Hair length

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

How long is your hair?

I'm a man, and it's short.
22%
I'm a man, and it's long.
21%
I'm a man, and it's somewhere in-between.
29%
I'm a man, and it doesn't exist.
0%
I'm a woman, and it's short (for a woman).
1%
I'm a woman, and it's long.
8%
I'm a woman, and it's somewhere in-between.
14%
I'm a woman, and it doesn't exist.
No votes
This poll is stupid and the creator doesn't deserve life.
4%

Total votes: 218

Twasbrillig
Tawsbirlig

Re: Hair length

Postby Twasbrillig » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:08 am UTC

My hair is just to my eyebrows at the front, and about 4 inches above my shoulders at the back. I really like how it's styled right now, I think it looks kind of indie or whatever. I'd post a picture, but I'm having a bit of an acne breakout right now.
I want to have Bakemaster's babies. It's possible, with science.

I wonder if you can see...
...what is wrong with my signature?

wing wrote:I'm sorry... But that was THE funniest thing I've ever read on the interbutts.

xyzzy
Meta-Titled

Postby xyzzy » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:49 pm UTC

scowdich wrote:I like to keep my hair short, because it requires little care other than an approximately-monthly shearing with a beard trimmer. It also gives me the opportunity to tell just about everyone that they "look like a damn hippie".

Heh. I'd take that as a compliment.

As for my hair, it's just starting to creep past my shoulders. So by the standard we tend to be using here, I'm male/[(mid)|(long)].

Give at another few months and I'll have it nicely between my shoulderblades.
"Wile E. Coyote was a theoretical mathematician." - Leliel
"Modern life can be so boring without elements of the bizarre or the fantastical. Hence, we have steampunk." - Me

Robin S

Postby Robin S » Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:03 pm UTC

I voted "somewhere in-between". I like my hair reasonably long; in recent years I have had it cut once or twice a year, but that was because my parents insisted on it for certain occasions (like university interviews, if I remember correctly). I'm interested to see how long I can grow it before people I know start to comment on it. Probably not more than a year or so - it starts to obscure my eyes, because not getting it cut means not getting the fringe cut.
This is a placeholder until I think of something more creative to put here.

tessuraea
Not Phallic Enough

Postby tessuraea » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:40 pm UTC

I'm a woman, and I need another poll option, because people with much less hair than I have are answering "long." :)

I have a lot of hair conversations with strangers. It's not *that* long--some people have longer--but I can sit on it. It's straight, brown, has a blue or teal streak in it, and reaches the bottom of my butt.

My husband has gorgeous, thick, black, curly hair down to the middle of his back. It would be long on a woman and is very long on a man. I like it. :)
This is not a reference to anyone's junk.

Tractor

Postby Tractor » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:05 pm UTC

I am male, and my hair is currently down to somewhere in the middle of my back.
Before I graduated, I'd had it anywhere from buzzed to just a few inches long, but stopped cutting my hair a few years ago (got lazy and wanted to see what it would do. The afro was one of the more interesting stages).
scowdich wrote:I like to keep my hair short, because it requires little care other than an approximately-monthly shearing with a beard trimmer. It also gives me the opportunity to tell just about everyone that they "look like a damn hippie".

Yeah, that's one benefit of short hair, little/no maintenance. As far as hippies go, I use the hippie insult all the time despite the hair. It works better sometimes with the dash of irony.
9 x 6 = 42

Note: Randall kicks ass.

chaosspawn

Postby chaosspawn » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:14 pm UTC

I'm with the Scowdich philosophy on this issue (less the hippies, it's usually commie-mutant-traitors): Short because it's so damn easier this way.

I've let it get kinda long before (well not long but in-between-ish), then my head just turns into a mop. I generally keep it short enough that I don't really need to do anything to keep from looking like a mess.
This space intentionally left blank.

jepleure

Postby jepleure » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:21 pm UTC

Female, long hair. As in almost down to my butt.
Other than a much-needed trim, I have no plans to cut my hair. It's a pain to contend with such massive amounts of hair, but I love it. I look funny with shorter-than-shoulder-length hair. Really. :o
And I can't dye it because (1)It would be too expensive to dye the massive amount of hair I have--even with home kits (2)My hair is mostly red, but the under-layers are pale blonde/silver/white/grey (seriously...it's weird as all get-out) all without the assistance of any sort of hair dye, and most of the colors I like don't work on pale hair. So if I dyed my hair a color I liked it would look AWFUL and (3)most of the people in my town would probably kill me if I dyed my hair. :lol:
Small dancing tuna on my head oh my

i like pi

Postby i like pi » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:18 pm UTC

you should have put an option for "mohawks"
because it was not on there, you do not deserve life
Or something to that effect. Hell, I don't know.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:19 am UTC

The Sleeping Tyrant wrote:Male and long. Mid-back length, and I'm going to keep growing it.
I get lots of people asking me when I'm going to cut my hair which really pisses me off. I don't see why they feel they need to know, or they believe I would answer them even if I were going to get it cut (because it's generally people in the negatives on my like-o-meter).

The next best question is "how long are you going to let it get?" I do not even know what that is supposed to mean.
I also get "how long have you been growing it out for?" all the damn time.
The average person's hair grows about half an inch per month, my hair is a little over 3 feet long, that's about 6 years. The summer befor 8th grade I got it cut to shoulder length and haven't gotten more than a trim since then. It is now just past my pants pockets.
and of course "so are you thinking about donating it?" no.
however that is why I cut it six years ago.

Long hair is way sexy.
Do you guys with long hair ever braid it fancy, or pin it up?

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:45 pm UTC

TST and ceph have between them outlined the most annoying questions I've been asked in the last year or two. I'm growing it because I want to. I'll let it get long enough for me to not want it any longer. Yes, it does take ages to wash/dry, compared to shorter styles. No, I'm not going to cut it off, no, seriously... come at me with those scissors and you can kiss goodbye to the use of your wrists for a few months... &c.
hermaj wrote:No-one. Will. Be. Taking. Cheese's. Spot.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Cheese is utterly correct on all fronts.
SecondTalon wrote:That thing that Cheese just said. Do that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I hereby disagree and declare Cheese to be brilliant.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:00 pm UTC

I get my hair cut twice yearly, so it goes between short and shaggy. I must have gotten my last one late (usually I do it around the new year and end of June) because I don't think it's going to be very shaggy at all by Christmas.

Also, I liked this place better when Otter/Duck was cool.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:02 pm UTC

Otter/duck is kinda cool, but there's not much point in putting an 'other' option when all the basic choices regarding hair length are given. I've been told before that the 'otter' option was, in cases like this, implying that 'this is a stupid poll', so I've just asked if I'm a stupid poll starter.
hermaj wrote:No-one. Will. Be. Taking. Cheese's. Spot.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Cheese is utterly correct on all fronts.
SecondTalon wrote:That thing that Cheese just said. Do that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I hereby disagree and declare Cheese to be brilliant.

Stief

Postby Stief » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:34 pm UTC

My hair is rather long....the fringe goes to my chin, and the bottom of it reaches my collarbone...

But this is only when My hair is straight, right now (and every other day of every year) it's insanely curly ^_^
bbctol wrote:There is a term for what you have created. I believe it is "Dude- that shit is EPIC."

Teknobo wrote:Seriously, try flying down the street in Need for Speed while listening to the bicycle theme from Pokémon. It's beyond fantastic.

Flying Betty

Postby Flying Betty » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:41 pm UTC

cephalopod9 wrote:
The Sleeping Tyrant wrote:Male and long. Mid-back length, and I'm going to keep growing it.
I get lots of people asking me when I'm going to cut my hair which really pisses me off. I don't see why they feel they need to know, or they believe I would answer them even if I were going to get it cut (because it's generally people in the negatives on my like-o-meter).

The next best question is "how long are you going to let it get?" I do not even know what that is supposed to mean.
The average person's hair grows about half an inch per month, my hair is a little over 3 feet long, that's about 6 years. The summer befor 8th grade I got it cut to shoulder length and haven't gotten more than a trim since then. It is now just past my pants pockets.
and of course "so are you thinking about donating it?"

Yep, I've heard all of that before. You forgot the part where they say "I used to have really long hair, but I got tired of it and chopped it off." Because I definitely care about the hairstyle that a stranger/vague acquaintance had 8 years ago.

Re Locks of Love: I dislike them for two reasons. One is that they don't give wigs for little kids with cancer. Yes, it is actually pointed out on their website that they mainly deal with alopecia but they don't do a damn thing to not have other people market them as such. The other one is that their main way of getting donations is by encouraging groups to pester, harass, and guilt people into cutting their hair for them. I despise being harassed and my hair length (and charitable contributions for that matter) is no one's business, so if some day I were to possibly cut my hair Locks of Love sure as hell wouldn't get it.
Belial wrote:The future is here, and it is cyberpunk as hell.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:06 pm UTC

There needs to be a nice way to say "mind your own dang body parts".

Although, my favorite is when people say "you have really long hair" and leave it at that. Um, yes. I do.

How many of you 29 men and 12 women with long hair know how to braid it?

Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:19 pm UTC

Down to the bottom of my buttocks. Which is amusing because if I make an end-tie, it taps against my buttocks when I walk.

Oh, and it's raven black. Rats' Nest is my general hair style.

@cephalopod9: Actually, I do. It's fun to mix braided and unbraided. Dreadlock braids work best for the mixing, but I can braid it any way I like. (When you have as much hair as I do, you notice it a lot, and play with it)
Belial wrote:You are giving me the tools to sodomize my vast imagination, and for this I am grateful.

PM Me, if you care for a chat.

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:46 pm UTC

My hair is currently a few inches past my shoulders. It used to be just about down to my hipbones, and a lot of people would comment on it. Then my ex-boyfriend asked if he could give me a mohawk. I was feeling adventurous, and liked him a whole lot at the time, so I said sure. He chickened out and stopped when it was about an inch above the bottoms of my ears. I went with it, dyed it black, brought a picture of Amelie to the hair stylist and said "make it happen." I kept that up for about a year and a half. Now the bangs are grown out and I've adopted a non-interference policy. I'm aiming for the hipbones again. People who have been consulted are pretty evenly split on which hairstyle they liked best on me...but I liked the versatility of the uber long hair.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

shinybaby
In-Tents
Location: formerly Toronto, now London (Ontario)... anyone here??

Postby shinybaby » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:56 pm UTC

cephalopod9 wrote:How many of you 29 men and 12 women with long hair know how to braid it?

erm... i'm in the in-between vote, but i know how to braid... i had long hair for a number of years, and as I_D pointed out, if you have lots of hair - you play! :D

i still like to French braid the top of my hair (2 French braids, split down the middle) because it's wonderful for keeping it out of my face.
Gordon wrote:1) Meet Gordon
2) Deploy Gordon
3) ...
4) Profit!!!

The Sleeping Tyrant

Postby The Sleeping Tyrant » Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:30 am UTC

cephalopod9 wrote:The next best question is "how long are you going to let it get?" I do not even know what that is supposed to mean.
and of course "so are you thinking about donating it?" no.
however that is why I cut it six years ago.

Long hair is way sexy.

I get those questions too. It's annoying, but not as bad as "when are you getting it cut?" because at least they don't assume I'm going to do something I'm not.
I agree that long hair is way sexy. I really prefer it over short hair, on anyone. It just looks better in my opinion.

I've had people offer to braid/straighten/etc.. I might take one of those offers up one day.
However, I don't know how to braid it.

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:00 am UTC

My hair is about 20 inches long (I just measured it). I love it long and I'm letting it grow as long as possible. I need trims about once every 4 months or else it stops growing and starts falling out. It's very thin but perfectly straight and soft. Depending on the light, it looks like it has red or gold highlights, but normally it's just light brown. I can braid/French braid it too. I kind of love my hair, I think it's my best feature.
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

Angstrom

Postby Angstrom » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:03 am UTC

Male, long, about down to armpits.

I wish it was longer, but I keep getting split ends and have to cut it :(

Oh and I can't figure out what color it is. Some people say blonde, some say brown (some even say there's some red), i'm gonna go with "schizophrenic"

DesperatMezures

Postby DesperatMezures » Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:41 am UTC

Male, long hair. It's curly, though, so even though it looks like it's down two inches past my shoulders, it's actually down to my man-boobs when straightened.

For reference, just think about the guy from the soul glo commercial from the movie Coming to America, but with longer hair.
OLEANA, PUT SOME JELJEL ON MY WUUD TO MAKE IT YOOJ SO I CAN GO BAVOOM!

Klye

Postby Klye » Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:12 am UTC

Same. Mine is about shoulder length, but curly enough that straightening it would add about 4 inches. I'm getting the ends trimmed a little on monday, which will be my first haircut in 15 months.
Phi wrote: Be careful when touching it though. It really expands.

Why would she say that?!?

lamarguerite

Postby lamarguerite » Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:42 am UTC

I'm female. (So they say).

I have had hair down past the middle/lower back, and hair just above my shoulders. Right now it's barely past my shoulders & I'm growing it out all the way again. About every two years I hack it all off and donate it (last time I donated 14 inches. It would've been more but I was so used to having long hair I didn't think I could deal with hair I couldn't tie back).

My boy/friend/ish has long hair. And it's CURLY, kind of! (endless amusement for me)... I've braided it for fun and put it in a bun and stuff. But usually he wears it in a ponytail. Except when he dances, I guess.

Vandole

Postby Vandole » Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:07 am UTC

Male -> Short. If it gets long enough that my bangs are in my eyes, it starts to curl and turn itself into a big, ugly whiteman's afro. It's about an inch right now.
Vandole wants you to read An Intimate History of the Greater Kingdom (NSFW text).
Oh, I'm no end table. I'm a nightstand.
Gelsamel wrote:Don't ever sig me..... ever.

d3adf001

Postby d3adf001 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:48 am UTC

#3 ftw. i need to keep the side of my head short since it curly, unlike the rest of my hair

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:20 am UTC

mines between, but its kind of weird. the back is short and layered, up off my neck but the sides and front are longer... the sides are the longest parts and if they didnt curl upwards (wtf?) they'd touch my shoulders.

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

Number3Pencils
The Torment of Existence Weighed against the Horror of Nonbeing

Postby Number3Pencils » Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:45 am UTC

Haven't cut my hair since eighth grade, currently a freshman in college. It stabilized at about 18–20 inches.
Spoiler:

xyzzy
Meta-Titled

Postby xyzzy » Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:16 pm UTC

cephalopod9 wrote:Long hair is way sexy.

No, I don't. I am considering doing half of it in braids, and wearing the other half plain though --- just need to bully some friends into doing it sometime.

If I want to go really crazy, I'm considering doing that, then dying the braids random colours. Should give me even more of a reputation as eccentric.
"Wile E. Coyote was a theoretical mathematician." - Leliel
"Modern life can be so boring without elements of the bizarre or the fantastical. Hence, we have steampunk." - Me

lachatte

Postby lachatte » Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:32 pm UTC

My hair is currently not-quite-shoulder length, but I've had it everywhere from very long (middle of my back) to shaved (I think I used a 1/4" guard). I think I look better with shorter hair, maybe chin-length or so. Though when my hair's short, I miss being able to do much stuff with it like when it's long, but then when it's long I never do anything with it but put it in a ponytail and end up cutting it. Speaking of which, I think it's about time to cut it again.

Why do I always end up cutting my hair short in winter?

pKp

Postby pKp » Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:21 pm UTC

Same here. Short, I cut it myself. No hassle, no money spent, and the hippie thing :mrgreen:
I used to have very long hair though. Around the middle of my back, I'd say.
Experience is a thing you can't have for nothing - Oscar wilde

Echodork

Postby Echodork » Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:26 pm UTC

I've always kept my hair pretty short. Shave it down around the back and sides, clip it short up top, with a fade. Pretty standard.

My wife begged me for months to let my hair grow out, and to let it curl. I finally caved, and let it start shagging out. I scrunched it with gel every morning, and it looked ok, I guess... just dark, curly hair, still fairly short.

When she left, one of the first things I did was shave my hair off. Now it's short again, #1 all around. I think it looks better... it looks right :) And all my polite co-workers who restrained themselves and told me I looked very nice with longer hair are relieved that I eventually came to my senses ;)

I'm also a sucker for long hair on women. Shoulder-length or just past the shoulders, straight or wavy, any color. *swoon*

d3adf001

Postby d3adf001 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:53 pm UTC

parkaboy it could be worse. this was my hair kind of long. that summer i grew it to ~10 inches. then i came back from school and shaved it all off.

Spoiler:

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:00 am UTC

xyzzy wrote:
cephalopod9 wrote:Long hair is way sexy.

No, I don't. I am considering doing half of it in braids, and wearing the other half plain though --- just need to bully some friends into doing it sometime.

If I want to go really crazy, I'm considering doing that, then dying the braids random colours. Should give me even more of a reputation as eccentric.

braiding isn't hard, you could learn.
here (kinda girly, but good pictures)and here (I have trouble figuring this one out) are websites of braiding instructions. The main thing to learn is how to keep the sections seperate.
Most of it's easy enough after that, um
Spoiler:
(I can do a little better than that :oops:)

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:01 am UTC

Black and short, I like it ruffled because when I have it all proper I look like a total geek.

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:03 am UTC

ditto xool.
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

jazzmansteve

Postby jazzmansteve » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:20 am UTC

Im male and my hair is average?
Flat it reaches my eyes, but I always gel it up with rework gel, there have been many comparisons:

Ace Ventura
Wolverine
one of the Thundercats
general Animie characters
someone whos been electrocuted
... and other I cant recall

God its a lot of effort in the morning, blow drying and all.
'You ate my paintings?!'

KicktheCAN
v "This used to be my penis!"

Postby KicktheCAN » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:39 am UTC

I voted mid-length and my hair is about 4 inches. That is actually pretty long for my peer group considering most of the males in my school have buzz-cuts (or very near to them).
pollywog is awesome, that is all.
Addendum: Sethicus is also cool to the maximum.

Akira: i prefer monster black-man cocks.
Hoags: It's getting all 2vreks1CAN in here

Vellyr

Postby Vellyr » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:09 am UTC

I'm a male and my hair is curly and about 2-3 inches usually. I'll let it grow really long until it becomes an unsightly 'fro, then I have it cut down to 1 inch and begin the cycle again.

Is anyone besides me relieved by the lack of bald women in this thread?

Return to “General”