Barefoot: Good? Bad?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

What do you do in bare feet?

I enjoy sitting around in no shoes, but I wouldn't consider walking that way.
16%
I enjoy sitting around in no shoes, and the idea of walking barefoot interests me.
6%
I walk around barefoot sometimes, but I wouldn't consider doing so regularly
27%
I walk around barefoot sometimes, and the idea of doing so regularly interests me.
21%
I walk or run regularly without shoes.
26%
My shoes are glued to my feet, and they will stay that way.
1%
My shoes are glued to my feet, but I find your proposition intriguing.
3%

Total votes: 133

davis

Postby davis » Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:13 am UTC

It's wonderful when you don't step on anything. It's a new stream of information with which to interpret the world. It's like getting another sense, but less cool.

I've heard from people I know that if you do it a lot your feet get really, really tough and stepping on things matters less.

I always wash my feet carefully when I get them all dirted up.

Aight, gonna read the article now.

NinjaArcana

Postby NinjaArcana » Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:17 am UTC

I used to go barefoot a lot, or wear slippers (Flip-Flops, or "Thongs" for all you people not from Hawaii), because it is so bloody humid in Hawaii. :| This was also partly because I didn't have shoes that I liked wearing (or cared that I was wearing). Now though, I find myself wearing these shoes I just got more often. Converses? Or something like that.

platypus01

Postby platypus01 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:21 am UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:(hint: I can put a dime up to a depth equal to it's radius into the cracks in my heels, and it would stay there.)

thats slightly eww, but more than that what boggles me is, HOW?!?! im trying to imagine how you could possibly do that..... :?:
not sure i really want to know though lol.

im barefoot around the house, and in others places too unless they wear shoes indoors. outside though, i wear shoes and socks. i would go barefoot but:
1) the grounds dirty. and people spit on the ground (WHY?!?!?!) among other things.
2) asphalt hurts for me, but from other replies in this thread i just need to get used to it, it looks like.
3) if a lot of other people went barefoot too. i dont want to get my toes crushed anytime soon, thank you very much.
4) i fear someday ill let my toenails grow too long, step funny and have one of them pop off or something like that. ugh. i do try to keep my toenails cut though.
bleh

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:19 am UTC

I have started going barefoot around campus. It's part of my latest campaign to walk around like I own the place. I also mingle with random people in the hallway, like I'm the university hostess, and sit in unconventional places to study.
Agent Anderson wrote:Get back to the math & computer jokes; math is sexier than sex.

The Cosmic Fool

Postby The Cosmic Fool » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:29 am UTC

Socks or shoes for me.

...hippies.
"The future is dark, the present burdensome. Only the past, dead and buried, bears contemplation."

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:56 am UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I am barefoot (socks) at work, barefoot (sockless) at home, and often barefoot while doing yardwork. I'd take a picture of my feet, but it would probably break some sort of decency law (hint: I can put a dime up to a depth equal to it's radius into the cracks in my heels, and it would stay there.)

I really want to see a picture of that now... dime included.

In college I would walk or drive barefoot frequently, even in snow for short distances. Now its only barefoot at home. I moved to a big city.

Forthur

Postby Forthur » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:13 am UTC

My feet are quite sensitive, so I try to walk barefooted wherever the floor feels nice (grass, beach, indoors), and wear shoes or sandals otherwise. But I hate walking on socks.

I think I'm the only one in our office who takes off his shoes (and socks).
Wearing shoes indoors is quite common around here; it makes your stay feel temporary, I guess. This helps me: if I can't really get started doing things in the morning (zombie mode), I put on my shoes - it gives me a bit of pressure, a feeling that I have to do just a few more things before I can go on.
Life's biggest adventures are the dreams you try to make real.

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:15 am UTC

I only go barefoot in the home. Once in a while I have done it at work, when I wore construction-grade steel toe boots all day, and sometimes my feet would itch real bad due to athlete's foot. When all OTC ointments didn't help, my doctor prescribed something that did, and she also suggested I wear a lighter shoe, like sandals or loafers. I bought a pair of house slippers that are decent enough to wear outside of the house, like to work or elsewhere. My boss doesn't have a problem with it. I think he said he didn't have a problem with me taking off my shoes if needed, as long as I kept my feet under my desk. IOW, I can take the shoes off if I'm not walking.

I have gone barefoot indoors for as long as I remember. I have even gone barefoot in friends' houses if I spent the night with them, and their parents didn't mind. In fact, I had one friend whose parents required you to take off your shoes when you entered the house.

I think I read somewhere that taking off your shoes helps reduce the amount of bacteria and fungus on your feet, reducing risk of athlete's foot or other related foot conditions. If you let the shoes air out, it helps to reduce the fungus. I may get some spray to spray in the shoes to help kill it altogether. I still have the boots, in case if I have to do any roadside safety inspection.
PRG

An important message for you:

Pixel

Postby Pixel » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:18 pm UTC

I go barefoot around the house if I haven't yet put my boots on for the day. Otherwise I'm wearing my combat boots inside the house or out.

I like being barefoot outside, however the combat boot tendency means I have virtually no callouses and my feet get sore quickly.

I'd be more inclined to go barefoot more, but my lifestyle isn't geared towards it. For instance, working on cars barefoot is a recipe for smashed toes.
Some people have a genuine gift of poetry, a way with words that surpasses beauty and touches the deepest parts of one's soul... and some people, um, thingy.

"Less bite, more wobble"

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:56 pm UTC

I wore those construction steel-toe boots for two or three reasons:

First, when I was younger, I had a problem with my ankles and my feet. The problem was that I always ended up walking either on the insides or the outsides of my feet. If I wore regular tennis shoes, my feet would go inwards or outwards a bit. If I wore boots, however, I had the ankle support needed to correct my feet. I think wearing them for so long has helped to correct it completely. That and my ankles/feet finally filling in a bit. I still had the problem in high school.

Second, I used to work a lot of warehouse jobs off and on through temp agencies, and they all ask that you have the steel toe boot. Even though I no longer worked the warehouse/industrial circuit, I was so used to wearing them I kept buying them whenever the old pair wore out.

Third, I used to do a lot of stuff outside (yard work, hiking, ghost hunting) that it just seemed to be more necessary to wear them, for safety reasons above anything else. Nowadays I don't do much, if any yard work. I haven't been hiking through a few acres of woods or gone ghost hunting in a cemetery in years. Like I said, I still have the boots should the need arise that I should pull them back out. I may toss them though and get a brand new pair.
PRG

An important message for you:

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:24 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I am barefoot (socks) at work, barefoot (sockless) at home, and often barefoot while doing yardwork. I'd take a picture of my feet, but it would probably break some sort of decency law (hint: I can put a dime up to a depth equal to it's radius into the cracks in my heels, and it would stay there.)

Try Flexitol Heel Balm, worked wonders for my cracked heels.

zenten

Postby zenten » Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:36 pm UTC

Jesster wrote:

I like Bert's Bees myself.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:48 pm UTC

Jesster wrote:

Actually, I use "Save Your Sole" stuff, and I have to pumice the crap out of my feet every few days. For the record, wicked bad eczema from the knees down, and on my hands (my pinkie is bleeding as we speak). Had it my whole life, it's actually at the point where blood coming out of my appendages doesn't even bug me anymore (but I have to take care of it, because it scares the crap out of my son).

"Dad, what's wrong with your feet? I think they're really sick. You're sticking to the carpet! DAD, there's a toy stuck to your foot!"

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:30 pm UTC

Eczema's horrible -- my mum gets it really badly on her hands, and my little cousin used to get it terribly all over until they finally found something that worked on him, so now he usually just gets small patches once in a while.

When I lived at my dad's, I walked barefoot all the time. I remember laughing at my cousin because he couldn't walk on gravel barefoot, when I didn't even notice it. When I moved into town, I'd often walk home barefoot. Since moving to England, though, I think the only time I ever left the house barefoot was to chase my dog down the street when she managed to get out the front door...

I really like being barefoot, but there's so much broken glass everywhere around here that I'd never want to risk it.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:33 pm UTC

Yeah, when I was a kid I had it everywhere.... for years (during the bad days, anyways) I slept with my hands and feet wrapped in cold cream, then wrapped in baggies, and then stuffed into socks, just so I wouldn't wake up covered in scratches and blood. Whoopee!

Always reminds me of Blackadder...

Edmund: Ploppy, son of Ploppy the jailor?
Mr. Ploppy: Ah ach no Sir. I am the first Ploppy to rise to be jailor. My father, Daddy Ploppy was known as Ploppy the slopper. It was from him that I inherited my fascinating skin diseases.
Edmund: Yes you are to be congratulated, my friend. We, we live in an age where illness and deformity are common place and yet Ploppy, you are without a doubt the most repulsive individual that I have ever met. I would shake your hand but I fear it would come off.
Mr. Ploppy: There's no many bosses would be that considerate sir.

arbivark

Postby arbivark » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:33 pm UTC

The year I was 21 I went barefoot almost all the time.
Currently barefoot. When I wear shoes, which is usually, I can only wear Converse. When I was in Hawaii recently, it was a pain to remember to take my shoes off every time I'd run in the house for a minute.
I guess that my current rule is that if I go out somewhere, I wear shoes. If I'm at home (inside or outside) I might or might not be wearing shoes. Like, if I've been out, I probably have shoes on, if I've had a bath since I was last out, I probably don't.
I've heard that in Japan it's more complicated - certain sandals worn only to/from the bathroom.

KicktheCAN
v "This used to be my penis!"

Postby KicktheCAN » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:40 pm UTC

Reading through this thread made me realize that I do not walk heel-toe like normal people. I walk almost entirely on the front part of my feet. Even when walking in shoes I tend to only lightly touch my heels to the ground.
pollywog is awesome, that is all.
Addendum: Sethicus is also cool to the maximum.

Akira: i prefer monster black-man cocks.
Hoags: It's getting all 2vreks1CAN in here

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:43 pm UTC

That's called 'stalking'.

KicktheCAN
v "This used to be my penis!"

Postby KicktheCAN » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:47 pm UTC

So I'm a stalker?
pollywog is awesome, that is all.
Addendum: Sethicus is also cool to the maximum.

Akira: i prefer monster black-man cocks.
Hoags: It's getting all 2vreks1CAN in here

Grlmm
Would like to buy a vowel

Postby Grlmm » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:48 pm UTC

KicktheCAN wrote:So I'm a stalker?

I'll be watching you...every breath you take...every move you make...

marshlight

Postby marshlight » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:11 pm UTC

Stalking like corn? Or celery?

Sorry.

Anyway. Socks and shoes make me feel a ton warmer than barefoot / flipflops. Also, I have kind of deformed feet (had a good set of angled bunions all my life, and really random and thick calluses on my big toe) so they are a bit embarrassing (and prone to seizing up occasionally).

That said, I'd love to walk around barefoot more often but I'd rather not step in anything associated with a college campus. *shudder* My room and hallway (but NOT the floor bathroom) is the only section I feel safe walking on. Maybe someday I'll have a bit more space I can approve but not right now.
Belial wrote:Time to hide in the CAVE OF AWESOME.

pollywog
Let's party like it's my postcount

Postby pollywog » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:41 pm UTC

KicktheCAN wrote:So I'm a stalker?

Welcome to the club. You could come to our meetings, where we share videos of our stalkees, and tips and techniques to improve our stalking. (Be afraid, Insi Dei, be very afraid)
suffer-cait wrote:hey, guys?
i'm fucking magic

NathanielK

Postby NathanielK » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:18 am UTC

I've been going barefoot whenever possible for a few years now. My first time, my friend convinced me to take a walk without shoes. We walked about 5 miles. On asphalt. Yeah, I had blisters the next day. I also stepped in dog doings that day. It's amazing I tried it again, frankly.
You'd think broken glass would be a problem, but it's not, unless you're brushing your feet against the ground (Don't do this--you can scrape your foot up even without the glass). I tend not to use the "fox step" on smooth ground, since it requires a shorter stride. I do use it when I can't see the ground (grass) or I'm worried it might hurt (thorns, large gravel) -- whenever I'm paying attention to exactly where I'm putting my foot.
I go barefoot most of the year, although it does get too cold in the winter (walking barefoot through snow and ice is painful). College professors don't care, and most stores don't either. I do keep sandals in my car for the few places that do. These places often cite imaginary laws (Sum total of relevant laws in the US: OSHA requires protective footwear for certain jobs (steel-toed boots if there's a danger of falling objects, waterproof boots for firemen, that sort of thing), you must wear shoes if riding a motorcycle in Alabama, and some states have health regulations if you're a food service worker (I don't know why; I don't want my food anywhere near their feet, shoes or no.(Yay nested parenthesis!))) Sometimes I argue, sometimes I just grab my sandals. Mostly depends on how polite the person is. I once got kicked out of a grocery store for not having shoes--not because the manager cared, himself, but because some busybody little old lady went over and yelled at him until he kicked me out. I didn't argue; I felt sorry for the guy.
It's warm enough to go barefoot about 8-9 months a year here, and I always dread the first day I have to wear shoes. My feet feel so cramped, and I can't feel the ground! I love being able to feel the ground beneath my feet. Also, it makes me feel like Sam Vimes.
Well, I'm clearly rambling and should try to get some sleep before class.
This message composed of 100% post-consumer electrons.
My blag

reishka

Postby reishka » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:34 am UTC

I prefer going without shoes. And I'll go without socks, if it's warm enough. Now that the weather's getting colder that's going to get more and more rare, but I'm still not about to wear my shoes in the house.

In the summer, I'd walk into the backyard to put my clothes on the line. My boy? Puts on shoes to walk 20 feet to the line to take the clothes in. What's the point?

Then again, he also wears shoes in the house and socks to bed. I don't understand him.

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:00 am UTC

reishka wrote:Then again, he also wears shoes in the house and socks to bed. I don't understand him.

Socks to bed I do during the summer when it's too warm to wear sheets, otherwise my feet dry out.

reishka

Postby reishka » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:33 am UTC

EvanED wrote:Socks to bed I do during the summer when it's too warm to wear sheets, otherwise my feet dry out.

See, that I could understand, but he sleeps with a sheet all summer and a blanket all winter. He'll go to bed in boxers and socks!

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:50 am UTC

I've realised today just how much I tend to walk around school with my shoes off...I take them off pretty much as soon as I walk into the common room (partially so they aren't noticed -- I've been wearing black Converse with white words on lately, which don't quite fit the uniform code) and only put them on to go to lessons...any wandering around I do during my frees is usually without shoes.

Though I am wearing shoes now. Probably because I'm wearing my flats, not my Converse (actually, after I finish typing this, I'm changing back, I only put these shoes on so I wouldn't get told off at the Mass), and they're a lot quicker to slip back on when I stand up.

__Kit

Postby __Kit » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:10 am UTC

Hah, I also remember when at primary where I would take my shoes of, I would run around on the grass, and everyone else would be like "ow! how come you don't get prickles?" I didn't really know then, and I guess I walked around barefeet because I thought my feet were extra tough (while truly, it is the other way round).
=]

zombie_monkey

Postby zombie_monkey » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:39 am UTC

Shoes indoors I find crazy and disgusting, but it's apparently normal in some countries/palces?
When I go hiking I'm barefoot maybe half the time, like except when we're walking on small sharp stones? But I don't see how I could do it regularly, I don't live in a village or anything. Cities are _dirty_. But it's clearly superior otherwise, in terms of comfort.

marshlight

Postby marshlight » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:01 pm UTC

Waitwaitwaitwaitwait. Lots of people have been saying stuff like:
zombie_monkey wrote:Shoes indoors I find crazy and disgusting, but it's apparently normal in some countries/palces?

Now does that mean people in some places do not wear shoes at their place of employment / other indoor things like restaurants and such? Like, as a general rule?

Not wearing them around the house I get, but not wearing them in my office??
Belial wrote:Time to hide in the CAVE OF AWESOME.

TiberiusM

Postby TiberiusM » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:12 pm UTC

zombie_monkey wrote:Stuff .... When I go hiking I'm barefoot maybe half the time, like except when we're walking on small sharp stones? .... More Stuff

I'm always tempted to hike barefoot, but I know my feet can't stand up to it. However plodding around through the undergrowth in giant boots drives me crazy (mainly cause I prefer to be stealthy). I've always wanted a good pair of moccasins, but I never got around to making any, just like I never got around to finishing my ghillie suit.

Catch22

Postby Catch22 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:25 pm UTC

If I'm home or whatever, I'll go barefoot if I think about it. If I don't need to take my shoes off (to change or something) I'll most likely forget I have them on.

I used to go barefoot a lot more often in the summer, until I stepped on a huge thorn that went right through my toe. It was not right through the middle, kind of off to the side, but man did it hurt.
On a long enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

zombie_monkey

Postby zombie_monkey » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:02 pm UTC

marshlight wrote:Now does that mean people in some places do not wear shoes at their place of employment / other indoor things like restaurants and such? Like, as a general rule?

I meant in places of residence, not restaurants. Also, AFAIK there are _some_ offices around here in which people don't wear shoes, where they want to make employees feel more at home and at ease.

yelly

Postby yelly » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:28 pm UTC

I like to not wear shoes whenever possible, youth movements FTW!
I will never wear shoes at home, I will normally not put shoes on when taking out the garbage and I will take my shoes off whenever I can get away with it. I also tend to wear sandals as having hot feet really drives me mad.
BTW, my dad never wears shoes in his office, and apparently neither does Steve Jobs (yes, yes, apple cultist).
"So there are 3 guards, one always tells the truth, one always lies and the third answers randomly"
"But I only want to know the fucking time!"

GodlyCheeze

Postby GodlyCheeze » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:32 pm UTC

I usually only where shoes when I'm walking somewhere, in school, or out of the house in general. Most people usually where shoes when they drum, but I've felt that its more comfortable when I don't.
So really I only wear shoes when I have to.
"It is better to be pissed off than to be pissed on"

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:42 pm UTC

The only reasons I don't go everywhere barefoot are these:

In this area, most people with dogs allow them to crap everywhere, and I much prefer to clean shoes than bare feet.
People who don't like me will probably be tempted to stamp on my feet if they're bare.

I don't think it's the shoes I don't like, it's the socks. An extra layer of insulation that makes the feet sweaty, and sometimes gives a funny band of pressed skin when you take them off.
hermaj wrote:No-one. Will. Be. Taking. Cheese's. Spot.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Cheese is utterly correct on all fronts.
SecondTalon wrote:That thing that Cheese just said. Do that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I hereby disagree and declare Cheese to be brilliant.

sillybear25
civilized syllabub
Location: Look at me, I'm putting a meta-joke in the Location field.

Postby sillybear25 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:49 pm UTC

I wear shoes if I'm going out of the house, simply because it's the generally accepted norm, but I always take off my shoes when it's considered acceptable, like in my own or someone else's home. I put socks on only when I'm going to put shoes on, and can't be bothered to take my socks off once they're on.

barefoot on beaches and in my home. Though I have to say, the idea of going barefoot all the time intrigues me...
This space intentionally left blank.

pollywog

Postby pollywog » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:53 pm UTC

marshlight wrote:Now does that mean people in some places do not wear shoes at their place of employment / other indoor things like restaurants and such? Like, as a general rule?

I don't like to wear shoes on carpet. Wood or concrete would probably be ok, not tiles. I guess that this is a psychological thing now.
i'm fucking magic

Nimz

Postby Nimz » Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:28 am UTC

pollywog wrote:I don't like to wear shoes on carpet. Wood or concrete would probably be ok, not tiles. I guess that this is a psychological thing now.
Would wearing shoes while stepping on white tiles between black tiles be preferable to wearing shoes while stepping on other white tiles?
Sorry, couldn't resist.

I'm apparently one of the vulgar people who doesn't mind wearing shoes inside his house. If you don't want me wearing shoes when I'm in your house, I'm happy to follow the house rules. When I'm home I usually take my socks off at the same time as my shoes, though sometimes I put my socks on well before putting my shoes on. Meh.

As I am typing this, I am barefoot (and procrastinating, but that's another matter). Had I not changed my clothes, I would probably still be shod, though. My shoe-wearing has quite a bit of inertia: I need a good reason to put them on or take them off.

I don't mind walking on grass, gravel or pavement while barefoot. Walking on dirt takes a bit more care. The dirt itself is fine, but here in the desert, thorns make their hideouts in the dirt (damn you, tumbleweeds!). Glass can cut, but it can usually be avoided. Thorns will hide, then poke and stay there, making you uncomfortable until they are dislodged.

Ever since I was little, I called sandals that just have a single V-shaped strap on them "zoris." Of course, before I found out where that word came from, I would have spelled it "zories." Other styles of sandals are just sandals. Anyway, I love the CLICK CLACK sound zoris make as they smack against my heels when I'm walking.
LOWA

pollywog

Postby pollywog » Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:32 am UTC

Nimz wrote:
pollywog wrote:I don't like to wear shoes on carpet. Wood or concrete would probably be ok, not tiles. I guess that this is a psychological thing now.
Would wearing shoes while stepping on white tiles between black tiles be preferable to wearing shoes while stepping on other white tiles?
Sorry, couldn't resist.

Ever since I was little, I called sandals that just have a single V-shaped strap on them "zoris." Of course, before I found out where that word came from, I would have spelled it "zories." Other styles of sandals are just sandals. Anyway, I love the CLICK CLACK sound zoris make as they smack against my heels when I'm walking.

First bit: I wouldn't like to step on white tiles if wearing shoes. I don't like the marks they leave.

Second bit: In New Zealand, those are called jandals, from Japanese + sandal. We copied them first, so we invented them. And they're pretty much the only type on shoe I enjoy wearing.
i'm fucking magic

Return to “General”