Making the world a weirder place

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

thecommabandit

Re: Making the world a weirder place

Postby thecommabandit » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:18 pm UTC

sgware wrote:
Jadestone wrote:New plan: Put posters around the school for a fake club, called "Procrastinators Unite! Tomorrow..."

My friends and I founded the International Waterfowl Circumambulation Society. Bonus points if you figure out what that means.

Waterfowl = Duck?
Circa = Around?
Ambulation = Walking?

Walking around ducks? Or is it that "Duck, duck, GOOSE!" game? I LOVE that game.

sgware

Postby sgware » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:18 pm UTC

Re: Waterfowl Circumambulation Society
thecommabandit wrote:Walking around ducks? Or is it that "Duck, duck, GOOSE!" game? I LOVE that game.

Ding ding ding! Yeah, we founded the Loyola University Duck Duck Goose club, and even had a university-wide championship.

In retrospect, "Anomalous Waterfowl Circumambulation Society" might have been better.
One day, I hope to change the world. Now if only they would give me the source code...

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:24 pm UTC

Narsil wrote:I wonder if anyone will ever notice.
The problem with my doing of such things is that I don't even notice soon after - I forget things waay too easily.
hermaj wrote:No-one. Will. Be. Taking. Cheese's. Spot.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Cheese is utterly correct on all fronts.
SecondTalon wrote:That thing that Cheese just said. Do that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I hereby disagree and declare Cheese to be brilliant.

KicktheCAN
v "This used to be my penis!"

Postby KicktheCAN » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:12 pm UTC

Cheese wrote:If I tried anything past the suit at my school, certain teachers would kill me. I like life too much for that.

If I did that I my school the students would kill me. Or at least beat me severely.
Making the world a weirder place is not safe where I live.
pollywog is awesome, that is all.
Addendum: Sethicus is also cool to the maximum.

Akira: i prefer monster black-man cocks.
Hoags: It's getting all 2vreks1CAN in here

Rummy

Postby Rummy » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:04 pm UTC

I'm not sure if this counts, but I really enjoy yelling "get a job!" at random people (particularly youths) when I'm the passenger in a car.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:26 pm UTC

Yelling things from a car at pedestrians - not weird, not amusing, not helpful, just fucking annoying. Most of the time the target will be unable to hear what you're saying clearly, turning "Get A Job!" in to "Gettabob!" or something, leaving them wondering what the hell the person said, and why the hell someone would yell random shit at a person just walking down the road.

It's a fast way to turn someone's good day into an okay one, and okay day into a bad one, and a bad day into a pretty shitty day, as no one enjoys being yelled at.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Postby ZeroSum » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:36 pm UTC

Don't forget that the Doppler effect is quite strong even from a car move 25 mph.

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:45 pm UTC

So you'd need to say something like GEEEEEEET AAAA JOBBB in order to have even small chances of being heard right (starting low, and getting higher in pitch towards 'jobbb')?
Spoiler:

libellule

Postby libellule » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:47 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Yelling things from a car at pedestrians - not weird, not amusing, not helpful, just fucking annoying.
Word.
Yelling things from a car at cyclists = also no. Even if you do find the sight of grocery bags balanced on handlebar ends amusing/hoboish/trashy.

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:02 pm UTC

libellule wrote:Even if you do find the sight of grocery bags balanced on handlebar ends amusing/hoboish/trashy.
What's wrong with something being hoboish, anyway?
Spoiler:

xooll

Postby xooll » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:41 pm UTC

I would be kind of amused by yelling "Get a job!" to someone who clearly has one. Like, someone who is at work. Preferably a high-paying job.
"You god-damned lazy CEO! When I was your age I was working at a gas station! Get a job!"
So, I got tired of the fact that the appearance of my band name in my signature made my posts on this forum the dominant result when googling for my music. Anyway, if you think I might happen to be a good musician, you can test this theory here.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:13 am UTC

Weird things to do in cars because yelling is fucking annoying and you're an asshole for doing it (and so's your face)

In the "Let the audience listen" category...

(Wear earplugs)Buy Yodeling CDs, roll down your windows, crank it, and roll slow through a pedestrian area. Sing along.

Dress as a thug gangsta. Cruise slow, nodding your head to NPR. Bonus points if it's Science Friday. As above with the yodeling, windows down, volume up. The more people in the car dressed the same, the better.

In the "whadafukwasdat???" category

Wear superdark sunglasses. Park in a normal spot. Get out, unfold your walking stick and tap your way around the lot.

Wear clown makeup. No wig, plain T-shirt, no funny tie... just clown makeup. You have no idea how ... odd.. that is until you see it. It helps if you have a happy face painted but look incredibly depressed.

Get two friends. It helps if you're all over 25. Dress as a Priest, a Rabbi, and a Buddhist Monk.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

TheKhakinator
the next small girl on KRNT radio

Postby TheKhakinator » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:42 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Get two friends. It helps if you're all over 25. Dress as a Priest, a Rabbi, and a Buddhist Monk. The Buddhist should have nunchuks, the Priest should have a giant cross like in The Graduate, and the Rabbi should have a sword in a walking stick or something. Then duke it out. It helps if you all arrive in seperate cars and then make lots of noise and point at each other first before you start the fight.

Fix'd to be like something out of a movie.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:30 pm UTC

Yeah, but that's less of a "Teach people to look around, even when driving on the interstate" wierdness, and more of a "Teach people that, even in parks, you're never safe from religious debate in the form of a choreographed battle"

TheKhakinator

Postby TheKhakinator » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:59 pm UTC

Yeah, but see, I was watching a Canadian TV show, and this nun and a penguin were walking through a park, then they started fighting, and... well yeah your idea is more meta.

natraj

Postby natraj » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:25 pm UTC

Sorcyress wrote:
podbaydoor wrote:Hopefully in a couple of weeks my friends and I will be doing confrontational Dr. Seuss in the public speaking area of campus, emulating street preacher style but we'll be screaming "I DO NOT LIKE GREEN EGGS AND HAM SAM I AM" in people's faces.

...that is win. That is EPIC win. That is so win, I may have to do it. Harvard Square, here I come!

Haha. I would DO this in Harvard Square with you. Totally. It is so much win.

Also, for a long time I have wanted to get a group of friends and organize us all to go to some random place -- park, coffeeshop, wherever -- and sit around as if we don't know each other, and then at some prearranged cue break into song and dance, like in musicals. It is my goal to start a group of people who get together on occasion and do this.
You want to know the future, love? Then wait:
I'll answer your impatient questions. Still --
They'll call it chance, or luck, or call it Fate,
The cards and stars that tumble as they will.

pronouns: they or he

MoonBuggy

Postby MoonBuggy » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:18 pm UTC

natraj wrote:Also, for a long time I have wanted to get a group of friends and organize us all to go to some random place -- park, coffeeshop, wherever -- and sit around as if we don't know each other, and then at some prearranged cue break into song and dance, like in musicals. It is my goal to start a group of people who get together on occasion and do this.

Ever seen improv everywhere? Sounds like exactly the kind of thing they'd do.
Michael McClary, in alt.fusion, wrote:Irrigation of the land with sewater desalinated by fusion power is ancient. It's called 'rain'.

madaloon

Postby madaloon » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:04 pm UTC

I tend to keep it conventional. The few things I do:
I maintain an obsession with squirrels. Some people understand the cuteness of squirrels, most are concerned.
I go out dancing at clubs and whip out The Twist and The Mashed Potato. It throws people off, they always come over and ask me what dance I'm doing.
“Did I leave the gas on? No! I’m – no – I’m a fucking squirrel!”

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Postby ZeroSum » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:05 pm UTC

While in Boston for dim sum some tourist was asking Cat for directions. I got bored so I started assaulting the pigeons by running at them flailing and jumping over things and such. Made one girl who happened to be sitting on a nearby bench laugh, so I feel my work was completed adequately.

Piarew

Postby Piarew » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:33 pm UTC

This thread makes me lol. I wish I was as creative as you guys. I'll have to work on it :) .
The new kid on the block.

pollywog
Let's party like it's my postcount

Postby pollywog » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:16 am UTC

I sometimes have a tenuous grasp on reality anyway, so a lot of things I do are classed as weird. I will happily talk to anyone, about anything, for a long long time. My writing is really messy, and I can't read it, so I changed the way some of the letters look to make it more legible to me. So occasionally I give people notes that they can't read, because I didn't use the right alphabet. I sometimes speak to people in a foreign language, or dramatically change my accent, just for lulz. Most extreme example: convincing a French speaker that I lived in France until I was ten.

My favourite thing to do ever is to write small messages, poems or quotes in places that aren't really somewhere where you'd normally look for graffiti. Ogden Nash and the Principia Discordia are good references, although making things up is better. It should be surreal, but not ridiculous. And try to stay away from penguins. They're not really a "weird" animal anymore.
suffer-cait wrote:hey, guys?
i'm fucking magic

Kikral

Postby Kikral » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:59 am UTC

On the slightly against the law side, I often graffiti existential thoughts or random thunkings (ignore that). For three years now, the bus I rode on to school has had the words "Justify all your phases, Do not dwell on the present, and always look towards a better yesterday. Or today, whichever cooks your coffee" signed under my name.

Apparently, no one and I mean NO ONE has the heart or the guts to remove it, or to get me in trouble for it. I've asked every bus driver and assistant we had about it, and they said that they didn't care, because thinking graffiti is good graffiti. And the fellow students? They get a kick out of it, and they leave the bus with a smile.

I thought too much for a freshmen ._.

I also speak in random accents often, because I prefer my accented voices to my plain ol' American tones.
I am the man your gods will have nightmares about for the next 50 years.

BeanDip4All

Postby BeanDip4All » Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:01 am UTC

My one oddball thing I do is give people random high-fives when running laps in Central Park. I have yet to be denied a fiver back!

(this wasn't my idea originally, btw, it started because some random dude high-fived me on a run and I was laughing/sketched out for the entire rest of the day!)
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they dont make sense
Refridgerator

Hit3k

Postby Hit3k » Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:20 am UTC

BeanDip4All wrote:My one oddball thing I do is give people random high-fives when running laps in Central Park. I have yet to be denied a fiver back!

(this wasn't my idea originally, btw, it started because some random dude high-fived me on a run and I was laughing/sketched out for the entire rest of the day!)

I do this too!! all the time in fact except I usually get more hand shakes and I did it once hanging in the air while rock climbing.

Me: HEY HIGHFIVE!
Other Guy: NOW is not the TIME.
Sungura wrote:My mom made me watch a star wars. Two of them , actually. The Death Star one and the one where the dude ends up in the swamp with the weird guy who talks funny.

Number3Pencils
The Torment of Existence Weighed against the Horror of Nonbeing

Postby Number3Pencils » Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:54 am UTC

I haven't been living up to my weirdness recently. Am I becoming NORMAL?!

When I was in middle school, I wore a tie and dress shirt to school every day for about a year until I thought better of it. Uncomfortable and limiting. Now I've gone the opposite way; I never wear shoes if I'm not absolutely required to, and if I am I still try to weasel out of it. I guess that's kinda weird, but in this college there's apparently another guy who does the same. Only, instead, when he goes to the dining hall, the one place where it's require, he wears some ridiculous shoes just for that purpose. Keeps them outside the hall.

In junior year, I think it was, I started a train. There's a window in the school that can only be gotten to by a long trek around the back where no one goes. I took to walking that way. Each day on the outside of the window I would post a post-it with a drawing of a train car. They started out normal, but progressively contained weirder things, like bananas or toilets. I was sad when someone eventually took it down.

But recently I haven't done anything that weird. I must make an effort to keep people guessing. This college is really small, so if I act weird, everyone will recognize me as that weird guy, but on the other hand, it's also a generally weird place, so that recognition wouldn't be ostracism.
Spoiler:

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:39 am UTC

Kikral wrote:I also speak in random accents often, because I prefer my accented voices to my plain ol' American tones.

I do that all the time! Not to people I don't know unfortunately. I usually go with a French/German, a Russian, an Irish (Leprechaun Irish) or a Welsh accent which normally degrades into a Punjab. Strangely it doesn't work the other way around.

Speedy Gonzalez Mexican accents are fun too, but I feel too much like I'll screw it up if I do it for long.

I would also like to say that yesterday, I drew a Ninja and a Pirate on my chemistry room whiteboard. The teacher was cool and left them up there. I also drew pirates on my Spanish room board, but the other people in the class erased them :(

Oh, and I have xkcd-like stick figures annotating my school notes. I have Victorian Gentleman (he has a tophat and a monocle - complete with speckles of "old bean" and "malarky" here and there) in my maths book; Hat Guy in my physics book (he's true to form - so far he's fired an unfortunate stick out of a cannon and dropped marbles on someone's head from a two-story building) and Pirate Dude in my Spanish book (we were doing regular verb conjugations and I just couldn't pass up the opportunity when some of the endings were -ar). Unfortunately my maths teacher said nothing when accosted by Victorian Gentleman explaining the subtleties of simultaneous equations (while getting annoyed by a guy who was pointing out that his hat was slowly swelling).

rxninja

Postby rxninja » Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:56 pm UTC

As far as accents are concerned, my friend and I once had a loud, drunken argument in Irish and Scottish accents for 45 continuous minutes whilst in a tavern.

Most of the ideas I think of really come of as snarky, too sarcastic/cynical, or mean. I wish I could be creative while also being funny and not just an ass.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I miss a lot of people, too. Fortunately, ammo is cheap.

sophyturtle wrote:I think nudity is the solution for everything...

NinjaSimon

Postby NinjaSimon » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:46 am UTC

Kythyria wrote:At my school someone on the staff puts up "Thought for the week" signs on the doors, with stupid, trite aphorisms on. One of the more reasonable ones was "Information is the currency of democracy". I want to find the font used on the signs and replace them with more interesting quotations from Terry Pratchett, the Internet, the fortune cookie file in bsd-games and so forth. Quotations such as: "The meek will inherit the earth, the rest of us will flee to the stars".

I'd have to do it anonymously, of course.

My school has those as well, sometimes they even contradict themselves, one week it was "Do or do not, there is no try." The next week it was "If you do not try you are doomed to fail," They get read out in our morning registration, so the other week, when "The left hand washes the right hand as the right hand washes the left hand," When the teacher asked us what it was about and no one had answered for a good 5 seconds I just said "basic hygiene?" and I managed to get a laugh, unfortunately these random jokes I have don't always go down so well, one of my teachers doesn't have a sense of humour at all, sad man.

My unusual/weird stuff usually comes about from snap decisions, eg, if I see someone I think I recognise I yell out their name and look the other way, then see if they look. The other week I could swear I saw some one's evil twin (looked exactly like him, but with facial hair), when I asked the one I suspected of being evil about it he said he'd never heard of the guy, I said okay then, then when he turned around I squinted at him in a "I'm onto you" sort of way.
You are reading my signature.

noouch

Postby noouch » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:21 pm UTC

NinjaSimon wrote:The other week I could swear I saw some one's evil twin (looked exactly like him, but with facial hair)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirror,_Mi ... OS_episode)

?

__Kit

Postby __Kit » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:24 am UTC

Rummy wrote:I'm not sure if this counts, but I really enjoy yelling "get a job!" at random people (particularly youths) when I'm the passenger in a car.

Tony? Haha my brothers friend (Tony) yelled that at me from a car, I can't believe I remember it. Thankyou.

I do make the world a weirder place, but yesh nothing comes to mind.
Ugh recently, lemme think...
How about, shouting everyone an ice-cream in BK, (like everyone that was there, STRANGERS) and then later getting kicked out for singing "girls just wanna have fun" also I made some witty remark at the lady working there which probably didn't help. (Chicken-burger-thing finally finishes cooking "Did you have to wait for it to hatch?")
=]

TheKhakinator

Postby TheKhakinator » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:03 pm UTC

OK roll with me guys.

Tomorrow I'm gonna catch the train. Now usually on the weekends (hell most of the time ever) there's enough seats on the train that you don't have to sit near other people. But I'm thinking about it. I'm considering sitting near someone else on the train. Maybe I'll even say "Hi!" or use that polar bear joke from the "Eggs" comic thread.

Oh wait. I need my bike with me which necessitates not sitting at all... damn.

But ignoring the bike, does anyone else think this idea is good or not? People don't talk to each other on the train unless they know each other, so it's definitely breaking a barrier. However, I don't want to scare anyone or make anyone angry or get attacked. I'm guessing everyone here will say "If someone random talked to me on the train I wouldn't mind!" but I'm unlikely to meet an xkcd'er on the train due to my location.

It'd be nice if people wore the "Just shy! Not antisocial! You can talk to me!" shirts.

rachel
Witch (?)

Postby rachel » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:12 pm UTC

It depends on how intimidating you look and who you choose to talk to. Go for an older lady, old people like to talk. They like to talk a lot.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I played "porn" against my sister last night.
Meaux_Pas wrote:So in otherwords, it's like the best cake ever, covered in bees.

j&r-bffl

TheKhakinator

Postby TheKhakinator » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:24 pm UTC

rachel wrote:It depends on how intimidating you look and who you choose to talk to.

Oh, of course. I hadn't thought of that. I think I'll practice in the mirror at being less intimidating first.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:34 pm UTC

Definitely try to be unthreatening. A random older guy started talking to me on the bus recently and I immediately got paranoid. However, he seemed reasonably intelligent and engaging and not-insane or pickpocketish, so I eventually relaxed a bit.

OT:
Friends back in high school once started the LEGO Club...which stood for League of Extraordinary Gentlepeople's Organization Club. They met in room 113, which doesn't exist.

Another time, when my school was hosting a debate tournament, someone assigned a bunch of competitors to room 113. I forget if it was a mistake or on purpose, but it definitely had a flock of confused freshmen wandering around for the better part of an hour.

My friends and I also want to stage a kiss-in, though that will be more difficult to pull off than the Dr. Seuss (which has been postponed to next month, but we have checked out a stack of Dr. Seuss books literally a foot high). Basically, whenever the local inflammatory evangelical group arrives on campus again, we will have hopefully dozens of couples step out of the crowd and begin making out for a specified length of time right in the middle of the speaking area. No speaking, no fanfare, just lots of kissing.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Umlaut
Everybody's a diacritic

Postby Umlaut » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:43 pm UTC

TheKhakinator wrote:
rachel wrote:It depends on how intimidating you look and who you choose to talk to.

Oh, of course. I hadn't thought of that. I think I'll practice in the mirror at being less intimidating first.

Being "strapped" gives a +10 against intimidate checks. I love talking to strangers on the bus.
You will be baked and then there will be cake.

TheKhakinator

Postby TheKhakinator » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:07 pm UTC

Umlaut wrote:
TheKhakinator wrote:

Being "strapped" gives a +10 against intimidate checks. I love talking to strangers on the bus.

I did not make sense out of that at all apart from a vague RPG-style reference. "strapped"?

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Postby ZeroSum » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:12 pm UTC

"to be strapped" is slang for being in possession of a firearm or other weapon.

TheKhakinator

Postby TheKhakinator » Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:05 am UTC

ZeroSum wrote:"to be strapped" is slang for being in possession of a firearm or other weapon.

Oh lol is me.

I travelled on two trains and a tram today. And rode around at the Solar Challenge finish area for a while and looked at stuff there. Though I didn't talk to anyone. I think it was probably for the best - the weather wasn't great and I think I looked intimidating.

Making stuff weirder: I wear a fake Soviet medal on my pants, the Order of the Patriotic War. Sadly it fell off today and I lost it. :cry: It matched so well with my grey shorts and also my camo pants.

Eleyras

Postby Eleyras » Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:18 pm UTC

I create artwork in every class I'm in. I've drawn in pencil, pen and ink, watercolor, acrylics, colored pencils, oil pastels, conte pencils, charcoal, and done some collage stuff. As a part of this, I will on occasion need a reference for something. I usually just stand up, assume the pose I want, look at my body/feel my body, sit back down, and go back to art. This is best when done mid-test. (because srsly, the multiple choice doesn't take _THAT_ long.)

Nothing like sitting down and taking out a paintset, then watching the teachers gaze at you suspiciously, wondering where your notes are and if their precious carpet will be ruined.

Also, the other day, I was tired, so I lay down. On the concrete ground. Outside my classroom. Everyone asked if I was alright, if I was sick, etc. Nope. I just don't sleep enough and it was Friday.

I walk around with a bicycle helmet on my head, because if I don't keep it on my head I'll leave it somewhere.

That's all I can think of for now.
At some point, I will remember to sig quotes I find amusing or something.

...once I stop laughing.

DaMullet

Postby DaMullet » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:56 am UTC

At some unspecified point in my past, I inherited a green and green pinstripe suit, such that when I wear it, I resemble a watermelon.
Will wrote:Andrew Jackson was all kinds of badass.

SecondTalon wrote:Out in the wasteland
Driving cars of rusted steel
oh, look. Burma Shave.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:HACKS ARE STING OUR SYLLES AND SING THEM TO TERRISTS!

Return to “General”