Making the world a weirder place

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

TaintedDeity

Re: Making the world a weirder place

Postby TaintedDeity » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:31 am UTC

-.Mateo.- wrote:The more I read, the more I start thinking in the "style" of the author. Of course, with novels this means narrating. Once, I was talking to a friend and a "he said" slipped...luckily I managed to turn it into a cough (it was something like "hello, he soaugh")
I do this also.
Reading Shakespeare really affects my speech and after finishing a mammoth session of the Vampire Chronicles my speech and writing were all flowery and wordy. It gets silly.
Ⓞⓞ◯

jerome_bc

Postby jerome_bc » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:52 am UTC

1. Get a couple of friends and cook really disgusting looking food.
2. Put food in bright orange bags marked with a big biohazard symbol.
3. Walk into the cafeteria at lunch time wearing full lab outfit carrying the bags with tongs.
4. Put bags in the microwaves. Choose microwaves that are already in use for maximum effect.
5. Enjoy your meal.
6. For bonus points drink bright liquids from beakers.*

Did that in senior year of high school. I then spent the rest of the day in lab outfit sipping bright green juice from a beaker.

*Drinking from used beakers is a bad bad idea, no matter how well you think you've cleaned them. The chem lab technician lent us brand new beakers to pull this one, plus the lab goggles and tongs. The bio lab technician gave us the bags. Our techies were super awesome. Then again my two friends were on their good side since they had repaired a 300$ micropipet the week before, and refused to keep it when the technician offered (since they would have thrown it away if not for them).

Ephemeron

Postby Ephemeron » Fri May 21, 2010 12:19 am UTC

Last week in my school, people were leaving up post-it notes saying "class 2010" written on them, as some half-hearted form of graffiti (yes, real graffiti was not allowed). But I had some fun with the post-its, modifying them with a ballpoint pen to say "class 2048". Now it looked like time travellers visited the school.

Yesterday I also wrote this on a whiteboard in a science classroom:
Spoiler:
Nuclear Fusion - The Easy Way
H+ + e- → He

By the way I don't know if that joke has already been thought of by someone else.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Fri May 21, 2010 12:32 am UTC

I am in the process of drawing a 9x9 sierpinski carpet on the whiteboard in the Post 16 study room.
The cleaners kept rubbing it off every time I started but I think they've got the message after a week of me restarting everyday because it's about half way at the moment.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Fri May 21, 2010 7:21 am UTC

Ephemeron wrote:Last week in my school, people were leaving up post-it notes saying "class 2010" written on them, as some half-hearted form of graffiti (yes, real graffiti was not allowed). But I had some fun with the post-its, modifying them with a ballpoint pen to say "class 2048". Now it looked like time travellers visited the school.

Yesterday I also wrote this on a whiteboard in a science classroom:
Spoiler:
Nuclear Fusion - The Easy Way
H+ + e- → He

By the way I don't know if that joke has already been thought of by someone else.

I'm probably gonna have to do a nuclear equation in my exam this afternoon, that spoiler made me whimper.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

Ephemeron

Postby Ephemeron » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:59 pm UTC

If you liked the first one, here are some more for you:

Spoiler:

C + n → Cn
(See, making copernicium isn't that hard)

S+ + e- → Se

Cs + O → Os + C

Cu + Al → Au + Cl
(FINALLY a way of making gold. We're rich!)

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:19 pm UTC

Ephemeron wrote:Cu + Al → Au + Cl
[/size](FINALLY a way of making gold. We're rich!)

That one doesn't even work mathematically though.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Sid Beretta

Postby Sid Beretta » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:01 am UTC

Kizor wrote:scaling a building using network cables

The urban kids have anchored a basketball hoop outside my apartment by tying it to a door knob using phone cord, does that count?

blopa

Postby blopa » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:48 pm UTC

Perhaps we hold different definitions of the term 'weird.'

To me is what my in-laws think about me because what I love is read about computer stuff (all day long if I could) and according to them, I spend to much time with my computer. What they don't seem to understand is that I hate my job and want to work at home doing things I really love to do, is that wrong?
Comments welcome.

Odd_nonposter

Postby Odd_nonposter » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:42 am UTC

Random, yes. Interesting, probably not.

Keep in mind that this is at a school where cameras point everywhere, a strict dress code is enforced, and teachers are all too happy to assign detention. Kids being weird are quite rare.

9th grade: Two other guys and I would burst into Bohemian Rhapsody in quiet periods in class and in hallways. The bio teacher even reported us to the choir director once, as there was a need for male singers at the time. The novelty wore off after a while though.

Whenever a car full of people passes somebody that all passengers know on the sidewalk, it is customary to honk and wave in the opposite direction.

Physics gets extra-special permission to be weird. That class has a lot of outdoor labs and labs that involve exploring/observing things in the school building, so being weird is tolerated.

One time we were allowed to take sound readings in different rooms to measure how well a room absorbed sound. A couple of us would waltz into a classroom, nothing said, take a reading, and leave. A few teachers asked, "What are those things?" to which we replied, "Geiger counters. Carry on," followed by some whispered remarks like, "Hmm... hey $name, is it supposed to read that high?" "Uhh... no. We better tell [physics teacher] about that one, quick," after which we left hurriedly. This was quite fun to do to freshmen that didn't know any better. :wink:

Another: we got to do some experiments with prisms, polarized filters, lenses, and the like outside. To get outside, we need to walk past half of the classrooms. Classes that keep their doors open. Physics easily being the most eccentric group of them all, we each taped these optical instruments to pairs of chemistry goggles and proceeded to stagger our way across the length of the school. We got some strange looks, to say the least.
CorruptUser wrote:Religions are like genitalia. It's OK to have them, but don't whip them out in public, don't argue about whose is better, and keep them away from my kids.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:00 am UTC

I miss physics lessons...
A labcoat and interesting looking physics equipment are all you need to have fun anywhere.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Roberthree

Postby Roberthree » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:36 pm UTC

I skipped reading a lot of this thread but I'm going to post anyway.

I LOVE making the world a weirder place. I wore a trench coat as my winter jacket all of last year. On sunny days I would also wear sunglasses. A guy in a trench coat wearing kickass shades walking down the road gets alot of double takes for some reason, I don't see why they went out of style though. They keep your waist and legs much warmer than just a jacket.

I remember the day I got the sunglasses too. My brother and I both bought sunglasses in a buy two get one free sale. My brother is one of those punk rock types and at the time he had a beard and was wearing a black hoodie that said "CULT". We looked like we were up to no good, so we hung out outside the area set up for little kids to play in.

I also started playing "the floor is lava" at school with one of my friends. Then we'd point out when people who were not playing had lost. The same friend and I would talk to people about raptor attacks and how they should prepare for the zombie apocalypse. Passionately, we did not use a joking tone at all. Also, slow motion fights. We would randomly just start swinging at each other and have hyper exaggerated movements while moving as slowly as we could.

I'm sure we're all familiar with people and their tendency to sit in groups and talk. I LOVE to just join a group that is the middle of something and act like I'd been there the whole time. People tend to not respond well to it, but the times it works out outweigh the mishaps.

I still touch the wall with my hand when I walk down a hallway. I like to flick the little price tags that stick out in grocery store aisles as well. Also, I reorder the product sometimes. Nothing that will make anyone's job harder, but lets say there were two rows of boxes. One row has 4 and one has 6, I will make both rows have 5 and push them to the front of the shelf.

videogamesizzle

Postby videogamesizzle » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:47 am UTC

This was a while ago, but I think it still counts.

Two of my friends were trying to think of a way to... well, make the world a weirder place, and their minds went directly to Sparta kicking. After they had built up some excitement and enlisted me as a camera operator, they set a date and got ready to pull it off. Of course, the date they picked started off with a nice lockdown and at least two students being arrested for having guns, but it didn't stop them.

The time came, during lunch. There was increased administrator presence, so we weren't sure when we could do it. Finally, all authority figures had left the room, and then it happened.

All in all, an awesome day. Also, they got free cookies for it.
Look at me still talking when there's SCIENCE to do!
Silvyr wrote:I fucking love cocaine. I wish I could buy it somewhere...

velvet_octopus

Postby velvet_octopus » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:45 am UTC

This last summer, I was working a physics research job on my college campus. During Minnesota Private College Week that summer, when the campus was crawling with prospie tours, I got the other students (5 of us total) to agree to wear costumes to work one day. Two of the guys were learning how to use a magnetometer that week, which looks like a backpack with a 3 foot pole sticking out the top among other gizmo-type things. So they were out in costume taking measurements (I remember one was in a clown suit a few sizes too small, which showed his ample chest hair). When asked, they said they were searching for aliens.
<≤≥><≤≥><≤≥><≤≥><≤≥><≤≥><≤≥><≤≥><≤≥><≤≥><≤≥><≤≥><≤≥><≤≥><≤≥><≤≥><≤≥><≤≥><≤≥><≤≥><≤≥><≤≥><≤≥><≤≥>

beyondweird

Postby beyondweird » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:39 pm UTC

Apparently, I often manage to do this without realising. Notably, having a 5ft rainbow haired girl often described as a 'pixie' walking down a street (me!) with a 6ft blue-haired boy who looks like an anime character, an average height girl who squees at ultrasonic pitches, and a Jesus-lookalike in hippy shirt, jeans and sandals, all singing various harmonies whilst walking down the street seems to get interesting looks.
Or perhaps having me and 5 others punting down a river singing a round of an S&M based song - "I like the handcuffs, I like the whips and chains, I like the leather, sadomasochism reigns, come on and punish me, lead me into bed singing I love you, I love you, I love you I love you [repeat till you get bored]". We had 6 parts going at one point I believe.

But my favourite story of making the world weirder isn't actually from me, but from another group. At my college, me and my friends liked under some stairs, and where therefore known as the UTS (UnderTheStairs) kids. We had a shelf and we kept stuff on there, and for some reason there was a can of spam.
One day, the can of spam went missing.
In it's place, was a note, that simply read...
"Dear UTS, we are the English Ghosts. We have your spam. Please give us one ham sandwich on the middle bench in the quad at 12 noon, and we will give you back your spam."
So, we set up watch. We had two boys playing Frisbee in the quad, me and another girl on lookout from a large window on the stairs, phones at the ready. Other members at various doors/benches in small groups.
It's five to 12. My philosophy teacher is talking to me and my friend, but we are distracted by a boy walking down the stairs behind us.
He is wearing a brown trenchcoat, sunglasses, and a widebrimmed hat. We are suspicious, and message the others.
He walks towards the ham sandwich, picks it up, drops the spam, breaks into a run.
A chase ensues. We get the hat, and trenchcoat, but he outruns us, and we never see his face!

Two days later, we're on the field, a random boy picks me up shouting "And now the English Ghosts are kidnapping one of your members".

I aim to be that awesome one day.
Everybody has a secret world inside of them...No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:23 pm UTC

I got hella confused walking in to my first Les Mis rehearsal this year and hearing "We like the mountains, we like the rolling hill, we like the flowers, we like the daffodils, we like the fireside when the lights are low singing a doo-wap a doo-wap"
I think yours would have been more confusing.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

pirate-apocalypse

Postby pirate-apocalypse » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:28 pm UTC

I'm a pastafarian so I enjoy spreading the word of the fsm, I started doing this when a jewish girl (about 10 years old) asked me about my religion. Now I tell pretty much everybody I meet.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:57 am UTC

Whelan wrote:I got hella confused walking in to my first Les Mis rehearsal this year and hearing "We like the mountains, we like the rolling hill, we like the flowers, we like the daffodils, we like the fireside when the lights are low singing a doo-wap a doo-wap"
I think yours would have been more confusing.

I read that, and in my head I keep adding "boom de yada, boom de yada".
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

emceng

Postby emceng » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:47 pm UTC

Dress up in a chef's coat and hat, then go into a fast food restaurant and ask patrons if they are enjoying their meal.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Yarn

Postby Yarn » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:51 pm UTC

I once covered my desk in elementary school with orange paper. I can't remember where I got it but it was my first act of weirdness. Unfortunately the janitors cleaned it of the next day (First thing I ever saw them clean, the bastards), it made me sad.
*cough*

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:10 pm UTC

emceng wrote:Dress up in a chef's coat and hat, then go into a fast food restaurant and ask patrons if they are enjoying their meal.
That is glorious.
Ⓞⓞ◯

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:50 am UTC

emceng wrote:Dress up in a chef's coat and hat, then go into a fast food restaurant and ask patrons if they are enjoying their meal.

Reminds me of an Australian show, The Chaser's War on Everything. In one episode, Chris Taylor dressed up as a waiter with one of those long pepper mills and offerred people cracked pepper - at fast food restaurants, on their home-made sandwich they were eating in the park, and in one extreme case, on a man's newspaper that he was reading on the train.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:28 am UTC

beyondweird wrote:words
You may be one of the most awesome people ever.

My brother came down to visit for a few weeks. We have the most bizarre conversations whenever we're out walking. In one case he simply spent ~10 minutes saying "blah" with the occasional random phrase thrown in. Blah blah blah blah raptors, blah blah blah blah, blah blah blah Abraham Lincoln blah blah, blah blah blah trapeze... we also spent quite some time discussing how to survive the zombie apocalypse. Never a hint of jest in our voices.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

Tiem

Postby Tiem » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:35 am UTC

When I go to restaurants, I sketch elaborate doodles on napkins and leave them there for waiters, and sculpt my bread into animals and whatnot, and make towers and buildings out of jelly and butter packets.

If I think of anything else, I'll post later.
Last edited by Tiem on Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:27 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
To do list:

-kidnap Randall
-take his hands
-hire Eames from Inception
-make nachos

Vohu Manah
athlete's nipple.

Postby Vohu Manah » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:52 am UTC

Tiem wrote:When I go to restaurants, I sketch elaborate doodles on napkins and leave them there for waiters, and sculpt my bread into animals and whatnot, and make towers and buildings out of jelly and butter packets.

This. Napkin Origami holds a very special place in my heart.
Isaac Hill wrote:If this tetonic plate's rockin' such that it registers no less than 6.1 on the Richter scale, don't come a knockin'.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:31 am UTC

When I have headphones on, I'll sometimes take out the jack, stick it in a random thing, then pretend like I'm listening to it. My friend had an banana for lunch once, and it sounded like speed metal. :P

Vohu Manah wrote:
Tiem wrote:When I go to restaurants, I sketch elaborate doodles on napkins and leave them there for waiters, and sculpt my bread into animals and whatnot, and make towers and buildings out of jelly and butter packets.

This. Napkin Origami holds a very special place in my heart.
Whenever I end up with random pieces of paper (or Starburst wrappers, which work quite well), I usually end up doing Origami then giving it to a random person. It's usually a crane or a shuriken, but I've been branching out lately.

Slavaa
Location: A certain Island, named after a certain Prince Edward

Postby Slavaa » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:18 am UTC

I have a pair of red-and-green 3D glasses that I got for the sole purpose of telling people (usually in these exact words) that I bought them "for the sole purpose of looking eccentric." Occasionally I actually wear them.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:13 pm UTC

Re: OP: I play and moderate a local campus Humans Vs. Zombies. I've been making the world a weirder place for at least two semesters now. A world in which a pack of commandos with bandannas and Nerf guns may run through at any moment.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Tiem

Postby Tiem » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:04 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:Re: OP: I play and moderate a local campus Humans Vs. Zombies

...You are my new hero. Where is this wonderful event? :o
To do list:

-kidnap Randall
-take his hands
-hire Eames from Inception
-make nachos

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:18 pm UTC

http://humansvszombies.org/

You can search for any organizations closest to you. The whole thing started around 2005? 06? at Goucher College and has since spread to campuses all over the world (though primarily in the US). Each game is usually somewhere between 4-14 days, and during the game itself, it's 24/7. No human is safe from the infection. Your only defense is Nerf guns or sock grenades. Zombies can be cunning beyond the dreams of mad scientists.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

tes

Postby tes » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:05 pm UTC

... I want to play this so bad.
Looks like Humans vs. Zombies hasn't started yet around here, but maybe it will have by the time I go to uni.

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:11 pm UTC

tes wrote:... I want to play this so bad.

Me too. But it seems impossible to organise this in Belgium since we don't really have campuses and people go home during weekends.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

stevey_frac

Postby stevey_frac » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:24 pm UTC

I do my part.

In one fairly recent example, I kept insisting to a patron at a local shawarma shop, that in my culture mashed potatoes and chives is considered a spicy food, and that by comparison, the garlic sauce used by that particular establishment was ridiculously spicy by my standards. It's funnier when you realize that everyone was uncomfortable by my presence, mostly because I was white, and didn't speak whatever language they spoke as a first language.

Another example, I was designing a microprocessor. My partner and I sat down to detail the contents of our instruction set and we managed to include a NOOB instruction. It was basically a NOP, or No Operation, however, we labelled it No Observable effect, and got to call it the NOOB instruction. It was used prodigiously, at the slightest provocation through the rest of the design and testing phase.

Kartoffelkopf

Postby Kartoffelkopf » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:36 am UTC

Dimetrodon wrote:"Zalgo Club" (I'm really proud of the poster I did for this one)

Requesting picture now.

The EGE
not very good at pickup limes

Postby The EGE » Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:10 am UTC

Go to an amusement park with friends. Yell out names, see how long it takes to actually get someone's attention. Also works at conventions, the awkward time before the opening band starts, etc.

This is correctly termed the 'Marquisha Experiment', in honor of a friend who never failed, with any name. Not even Marquisha.
sillybear25 wrote:But it's NPH, so it's creepy in the best possible way.

Shivahn wrote:I'm in your abstractions, burning your notions of masculinity.

sir2you

Postby sir2you » Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:52 am UTC

Can anyone supply me with a Latin phrase that sounds intellectual, but is actually nonsense or inane bullcrap? I would be most obliged. I want to have a phrase like that so I can say it whenever there is a pause in a politics or religious conversation.
„‹•**•›„„‹•*„‹•**•›„„‹•*„‹•* "There are two ways to live your life; as if nothing is *•›„„‹•**•›„*•›„„‹•**•›„*•›„
*•›„*•›„„‹•**•›„*•›„„‹•**•›„ a miracle, or as if everything is a miracle." - Einstein „‹•*„‹•**•›„„‹•*„‹•**•›„„‹•*

Mo0man

Postby Mo0man » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:15 am UTC

V
causa major dormuc vulnero ut ovis goatee
I'm number 20075. Remember that. It's important

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:44 am UTC

I iron dollar bills.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

Sockmonkey

Postby Sockmonkey » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:45 pm UTC

One night when I was 13 or so I swiped some of the landing lights from the local airport just because I wanted to do something interesting. I went all out too. Waited till three in the morning because I'd read an article that many disasters happen at that time because that's when people are the least observant, dressed in black sweats with a black t-shirt over my head for a ninja hood, brought every tool I owned in a dark bag, did that lizard-type army belly crawl to get across the field, and wore rubber gloves so I wouldn't leave fingerprints.

Also if beyondweird is old enough will you marry me?

One more thing. Me or someone else needs to spray paint a message, offensive/strange/funny/subversive/whatever on a large public building in braile pattern so that only sighted people who work with the blind will be able to read it just because they will probably get a kick out of an obvious public message that only they can understand.

The EGE
not very good at pickup limes

Postby The EGE » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:20 am UTC

Sockmonkey, I'm pretty damn sure that's a felony. Unless the airport is no longer active, in which case it's probably theft rather than reckless endangerment. But still just as gorram stupid.
sillybear25 wrote:But it's NPH, so it's creepy in the best possible way.

Shivahn wrote:I'm in your abstractions, burning your notions of masculinity.

Return to “General”