Do you lie?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Do you lie? Please read post before voting.

I don't lie at all
32
9%
Bald faced lies
41
11%
Lies by omission
103
27%
Lies to children
12
3%
White lies
59
16%
Emergency lies
38
10%
Jocose lies
90
24%
 
Total votes: 375

eXS
Posts: 74
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:55 am UTC

Re: Do you lie?

Postby eXS » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:42 am UTC

ThorFluff wrote:I should move to amsterdam and become a prostitutional economics advisor... Could be a fun line of work.


This job is sometimes called being a Pimp. Its mostly frowned upon.
Insert witty signature here and i will beat you.

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students
Posts: 4399
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:47 am UTC
Location: The Daily Bugle

Re: Do you lie?

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:47 am UTC

ThorFluff: Do you constantly accuse strangers of "playa hatin'"? If so, you may already be a pimp.
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

User avatar
Yummy Tree Sap
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:48 am UTC
Location: Quite frankly, I do not remember.
Contact:

Re: Do you lie?

Postby Yummy Tree Sap » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:47 am UTC

JayDee wrote:How is a lie better than saying nothing?


I can think of a couple situations in which I believe telling a lie is better than saying nothing. I wrote a post, one that was somewhat lengthy, and then I realized that I hated it. Maybe it's because it's closing in on six o'clock in the morning and my brain is not functioning, or maybe it's because I cannot think of examples in which are not of a personal nature to myself.

Either way, I do feel that there are situations in which a lie is perfectly reasonable. Whether or not I get around to explaining myself is another situation altogether. I probably won't, because I seemingly don't know how to write anymore.
Hi, love!

User avatar
davef
NomNomNommin' the Rockenclature!
Posts: 1767
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:56 pm UTC
Location: The Ice Pit!
Contact:

Re: Do you lie?

Postby davef » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:27 pm UTC

Slight hijack, but while you're on the subject of lying...
Ciúnas, bóthar, cailín, bainne.

User avatar
westcydr
Posts: 156
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:20 pm UTC
Location: By my computer
Contact:

Re: Do you lie?

Postby westcydr » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:25 pm UTC

Here is a question:
Lets say I am sitting with a girl I just met, and she is smokin hot... she is talking, and I am spacing out, thinking of naughty things involving her.. not things I expect to do, or even hope to do, just random thoughts.. she asks me what I am thinking...
DO you really think I should tell her the truth? Is there any person that SHOULD tell the truth ALL THE TIME, with no omissions? Are we even allowed to tell the truth all the time?
I know for a fact that I would be committing crimes if I told the truth all the time. Just in the action of doing it. Does anyone else have these thoughts?
---------------------------
ICQ/AIM 5683738
יששכר
"Who needs a quote in a signature, anyways?"

User avatar
Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance
Posts: 30450
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:04 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Do you lie?

Postby Belial » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:29 pm UTC

Just say "nothing relevant". You aren't conveying any false impressions (Because what you were thinking *wasn't* relevant), nor are you telling her anything blatantly untrue. But neither are you offending her.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.


They/them

User avatar
Torvaun
Posts: 2615
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:23 pm UTC
Location: 47°9′S, 126°43′W
Contact:

Re: Do you lie?

Postby Torvaun » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:35 pm UTC

You're probably conveying the impression that you've been ignoring her. Some people find that to be offensive, in my experience.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

User avatar
the Cow
Today India, tomorrow the world!
Posts: 2199
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:40 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Do you lie?

Postby the Cow » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:02 pm UTC

westcydr wrote:Here is a question:
Lets say I am sitting with a girl I just met, and she is smokin hot... she is talking, and I am spacing out, thinking of naughty things involving her... Does anyone else have these thoughts?


About the smoking hot girl you are describing? No. Never. Pause. What thread is this again?
...the whim of a hat.

User avatar
westcydr
Posts: 156
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:20 pm UTC
Location: By my computer
Contact:

Re: Do you lie?

Postby westcydr » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:06 pm UTC

the Cow wrote:
westcydr wrote:Here is a question:
Lets say I am sitting with a girl I just met, and she is smokin hot... she is talking, and I am spacing out, thinking of naughty things involving her... Does anyone else have these thoughts?


About the smoking hot girl you are describing? No. Never. Pause. What thread is this again?

Nice edit...
---------------------------
ICQ/AIM 5683738
יששכר
"Who needs a quote in a signature, anyways?"

User avatar
westcydr
Posts: 156
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:20 pm UTC
Location: By my computer
Contact:

Re: Do you lie?

Postby westcydr » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:08 pm UTC

Belial wrote:Just say "nothing relevant". You aren't conveying any false impressions (Because what you were thinking *wasn't* relevant), nor are you telling her anything blatantly untrue. But neither are you offending her.

If you say you were spacing out, even when true, it can be taken as offensive... So you say tell the truth no matter who you offend?
---------------------------
ICQ/AIM 5683738
יששכר
"Who needs a quote in a signature, anyways?"

User avatar
Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance
Posts: 30450
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:04 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Do you lie?

Postby Belial » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:17 pm UTC

If I space out when someone's talking to me? Yeah, I say I spaced out for a moment there. Usually, I will justify this by saying I'm tired or mentally burned out.

This isn't a lie because, when people are talking to me, I don't space out unless I'm tired or mentally burned out. If you avoid doing needlessly offensive things, it obviates the need to lie to cover up doing needlessly offensive things.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.


They/them

User avatar
Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!
Posts: 11265
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 9:16 pm UTC
Location: Prince George In A Can
Contact:

Re: Do you lie?

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:19 pm UTC

I space out constantly when I am talking to people. I'm either distracted by a shiny object, or a random thought, or I briefly fall asleep, or I have a seizure... whatever it is, I just say "Sorry, I zoned out there for a second, what did you say?" Seems to work. Everyone treats me like that guy from Rainman, it's sweet.

User avatar
Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance
Posts: 30450
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:04 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Do you lie?

Postby Belial » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:22 pm UTC

Oh. Yeah. Shiny things. I forgot shiny things.

But that presents its own excuses. "Sorry, I zoned out, but look at that awesome piece of metal..."

Or "Sorry, I don't mean to interrupt, but you totally need to see this cool thing going on over there..."
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.


They/them

User avatar
Seven
Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix Zero-One
Posts: 1964
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:05 am UTC
Location: Classified

Re: Do you lie?

Postby Seven » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:27 pm UTC

I am almost always distracted by shiny objects. Especially when out walking. Conversation with my friend vaporizes and I have to go see what that shiny thing is.

Other than that, zoning out in conversations? Sinus pressure alone can make me do that. I can tell when I've forgotten to take my antihistamine when I space out mid-sentence..... gah.

User avatar
King
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:36 am UTC
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: Do you lie?

Postby King » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:07 pm UTC

Man shiny things are the best.

Every kind, all the time, sometimes for personal gain, sometimes for privacy, sometimes to help people, very often just because i get into the habit. I also often end up pretending not to remember things, which someone said earlier, and that one really annoys me. At least its nice to know I'm not alone.

I find I have no problems doing this because I really don't care about most people, and I just want to grease the wheels and get by, which I do very well. The only time I stop lying is when I'm with someone I really care about and respect, and all of a sudden I'll be perfectly and painfully honest. Thank god I can manage to always get it the right was round, or things would be disasterous.
Yesterday never was, and tomorrow never will be.

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26531
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Do you lie?

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:23 pm UTC

Interesting.. shiny isn't so attention grabbing for me... but rusty, on the other hand...

I swear, I'm a bad weekend away from becoming Salad Fingers.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
Shadic
Posts: 500
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:54 pm UTC
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact:

Re: Do you lie?

Postby Shadic » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:16 am UTC

No.

Err.. I voted for lies by omission, and jocose lies. Lying for the hell of it (As a joke) can be funny, but only really when you've got a few people along that can catch onto what you're doing. And I've left out details quite a few times.

User avatar
Gelsamel
Lame and emo
Posts: 8237
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:49 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Re: Do you lie?

Postby Gelsamel » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:11 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Interesting.. shiny isn't so attention grabbing for me... but rusty, on the other hand...

I swear, I'm a bad weekend away from becoming Salad Fingers.


Oooh memories....
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Sableagle and 39 guests