Making the world a weirder place

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Kabann

Re: Making the world a weirder place

Postby Kabann » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:23 am UTC

Project Googly:

I like thinking about the possible side-effects if this snowballs to massive proportions. Someone at the People's Plastic Decorations and Adornments Factory, HK LLC. Co. joint will no doubt rush into a staff meeting to announce "Worldwide sales of assorted googly-eyes have inexplicably risen 900%! The prophecy has been fulfilled!"

Edit: Take that, a billion monkeys on a billion typewriters.
My goal in life is to have money, power, fame, wisdom, and love.
So far, I've got a sense of humor.
It's a good start.

Nomic

Postby Nomic » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:33 am UTC

Before highschool when we didn't have to buy our own books, I used to draw stuff on the marginals. Usually little metroids and raptors or just random doodles, sometimes little comics. My English books especially tanded to have little comics dealing with the chapter's subject, starring a cartoon dinosaur. And one of my math book had some exercises that had something to do with dinosaurs but had gotten the facts wrong (and had a very inaccurate looking picture), so I wrote corrections to the errors and drew a more accurate picture.
If somebody tries to convert me to some religion, I might start trying to convert them to worship eighter Lovecraft's Great Old Ones, the Chaos Gods or the Burning Legion. I'm thinking about printing a bunch of fliers and handing them to whoever tries to hand me religious pamflets.
I also tend to threathen annoing people with "Raining legiontastic Doom upon them"

Savoy_Truffle

Postby Savoy_Truffle » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:31 pm UTC

My favorite drinking game involves taking sips of a certain bottled beverage with at least one other person, blowing across the top, and trying to figure out the musical intervals. It's cool because it naturally gets harder as you go along :lol:
Lux, Calida, Gravis que Pura velut aurum et canunt angeli moliter modo natum.

Actaeus

Postby Actaeus » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:41 pm UTC

When I walk to and from school, I cross a large field. In winter it's covered in snow and I often draw giant gliders with my footprints off to the side of my path. I leave this glider-derived symbol everywhere I can:
gliderline.PNG
gliderline.PNG (350 Bytes) Viewed 4135 times

With or without the shading. I factor the time and leave factor trees in the margins of half my school assignments, and I have a graph/lined/looseleaf paper notebook full of distilled weird:
notebookcover.JPG
notebookcover.JPG (55.16 KiB) Viewed 4132 times

notebook.JPG
notebook.JPG (64.55 KiB) Viewed 4132 times

It also contains dozenal math, hyper operators, sketches of hypercubes, ways to encode ASCII in a bent line, Conway's Game of Life, everything to do with the golden ratio, various fractals, etc., etc. But my digital camera's broken.

I don't usually bring the fish to school.

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:29 am UTC

Mo0man wrote:Ookay, I was inspired by erm... *someone's* book of wisdom idea, and *someone else's* traveling book idea to create a crazy traveling book of wisdom! Unfortunately, though I was inspired, I haven't quite gotten around to it yet. So, before I go out and actually do it, I was wondering if you had any advice before I went out and did it.
Tying it down is no good though, then it can't travel. :-/
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:32 am UTC

'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:Tying it down is no good though, then it can't travel. :-/

How about attaching it to some kind of remote control blimp? Then it can travel!
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

MrHackman

Postby MrHackman » Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:35 am UTC

sleepygamer wrote:
'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:Tying it down is no good though, then it can't travel. :-/

How about attaching it to some kind of remote control blimp? Then it can travel!

I have no idea why, but that sentence just made my night.
(I mean, it's a great sentence and all, I'm sure it will go down in literary history. My brain just happened to find it really amazing, but if i stop to think about it. It's not really as amazing as my brain thinks it is. Did that make sense?)
If four times five is twelve, and four times six is thirteen, and four times seven is fourteen, what base is next? And more importantly, who is doing the calculation? :)

koneko

Postby koneko » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:31 am UTC

I've planted the following photo semi-inconspicuously pending my roomie's christian singles party. Many thanks to Z.A.K.

Last edited by koneko on Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:59 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

kjsharke

Postby kjsharke » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:09 am UTC

sleepygamer wrote:

Once upon a time, I was in Spain, and I happened upon a stationary story of such stuff dreams are made (of). Thereafter, it became my ambition to purchase a particularly auspicious notebook for a certain purpose: I hoped to circulate said notebook among my friends and acquaintances briefly, laying down my designs concerning the notebook, as well as a passable base of content. I would then leave the notebook somewhere that it would be found, such as a hostel or a school. He, or she, whom found the notebook would then be instructed (in multiple languages on the first page) to add those drawings/stories/designs/equations/et cetera they felt inclined to add, and subsequently to carry the notebook with them briefly, and to leave it at another likely spot. In order that I may keep accord of its journeys, I could have a website on the back of the notebook. Perhaps, by this strategy, I might even have it return to me. Otherwise, it might simply circulate among hostels and entertain travellers. This idea, provided that it has not already done so, might then become popular, and its joys would be multiplied and dispersed for all.

Perhaps you could leave such a notebook at your school as a way for each of us to catch a glimpse of the humanity residing in us all.

Sarcastic tone notwithstanding, I think that'd be sweet (and the story is basically true).

Delalyra

Postby Delalyra » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:38 pm UTC

koneko wrote:I've planted the following photo semi-inconspicuously pending my roomie's christian singles party. Many thanks to Z.A.K.

error. :(
you may remember me from 2008 or 2009. I left for a while. I'm now sporadically back. I tumble here.

Actaeus

Postby Actaeus » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:18 pm UTC

Here you go:
Attachments
20357596378100hl5.jpg
20357596378100hl5.jpg (19.7 KiB) Viewed 3881 times

Delalyra

Postby Delalyra » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:31 pm UTC

Ahahahahaha. I see it now. XD
you may remember me from 2008 or 2009. I left for a while. I'm now sporadically back. I tumble here.

Actaeus

Postby Actaeus » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:17 pm UTC

Today's theWAREHOUSE seems relevant to this thread.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:51 am UTC

I've Post-it™ noted my office toilet hand dryers with the same message as below.

But after 3 days, people got bored because they had already seen it over and over, so I started replacing the Post-it™ notes with cryptic, surreal, or just plain silly messages. (Also, they do not know it is me, and I am a dab hand at acting as surprised as everybody else)

"I am watching you pee"
"Every time you press this button, a man on the other side of the world gets hit with a comically oversized mallet"
"The sound of this machine hides the screaming of lost souls"
"Your co-workers are ransacking your desk as you read this. We know about your stash of Sweet 'n' Low*"
"Before this machine was installed, we hired a guy who could blow really hard"
"Press me! And do not dry of natural causes"

*This worried some colleagues, as several do, quite expectedly, have drawers packed with cafe sweeteners.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:36 am UTC

As I read I tend to select the block of text that my eyes are traveling over. Doing this while reading Felstaves sig' makes a neat falling down hill effect. (I don't know if that is the best way to describe it, but that is the the best I can think of right now.)

koneko

Postby koneko » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:57 am UTC

update on the raptor pic: roomie came across the pic while frantically cleaning today, my comment?
"jesus loves dinosaurs too." *shrug*

her response?
"oh... yeah, i guess."

pic is still there.
ImageImage

schmiggen

Postby schmiggen » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:39 am UTC

lol@koneko

Awesomesauce on an awesomesteak
Kabann wrote:Aw hell, as far as I'm concerned the world started in late 1967. Everything else is just semantics and busy-work.

koneko

Postby koneko » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:08 am UTC

pic got moved :'(
ImageImage

schmiggen

Postby schmiggen » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:18 am UTC

maybe it'll come back -- jesus is good at that sort of thing
Kabann wrote:Aw hell, as far as I'm concerned the world started in late 1967. Everything else is just semantics and busy-work.

NMcCoy

Postby NMcCoy » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:24 am UTC

Felstaff wrote:"I am watching you pee"
"Every time you press this button, a man on the other side of the world gets hit with a comically oversized mallet"
"The sound of this machine hides the screaming of lost souls"
"Your co-workers are ransacking your desk as you read this. We know about your stash of Sweet 'n' Low*"
"Before this machine was installed, we hired a guy who could blow really hard"
"Press me! And do not dry of natural causes"

This is officially Awesome.

You win a Silver Spiny Award for outstanding misconduct in the line of duty. Well done, sir. Image

seladore

Postby seladore » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:29 pm UTC

I went though a stage (when I was a hotel room cleaner) of writing Haiku poetry, and leaving them in odd places where guests could find them.

Also (I wish I thought this one up, but it was suggested by a friend) I have, on occasion, put up lost pet posters that say...

LOST PET - PIGEON
GRAY + BLACK
A BIT SHABBY LOOKING
NO NAME
NO REWARD

I don't know why this brings me so much happiness

Luthen

Postby Luthen » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:51 pm UTC

I don't think of myself as that weird, just not normal. The only weird things I do regularly are that as I'm walking along my hands unconsciously "dance" to the music that's in my head/I'm humming (I have no iPod) and that my thoughts are very tangential and cryptic so half the time my replies are met with blank stares for 10 seconds until someone goes "I get it".

As for the shoeless stuff, my best friend does that and received his 99.90% end of high school certificate (at a formal occasion, I was wearing a tie with ducks on it), in a t-shirt, shorts, sandals and a half-grown beard. I generally play straight man to his antics.

Best weirdness I can think of at the moment:
A couple of years ago some friends and I went into the city, bought some $2 plastic swords from The Reject Shop and proceeded for the rest of the night to be either in a bout or carrying our swords in a awesome way. I had mine Blade style down my back which was very uncomfortable but a quick draw. Unfortunately they all broke by the end of the night.

Plans for the future:
I've set my eyes on getting a python for my next birthday, and now plan to take it to uni one day and have it in my bag, just to freak people out.

Also I am a member of the Uni Pirate's Club, Cosmic Hitchhikers, Sci-fi and others which I can't remember, so that allows for the venting of much weirdness.

The books of wisdom sound like a great idea, I shall try to start some down-under.
My fancy new blog Image I am not a vampire! Image PM my location for a prize!*

rnew: ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOAVATAR!
*Terms + conditions changeable

olcaddy

Postby olcaddy » Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:27 am UTC

NMcCoy wrote:Was browsing the craft store, saw a pack of googly eyes, and was inspired.

My new mission is to go around rendering random inanimate objects amusingly/disturbingly anthropomorphic by adding eyes to them. I may post pictures once I've done some.

Well I thought I was being original then read this thread and now know other share my appreciation for random harmless vadalism. I got self adhesive googly eyes that will not damage the surface when removed. My first public event with evidence is here.

Once I get a hold of some Orange spray paint I will create another bit of random comical vandalism. The set up is my school has lots of underground tunnels and by a new building there is a line spray painted with an arrow describing it as "Tunnel Edge" and just begging to be changed to "Secret Tunnel Edge" or maybe "Secret Tunnel Edge. Shhhhhh"

benjhuey

Postby benjhuey » Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:31 am UTC

My friends and I went downtown a few days ago and marched everywhere in a single-file line. We would randomly enter buildings and weave between tables and such before leaving soon after.

More of a direct approach...
多么现在棕色母牛?

Actaeus

Postby Actaeus » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:02 pm UTC

schmiggen wrote:Count me in on the googly-eyes thing, if I can find a pack of eyes.

Also, I didn't know if this counted as "weird," but I've always done it vaguely thinking i was making the world a... happier? place. I like to leave pennies heads-up lying in (mostly random) places where people are likely to find them, but where it doesn't necessarily look like they were left intentionally. People love to find pennies heads-up; they think it's lucky. Am I just feeding superstition? (Do I care? :P)

I've been planning to spread gold-painted quarters around my school. My favorite idea so far is to feed a bunch into a vending machine and push the coin return so I get refunded and some fool gets a gold coin as change.
I've also thought of slipping them into lockers through the vent-things, dropping them in backpacks etc.
I've heard that touch-up paint for cars or fingernail polish would work well. Any other suggestions?

@trophy

Postby @trophy » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:27 pm UTC

I've always been partial to the "ordinary object with unusual presentation" approach. "Object" here includes people. Think Patch Adams where they said hello to people by hanging upside down from a tree branch.

Examples of things that I've done or my friends have done include:

• placing a teacup and saucer on the top of a 10 foot tall library bookshelf
  • placing credit card applications in the traditional african art display in the student union, complete with a card that read "Ancient African Credit Card Applications"
  • standing on the roof of the student union and yelling "CATCH!" and then throwing Frisbees at random students in the crowd who seem to be having a bad day (almost got in a heap of trouble for that one)
  • Drawing cryptic messages in sidewalk chalk downtown. If followed, they became clues which led you to 1984. (the arcade we have downtown)
  • Getting into the tunnels that run under campus, and talking to students through the grates. There's actually a few that we had 10 minute conversations with before they stopped to think "Wait... why is this guy underground right now?" I would recommend this kind of thing for any social interaction... anything you can do to take them off of autopilot will result in a better conversation.
  • We flyered two rows of Escalades at the caddy dealership next to wal-mart with "STOP bed wetting" flyers we picked up at wal-mart.
  • A female friend and I attempted to find the most embarrassing combination of things to buy at 3 am at wal-mart. The winner was condoms, cool whip, tampons, jumper cables, a padlock, a super soaker, 50 feet of nylon rope, a 5 pack of white cotton panties, and a maxim magazine. We maximized the weirdness for the cashier by getting all starry eyed looking at each other as if we were buying supplies for one hell of a night. The next time I went the cashier remembered me, and I started talking to her. We were friends for like two years after that, until she moved away. :(
Insignificant Deification wrote:Because, sometimes, you've gotta have a taste of vulva

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:01 pm UTC

benjhuey wrote:My friends and I went downtown a few days ago and marched everywhere in a single-file line. We would randomly enter buildings and weave between tables and such before leaving soon after.

My friends and I were just talking about how fun it would be to do something like this.

Our idea is to find someone walking around downtown and follow them around single file, while carrying news papers. Anytime they turn to look at us we would stop and lift the papers up like we are reading them. The news papers would have obvious eye holes cut out of them.

benjhuey

Postby benjhuey » Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:36 pm UTC

Azrael001 wrote:
benjhuey wrote:My friends and I went downtown a few days ago and marched everywhere in a single-file line. We would randomly enter buildings and weave between tables and such before leaving soon after.

My friends and I were just talking about how fun it would be to do something like this.

Our idea is to find someone walking around downtown and follow them around single file, while carrying news papers. Anytime they turn to look at us we would stop and lift the papers up like we are reading them. The news papers would have obvious eye holes cut out of them.

Nice.

Another time, we stood on the roadside near our school and would point at cars in the distance (to get their attention) and then violently through up the "peace sign," yelling "peace you!" when they passed. If anyone wasn't paying enough attention, it would have looked like we were all flipping them off.
多么现在棕色母牛?

Actaeus

Postby Actaeus » Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:13 pm UTC

benjhuey wrote:
Azrael001 wrote:

Nice.

Another time, we stood on the roadside near our school and would point at cars in the distance (to get their attention) and then violently through up the "peace sign," yelling "peace you!" when they passed. If anyone wasn't paying enough attention, it would have looked like we were all flipping them off.

An Internet for each of you!

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:34 pm UTC

kjsharke wrote:Once upon a time, I was in Spain, and I happened upon a stationary story of such stuff dreams are made (of). Thereafter, it became my ambition to purchase a particularly auspicious notebook for a certain purpose: I hoped to circulate said notebook among my friends and acquaintances briefly, laying down my designs concerning the notebook, as well as a passable base of content. I would then leave the notebook somewhere that it would be found, such as a hostel or a school. He, or she, whom found the notebook would then be instructed (in multiple languages on the first page) to add those drawings/stories/designs/equations/et cetera they felt inclined to add, and subsequently to carry the notebook with them briefly, and to leave it at another likely spot. In order that I may keep accord of its journeys, I could have a website on the back of the notebook. Perhaps, by this strategy, I might even have it return to me. Otherwise, it might simply circulate among hostels and entertain travellers. This idea, provided that it has not already done so, might then become popular, and its joys would be multiplied and dispersed for all.

Sounds rather like geocaching without the need for a GPS. :D

Side note: At my music college we regularly have little activity days for people (Go Karting, Paintballing... etc.) who pay a reduced fee. Students. :D

Now... the posters that they used to advertise these are just basic Microsoft Publisher docs that have been printed on coloured paper...

What I intend to do is grab a spare one, and copy the layout. Except I'm going to change a few details. Now it'll say something like, "All day orgy and coke party." etc.

Was tempted to set the date for April 1st, but we have time off now, too late. But I'll set these around everywhere, and maybe get the student liaison officer in on the gag. And the we can see how many people come up to her brandishing consent forms and payment for the "Orgy". :D

Ideas?

Actaeus

Postby Actaeus » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:44 pm UTC

I was planning to tape up flyers for "Moose Cycle: the musical", complete with clip art of a moose on a bike and our school's theatre group's logo (stolen from the website), but I decided against it.
I may still do it and put the location as an abandoned warehouse somewhere. I would not leave anything at the warehouse.

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:59 pm UTC

Actaeus wrote:I would not leave anything at the warehouse.

Leave a dictophone with a "play me" post-it on it.

Tape will start with you talking about how you owned them. 30 seconds in, Rick Roll 'em.

Double ownage.

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:04 am UTC

I was also going to suggest the rick roll.

Auzon

Postby Auzon » Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:17 am UTC

Some friends and myself are thinking about re-enacting this prank from Improv Everywhere in my Computer Science class. I'm also thinking about doing it in the Student Union, but that'd involve carrying computers a bit further (in the CompSci building, I have access to a room I can use to stash the computers in).

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:37 am UTC

My wedding is going to have the Jaws theme tune as the bride walks up the aisle.

Then, the vicar/priest/imam or whatever will be all like "let us stand for our first hymn" and it's totally gonna be an organ version of "Never Gonna Give You Up".
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Postby michaelandjimi » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:23 am UTC

I seem to have gone to several costume parties and themed mufti days for school lately.

So that's why the people around where I live have been treated to 80's rock star, Charlie from Willy Wonka, and a bloody dangerous fairy.
Whelan wrote:Relax, have a good time, and hope for the bees ;)

Spoffin

Postby Spoffin » Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:37 pm UTC

seladore wrote:I went though a stage (when I was a hotel room cleaner) of writing Haiku poetry, and leaving them in odd places where guests could find them.

Also (I wish I thought this one up, but it was suggested by a friend) I have, on occasion, put up lost pet posters that say...

LOST PET - PIGEON
GRAY + BLACK
A BIT SHABBY LOOKING
NO NAME
NO REWARD

I don't know why this brings me so much happiness

Hey, I think I've seen him!
The thing to remember about Spoffin is that he's playing by rules no one else understands

JET73L

Postby JET73L » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:04 am UTC

[quote="Szabolcs"]
"..And so the point I was try... O, cute kitten!"

Imagine meeting someone who actually was that absent and you can picture my conversations with people.
[quote]
I do that too! Admiuttedly, it's almost as much becaus cats are totally the most awesome thing on the planet, but I am that absent. Also, I occasionally break off a conversation in mid-sentence to chase after a squirrel, buit that is intentionally to weird people out.

Two things I've wanted to do recently:
the first involves a wooden fish, two hideous matching suits (preferably in one bright ccolor like yellow or lime green), and my cell phone. Maybe some flyers.
I walk through a park or the square at the local university, handing out fliers or saying the "_____s are coming," with an informative (not crazy) voice. My cell phone rings, I check the number, say "oh, no.." pull a wooden fish from my jacket and hand it to the nearest person. I say "hold this a minute, would you?" and bolt. Two people wearing the matching suits walk though asking people (especially whoever I gave the fish to) if they saw someone of my description, possibly with a pet badger. Improv from there onward. Requires four people: person with fliers, person to call the cell phone, and two people to wear the suits.

Also, hiring Ed McMahon and a Rick Astley impersonator to live rickroll Rick Astley himself. Ridiculously impractical, but still.

(PS; I used the chicken nuggets, no pickles, but since it was arbys and I don;t eat chicken nuggets, I ordered a BLT, no pickle no onion. It was just enough out of the orniary tht the cashier didn't notice until the next person was placing their order)
The Summoning of Dragons. Single copy, first edition, slighty foxed and extremely dragoned.
+++OUT OF CHEESE ERROR+++ +++PLEASE REBOOT+++
"I assumed we were walking to the bakery." "You alwaysassume that!"

Mo0man

Postby Mo0man » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:54 am UTC

JET73L wrote:the first involves a wooden fish, two hideous matching suits (preferably in one bright ccolor like yellow or lime green), and my cell phone. Maybe some flyers.
I walk through a park or the square at the local university, handing out fliers or saying the "_____s are coming," with an informative (not crazy) voice. My cell phone rings, I check the number, say "oh, no.." pull a wooden fish from my jacket and hand it to the nearest person. I say "hold this a minute, would you?" and bolt. Two people wearing the matching suits walk though asking people (especially whoever I gave the fish to) if they saw someone of my description, possibly with a pet badger. Improv from there onward. Requires four people: person with fliers, person to call the cell phone, and two people to wear the suits.

Also, hiring Ed McMahon and a Rick Astley impersonator to live rickroll Rick Astley himself. Ridiculously impractical, but still.

so you'd do everything said in the fora in one massive combo? Awesome
causa major dormuc vulnero ut ovis goatee
I'm number 20075. Remember that. It's important

Babam
the Nearly Deleted

Postby Babam » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:36 am UTC

I do tons of things, but changing every PC's screensaver to fake BSOD, and then having Rick Roll play on log on are my favorites.
EDIT
In my school, I left that part out
Last edited by Babam on Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:14 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
crucialityfactor wrote:I KNEW he could club bitches!

SecondTalon wrote:Reality - More fucked up than Photoshop.

s/notwittysig/wittysig

Return to “General”