Humility

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Iori_Yagami

Humility

Postby Iori_Yagami » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:30 pm UTC

Being humble...
Is it what never appears in internet forum posters?
I mean the prevalent attitude 'I'm pure luck and you all suck!' is so widespread that I lose faith in people.
What happened to the world? Has abundance of machinery made people unfeeling, unthinking, bragging loudmouths?
Do people still have shame, compassion, conscience? Do they avoid bad things only because of fear or uncomfortableness, but not because it is bad? Is there still someone inside who tells you what is good and what is bad? And NO, I do not mean this new meaning as 'favourable' and 'unpleasant', correspondingly. I mean real moral values. Like treat people the way that you want to be treated by them. Other peple acting bad is not any excuse for your own actions. Never.
It scares me. Younger ones are more frightening. I do not want to end up living in that world in my senile years.
Everything appears shattered. People lost themselves for trinkets. For mobile phones and ipods. For flicky pictures and sounds. For nonexisting 'coolness' and lies. For golden bull idol.
How can anyone say that 'someone that stupid does not deserve to live'? How is it different from mocking disabled people? Who are you to decide? :roll:
They cannot defend themselves; they cannot run away. INSANITY is their only way of escape.

Angelene
relax, I'll handle the zippers

Re: Humility

Postby Angelene » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:33 pm UTC

Hmm, the premise of your post is a tad confused...it goes from humility to decency to basic human kindness...are you talking entirely about online relations or does this extend to reality, too?

I, for one, am always aware of the presence of a living breathing sentient being behind every username...it can be easy to forget the existence of humanity here.
"Some people need a red carpet rolled out in front of them in order to walk forward into friendship. They can't see the tiny outstretched hands all around them, everywhere, like leaves on trees."

NinjaArcana

Postby NinjaArcana » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:46 pm UTC

Yes, I'm not sure I follow you.... Humility to me is not being arrogant, for arrogance is brother to ignorance. That is a pretty basic way of putting it. But someone stupid needing to die? While a way of cleaning the gene pool, I'm pretty sure we still need those people for something, if we don't need them for their intelligence. Telephone cleaners for instance, without them we could die from a horrible plague due to an unclean telephone.

sarahnade
Sexiest Man on the Forum

Postby sarahnade » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:20 pm UTC

Two reasons why you don't have about it: 1) The arrogance you see on the fora, is not usually true to life. People become jerks when no one is holding them accountable for it. Lots gets mixed up in translation anyway. 2) If they really are like that in the "real world", they're probably young and will grow out of it... usually.

Don't get too worked up about how mean people are. Tell 'em off if it makes you feel better, but try not to take it too personally or too seriously.

Nath

Postby Nath » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:33 pm UTC

Iori_Yagami wrote:What happened to the world? Has abundance of machinery made people unfeeling, unthinking, bragging loudmouths?
Do people still have shame, compassion, conscience? Do they avoid bad things only because of fear or uncomfortableness, but not because it is bad? Is there still someone inside who tells you what is good and what is bad? And NO, I do not mean this new meaning as 'favourable' and 'unpleasant', correspondingly. I mean real moral values. Like treat people the way that you want to be treated by them. Other peple acting bad is not any excuse for your own actions. Never.
It scares me. Younger ones are more frightening. I do not want to end up living in that world in my senile years.
Everything appears shattered. People lost themselves for trinkets. For mobile phones and ipods. For flicky pictures and sounds. For nonexisting 'coolness' and lies. For golden bull idol.

It's funny how every generation thinks that they are witnessing the end of morality, when what they are really witnessing is its continued absence.

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:38 pm UTC

Morality? What Morality?
It's sad that so many people are willing to sue your brains out to get a little petty cash these days...
It was sad that so many people are/were willing to go looting during wartime in this country [pretty much any country goes here]
It's sad that so many people were willing to go burning 'witches' because they didn't like the person

And so on, through history. It's quite depressing to think, but completely true.
hermaj wrote:No-one. Will. Be. Taking. Cheese's. Spot.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Cheese is utterly correct on all fronts.
SecondTalon wrote:That thing that Cheese just said. Do that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I hereby disagree and declare Cheese to be brilliant.

chaosspawn

Postby chaosspawn » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:59 pm UTC

humility is what I don't post.

Also were not the youths already corrupted by this "rock and roll" fad?

But in a perhaps more serious manner, I see it as: People do bad things, while a person does good.

Edit: too stupid to live - see Darwin Awards
This space intentionally left blank.

cacp

Postby cacp » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:10 am UTC

Watch the movie "Idiocracy" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/ It's so true it hurts sometimes.
My jaw is sore from yawning.

Iori_Yagami

Postby Iori_Yagami » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:11 am UTC

As it goes... Do you really see no difference between what you do and what you think ALL are doing? Crowd instinct is probably the single most horrible excuse for most atrocities.
Like kids who beat someone till they bleed and then bleat 'We were playiiiiiing!'
They cannot defend themselves; they cannot run away. INSANITY is their only way of escape.

sarahnade
Sexiest Man on the Forum

Postby sarahnade » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:02 am UTC

I see a clear difference. But that's not the point we're (read: I'm) making. I think what most of us are trying to say is, "Yes, there are meany dookie heads in the world. There have always been and there will always be meany dookie heads. You really have to accept the fact that not everyone is going to be nice to you. Be friends with the nice people and don't let the dookie heads get to you."

At least, that's what I was trying to say.

Flying Betty

Postby Flying Betty » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:15 am UTC

I care less what Internet people think of me than what real life people think of me. Thus, I'm not going to try to be humble online if it requires any thought at all. My guess is that humility is a learned response, it being a virtue and all, so most people are naturally not humble unless actively trying to present themselves as such. (My stock response to questions like this is that they're only doing it to piss you off.)
Belial wrote:The future is here, and it is cyberpunk as hell.

Iori_Yagami

Postby Iori_Yagami » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:44 am UTC

I will make an experiment here. Say whether you see distinct difference between these two qualities.
1)Good - bad as in rich vs poor, beautiful vs ugly, healthy vs ill, bright vs dull, witty vs boring.
2)Good - bad as in honest vs liar, brave vs coward, straight vs cunning, generous vs greedy.
Do you see it? :shock:

VannA
White

Postby VannA » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:26 am UTC

Iori_Yagami wrote:Being humble...
Is it what never appears in internet forum posters?
I mean the prevalent attitude 'I'm pure luck and you all suck!' is so widespread that I lose faith in people.
What happened to the world? Has abundance of machinery made people unfeeling, unthinking, bragging loudmouths?
How can anyone say that 'someone that stupid does not deserve to live'? How is it different from mocking disabled people? Who are you to decide? :roll:

WTF has any of that actually got to do with Humility?

Humility is a poorly represented concept. If you ask what I can do, I will tell you. If you ask what I have done, I will tell you.

I occasionally enjoy eliciting a little worship with tales of prowess.. but so?

Most *humility* is totally pointless.

Your whole post smacks of somebody who has decided they don't want to investigate the people and things around them, to determine the why, and have just decided to label it all bad.

Somewhat ironically, that's what you are also complaining about.

If you believe there is an objective, real and true underlying moral system to the universe, implicit in its function, or placed by its creator.. Then I'm bowing out, because we'll never agree.

Your example is poorly worded. Both are completely valid scales.
There is a socially accepted answer for both, that is unlikely to differ too greatly.

What is your point?
Jealousy is a disease, love is a healthy condition. The immature mind often mistakes one for the other, or assumes that the greater the love, the greater the jealousy.

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:32 am UTC

If you don't mind, can I ask where you're from? Or your world views? Just to get a sense of how you're approaching this.

stet

Postby stet » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:25 am UTC

If you want to see the most insecure, self-pitying (all very close to humbleness) people on the internet, join an amateur writers' forum. The qualities you've described are not inherent in the internet or fora.

Iori_Yagami

Postby Iori_Yagami » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:27 am UTC

Really, how could I have forgotten that no miracles exists. Technically gifted and logically thinking individuals have a tendency to be less open to thoughts about human qualities and vice versa.
Self-pity is not humbleness. Not even close to that. It is pure confusion of 'warm' for 'soft'.
I would not specifically say anything about my origin since that is exactly what is to be crucially avoided. Otherwise, it is introducing bias. What I am trying to get from the experiment is to confirm the presence of UNIVERSAL values.

Amicitia

Postby Amicitia » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:38 am UTC

It's like 4chan, but with grammar. Also science/math.
"OMIT NEEDLESS WORDS"
William Strunk, Jr.

GusPatsy
sex, lol!

Postby GusPatsy » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:26 am UTC

Iori_Yagami wrote:I will make an experiment here. Say whether you see distinct difference between these two qualities.
1)Good - bad as in rich vs poor, beautiful vs ugly, healthy vs ill, bright vs dull, witty vs boring.
2)Good - bad as in honest vs liar, brave vs coward, straight vs cunning, generous vs greedy.

Yes! :shock: But I don't agree with your insinuation. When dull people try to enter into intellectual discourse they should expect to be hassled. That's not to say they've necessarily earned derision, but I haven't necessarily earned an injury for standing in the middle of a busy street. It's to be expected nonetheless. Intellectual discourse is for bright people, anyone else gets in the way, interrupts the flow, and just generally frustrates everyone involved.
Alisto wrote:
GusPatsy wrote:I would like a title that references something I don't get, and would take hours to figure out, eventually leaving me disappointed.

"Sex"

Amicitia

Postby Amicitia » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:35 am UTC

GusPatsy wrote:
Iori_Yagami wrote:I will make an experiment here. Say whether you see distinct difference between these two qualities.

Yes! :shock: But I don't agree with your insinuation. When dull people try to enter into intellectual discourse they should expect to be hassled. That's not to say they've necessarily earned derision, but I haven't necessarily earned an injury for standing in the middle of a busy street. It's to be expected nonetheless. Intellectual discourse is for bright people, anyone else gets in the way, interrupts the flow, and just generally frustrates everyone involved.

Actually, you should stop posting, since I'm friends with the moderators here, and thus can attack your character without fear of retaliation.

Hahahaha... What a twit Amicitia is. -G
"OMIT NEEDLESS WORDS"

William Strunk, Jr.

VannA
White

Postby VannA » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:12 am UTC

Iori_Yagami wrote: What I am trying to get from the experiment is to confirm the presence of UNIVERSAL values.

*Fail*

Seriously.. Why bother? For what purpose is your universal value a value?

Of course, you extrapolate from here, and if you believe in a universal value, you more than likely believe something set it.

So, who, and why?
Jealousy is a disease, love is a healthy condition. The immature mind often mistakes one for the other, or assumes that the greater the love, the greater the jealousy.

GusPatsy
sex, lol!

Postby GusPatsy » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:36 am UTC

Amicitia wrote:Actually, you should stop posting, since I'm friends with the moderators here, and thus can attack your character without fear of retaliation.

I'm not quite sure what that has to do with what I was saying, I certainly wasn't attacking anyone's character. Anyway, stop whining.
Alisto wrote:
GusPatsy wrote:I would like a title that references something I don't get, and would take hours to figure out, eventually leaving me disappointed.

"Sex"

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:05 am UTC

Amicitia wrote:Actually, you should stop posting, since I'm friends with the moderators here, and thus can attack your character without fear of retaliation.

I'm pretty sure the mods don't play favorites. There's also enough of them to pretty much rule out a unified front of 'We like this person'.

/just sayin'

Like treat people the way that you want to be treated by them.

Doesn't work. Masochists for one.

I will make an experiment here. Say whether you see distinct difference between these two qualities.

I fail to see what this experiment will prove other than we have different words in the English language for different things.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:16 am UTC

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Hammer
Because all of you look like nails.

Postby Hammer » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:19 am UTC

You were having an interesting discussion before it got derailed. Please continue it. There's no need to stop and address those posts. Just work around them.
"What's wrong with you mathematicians? Cake is never a problem."

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:25 am UTC

Rerail:

The thing with the Internet is you have an abundance of anonymity. Things such as credentials or sources are less prevalent (except for situations where [citation needed]). Thus people like me can make blatant arguments without feeling threatened or awkward because no one can know how stupid I/we are.

Furthermore, anonymity allows for 'net rage. It's a lot easier to mouth off to someone when you know that there is very little chance that they can retaliate physically. In my opinion, this is partially why people who are younger can sometimes be so confrontational. Online, physical stature has no place which means one can be as verbally confrontational as one wants (perhaps on the same level as people in physical space) without fearing any sort of repercussion.

Ergo, there's not really much place for humility.
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

chaosspawn

Postby chaosspawn » Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:35 am UTC

Iori_Yagami wrote:Really, how could I have forgotten that no miracles exists. Technically gifted and logically thinking individuals have a tendency to be less open to thoughts about human qualities and vice versa.
Self-pity is not humbleness. Not even close to that. It is pure confusion of 'warm' for 'soft'.
I would not specifically say anything about my origin since that is exactly what is to be crucially avoided. Otherwise, it is introducing bias. What I am trying to get from the experiment is to confirm the presence of UNIVERSAL values.
Perhaps you don't mean it, but your post comes off as rather condescending to me. Might I suggest a whole practice what you preach philosophy here.

I see it as 1) good/bad is defined as favorable/unfavorable (in terms of social standing) 2)moral/immoral
So basically all this shows is that words can have different meanings based on context, hooray a dictionary told me that too.
I'm not certain it can confirm these universal values you are looking for. Also what if there are no universal values, what if there's only moral relativism?
Further, I disagree with the analogy you make good:bad::bravery:cowardice. After all Aristotle (IIRC) said that too much of an extreme was bad and used bravery and cowardice as his examples, and concluded that moderation was the true virtue.
This space intentionally left blank.

Iori_Yagami

Postby Iori_Yagami » Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:17 pm UTC

Well, universal (as I think of it) is set by human nature itself, and is not socially constructed. That sounds a lot like paradox, because people who are devoid of socium can no longer be humane. It becomes more understandible if you compare the time of existence of advanced society and the time of existence of humans as a race. Huge difference.
Secondly, words are words. ('Symbols' for decoding a message to be passed further to the recipient). Ideas and phenomena are real, despite the words. If you say something without meaning it, you lie. (or play fool (or ARE a fool)).
Braveness is not foolishness. Too much braveness becomes another thing. (Perhaps XKCDians should know the law of quantities transforming into qualities, which is one of the fundamental laws of universe). Let us leave the strength of the force alone, and focus rather on its direction.
Internet has a lot of impact on its users. I was very saddened by someone close to me, when she borrowed a lot of internet slang and attitude of 'superiority' from the 'net into ordinary life. I thought it should be vice versa, with your well-formed personality making an adequate avatar in the internet 'realm'. Unfortunately, I was mistaken. The very simple thing, called 'lack of responsibility' allows many to write things they would have never said aloud. And, the most important thing is not fear. I would not give a penny for the system which is based on fear. No, it is your inner judge. Have you ever experienced horrid feeling of doing badly, when you accidentally or intentionally somehow hurt someone? It is your inner judge, your 'superego' or 'parent' (as by Eric Berne). It is what keeps me from slaughter when I am deeply enraged or keeps me from jumping off bridge when I am in sorrow.

sarahnade
Sexiest Man on the Forum

Postby sarahnade » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:36 am UTC

I'm going to go ahead and skip over the beginning and the middle of what you just said, because I don't really know what you were trying to say. Sorry.

Iori_Yagami wrote:Internet has a lot of impact on its users. I was very saddened by someone close to me, when she borrowed a lot of internet slang and attitude of 'superiority' from the 'net into ordinary life. I thought it should be vice versa, with your well-formed personality making an adequate avatar in the internet 'realm'. Unfortunately, I was mistaken. The very simple thing, called 'lack of responsibility' allows many to write things they would have never said aloud. And, the most important thing is not fear. I would not give a penny for the system which is based on fear. No, it is your inner judge. Have you ever experienced horrid feeling of doing badly, when you accidentally or intentionally somehow hurt someone? It is your inner judge, your 'superego' or 'parent' (as by Eric Berne). It is what keeps me from slaughter when I am deeply enraged or keeps me from jumping off bridge when I am in sorrow.

NOTE: none of what I'm about to say applies to friends and family and people to have a vested interest in your life. This is mostly about (what I'm assuming you're also talking about) strangers on the internet.

My first thought is, there is a huge difference between the voice of self preservation ("Don't kill yourself. Stay alive instead.") and the voice that you're assuming everyone has that tells them lying is bad and honesty is good. Personally, I don't believe everyone has such a voice. I think the majority (if not the entirety) of the reason people don't do those "evil" things is fear. I know you'd like to believe it isn't, but think about it. If you see a really awesome car with the keys in the ignition, are you really thinking "The owner of this car will have a hard time getting to work everyday without it. I better not take it." Or are you thinking "Man, if I take this car, I'm not going to get one block before the police have me locked up."

Sure there are some exceptions. People who believe in something outside of themselves (religion, karma, etc) have a reason to be kind and "good". And, granted, there are some people in the world who just honestly care about everyone else and about being a "nice person". But they are few and far between.

What I'm not saying is people are always "evil" unless the have ulterior motives and will never do anything "good". People can and will be courteous and respectful when it suits them (or when it's just easier to do so). But what I am saying is that in general, people don't have an overriding reason to be nice to you or do "good" things. Especially over the internet where there is less fear. It's not like you can inflict physical harm on them from behind the computer screen, and it isn't likely that thoughtless words they say now are going to cause a major impact in the course of their lives.

Everything boils down to how seriously you take internet people.
Don't.
Ever.
Just laugh off the morons who like to put you down. You don't have to interact with them anymore than you want to. Ignore them. They aren't an integral part of your life (in most cases) and can be easily forgotten without a second thought. (It's admittedly harder to do this with the jerks you actually see on a regular basis in real life. But, it can be done.)

VannA
White

Postby VannA » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:40 am UTC

And, the most important thing is not fear. I would not give a penny for the system which is based on fear. No, it is your inner judge. Have you ever experienced horrid feeling of doing badly, when you accidentally or intentionally somehow hurt someone? It is your inner judge, your 'superego' or 'parent' (as by Eric Berne). It is what keeps me from slaughter when I am deeply enraged or keeps me from jumping off bridge when I am in sorrow.

Don't confuse the nature of fear.
It need not be so blatant.

I know you'd like to believe it isn't, but think about it. If you see a really awesome car with the keys in the ignition, are you really thinking "The owner of this car will have a hard time getting to work everyday without it. I better not take it." Or are you thinking "Man, if I take this car, I'm not going to get one block before the police have me locked up.

Strictly speaking, I'll think you'll find most people's thoughts are 'I better not take it, because I do not want somebody to take mine.'

Iori.. You skipped my point, and my question, earlier.

You are measuring things on an objective scale, or at least attempting to migrate your subjective views outwards.
While I would agree with your commentary on Lack of Responsibility, you appear to be hunting for alternative answers and motivations, because you are unwilling to accept the ones in front of you.

Fear is the motivator. It can be.. beaten, so to speak. But fear is the only motivator, in the end. That does not, UNLESS you choose to allow it, detract from the wonder and splendour of the world.

Even this, your search (and others') for an 'inner judge' is based on the fear that fear is it. Ironic, really.

LoopQuantumGravity

Postby LoopQuantumGravity » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:32 am UTC

First, I'm clearly totally humble. Both in real life and online. :D

Okita wrote:Rerail:

The thing with the Internet is you have an abundance of anonymity. Things such as credentials or sources are less prevalent (except for situations where [citation needed]). Thus people like me can make blatant arguments without feeling threatened or awkward because no one can know how stupid I/we are.

Furthermore, anonymity allows for 'net rage. It's a lot easier to mouth off to someone when you know that there is very little chance that they can retaliate physically. In my opinion, this is partially why people who are younger can sometimes be so confrontational. Online, physical stature has no place which means one can be as verbally confrontational as one wants (perhaps on the same level as people in physical space) without fearing any sort of repercussion.

Ergo, there's not really much place for humility.

People are just as stupid in real life, sadly. It's just easier for them to be stupid on the internet, since the internet is largely things like message boards.

I consistently have people who know nothing about science, argue with me about physics in real life, as I'm trying to read a paper, or am trying to discuss some string theory thing, or GR thing with a friend. Having clear, obvious qualifications has nothing to do with starting arguments for most people.

I just had an argument yesterday with someone trying to claim that US laws apply to people outside of the US. As in, if I'm in France, and commit a crime, the US can say "haha, we're throwing you in jail!" And also completely failed to understand the purpose of extradition... They also totally fail to understand the ideas behind international law, authority, and jurisdiction. And this is, in fact, a very common argument. I hear this just as often as the "I think quantum physics is wrong" argument.

The only argument I hear more often are the various "I think this is how politics/economics works" arguments. And people are just as stupid and arrogant and refuse to listen just as much as on the internet.

I think people just have the perception that it happens more on the internet because forums are for the purpose of "discussing," and because lots of people on the internet don't get out much and talk to people.
I study theoretical physics & strings, and am a recipient of the prestigious Jayne Cobb Hero of Canton award.

And the science gets done and you make a neat gun
For the people who are still alive!

Iori_Yagami

Postby Iori_Yagami » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:38 am UTC

I agree that 'net reflects soem part of society - like a central cut shows what's inside.
Still I find arrogance not always connected to ignorance - sometimes knowing people become really mean. Even the term 'cyber-bully' was invented, did you know?
I think knowledge can be different - it may be fundamental and occasional. To know Newton's laws is fundamental, it is everywhere. To know that car model xxx of year yyyy of producer zzzzzz zzz has wwwww attached to uuuuuu is very local and unimportant. Still, it may be used and abused - market players do it often.

zonk

Postby zonk » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:26 pm UTC

internet has a powerful power, yes, it makes people not care about other people, why? well because no one will ever know who you are
Chowder: Yes, umm, are you nuts? I don't wanna steal drugs from my Father, I don't wanna go inside a monster, and I don't wanna die!
Jenny: I say its worth a shot.
Chowder: Yes I agree. Let's do it.

VirtualVoid

Postby VirtualVoid » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:40 pm UTC

zonk wrote:internet has a powerful power, yes, it makes people not care about other people, why? well because no one will ever know who you are

Exactly. I believe this can be summarized as such:
John Gabriel's Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory wrote:Normal Person+Total Anonymity+Audience = TOTAL FUCKWAD

And what does he say?
John Gabriel's Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory wrote:Shitcock!

Seriously.

When people feel like they can say things without fear of (physical) retribution, people generally act like complete fucksticks. It's sad, but it's not unusual.
</post>

Iori_Yagami

Postby Iori_Yagami » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:01 pm UTC

Is it really so sad? Does anyone understand what all said means?
It means fear, fear, fear is holding you.
Fear is an external constraint. Remove it. What we have now? Why would you be a beast if you are human inside?

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:04 pm UTC

What's wrong with fear as a motivator? Keeps you from being eaten on the savanna, and whatnot.
Of course it can get out of hand, but fear serves us as much as it might limit us.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Iori_Yagami

Postby Iori_Yagami » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:07 pm UTC

I hope very very very much you are not serious.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:12 pm UTC

I don't see why it's such a bad thing. Granted, I sort of skipped some posts in the middle of the thread so I'm not sure how fear got into this discussion...but anyway, an example of fear doing good would my fear of failure motivating me into studying for a class that I hate. Without this fear, I wouldn't do any work at all.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Iori_Yagami

Postby Iori_Yagami » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:47 pm UTC

THAT is exactly what is sad.
I HATE all this new psychology gibberish about goals-shmoals, motivators-chmoozivators, ...
It is a cloak they put on something sinister.
I bet you all would not understand it, but lets pray it is for the better.
The sinister thing is: you don't have values. Real human values. Golden bull erodes your souls.
I can say about atrocities all day, and all what westernes will return me: 'So what is bad about it? We got used to it.'
I will fight for that does not happen to my country or at least, to me. You cannot buy me, golden bull.

In your particular situation it is uneasy to me to see people who do what they do not like to gain something completely unrelated. It is so unnatural and false, like lying. And failure can be only one - betrayal of human ideals. Everything other is system label. System has no soul, system is golden bull.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:52 pm UTC

Are you saying you don't have goals and motivations?
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Iori_Yagami

Postby Iori_Yagami » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:54 pm UTC

I do not believe in it. I do not believe anything that is told very often by many. It is advertisement. Always.
And hell NOOOOOOOOOO, I won't repeat everything as parrot.

Return to “General”