What is the perfect job?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Re: What is the perfect job?

Postby 22/7 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:22 am UTC

The problem is that GM does a lot of things with their workers that don't work out in the long run (for GM, that is). The town that's closest (and of decent size) to where I grew up is a perfect example of this. Back in the 50-early 80's, business was booming (basically until Honda, Toyota, Mazda, etc. got their collective foot in the door) and *everyone* was buying GM or Ford, and so they were paying *ridiculous* sums of money to the guys working the line. My last neighbor back home was making somewhere between $100,000 and $110,000 working on the line when he retired (at the age of 55) and he got 80% of that after retirement for something like the next 20 years. Do the math. That's right, he's making more than $80,000 a year and literally doing nothing to make them money. On top of that, he still gets a GM employee discount on all his GM vehicles. As does his family. The kicker, the guy never graduated from high school. Guy never actually got to high school. He finished 8th grade, worked a few odd jobs until he was 16 or 17 and then started on the line. This is why GM is in big, big trouble, and why they have outsourced a lot of jobs, and why that town is basically a ghost town now.
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Tisiphone

Postby Tisiphone » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:00 am UTC

I desire:

1) Hours that I can choose on a fairly spur-of-the-moment basis.
2) A nice paycheck, of course.
3) A tightknit group of people to work with, AKA working with friends.
4) Doing something interesting would rock, eg: NOT filing.
I'd love to have your cake and eat it too.

Amicitia

Postby Amicitia » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:20 am UTC

I think the perfect job is not earning less than a dollar a day in a developing country where flexible hours is the least of worries.
"OMIT NEEDLESS WORDS"
William Strunk, Jr.

wing
the /b/slayer

Postby wing » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:27 am UTC

1) TOP GEAR PRESENTER.

Okay, no, seriously. That would be awesome. But in the mean time...
1) I enjoy it
2) It pays the bills
3) Boss doesn't come equipped with super-ninja-assrape action
I AM A SEXY, SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:01 am UTC

Amicitia wrote:I think the perfect job is not earning less than a dollar a day in a developing country where flexible hours is the least of worries.

That's really more of a "not within the realm of worst-case-scenario" job. Perfect job would be ideal. From dictionary.com...

Ideal. noun.
1. a conception of something in its perfection.
2. a standard of perfection or excellence.
3. a person or thing conceived as embodying such a conception or conforming to such a standard, and taken as a model for imitation: Thomas Jefferson was his ideal.
4. an ultimate object or aim of endeavor, esp. one of high or noble character: He refuses to compromise any of his ideals.
5. something that exists only in the imagination: To achieve the ideal is almost hopeless.

So really, your example isn't applicable, unless you're telling me that you're paying for an internet cafe with your dollar a day wages in your third world country.

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Amicitia

Postby Amicitia » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:04 am UTC

22/7 wrote:
Amicitia wrote:I think the perfect job is not earning less than a dollar a day in a developing country where flexible hours is the least of worries.

That's really more of a "not within the realm of worst-case-scenario" job. Perfect job would be ideal. From dictionary.com...

Ideal. noun.
3. a person or thing conceived as embodying such a conception or conforming to such a standard, and taken as a model for imitation: Thomas Jefferson was his ideal.
4. an ultimate object or aim of endeavor, esp. one of high or noble character: He refuses to compromise any of his ideals.
5. something that exists only in the imagination: To achieve the ideal is almost hopeless.

So really, your example isn't applicable, unless you're telling me that you're paying for an internet cafe with your dollar a day wages in your third world country.

This isn't a math problem, try again.

[Edit] Everything not <1$ a day is 1$ a day? Amazing!
"OMIT NEEDLESS WORDS"

William Strunk, Jr.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:39 am UTC

Your description could apply equally to a crappy, menial janitorial position as much as it would to the ideal job, so unless your goal is to be pedantic, it wasn't exactly a great description.

Amicitia

Postby Amicitia » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:45 am UTC

I'm sure you know exactly what I think, so you can continue talking in my place. :wink:
"OMIT NEEDLESS WORDS"

William Strunk, Jr.

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:17 pm UTC

Amicitia wrote:I'm sure you know exactly what I think, so you can continue talking in my place. :wink:

I can't tell if you mean that he's mis-interpreting what you think or if you're seriously having a "GTFO my head" moment. But I would think that if he's mis-interpreting you, then while he may be an idiot for mis-interpreting, you are also equally responsible for articulating yourself better instead of expecting everyone to always understand your intentions.

That said, I suppose the perfect job would be doing what you love but getting financially compensated for it so that you can continue to do what you love. That's the criteria I think I would like to aim for anyway.
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

22/7

Postby 22/7 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:14 pm UTC

Amicitia wrote:
22/7 wrote:

Ideal. noun.

This isn't a math problem, try again.

[Edit] Everything not <1$ a day is 1$ a day? Amazing!

As snarky as that is, it doesn't actually have anything to do with what I said. Just as this
Amicitia wrote:I'm sure you know exactly what I think, so you can continue talking in my place. :wink:
doesn't have anything to do with what Hawk said here
Hawknc wrote:Your description could apply equally to a crappy, menial janitorial position as much as it would to the ideal job, so unless your goal is to be pedantic, it wasn't exactly a great description.

Care to actually elaborate on something?

Steroid wrote:
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

elminster

Postby elminster » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:49 pm UTC

Impossibly perfect: Being a god.
Realistically perfect: Unsure at the moment, but I've got a whole lot of game ideas and concepts in my head that I'd love to incorperate into a game. Getting paid a lot to play around with new technologies. Along side all the usual good job benifits and features.

Then again, I'm awfully lazy and probably have less job hours done in my life than 98% of the people I know. So, I don't know how I would perform in any of my ideal jobs. I do however own approximately 6% of a decent sized company (Although, it doesn't even remotely make up for the loss which I inherited off). Dividends as a source of income is pretty sweet.

Tisiphone

Postby Tisiphone » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:19 am UTC

My current conversation of the perfect job with my friend:

Her: The perfect job would be to get paid to have sex!
Me: That would be a prostitute.
Her: Well, I only want to have sex with clean, rich people, get paid a loads, and get to dress pretty, not like a hussy.
Me: That's a high-priced call girl, love.
Her: Hmmm... well, I want full benefits, flexible hours, and fun sex, none of that missionary shit, I want to be tied up!

Thus, we now have the perfect job. Oh, and we want to chose our people, like Inara Serra on Firefly. Actually could I just BE Inara Serra?
I'd love to have your cake and eat it too.

cacp

Postby cacp » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:45 am UTC

Tisiphone wrote:Her: Hmmm... well, I want full benefits, flexible hours, and fun sex, none of that missionary shit, I want to be tied up!

Aside question: Why does every girl wish to be tied up? It seems to be a consensus of most of my past girlfriends and my buddies girlfriends. I just don't get it.
My jaw is sore from yawning.

Benitosimies

Postby Benitosimies » Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:28 am UTC

Find out why that dang holodeck isn't opening.
хлэб и Воля

williamager

Postby williamager » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:14 am UTC

Bluggo wrote:I want a job that...
wait, that's already wrong, I don't want a job.

I want lots of money, a beautiful villa, and a fleet of Zeppelins ;-)

The perfect job is not having one...

I would actually consider this to be true from a certain perspective: I would like to be able to research the areas I am interested in, without relying on that activity for my livelihood, and without having set schedules or expectations. Such an arrangement probably wouldn't be considered a job in the traditional sense.

Gnophilist wrote:I had this discussion with one of the grads today.

"Step one: marry into money. Step two: learn for the rest of your life."

Sounds about right.

Step one can be much harder than it seems, and can interfere heavily with step two if one isn't careful and lucky. The lifestyle of the "idle" rich can often be quite hectic due to the number of complications that can arise, making the task of learning rather difficult.

Habanero wrote:I've tried joining the ranks of the idle rich, but they are not currently accepting resumes.

Of course not! Don't you know that trying to submit a résumé disqualifies you? You should destroy the document immediately and never mention its existence again.
Do I dare
Disturb the universe?
In a minute there is time
For decisions and revisions which a minute will reverse

Shadic

Postby Shadic » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:23 am UTC

I'd like to be a writer for a gaming magazine, but... They're going out of style fast it seems... So maybe a website.

Hell, if it was a website, there might be a chance that I could do it online, and that would be awesome. But.. I'd probably have to go into the office to get to see any of the fancy awesome stuff that the gaming sites get early. :|

Brandon Oto
treefucker

Postby Brandon Oto » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:01 am UTC

Nobody's going to mention Google?

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:43 am UTC

Gelsamel wrote:Playing video games for a living.

• Quality Assurance Tester

http://www.redtribe.com/jobs.html

You could always try >.>

Anyway, my perfect job: one where I work on videogames, with actual input on the game rather than just coding or making art assets, but not complete control, and I can work at any hours as long as I work for long enough each week (if I work at night I'll never need air conditioning anyway), and with good food services nearby including a coffee machine, fridge and microwave in the building near where I work. Also it has a good but not overwhelmingly high salary. Also, preferably theres lots of random excitement due to cool but insane coworkers.

Also, just to be clear, the post above reminded me that this should be Google games: Australia.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

enkrypt

Postby enkrypt » Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:34 pm UTC

Absolutely critical:
* as much freedom as I require
* no fixed work hours, no minimum amount of work hours, no obligations of this kind
* salary goes up and down according to my productivity
* free choice of projects to do

Less critical:
* preferably a telecommute job (I hate driving a car, and I love being at home)
* not too much human contact, and if it must, let them be technical, not dummy customers

Thats about it.
I've recently graduated in computer science, and I'm an INTJ personality (which should make my preferences quite a bit more obvious ;))

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:38 am UTC

1) Travel. Where I am sucks a fair amount, and I'd love to spend time in all those "Nice place to visit, but you wouldn't want to live there" places.
2) Expense Account.
3) Technical job.

I'm thinking penetration tester. You get to go to the clients, try to break into their systems, give them a report on how it went, and collect a pretty decent check. Anyone here hiring?
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:18 am UTC

Torvaun wrote:I'm thinking penetration tester. You get to go to the clients, try to break into their systems, give them a report on how it went, and collect a pretty decent check. Anyone here hiring?

No, but Marcus J. Ranum would like to have a word with you.

I really have no idea what my dream job would be yet. I have little ideas, but they keep replacing each other as I try to write one down.

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:33 pm UTC

Hmm, just looking at his About page says that he's the chief of security for Tenable. Pretty sure that's a little bit above where my experience can get me right now. Got an intermediate step somewhere?
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:58 pm UTC

Heh, I guess that was a little misleading.

He really, really doesn't like penetration testing. I can try to find a specific article or something later (I know his podcast episodes [there are only 3] talk about it).

wing
the /b/slayer

Postby wing » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:50 pm UTC

I talked to a guy at Mapquest's B2B office. I think I've found my dream job, guys. His description of a typical day as a software engineer went something like

"Real quick 15 minute scrum meeting in the morning. Tell everyone what you're working on and what you might need help with. If you're done, pick a new task. Whatever you want to do, so long as it's on the board. Offer people help if you can. Break out and do it. And then at lunchtime, we shoot each other in the face. (UT Classic. The whole damned office.) Then go back to programming stuff. Then go home."

And their technology platform is an exact cross-section of my experience. And their development methodology is my personal favorite of everything I've ever tried. It's winnitude. I'm SO applying.
I AM A SEXY, SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.

Return to “General”