!

I'm always wearing my stripy cotton/woolen (can never remember which) stockings, unless I'm wearing something that prohibits that. And tiptoeing about.

What option is there for me Mr. Topic-creator-person-thing?
Belial wrote:You are giving me the tools to sodomize my vast imagination, and for this I am grateful.

PM Me, if you care for a chat.

Ketzerei

Postby Ketzerei » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:42 pm UTC

When I'm at home (that is, real home and not stupid-dorm-room-home) I'll be barefoot if I haven't gone out that day and besocked if I have. That is, I don't put on socks unless I need them for shoes, but nor can I be arsed to take them off. Never wear shoes indoors, though, unless I'm only staying inside for a minute.

I used to go barefoot outside all the time, but I haven't regularly done so in several years. I think I lost the habit one winter and then just never got into it again when the snow melted. Could well be something to look into, though.
とても嬉しかったよ
君が笑い掛けてた
全てを溶かす微笑みで

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:46 pm UTC

I walk around barefoot if I'm just stepping out or going somewhere on foot from my house. If I'm going to work or someplace else that I need a car to get to, I'll generally wear combat boots or tabis.

Tabis transmit so much sensation through the feet that you might as well be barefooted, though.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:00 pm UTC

One of my coworkers over the summer mentioned that thing about the health issues. I haven't actually looked into it.

I'm not a huge fan of shoes, but I wear them most of the time when I'm not in my apartment. It's unfortunate, but I wouldn't dare wear them in the office; the floor is so dirty it would eat right through my socks.

Rippy

Postby Rippy » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:20 pm UTC

That's one thing I don't get: what are the health issues?

What's the difference between walking into a grocery store with dirt on your shoes, and walking in with dirt on your feet? You're allowed to sneeze, to touch things with your hands, but you're not allowed to expose feet that only come into contact with the floor?

The "no shirt" part I can understand at least for decency issues (i.e. fat sweaty old guy with no shirt), but noone sees your feet, and they don't stink if you wash them properly.

Ishindri

Postby Ishindri » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:48 pm UTC

I wish I could go around barefoot- it'd be so much more comfortable- but my OCDish tendencies won't allow my bare feet to touch the floor. Boo.
All is well. We are not like the others.

Malkavon

Postby Malkavon » Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:01 am UTC

Phenriz wrote:shoe'd or sandal'd in public.

barefoot or socks at home.

hairy feet ftw!
(i know i made someone cringe, and that makes me smile, both inside and out)

Hairy feet of the world unite!

I used to walk barefoot outside all the time, including walking through the local parks barefoot and doing some light hiking. However, I haven't spent much time outside lately that didn't involve me going somewhere that required shoes, so I haven't had much outdoor barefoot time aside from running out to put trash out etc. I'm a veritable Hobbit though (in terms of foot-hair as well as enjoying barefooted-ness).

Around the house, I'm barefoot. Even when it's cold, I have a pair of pajamas which I can fold around my feet. Hairy-footed peoples in cold climates can attest to the fact that socks = pain with cold hair follicles.

DuSTman

Postby DuSTman » Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:04 am UTC

Going barefoot in public = need to be much more careful not to step on snails..

...I'll pass for now.

Rippy

Postby Rippy » Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:06 am UTC

Also, I realized that as a Canadian, I'm screwed in 2 months. Unless I buy heavy-duty socks and walk in those, I don't see what I'll do when winter rolls around.

Twasbrillig
Tawsbirlig

Postby Twasbrillig » Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:08 am UTC

Otters are glued to my ducks.
I want to have Bakemaster's babies. It's possible, with science.

I wonder if you can see...
...what is wrong with my signature?

wing wrote:I'm sorry... But that was THE funniest thing I've ever read on the interbutts.

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:12 am UTC

I get as close to barefoot as possible, whenever it's possible.
MotleyJesster (12:34:04 PM): Better than moping around being all "I do not need love, I have indie music and a wind instrument!"

Solt

Postby Solt » Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:15 am UTC

I enjoy a short walk around the house (outside) barefoot every now and then, and of course never wear shoes inside. I also like driving barefoot (manual). I feel like I have greater control over the clutch when barefoot.

But I'm afraid to walk places barefoot because of the chance of picking up hookworm larvae, which burrow through your skin on contact and get into your circulatory system. I don't hesitate that much exposing myself to possible flu or food poisoning situations, but parasites can live in your body for decades without you knowing, which I can't stand the thought of.
"Welding was faster, cheaper and, in theory,
produced a more reliable product. But sailors do
not float on theory, and the welded tankers had a
most annoying habit of splitting in two."
-J.W. Morris

xkcd_n00bz

Postby xkcd_n00bz » Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:16 am UTC

Put your shoes on, Hippy!

I wear penny loafers in the shower, and boots to bed. My naked toes have never seen the light of day. I don't want to see your ugly, mishapen, gnarled toenails either. Shod yourself, or I'll stomp ya.

Malkavon

Postby Malkavon » Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:25 am UTC

xkcd_n00bz wrote:Put your shoes on, Hippy!

I wear penny loafers in the shower, and boots to bed. My naked toes have never seen the light of day. I don't want to see your ugly, mishapen, gnarled toenails either. Shod yourself, or I'll stomp ya.

Pfft, your stomping is no match for the power of the Unbound Foot! In all seriousness though, I consider it a matter of decency to keep my toe nails trimmed and neat if I intend to display my feet. To do otherwise would be ... uncivilized!

Will
There are about a million things I can do from behind

Postby Will » Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:52 am UTC

If I could go barefoot all the time, I would. Most of the time, I wear sandals. I HATE wearing shoes, they make my feet feel all stuffy >.<

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:04 am UTC

I like sandals, but they don't like me.
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

Shizo

Postby Shizo » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:09 am UTC

Rippy wrote:Also, I realized that as a Canadian, I'm screwed in 2 months. Unless I buy heavy-duty socks and walk in those, I don't see what I'll do when winter rolls around.

heavy-duty socks? :? I'll still wear sandals/go barefoot in 2 months. I think Wisconsin gets as cold or at least close in temperature to Ontario, I dunno.

Spot

Postby Spot » Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:47 am UTC

Hi Rippy! I read that article too and was inspired to take more time without shoes. And like you, I have my questions about it. I pretty much always wear shoes when I'm outside (unless I'm just taking out the trash or something), but when I get home, I strip down to socks and occasionally barefeet. I've gone on a few midnight strolls while barefoot, and unfortunately, this "foxwalking" that the article talked about has not come naturally to me yet. Every once in a while, I will put my shoes on when I am inside because my feet can get uncomfortable when free.

Also, Solt has me totally concerned about hookworms now.

:(

antonfire

Postby antonfire » Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:47 am UTC

I hate socks, so I'm usually in sandals or barefoot. It's been a bit cold lately, so it's been sandals, but I like to walk around barefoot whenever it's not too uncomfortable.

At one point, I did actually walk on sharp gravel for long enough that my feet were bleeding a little bit. Yea. I put on shoes when I noticed, though.
Jerry Bona wrote:The Axiom of Choice is obviously true; the Well Ordering Principle is obviously false; and who can tell about Zorn's Lemma?

Phi
Has Proportional Boobs (As rumor has it)

Postby Phi » Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:06 am UTC

Socks and shoes hug my feet. It's such a nice feeling.
If I've been walking around all day, though, I will take off my shoes. Usually too lazy to take off the socks, as they don't hinder my feet mobility all that much.

H.E.L.e.N.
Cheesy-tuna-bacon-pickle?

Postby H.E.L.e.N. » Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:11 am UTC

If everywhere were clean warm sidewalks, I would be barefoot all the time.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:22 am UTC

I am barefoot (socks) at work, barefoot (sockless) at home, and often barefoot while doing yardwork. I'd take a picture of my feet, but it would probably break some sort of decency law (hint: I can put a dime up to a depth equal to it's radius into the cracks in my heels, and it would stay there.)

__Kit

Postby __Kit » Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:45 am UTC

As a child I was a barefoot bandit, I own one pair of shoes when I have to, but I try to be barefooted.
One time I saw a girl with no shoes on, and I didn't have any one, and I said "hey, nice shoes"... she must've had a boyfriend or something, definitely.

Also, that article is mean.
Last edited by __Kit on Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:09 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
=]

zenten

Postby zenten » Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:57 am UTC

I tend to walk around naked at home, so wearing socks would just look dumb. Wearing shoes even more so. When I am wearing clothes, I wear socks, but no shoes inside the home, and inside other people's homes. Wearing shoes is the height of rudeness, and allowing people to wear shoes in your house just means you want to force your guests to either be uncomfortable, or get their feet dirty.

That said, wearing shoes outside the home will also get them dirty, and most of the ground hurts anyway, plus there always seems to be broken glass everywhere.

pollywog
Let's party like it's my postcount

Postby pollywog » Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:11 am UTC

I might wear jandals in winter, if it gets frosty. Apart from that, I only wear shoes at school, where I have to otherwise they won't let me in the library. And I take them off whenever I'm in a non-science class. The thought of wearing shoes in a house kind of disturbs me. I didn't wear shoes at my grandmother's funeral, or my aunts wedding. And (best of my foot stories) I once broke a bottle by standing on it with no injury to myself. I think it may have been cracked already though.

Basically: shoes suck. Especially because they make it impossible to climb trees.
suffer-cait wrote:hey, guys?
i'm fucking magic

Return to “General”