This blows my mind!

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Which way is the girl spinning?

Clockwise
49%
Counterclockwise
27%
The girl isn't spinning at all!
2%
There's a spinning girl? All I see are tits.
12%
Otter/Duck (A homage to our prodigal son)
11%

Total votes: 356

JET73L

Re: This blows my mind!

Postby JET73L » Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:30 am UTC

In order, my thoughts were:
Hmm, counterclockwise.
Wow, nipples.
Huh, I can make it seem to go the other direction by refocusing my eyes.
Okay, I have got to figure out a measureable way to detuermine the direction she is spinning...
Maybe by using perspective to show when her raised foot is smaller, I can see which turn she is facing the other way.
Grah. The skipped frame is messing with my eyes. Maybe the shadow?
If the floor is where you expect it, it's probably counterclockwise...
But the floor could simply be at an unexpected angle, invalidating the test.
I'll read the other replies, and compare data...

If the counterclockwise-ness doesn;t convince you how I think, the rest of the thoughts will.
The Summoning of Dragons. Single copy, first edition, slighty foxed and extremely dragoned.
+++OUT OF CHEESE ERROR+++ +++PLEASE REBOOT+++
"I assumed we were walking to the bakery." "You alwaysassume that!"

JamesObscura

Postby JamesObscura » Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:52 am UTC

(Fuck JET73L beat me to the nipple joke.)

After a bit of practice I can get her to switch back and forth...
I initially saw her clockwise but it immediately got switched to counter when I saw her shadow.(I'm almost certain that she is actually moving counter based on the shadow.)
Contraceptives?

I recommend an inverse tachyon beam.

NINnerd

Postby NINnerd » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:05 am UTC

JamesObscura wrote:I initially saw her clockwise but it immediately got switched to counter when I saw her shadow.(I'm almost certain that she is actually moving counter based on the shadow.)

If you look closely, the shadow can go either way. When the girl turns away from you (back to you), the shadow of the foot looks like a stump because the toes are facing completely away from you. The same thing happens when she turns to face you head-on. The foot turns into a stump because her toes are pointing at you. Make sense?

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:39 pm UTC

ARGH! I've started being able to see her doing both at the same time after looking at it for a while. That's not a kind thing to do to brains!

Jadestone

Postby Jadestone » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:55 pm UTC

Yess, I can get her to go both ways. But I saw clockwise first.
Kokopelli for President

"Life's a beach. Then you die." -Terry Prattchet

"We are all of us alone in this world."

timt

Postby timt » Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:28 am UTC

I can make it change instantly by looking at the shadow but i first saw it clockwise and i predominately see it that way.

Rook

Postby Rook » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:29 am UTC

Optical illusions are MADE OF GAY.

By which I mean, when I say one my thoughts are usually along the lines of OH CRAP MY EYES. But once I calm down they're pretty cool. With this one, I got clockwise at first, then saw the shadow and got it to go anticlockwise. And now it won't go back. Graargh.
You scratch my lion, and I'll scratch yours.

mattmacf wrote:Action precedes motivation.

This is very, very important.

CivilDefense700

Postby CivilDefense700 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:53 am UTC

Ah! it keeps switching on me!
I must be having a seizure, or my brain just can't handle the input.
"I happen to have access to one of the sexiest lasers on the eastern seaboard."

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:31 am UTC

*Brain splinter*

She was very obviously moving clockwise to me, and so I spent a few minutes trying to see her turn counterclockwise, and I sort of did, but now I just can't look at it anymore and it is hurting my eyes. I think I can see it moving both ways at once now... and I really don't want to. It is not a pleasant sensation.
A good pun is its own reword.
L wrote:A day without kells is a day not worth living.

audoue

Postby audoue » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:35 am UTC

I see her spinning counterclock but when I concentrate for 5 seconds I can see her spin the other way quite easily.
But I don<t get the thing with the shadow either... I dosen't do anything

Sour Apple

Postby Sour Apple » Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:05 am UTC

Angelene wrote:Ok, I don't get it, is she not very obviously spinning clockwise? Until someone promises me that they see it as counter clockwise I'll remain entirely dubious as to how mind blowing this is.

It can't possibly be going clockwise. It's definitely going counter-clockwise.

The theory is that if it's going clockwise, you're a math-minded sort of person (which makes sense, since lots more people seem to see it going clockwise). If it's counter-clockwise, you're more wordy. Which I am.
Who I am. [Apparently this isn't obvious: I'm a chick, a bird, a female of your species.]

Neris

Postby Neris » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:16 am UTC

So what does it mean when the first minute I watched her she spun counter-clockwise and then when I shifted my view and focused on her shadow she started spinning clockwise? Now she won't spin counter-clockwise again.

Perhaps it means I'm screwed in the head?
"My God, man! Do they want tea?"
"No, I think they're after something more than that, sir. I don't know what it is, but they've brought a flag."

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:44 pm UTC

Absolutely clockwise. I've tried to get it to go the other way, but I can't.

amazingly, I'm a scientist.

RedWolf

Postby RedWolf » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:26 am UTC

Angelene wrote:Okay, it's very obvious what's happening here, she's obviously just moving clockwise and counter at her discretion...don't be fooled, this is no optical illusion, merely a fickle spinner.

Didn't read through all 7 pages so I apologize if someone already brought this up, but my AP psychology teacher showed us this a while back and told each student to say out loud when they saw her change directions. Apparently nobody ever saw her change at the same time, so it truly must just be an optical illusion.

As for me, it started going clockwise, but now I can make her change directions at will, I just glance away so she's in my peripheral vision, and she switches. w00t, mastery of teh illusion!!1!

SPsnow02

Postby SPsnow02 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:32 am UTC

I can ONLY see it spinning clockwise.. But the Left/Right side of the brain analysis doesn't fit what I've heard about myself from any other things like this...
Rawr!

Avram

Postby Avram » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:12 am UTC

The counter-clockwise direction is only visible if you imagine yourself underneath the horizontal plane, with the girl dancing on top of a glass floor above your head (just like in the Necker Cube illusion). Otherwise certain visual cues don't make sense (such as the relative height of her foot during the 12 and 6 o'clock points of the spin).

Also, I should mention that this whole idea of certain people being "left-brained" and others being "right-brained" is largely a popular press invention, and not taken seriously by most scientists.

wst

Postby wst » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:45 pm UTC

Shit.. I just got her foot going one way, the rest of her going the other way. That hurts to see. (The foot transitioned when I looked at it and the top half didn't).

I'll get some paracetamol.
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

simo

Postby simo » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:52 pm UTC

I see her going both ways at once.

THANKS

I JUST THREW UP.

:(

not cool. i was just cooking chicken kievs and now I'm gonna be woozy all night.

Qoppa

Postby Qoppa » Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:28 pm UTC

I see both, but I can't willingly switch between them. It seems to go counter-clockwise more often, but occasionally it will briefly switch.

Code: Select all

_=0,w=-1,(*t)(int,int);a()??<char*p="[gd\
~/d~/\\b\x7F\177l*~/~djal{x}h!\005h";(++w
<033)?(putchar((*t)(w??(p:>,w?_:0XD)),a()
):0;%>O(x,l)??<_='['/7;{return!(x%(_-11))
?x??'l:x^(1+ ++l);}??>main(){t=&O;w=a();}

Mo6eB

Postby Mo6eB » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:09 pm UTC

After thinking "Hey, nipples".
She was definitely going clockwise at the beginning, then I read how some people saw it as counter-clockwise, spent a few minutes pondering whether they were inverting the "up" vector, or using some strange definition of "wise-ness"... Then I saw her going counter-clockwise, watched a few more minutes, figured out how to switch between the two* and now she's just doing half-spins in either direction and my brain hurts.
Awesome!

* - to switch, wait until her feet merge and imagine her going the other way. This illusion seems to be simply a 3D image orthogonally projected to 2D with all lighting turned off (basically, any depth clues go bye-bye).
GENERATION [imath]\aleph_{1}[/imath] : Whenever you wish, copy this into your sig on any forum and increase the generation to the next transfinite cardinal. Social experiment NOT over.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:33 pm UTC

Very cool illusion. First of all, I saw her spinning anti-clockwise. But after shutting my eyes and concentrating, I managed to see her spinning clockwise. I don't feel the shadow provides any clue about the "true" spin of the image, because the raise foot is, well, raised. The shadow would move in that way whether she was spinning clockwise or anti-clockwise.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Zug-Zug

Postby Zug-Zug » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:20 am UTC

Ok, I read through the rest of the replies here, but I didn't find anyone noting this:

If you look at it upside down, she'll switch. Like really, just pivot your head around. (or you could be boring and turn the screen.)
I've tried it with multiple people now, some who originally saw her spinning Clockwise and some who originally saw her spinning Counter-clockwise.

[Edit: This has been bothering me since I first saw it, she spins both ways depending on whether I'm leaning to the right or to the left, or whether my left eye or my right eye is closed.]

keeneal
Location: Glenside during the school year, Rising Sun in the summers, Lancaster in the in-between

Postby keeneal » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:19 am UTC

I first saw clockwise.
Now I can make her change by defocussing my eyes (something I was fascinated with as a small'un) and staring at the point that would be between the two visions of her stationary foot if I weren't seeing double. Both the shadow and the girl always go the same way. I, too, am surprised that this isn't hurting my brain.
I prepared Explosive Runes this morning.Alex Keene

Arjy

Postby Arjy » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:10 pm UTC

It keeps changing for me D:

Cooley

Postby Cooley » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:46 am UTC

Ok, the spinner is just changing direction at her whim, or how it was programmed or whatever.

there is no other explanation for what I just saw.

timt

Postby timt » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:47 am UTC

Just focus on the non spinning foot's shadow and imagine it going the other way, i can switch between the directions seamlessly doing this. Cool illusion but is in no way a test for the hemisphere's of the brain.

MotorToad
Really Repeatedly Redundantly Redundant

Postby MotorToad » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:03 am UTC

What's killing me is that the shadow and/or reflection is just wrong for clockwise but I can't make her stop spinning clockwise (she was CCW when I first looked tonight but now she's just a CW bitch). There's no sense to it and it hurts to look at.
What did you bring the book I didn't want read out of up for?
"MAN YOUR WAY TO ANAL!" (An actual quote from another forum. Only four small errors from making sense.)

BazookaNinja

Postby BazookaNinja » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:38 am UTC

the gradient in the background gives the sense of depth, the pose changes in the cycle (see frame 24 to 25), and the shadow is inconsistent with the figure

hooray
Attachments
testedocrebro2.gif
testedocrebro2.gif (101.1 KiB) Viewed 3181 times

ShaKri

Postby ShaKri » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:29 pm UTC

when i first looked at the origional i thought... clockwise...
then afterwards i looked at the shadow of the foot below it and when i followed that... it went counter clockwise... and now i cant get it to go back to clockwise HAHAHA...

EDIT... when i look at Bazooka ninja's i see it clockwise again.
Last edited by ShaKri on Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:19 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Signature : 01000011 01101000 01110101 01100011 01101011
00100000 01001110 01101111 01110010 01110010 01101001 01110011 00100000

wst

Postby wst » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:13 pm UTC

I can make her do figure-8s with her foot now. Wow.
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

Alexiel

Postby Alexiel » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:07 pm UTC

She is moving clockwise while the shadow is moving counter clockwise. You can tell by the feet. If I focus on the shadow foot, I can switch to counter clockwise etc.
Joe Ancis wrote:The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well.

Walter wrote:Fuck it dude, let's go bowling

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:19 pm UTC

I could see clockwise for ages, and then I got it to switch. Then I caved, and looked at the .gif in Fireworks to work out why it works.

Damn you optical illusions.

I have enough vision problems without you making my eyes work harder!
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

Technical Ben

Postby Technical Ben » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:22 pm UTC

Stop trying to think of ways to figure out the image. Think really simple. If the image had no perspective, there would be no way to see which way the figure is really moving.
But because of the movement, your brain percives it rotating. (it's probably been explained already :P )

I definatly find it easier to swap the direction in my perifral vision though. Anyone know the reason for this? Once I get stuck at seeing one direction, I seem to "remember" it visually, and have to look away if I want to swap the spin thats visable.
It's all physics and stamp collecting.
It's not a particle or a wave. It's just an exchange.

Alexiel

Postby Alexiel » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:31 pm UTC

Technical Ben wrote:Stop trying to think of ways to figure out the image. Think really simple. If the image had no perspective, there would be no way to see which way the figure is really moving.
But because of the movement, your brain percives it rotating. (it's probably been explained already :P )

I definatly find it easier to swap the direction in my perifral vision though. Anyone know the reason for this? Once I get stuck at seeing one direction, I seem to "remember" it visually, and have to look away if I want to swap the spin thats visable.

If you were saying that to me, I'm not trying, I did. If you weren't, sorry.
Your brain perceives it as rotating because the extremities trace an ellipse. The reason why it is an 'optical allusion' is because the image lacks lighting, so there is no way to tell which half of the ellipse is in front of the other half.

Regardless, spell better...[/nitpick]
Joe Ancis wrote:The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well.

Walter wrote:Fuck it dude, let's go bowling

tzar1990

Postby tzar1990 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:55 am UTC

Aaaand my brain hurts now...

Seriously though, she started moving clockwise, I shifted her by looking at her shadow, she switched back, and then things got a little funky. First I got the ability to make her switch almost at will, and then she started switching every 180 degrees without my help... I now have to focus hard in order to keep her from switching constantly, and she usually gets stuck counterclockwise...

I like it!
The universe is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper. ~Eden Phillpotts, A Shadow Passes

M.qrius
Rainbow Brite

Postby M.qrius » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:49 am UTC

Made some help images for people who can't make her switch. Look at one of the images for a while, then at the original, and it should spin the same way as the original.
Clockwise:
1.gif
Clockwise
1.gif (635.66 KiB) Viewed 3009 times

Counterclockwise:
2.gif
Counterclockwise
2.gif (635.51 KiB) Viewed 3013 times

Edit: And here's one I specifically made to break your mind. I advise you not to look at it, unless you want to. (When I finished it, my mind's only logical conclusion was that the upper body was spinning in the opposite direction of the lower body. Gave me a good laugh :P But that is actually how I made it :)
Spoiler:
3.gif
Boom.
3.gif (639.36 KiB) Viewed 2991 times

micco

Postby micco » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:07 pm UTC

I think that it changes its spinning direction. At firs it seemed to spin clockwise for 14.33 seconds, after that it spinned counter clockwise for 6.54 second and changed to cw again for 2.94 seconds, canged to ccw for 2.94 sec, back to cw for 4.72 sec, change to ccw for 7.07 sec and so on. I watced and clocked it for 1min22.10sec in total. That is very cool btw.
An anarchist is a person that makes oatmeal and blows it up.

Ansible

Postby Ansible » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:09 pm UTC

I don't remember which way the figure spun when I first saw this, but now I can easily change the direction at will. Procedure: unfocus eyes, mentally spin the figure in the direction you want, and refocus on the image with that in mind. That seems to work for me at least.

After seeing this thread, I also decided to try spinning the figure in both directions at the same time. I first tried it with only one image, but that didn't work. I could get the flip time to be less than a second, but never have it spin both ways simultaneously. Then I opened two instances of the same image and stared at them for a while, but whenever I flipped one image's spin, the other one instantly went the same direction. I thought it would be easier if one image was offset in its spin (as in time), or if it was spinning at a different rate, so I opened one image on my laptop and placed it next to the same image on my desktop, going at a slightly different spin rate. After a bit of concentration, they were spinning in opposite directions!

It's mentally draining though, because both images would start spinning in the same direction again if I stopped concentrating.

Edit: Actually with just a bit of practice, it isn't too hard to have two figures spin in opposite directions for longer periods of time.
Last edited by Ansible on Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:14 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Shadic

Postby Shadic » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:09 pm UTC

Shadic wrote:...How can you people see her going clockwise? I don't get it? She's most definitely going counter-clockwise.

And now I see her going clockwise. Ugh.

JET73L

Postby JET73L » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:01 am UTC

@M.qrius: Bah. In the lower picture, her left arm passes through her torso, whioch then becomes translucent and lets off a burst of viosible radiation at the edges of the arm, where it is most visibly dense. It is far less likely that her upper and lower body are moving in opposite directions.

I like this illusion, though. See top of page for my original response.
The Summoning of Dragons. Single copy, first edition, slighty foxed and extremely dragoned.
+++OUT OF CHEESE ERROR+++ +++PLEASE REBOOT+++
"I assumed we were walking to the bakery." "You alwaysassume that!"

Return to “General”