How did a discontinued foreign coin end up in my car?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Himself

How did a discontinued foreign coin end up in my car?

Postby Himself » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:05 pm UTC

I found a 1/2 French franc coin in my car in the US. The Franc was discontinued in 2002 in favor of the Euro, while the car is a 2010 model. Neither I nor my father who owned it previously have been to France; at least not in the past 15 years. Could it have somehow circulated among US coins all this time without anyone noticing?
"Looking me am a civilization person"
-Ratio Tile

Ginger

Re: How did a discontinued foreign coin end up in my car?

Postby Ginger » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:10 pm UTC

Well, sometimes I get Canadian coins, and I never ever go to Canada. So maybe maybe?
Amy Lee wrote:Just what we all need... more lies about a world that never was and never will be.

Azula to Long Feng wrote:Don't flatter yourself, you were never even a player.

Himself

Postby Himself » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:24 am UTC

True, but those coins are still legal tender in Canada. This was discontinued and it doesn't quite match the size of any U.S. coin.
-Ratio Tile

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:35 am UTC

Have you read "Reaper Man", by Terry Pratchett? Something similar to the Snow Globe eggs?

(Or just a divine gift, like the things that the Goddess Anoia possibly brings into existence to stop drawers opening.)

Himself

Postby Himself » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:08 am UTC

Soupspoon wrote:Have you read "Reaper Man", by Terry Pratchett? Something similar to the Snow Globe eggs?

(Or just a divine gift, like the things that the Goddess Anoia possibly brings into existence to stop drawers opening.)

Unfortunately I'm not versed in the works of Terry Pratchett. But if we're having fun speculating, perhaps and alternate timeline where France continued to rule eastern North America?
-Ratio Tile

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:15 am UTC

OOPART?
Lucky coin of a worker in a car factory?
Someone playing tricks?
—◯-◯

DavidSh

Postby DavidSh » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:21 pm UTC

I know I keep coins from old foreign trips. Occasionally they work themselves back into my pockets. If you or your father ever gave a ride to somebody else with such a coin, it could have fallen out of a pocket.

Also note that, before the Euro, Francs were also in use in the French islands in the Caribbean.

What is the year on the coin?

Himself

Postby Himself » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:28 pm UTC

The year on the coin is 1992. I looked it up and it doesn't look like it's worth much to coin collectors. I keep change in the console but that would suggest the coin was circulating despite not really matching any U.S. coin.
-Ratio Tile

commodorejohn

Postby commodorejohn » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:44 pm UTC

It was planted there as a cryptic clue by a field agent for a shadowy organization opposing the world-conquering aims of another, shadowier organization, in a desperate attempt to draw you into a web of conspiracy, a life on the run, and maybe, just maybe, the love of a lifetime.
"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling."
- Bjarne Stroustrup
www.commodorejohn.com - in case you were wondering, which you probably weren't.

Ginger

Postby Ginger » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:29 am UTC

A discontinue French criminal on the lam from cops and judges hid his last stolen coin in Your Car... years and years... ago. <3 :)
Amy Lee wrote:Just what we all need... more lies about a world that never was and never will be.

Yablo

Postby Yablo » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:34 pm UTC

Himself wrote:I found a 1/2 French franc coin in my car in the US. The Franc was discontinued in 2002 in favor of the Euro, while the car is a 2010 model. Neither I nor my father who owned it previously have been to France; at least not in the past 15 years. Could it have somehow circulated among US coins all this time without anyone noticing?

Is your Flux Capacitor working?
If you like Call of Cthulhu and modern government conspiracy, check out my Delta Green thread.
Please feel free to ask questions or leave comments.

teelo

Postby teelo » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:36 am UTC

I'm not saying it was aliens, but... it was aliens.

Ginger

Postby Ginger » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:46 am UTC

A common excuses for, like, when Catholic teenage girls does something sexy/naughty and or bad: "Lucifer Morningstar put the discontinued French coin in your car."

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:21 am UTC

Lots of unrealistic explanations here. Let's be reasonable, it's likely just a piece of metal that accidentally got eroded in the shape of a franc. Happens a lot with Jesus.

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:51 am UTC

What kind of car is it? A Delorean?

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:03 am UTC

Zamfir wrote:Lots of unrealistic explanations here. Let's be reasonable, it's likely just a piece of metal that accidentally got eroded in the shape of a franc. Happens a lot with Jesus.

Jesus gets eroded into the shape of a franc? Oh such fickle flesh!

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:35 am UTC

Soupspoon wrote:
Zamfir wrote:Lots of unrealistic explanations here. Let's be reasonable, it's likely just a piece of metal that accidentally got eroded in the shape of a franc. Happens a lot with Jesus.

A side effect of being given franc and cents as a baby.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:21 pm UTC

Mutex wrote:
Soupspoon wrote:

That response is either gold or... meh.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:30 pm UTC

Mutex wrote:
Soupspoon wrote:

I audibly groaned at this, at work. Nice setup for the pun.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

Himself

Postby Himself » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:29 am UTC

Yablo wrote:
Himself wrote:I found a 1/2 French franc coin in my car in the US. The Franc was discontinued in 2002 in favor of the Euro, while the car is a 2010 model. Neither I nor my father who owned it previously have been to France; at least not in the past 15 years. Could it have somehow circulated among US coins all this time without anyone noticing?

Is your Flux Capacitor working?

Should I get that checked?
-Ratio Tile

Seven
Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix Zero-One

Postby Seven » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:22 am UTC

commodorejohn wrote:It was planted there as a cryptic clue by a field agent for a shadowy organization opposing the world-conquering aims of another, shadowier organization, in a desperate attempt to draw you into a web of conspiracy, a life on the run, and maybe, just maybe, the love of a lifetime.

So, ah, where exactly in the car was this coin found???

freezeblade wrote:
Mutex wrote:
Soupspoon wrote:

I audibly groaned at this, at work. Nice setup for the pun.
Same. Geeze.

Ginger

Postby Ginger » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:51 pm UTC

Okay, okay: What if? Jesus was... a discontinue Frenchman, not Jewish or Middle Eastern, and... he put the discontinued Franc in the man's car?

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:27 pm UTC

Ginger wrote:Okay, okay: What if? Jesus was... a discontinue Frenchman, not Jewish or Middle Eastern, and... he put the discontinued Franc in the man's car?

We're getting into "Holy Blood, Holy Grail" territory here, including Merovingians and Rennes les Chateau.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:44 pm UTC

Nono, He Himself clearly says:
Neither I nor My Father have been to France

Yablo

Postby Yablo » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:04 pm UTC

Neither he nor his father, sure, but he cleverly leaves out the travel status of the car itself. Was it ever out of sight long enough to make the round-trip? There could be an '80s-style Disney movie plot in there somewhere.
If you like Call of Cthulhu and modern government conspiracy, check out my Delta Green thread.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:37 pm UTC

The Father, The Son and the Holy Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost..?

DavidSh

Postby DavidSh » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:52 am UTC

To get from the US to any part of France, it would either have to drive on water, or travel as freight. (There is not a continuous road from the US to French Guiana, and no car ferry to St. Pierre & Miquelon from anywhere.)

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:18 am UTC

I think a better line of inquiry would be: have either of you ever had any passengers who might have had reason to be in possession of such a coin?
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:20 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:I think a better line of inquiry would be: have either of you ever had any passengers who might have had reason to be in possession of such a coin?
Now that's just crazy thinking! :)

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

Yablo

Postby Yablo » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:41 am UTC

DavidSh wrote:To get from the US to any part of France, it would either have to drive on water, or travel as freight. (There is not a continuous road from the US to French Guiana, and no car ferry to St. Pierre & Miquelon from anywhere.)

True, but if he's got his Flux Capacitor working, all he'd need would be a Mr. Fusion.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:41 am UTC

The flying circuits are unrelated to the flux capacitor (other than both being powered by Mr. Fusion).

Or are you suggesting that he somehow use time travel to circumvent the distance barriers? Like going back in time to when there wasn't an ocean between (what would become) America and France, and then driving there, and then going back to the future? Because I think that would pose even more problems.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

svenman

Postby svenman » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:22 am UTC

For many years, I used to carry a discontinued German coin in my wallet because it was useful for shopping carts. Didn't take that along on transatlantic trips, though.
Mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may be useful.

Addams didn't die! But will Addams have a place to live? You can help!

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:36 pm UTC

svenman wrote:For many years, I used to carry a discontinued German coin in my wallet because it was useful for shopping carts.
In what way? Enquiring minds need to know!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:17 pm UTC

(Serious answer, assuming you haven't seen this) Because there are shopping carts that require a coin to unlock the chain attaching it to the next trolley in, in a docked stack, or the wall-chain to which such a docked stack is ultimately tethered, to prevent casual abandonment. The coin is returned upon replugging into the chain, meaning that it acts as a 'take with you' deposit. You could use tools to prise it back out (though the recepticle is designed to very tough) or take-and-abandon a whole lot of trolleys and recover the coin from all but one of them by creating your own chained-stack, or even just accept that for the cost of £1 (as it typically is over here) for a trolley that you have 'bought' for your own beyond-the-supermarket purposes is worth it, with the option of returning it whenever you want if you didn't just chuck it in a canal or abandon it in the middle of nowhere.

But, really, it's just a discourager of casually wandering off beyond the bounds of the supermarket car-park without some intention of bringing it straight back. You can't even pinch the coins from trolleys, because it's yours. If you take the trolleys back that somebody else has abandoned to recover their unconsidered coin, then the supermarket has had the trolley returned, and that could be considered a finder's fee.

There are even charities who sell a coin-sized piece of metal (branded to their charity) in an key-ring holder or somesuch, that you can use in the stead of the coin. You can't accidentally spend it, so it's always with you when you suddenly realise you need something to unlock a trolley, and you get it back when you're finished with it if you resist passing it on to someone with two 50p coins and a plaintiff look, who would swap their £1 total cash for your supposed £1-worth of cart. Has the same sort of usefulness, otherwise, as buying a charity wristband, only slightly less outwardly visible for the charity-kudos.

Though I've noted that these things have largely dissappeared from UK supermarkets, these days, in favour of depositless trolleys like they used to be (give or take any tricks they have hidden in their wheels, like some seem to have). That's even before the recent change of the £1 coin to the newer bimetal 12-sided version (which is still needed to, operate "trolley box" doors in a couple of places, where a fully loaded trolley can be stored temporatily whilst you go off into the cafe/wait for the family member with the car to turn up/whatever, and required Customer Services to keep a float of the old coin to be used - swapping for a new coin, at the human end of the equation) so hasn't required mass.mechanical conversion. I don't know if that's because they never really worked enough to prevent the determined trolley-thief or just because it was never simple enough for the honest public to get used to.

(Silly answer) it's why you get loads of drunken shopping carts. They ask for coins, they buy some high-strength 'foreign' lager with them and then end up annoying everyone, getting in their way, sitting in doorways and begging for more.

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:49 pm UTC

Thanks - I didn't know that. Over here, shopping carts are free and untethered, but airport "smart carts" are rented for about $5, which you do not get back. Occasionally you can find stray "smart carts" you can use for free, but the one time I needed one, I had to pay full price.

Jose

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:47 pm UTC

Interesting. Here they have a device on one of the "trolley" (carts here) wheels which lock in place once they are taken beyond the confines of the parking lot (there's typically a yellow line denoting the "do not pass" zone). If you pass the cart over the boundaries of the parking lot, the wheel will lock and the cart will be stopped dead.

I kind of wonder if this system was put in place instead of the coin-op system because the difference in coin denominations in common circulation here. You rarely see any coin with a denomination larger than a $0.25 piece, which is likely too small of an amount for an acceptable deposit to keep people from taking the carts.

By the end of business day you'll see a graveyard of carts which are rendered immovable just outside the painted line, which I assume is a pain in the arse for whatever employee has to deal with it.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

Yablo

Postby Yablo » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:23 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:The flying circuits are unrelated to the flux capacitor (other than both being powered by Mr. Fusion).

Or are you suggesting that he somehow use time travel to circumvent the distance barriers? Like going back in time to when there wasn't an ocean between (what would become) America and France, and then driving there, and then going back to the future? Because I think that would pose even more problems.

The flux capacitor is necessary to explain the presence of a coin discontinued in 2002 in a car manufactured in 2010. Time travel is the only way to get that coin from the past to the present.

svenman

Postby svenman » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:49 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
svenman wrote:For many years, I used to carry a discontinued German coin in my wallet because it was useful for shopping carts.
In what way? Enquiring minds need to know!

Jose

Soupspoon already explained the principle really well (thanks). The same method continues to be in widespread use in Germany, where I live. Sorry for assuming that it would be universally used around the world and no background explanation would be required.

Until the 1990s, 1 DEM coins were commonly used for that purpose in Germany. In preparation for the changeover to Euro currency in 2002, those locking mechanism on the carts were modified so that they would accept both old DEM and new Euro coins, and in my experience it continued to work this way well into the 2010s (even on shopping carts newer than 2002, because their locking mechanisms were still produced from the same generation of moulds that the entire industry had introduced in the years leading up to 2002). I had somehow managed to retain that single 1 DEM coin, which remained in my wallet reliably now that it no longer was legal tender and therefore at risk of being spent.

Yablo wrote:The flux capacitor is necessary to explain the presence of a coin discontinued in 2002 in a car manufactured in 2010. Time travel is the only way to get that coin from the past to the present.

That, however, is quite readily achieved with the one kind of time travel that does not require a flux capacitor, or any kind of particular device at all.
Mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may be useful.

Addams didn't die! But will Addams have a place to live? You can help!

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

ThirdParty

Postby ThirdParty » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:34 pm UTC

I've seen the kind of shopping carts you're describing, here in the US. Except here they take quarters (25¢-pieces) rather than euros.

... But I've only seen them at Aldi, which I think is a German supermarket chain trying to expand to the US. (Or rather, one that has succeeded in expanding to the US: I've seen it in two or three completely different parts of the country.) Maybe they just haven't quite figured out how weird their shopping cart deposits feel to Americans.

(My local Aldi recently reversed its "no credit cards" policy, which was another thing that felt foreign about it. Whoever heard of a store that didn't accept credit cards? Anyway, if they just get rid of the shopping cart deposits, and start giving out free grocery bags with people's purchases, they'll probably be able to start passing for a normal 'Merican chain.)

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:17 pm UTC

The trend in Europe (or at least in the UK, for what that's worth, but I suspect it's a policy development on the mainland continent too) is to start charging for (plastic) bags, to reduce one-use-then-discard-any-old-how practices.

(I have at least one bag-for-life for each different supermarket chain I deliberately visit more than twice a month, which I try not to cross-brand lest they each discover I may have been having a relationship with one or more of the others. And I still have loads of single-use bags that I singly-used prior to the charge, then put into (a bag of their own kind in) a cupboard in order to use… somehow… at a later date. Using them as bin liners for small bins doesn't even use/waste them enough, 'cos I only rarely bin things so messy that I need to tie up that mini-bin-bag and throw it away (as opposed to dumping only the contents into the main bin) or damage it. So I fully expect my personal hoarded supply to outlast the holocene.)

Return to “General”