"Coffee Shop" / Quantum Cafe

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Seven
Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix Zero-One

"Coffee Shop" / Quantum Cafe

Postby Seven » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:45 pm UTC

Not a 'game'. This is just a place to "be" in action. No special characters or powers.... just us.
[edit] This seems to have become much more sci-fi than originally planned. Long live The RED DRAGON INN ! !

Picture a coffee shop with the usual espresso stand, tables/chairs, couches, reading material... and a gazebo/patio for those who want to be outside. There's wi-fi and all the modern amenities.

::Walks in. Orders a Chai-tea latte with soy milk, no foam. Finds an indoor table next to a sunny window and takes a book out of her bag... and settles in with her tea.::
Ahhh... I love this place. ::glances around::

Oh, and there's an indoor ballpit, an adjoining room with a huge stone fireplace, big comfy couches and soft fuzzy rugs, book shelves, etc. ((Were did that Raptor-head trophy come from?)) ...a subterranean ball sea, deep sea station, ballmarines, scientific tests and Epic Adventures, a Transporter, and Portals.......

((An NPC [non-player character] is serving coffee.))
Spoiler:
OOC is fine and necessary at times - how 'bout we spoiler it if it's long, so it doesn't interfere... If it's not long, like a few words or short sentence, we could use double-parens.
I started the thread, but it's not "my" coffee shop - it is what you make it. :D
Last edited by Seven on Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:06 pm UTC, edited 8 times in total.

upstreamcurrent

Re: "Coffee Shop" hangout RP

Postby upstreamcurrent » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:54 pm UTC

::Walks in. Orders a plain black coffee. Nods hello to Seven. Finds a comfortable chair and pulls out a copy of “Hard Times” to get caught up on the reading before class.::

Will
There are about a million things I can do from behind

Postby Will » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:57 pm UTC

*Walks in, orders some tea, settles into the ballpit with laptop*
Meaux_Pas: Is it fucking Taint Sunday or something?
liza: Screw y'all, I'm going to the moon

Seven

Postby Seven » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:00 pm UTC

::Waves to upstreamcurrent. Observes Will with an amused smile. Decides to get something to eat and goes to the counter, orders a blueberry scone.::

Mmmm, Pi

Postby Mmmm, Pi » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:01 pm UTC

*Walks in, orders a hot chocolate and sits down at a table and starts reading* Thought I'd finally get started on the first book of the Wheel of Time, which I've had kicking about for a while now.
Mercy wrote:Since this is for everything fora, I'd just like to express my fondness of @trophy's and Mmmm, Pi's avatars. You adorable demons. <3

Pi is still tasty.

Aluminus

Postby Aluminus » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:02 pm UTC

*orders one extra-large chocolate milk with a straw, and a macadamia nut cookie.*
*sits near the front of the shoppe, lookin' out the window*
*wonders when the ball pit will become host to a wrestling match*
fyrenwater wrote:Oh dear God, I just imagined this horrible scenario of a psychotic non-people-person running around, trying to steal the people-person section of people-peoples' brains to implant into their own brain.

Seven

Postby Seven » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:06 pm UTC

::Nibbles her scone. Enjoying the rustling sounds around her as the coffee shop fills with people.::

Aluminus

Postby Aluminus » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:09 pm UTC

Question: What happens when the shoppe fills with people? Does it overflow, or is it infinite in size? If it's an infinitely large coffee shoppe, then is there an infinite supply of coffee? Of ball pit-balls?
fyrenwater wrote:Oh dear God, I just imagined this horrible scenario of a psychotic non-people-person running around, trying to steal the people-person section of people-peoples' brains to implant into their own brain.

Katastrophy

Postby Katastrophy » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:09 pm UTC

*orders a hot chocolate and sits down near Pi*

I heard Wheel of Time was pretty... bad. Supposedly, it starts out amazing, and it's a brilliant book, but it eventually bogs down until around book 7 you realize they didn't do anything through the book. And then it gets worse. Also, that the female characters do little other than smooth their dresses, twirl their hair, or look in the mirror.

Tell me if it's better than that though, I haven't actually read it because of all the flax I heard.
~Kat

upstreamcurrent

Postby upstreamcurrent » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:11 pm UTC

::Waves to mmm, pi, then walks over to join him and katastrophy:: Great series, but you might want to wait to start it until we find out if or when the last book will be released. I know I'm going to have to re-read the whole thing again if or when they release the last book.

Kat, I enjoyed the books but you're right about it bogging down. I believe that book 7 was a 900 page prologue to book 8. As to the female characters, they get better towards the end, while the men level off and become annoying. If I were to graph it, I'd say the enjoyability of the characters by gender flips around book 9, with the ladies being more enjoyable to hear about then the men.

zingmaster

Postby zingmaster » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:15 pm UTC

*enters, orders a hot chai tea, and sits next to Seven*

'Sup?
You get 500 xp.
You collect:
1 :lol: HOBO BONUS :lol:
1 :idea: CHAOS BONUS :idea:
1 rusty dagger

Hold on Dreamaway
You're my sweet charade

inecather

Postby inecather » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:18 pm UTC

*Enters, orders Hot Chocolate (complete with lid), jumps into ball pit, starts throwing random balls around at people (carefull not to spill anyones tea/coffee/chocolate)*

Aluminus

Postby Aluminus » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:21 pm UTC

Aluminus wrote:So no one told you life was gonna be...

Stuck in second...

Do we have a karaoke thread?
Moo wrote:I love karaoke. However, I hate you Aluminus - I've got the bloody Friends song stuck in my head now. I just caught myself singing it - luckily I was in the kitchen so none of my colleagues were around!

*jumps up on stage and begins belting out some serious tunage*
Crank it to 11! [cue rockstar emoticon] \m/

Mmmm, Pi

Postby Mmmm, Pi » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:21 pm UTC

Knowing how long it takes me to read fiction at the moment, I wouldn't be surprised if by the time I got to the end of the books as they stand now, they will have released/done what they are going to with the last book.
Mercy wrote:Since this is for everything fora, I'd just like to express my fondness of @trophy's and Mmmm, Pi's avatars. You adorable demons. <3

Pi is still tasty.

Katastrophy

Postby Katastrophy » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:26 pm UTC

Waiting for the last book would be a brilliant idea, actually. I'll probably wait til then if I ever do start it. Goodness knows I've been kicking myself for starting a Shannara series before they were all out. G.R.R.M. is worth waiting for though.

I could also try reading up to book 7 and then just stopping and Wiki'ing the rest. Hmm... Maybe I should figure out who actually owns the books first, I think my mom only has half the series.
~Kat

Angelene
relax, I'll handle the zippers

Postby Angelene » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:29 pm UTC

*wanders in, looks around, sits in corner with tea, listens intently to surrounding conversation, grows disheartened at current content, zones out and watches people passing by the window*
"Some people need a red carpet rolled out in front of them in order to walk forward into friendship. They can't see the tiny outstretched hands all around them, everywhere, like leaves on trees."

upstreamcurrent

Postby upstreamcurrent » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:36 pm UTC

I'm not familiar with Shannara or G.R.R.M., care to enlighten a poor lost soul?

As for the WoT books, I'd check a library. That's what I did the first time, though I've since purchased all but the most recent book.

Aluminus

Postby Aluminus » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:37 pm UTC

*serenades Cara with Monty Python's Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life*

Robin S

Postby Robin S » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:38 pm UTC

*walks in; drags thoughts away from abstract wanderings*

I'm feeling seasonal. They do gingerbread lattes here, right? I'll have your biggest size, with cream on top.

*looks around for a place to sit*
This is a placeholder until I think of something more creative to put here.

Mmmm, Pi

Postby Mmmm, Pi » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:41 pm UTC

Aluminus wrote:*serenades Cara with Monty Python's Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life*

Joins in, if that's OK. I really like that song.

Pi is still tasty.

d3adf001

Postby d3adf001 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:44 pm UTC

i dont drink coffee or goto coffeeshops, but i would go to the ball pit, but not with my laptop. i would bring a battery powered fonera tho and set up a rogue ap...

Angelene
relax, I'll handle the zippers

Postby Angelene » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:46 pm UTC

*is blushing from being serenaded* Offers to buy the minstrels beverages of their choice in payment?
"Some people need a red carpet rolled out in front of them in order to walk forward into friendship. They can't see the tiny outstretched hands all around them, everywhere, like leaves on trees."

Robin S

Postby Robin S » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:50 pm UTC

[OOC]
d3adf001 wrote:[...]i would[...]
OOC is frowned upon.[/OOC][/irony]

Mmmm, Pi

Postby Mmmm, Pi » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:52 pm UTC

CaraInFrames wrote:*is blushing from being serenaded* Offers to buy the minstrels beverages of their choice in payment?

A cup of builders tea would be good. The stuff that comes in a chipped mug and is orange and has so many sugars in that the spoon stands up in it.

Pi is still tasty.

Aluminus

Postby Aluminus » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:53 pm UTC

I already have a chocolate milk, but thanks graciously. I offer my talents for free.
*open source serenade* sweet deal

Savoy_Truffle

Postby Savoy_Truffle » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:55 pm UTC

::Meanders in, orders a warm Earl Grey, mixes it with lots of milk and sugar, and heads out to the patio to chill for a while::
Lux, Calida, Gravis que Pura velut aurum et canunt angeli moliter modo natum.

Katastrophy

Postby Katastrophy » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:56 pm UTC

upstreamcurrent wrote:I'm not familiar with Shannara or G.R.R.M., care to enlighten a poor lost soul?

As for the WoT books, I'd check a library. That's what I did the first time, though I've since purchased all but the most recent book.

Libraries enforce time limits though, lately my reading habits have been really sporadic. I'm sure I have a half dozen books on the go, somewhere.

The Shannara series was written by Terry Brooks, ages ago. (By ages I mean I read them 10 years ago and they weren't new then.) I believe the initial series went Sword of Shannara, Elfstones of Shannara, Wishsong of Shannara, and that trilogy was the best of the lot (in my opinion). They get a bit of critism for being too much like LotR, though I don't see the connection much except that they're both epic fantasy with elves and dwarves. They're pretty typical fantasy stuff. Young boy learns from mysterious druid that he's destined to save the land from a great evil, and sets out on an epic journey with a party of friends to fulfill destiny. Next in the series fall along similar lines, the idea being that after epic journey number 1, the rest of the bloodline also gets slotted into hero roles whenever the need arises. By book three, they also get infused with magic that also follows the bloodline. There's been 3-4 trilogies after the initial one, all featuring someone from this bloodline. They're pretty good, as far as generic high fantasy goes. Used to be my favourite series, but I think I've read too much fantasy now to not see how stereotypical they are. Still, they do the stereotypes well.

George R. R. Martin is the writer of the series "A song of fire and ice". This is now easily my absolute favourite series. It's currently got 4 books out, starting with A Game of Thrones. Which, basically, the series is. It's a fantasy world, very low magic, with wierd seasons (summer can last years, winter can last decades). There's a dozen different houses within the one main kingdom, and most of the book is about the political intrigue and wars between them. Anyone can die in the series, even the people who are "good" which leaves you wondering how it'll all turn out. Along with killing off the people you're rooting for, GRRM has a tendency of taking the characters you hate and showing them in a light which makes you start rooting for them instead. Each chapter is basically written from a different person's perspective, so you see a single event from all different angles. Not to mention that when you get away from the political war in the castle and the actual wars on the battlefield, there's two other storylines involving invading monsters in the north and two children on a different continent who are the rightful hiers to the throne and are assembling a rebellion.
~Kat

Aluminus

Postby Aluminus » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:57 pm UTC

It just hit me:
Who is behind the counter serving the coffee?

inecather

Postby inecather » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:58 pm UTC

Aluminus wrote:It just hit me:
Who is behind the counter serving the coffee?

robots

Shizo

Postby Shizo » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:04 pm UTC

::comes in, places a MacBook on the floor near the entrance, orders coffee with shots of espresso, sits in seat near the entrance to watch the macBook::

libellule

Postby libellule » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:09 pm UTC

::walks in, looks around, wonders why nobody drinks yummy pure coffee anymore, spots Shizo and steals his Shot in the Dark while he's busy gazing at his MacBook::

Robin S

Postby Robin S » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:11 pm UTC

*glances repeatedly between Shizo, libellule and macBook, wearing a somewhat puzzled expression*

upstreamcurrent

Postby upstreamcurrent » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:18 pm UTC

Those sound pretty intersting. I might have to check one or both of them out as soon as I'm finished with all the reading for this class. I've been meaning to do more reading, but I haven't found anything to really strike me recently.

Seven

Postby Seven » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:39 pm UTC

((An NPC [non-player character] is serving coffee.))
Spoiler:
OOC is fine and necessary at times - how 'bout we spoiler it, if it's long, so it doesn't interfere? If it's not long, like a few words or short sentence, we could use double-parens.

@Aluminus
Spoiler:
Aluminus wrote:Question: What happens when the shoppe fills with people? Does it overflow, or is it infinite in size? If it's an infinitely large coffee shoppe, then is there an infinite supply of coffee? Of ball pit-balls?
This place is pretty much anything you want it to be. Unlimited room, endless food & drinks, open all hours, etc. etc....

::looks up from her reading, realizes she's lost track of time. Grins at zingmaster.::

Aluminus

Postby Aluminus » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:47 pm UTC

Spoiler:
What would OoC consist of in this context? I thought we were all playing *as* ourselves, so how can we be OoC?
Aw forget it, I just realized what she meant.

*brushes cookie crumbs from his manly stubble*

Rat
Rattus Trolleri

Postby Rat » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:48 pm UTC

:sees coffee shop.... drives past:

Robin S

Postby Robin S » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:51 pm UTC

*pointing at Rat's car, to no-one in particular*

Do you know, that's the first car that's driven by this place without stopping since I got here. Anyone else find that a little strange?

Seven

Postby Seven » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:53 pm UTC

::to Robin S:: Maybe it's lost....

::to zingmaster:: So, what's this about a story you're writing? A fantasy RP you call it?
Last edited by Seven on Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:59 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Robin S

Postby Robin S » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:58 pm UTC

That's a point. Maybe someone should go out and offer to give directions. Anyone? No... looks like that'll be me then.

*finishes coffee and wanders out to the front, looking lonesome*

Aluminus

Postby Aluminus » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:01 pm UTC

*puts on a sandwich board with a sign on it saying:
Coffee Shoppe Extraordinaire This-A-Way =>
*steps outside to cheer up Robin S*

Return to “General”