Making the world a weirder place

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

cyberia

Re: Making the world a weirder place

Postby cyberia » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:24 am UTC

Eruantale wrote:(e.g. the guys in my philosophy class who made pancakes, eggs and bacon during the lecture)

If someone tried to pull that shit during a lecture I was attending I would bitchslap them into next week.

The world is not your own personal open-mic night stage. You are not a beautiful and weird snowflake; you are just an antisocial, 'sperging douche.
The patron saint of self-injury. And the glitter sores will heal themselves.

"Somebody said, 'every moment of your life, of everybody's lives, is an unpremeditated work of art'. That's creativity, that's all I know about creativity."

DaMullet

Postby DaMullet » Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:10 pm UTC

Get over yourself. Just because you're not an antisocial douche doesn't mean everyone else isn't allowed to be one.
Will wrote:Andrew Jackson was all kinds of badass.

SecondTalon wrote:Out in the wasteland
Driving cars of rusted steel
oh, look. Burma Shave.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:HACKS ARE STING OUR SYLLES AND SING THEM TO TERRISTS!

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:46 pm UTC

I'd say it would depend on the lecture and possibly whether they made enough pancakes for everyone.

But seriously, sometimes people need to be snapped out of their routines. If you want to do some sort of stunt, you can and it should be judged on its merits not "don't be an antisocial douche". In any case, if theres any lecture to do such a stunt in it's probably the philosophy one.

... plus if you bitchslapped someone into next week you'd probably get arrested for assault which is a bit past antisocial behaviour. ;)

Personally my contribution to the weirder world is very small and mostly amounts to people getting confused at why I have a towel, on the few occasions that I wear a towel around the city (for example towel day).
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:13 pm UTC

cyberia wrote:
Eruantale wrote:(e.g. the guys in my philosophy class who made pancakes, eggs and bacon during the lecture)

If someone tried to pull that shit during a lecture I was attending I would bitchslap them into next week.

The world is not your own personal open-mic night stage. You are not a beautiful and weird snowflake; you are just an antisocial, 'sperging douche.

dear gods man, at least get the quote right.
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:22 pm UTC

cyberia wrote:

.....where do you think you are, exactly?
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:46 pm UTC

cyberia wrote:

FIX YOUR DAMN QUOTE TAGS.

Also, I'm not giving you any pancakes now. If I'm in a good mood, I'll maybe save you some bacon, but don't get your hopes up.
hermaj wrote:No-one. Will. Be. Taking. Cheese's. Spot.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Cheese is utterly correct on all fronts.
SecondTalon wrote:That thing that Cheese just said. Do that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I hereby disagree and declare Cheese to be brilliant.

cyberia

Postby cyberia » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:33 pm UTC

LE4dGOLEM wrote:
cyberia wrote:

dear gods man, at least get the quote right.
I changed the quote to make it more appropriate for this thread :roll:
The patron saint of self-injury. And the glitter sores will heal themselves.

"Somebody said, 'every moment of your life, of everybody's lives, is an unpremeditated work of art'. That's creativity, that's all I know about creativity."

Eruantale

Postby Eruantale » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:57 pm UTC

Mercat wrote:Haha, how did they pull that off in lecture?

Yes, hotplate... There are outlets on the desks for laptops.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

http://www.yessy.com/ladycarmen

Eruantale

Postby Eruantale » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:07 pm UTC

Toeofdoom wrote:I'd say it would depend on the lecture and possibly whether they made enough pancakes for everyone.

But seriously, sometimes people need to be snapped out of their routines. If you want to do some sort of stunt, you can and it should be judged on its merits not "don't be an antisocial douche". In any case, if theres any lecture to do such a stunt in it's probably the philosophy one.

They brought an extra plate for me, and we found ways to justify the action by both the standards of Mill and Kant, so I think it was appropriate. :)
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

http://www.yessy.com/ladycarmen

Kaiyas

Postby Kaiyas » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:12 am UTC

Nice. Food = win.

My English class is pretty awesome. We don't actually do much, but the class discussions were pretty fun. We spent half a period talking about vomit one day, then another half on bathroom graffiti :lol: .

As to personal contributions, my lab goggles are died red and black.
clintonius wrote:This place is like mental masturbation

Actaeus

Postby Actaeus » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:30 am UTC

Kaiyas wrote:Nice. Food = win.

My English class is pretty awesome. We don't actually do much, but the class discussions were pretty fun. We spent half a period talking about vomit one day, then another half on bathroom graffiti :¡This cheese is burning me!: .

As to personal contributions, my lab goggles are died red and black.

Bathroom graffiti!
My history teacher mentioned that there isn't enough funny graffiti in the staff bathrooms a few days ago, and after a few minutes of class discussion on the topic someone mentioned one of my creations, without knowing I'd done it.
The graffiti was "The center of the Earth is the end of the world". Someone wrote under it "I'm so high just from reading that" (I posted this before, right?)

So I said "Oh yeah! I wrote that. It's from a Green Day song."
Teacher: "...wait, you're saying that was your graffiti?"
"uh, yeah."
(class cracks up. It takes awhile for everyone to stop laughing...)

(yes, I have an awesome history teacher)

benjhuey

Postby benjhuey » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:58 am UTC

Even though it doesn't really carry any weight, I have begun a countdown for Christmas 2010 in my FaceBook status and fully plan on continuing through with it.
多么现在棕色母牛?

DaMullet

Postby DaMullet » Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:16 am UTC

Anyone on Facebook who wants to participate in a weird event, there is an event called "September 17th" which, by dint of great coincidence, is not actually being held that day. RSVP for the event, if you like.

oh, look. Burma Shave.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:HACKS ARE STING OUR SYLLES AND SING THEM TO TERRISTS!

odenskrigare

Postby odenskrigare » Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:23 am UTC

I like to yell "Hail Satan!" at street preachers
共和國萬歲
Salve Res Publica Popularis Sinarum Victorioso

"Til Island og Grønland og Hjaltland, gikk ferden på langskip mot vest,
i Frankrike, i Irland og England, var nordmannen ubuden gjest."

Random832

Postby Random832 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:32 am UTC

DaMullet wrote:Anyone on Facebook who wants to participate in a weird event, there is an event called "September 17th" which, by dint of great coincidence, is not actually being held that day. RSVP for the event, if you like.

Um, it's going to be tough as hell to find that; got a link?

Actaeus

Postby Actaeus » Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:33 pm UTC

I tried to borrow one of Mao's little red propaganda books from a history prof, but it looks like I'll have to find one elsewhere. I'm planning to carry it around in public, maybe flip through it.

Senefen

Postby Senefen » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:05 pm UTC

Two of my friends and I made icecream in the staff kitchen of the physics department. We got the post grads to provide us with liquid nitrogen to freeze it then we took it to our thermodynamics lecture to share. The staff were all pretty interested in how it was going to turn out so we told them to come to the staff room after our lecture to try some.

The three of us also started wandering the uni between classes and writing the SOS from Haruhi [It's like the one show we all have in common] in the corner of every white board we could get to all over the uni just to see if anyone wuld notice and how long they'd stay up.

We decided to go visit our course supervisor without leaving out wheelie chairs.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Mercat

Postby Mercat » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:54 am UTC

I don't know if I found this in this thread or somewhere else, but someone involved here was definitely trying to make the world a more interesting place: http://www.thatcanadiangirl.co.uk/blog/ ... -the-pond/
HEEEEAAAAATHUUUUUUUS

If you need to get a hold of me I'd recomment just PMing me, as I come and go in phases, it seems.

semper ubi sub ubi

Osha

Postby Osha » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:07 am UTC

I've been wearing a cape to my finals every semester. At first it was just a Yu-Gi-Oh blanket tied around my neck, but then I got an awesome bright red cape.

Some other weird stuff around campus (not my doing):

Chalk graffiti that says
"Dear Humanity
Live free, die happy.
--IX"

The word "Help!" appears in the sidewalk outside the math building whenever it rains.

DaMullet

Postby DaMullet » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:59 pm UTC

Random832 wrote:
DaMullet wrote:Anyone on Facebook who wants to participate in a weird event, there is an event called "September 17th" which, by dint of great coincidence, is not actually being held that day. RSVP for the event, if you like.

Um, it's going to be tough as hell to find that; got a link?
http://www.new.facebook.com/home.php#/event.php?eid=30890342582

Although it is being held on the 17th now.

oh, look. Burma Shave.

Zak

Postby Zak » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:08 am UTC

http://www.gumball.com/8500-count-gumballs.aspx

GUISE!!!!!

This is rediculously awesome.
*waggles eyebrows*

DaMullet

Postby DaMullet » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:36 am UTC

My DnD group just pooled some cash to buy that for our DM. We're going to put it in his house when he's out and give him an empty tiny gumball machine for Christmas.

oh, look. Burma Shave.

Actaeus

Postby Actaeus » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:59 pm UTC

Latest in bathroom graffiti:
"They laugh because it hurts ... because it's the only thing that'll make it stop hurting"
(It's from Stranger in a Strange Land, and one of my favorite quotes from the book)

Also from SiaSL, we need to arrange for a group to start singing this in a public place:
With an ugh! and a groan, and a kick of the eels,
Death comes quiet, or it comes with squeals --
But the pleasantest place to find your end
Is a cup of cheer from the hand of a friend.

There's more, but that's the chorus. Jubal's such an awesome character.

DaMullet

Postby DaMullet » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:56 pm UTC

Gum has arrived, and DAMN. 22 pounds of gum is a lot of of fucking gum. The box is about the size of a small television and completely full except for the plastic bag to keep the balls from getting wet. My friend is going to be so pissed when we give him this.

Also, the size of them is a lot smaller than would be reasonable to sell individually, so your lovely quarter-plans are basically shot.

oh, look. Burma Shave.

scowdich
The Hedgehog

Postby scowdich » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:58 pm UTC

Recently, I discovered that acetylene-rated welding goggles make pretty good sunglasses. I've also discovered that people in college towns are pretty nonchalant about this sort of thing.
How people in my local mall react remains to be seen.

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:18 am UTC

DaMullet wrote:Gum has arrived, and DAMN. 22 pounds of gum is a lot of of fucking gum. The box is about the size of a small television and completely full except for the plastic bag to keep the balls from getting wet. My friend is going to be so pissed when we give him this.

Also, the size of them is a lot smaller than would be reasonable to sell individually, so your lovely quarter-plans are basically shot.
You could sell small bags of them.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

Actaeus

Postby Actaeus » Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:36 pm UTC

DaMullet wrote:Gum has arrived, and DAMN. 22 pounds of gum is a lot of of fucking gum. The box is about the size of a small television and completely full except for the plastic bag to keep the balls from getting wet. My friend is going to be so pissed when we give him this.

Sell them for a dime each!
People see diameter, not volume. If it has half the diameter, they'll pay half-price. And you'll quadruple your profits.

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:24 pm UTC

I saw a Wisconsin police car today.

..in the south east of England.

I assume there is a story behind that. It certainly made my world a little weirder.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:34 pm UTC

While you were sleeping, we annexed you guys. South East England is now part of Wisconsin, South West England is Colorado, all of the north bits of England are a part of California, Wales is now Texas Jr, North Ireland is now part of New Jersey, and Scotland is now shared by Kentucky and Tennessee.

.... sorry, Scotland.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

odenskrigare

Postby odenskrigare » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:36 pm UTC

If someone says "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays" to me, I'm going to give him an at least vaguely Nazi-looking Roman salute and yell "IO SATVRNALIA!"

I hate the holidays. They seem to be the only times when people don't want to be douchebags. As in the Christmas truce of World War I, how people are so positive on one day of the year only serves to underscore how odious they are on the other 364.
共和國萬歲
Salve Res Publica Popularis Sinarum Victorioso

"Til Island og Grønland og Hjaltland, gikk ferden på langskip mot vest,
i Frankrike, i Irland og England, var nordmannen ubuden gjest."

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:58 am UTC

existential_elevator wrote:I saw a Wisconsin police car today.

..in the south east of England.

I assume there is a story behind that. It certainly made my world a little weirder.
There's a cherry picker parked outside a nearby store sometimes with Ontario plates on it. It always made my day a little weirder to wonder why someone drove one of those 3700km across the country and left it there.

I think you win though.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

Nomic

Postby Nomic » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:05 pm UTC

I changed the Christmas music CD to my HPLHS solstice craol album while nonbody was looking. Took quite long till somebody noticed there was something off with the songs. :twisted:

Actaeus

Postby Actaeus » Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:41 am UTC

Nomic wrote:I changed the Christmas music CD to my HPLHS solstice craol album while nonbody was looking. Took quite long till somebody noticed there was something off with the songs. :twisted:

I got some Verizon phone app for free, and now I can RickRoll on the go!

Kartoffelkopf

Postby Kartoffelkopf » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:02 pm UTC

Nomic wrote:I changed the Christmas music CD to my HPLHS solstice craol album while nonbody was looking. Took quite long till somebody noticed there was something off with the songs. :twisted:

I was planning to download 'A Very Scary Solstice', actually...

I went to Myer, found they had Macs set up, found they had internet. So I cranked the volume and blared this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbbA9BhCTko

odenskrigare wrote:If someone says "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays" to me, I'm going to give him an at least vaguely Nazi-looking Roman salute and yell "IO SATVRNALIA!"

Might try this sometime.

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:36 pm UTC

I discovered I'd been carrying around a burned CD full of techno I had no use for. So I left it in a DVD bargain bin. :mrgreen: It's got a nice cover on it too, you wouldn't realize it's homemade until you looked at the inside and saw a CD-R. (Not having anything on the back or sides might also give it away.)

I wanted to slip it into the actual CD rack, but there were too many people around.

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:42 pm UTC

'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:I discovered I'd been carrying around a burned CD full of techno I had no use for. So I left it in a DVD bargain bin.

Wow, that's awesome! I'm kind of surprised I hadn't heard of doing anything like this before.
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

fishyfish777

Postby fishyfish777 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:09 am UTC

MoonBuggy wrote:
Kizor wrote:Next week, I'll put up three of a series of postcards from 1910 speculating about life in 2000. The week after that, an ostrich wagon and other novelties.

Can someone fill me in as to what's futuristic about this one?

Also best videophone evar.

The boy on the right has a flute stuck in his head, sticking out the back.
Neon Rain wrote:And somehow we humans can invent scanning-probe microscopes that can "see" individual atoms, yet still can't invent a machine that can reliably scan tests not taken with a #2 pencil.

DaMullet

Postby DaMullet » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:07 am UTC

fishyfish777 wrote:
MoonBuggy wrote:
Kizor wrote:Next week, I'll put up three of a series of postcards from 1910 speculating about life in 2000. The week after that, an ostrich wagon and other novelties.

I can see why you'd think that, but no. It appears to be tiny food (The "flute" is actually a serving tray with some kind of cupcake on it). Everyone has ridiculously small plates and glasses.

oh, look. Burma Shave.

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:37 am UTC

DaMullet wrote:
fishyfish777 wrote:
MoonBuggy wrote:

I can see why you'd think that, but no. It appears to be tiny food (The "flute" is actually a serving tray with some kind of cupcake on it). Everyone has ridiculously small plates and glasses.

I thought it might be that the men and women were sitting beside each other. Damn liberals.
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

Mercat

Postby Mercat » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:24 am UTC

'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:I discovered I'd been carrying around a burned CD full of techno I had no use for. So I left it in a DVD bargain bin. :mrgreen: It's got a nice cover on it too, you wouldn't realize it's homemade until you looked at the inside and saw a CD-R. (Not having anything on the back or sides might also give it away.)

I wanted to slip it into the actual CD rack, but there were too many people around.

Ooh, like reverse shoplifting. I like it. (I mean, I like reverse-shoplifting, not shoplifting, heh.)
HEEEEAAAAATHUUUUUUUS

If you need to get a hold of me I'd recomment just PMing me, as I come and go in phases, it seems.

semper ubi sub ubi

Return to “General”