question about cats

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

thisisdavid

question about cats

Postby thisisdavid » Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:35 am UTC

Cats seem to have some nerve or something at the point where their backs and tails meet, where if you scratch it they more or less freak out. I've known cats that arch their backs very high when scratched there, and my friend Catherine always starts frantically licking/gnawing the closest thing to his face when scratched. What does your cat do when you scratch that spot, and does anyone have a sciency explanation for this?
Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. That is to say, it can be done, but the frog tends to die in the process.
-E.B. White

Edit0r

Re: question about cats

Postby Edit0r » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:52 am UTC

my friend Catherine would just trot in the direction she was facing whenever I did that. It was the only way I could get her to go somewhere. Just point her in the required direction and scratch her back near the tail.
Braccae tuae aperiuntur

GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers

Postby GhostWolfe » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:11 am UTC

My dog also has this nerve bundle, he curls his tail tighter when I scratch there.

At a guess, I think that nerve bundle is roughly equivilent to our tail bone, which if you've ever fallen on it, you'll know how sensitive it is.

/angell
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

tiny

Postby tiny » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:40 am UTC

It's a hypersensitivity-thing if your cat reacts so strong.
My SO's cats only lift their asses when you touch them close to the tail. The three cats my best friend own react like this, too.
"I write what I see, the endless procession to the guillotine." ~ de Sade

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:18 pm UTC

It must feel good to them, because otherwise they'd turn around and scratch you or run off. Two of my cats do that if I scratch them right at the base of their tail. Simon however loves it. Her eyes half-way close and she looks like she's high on something. If I do it long enough or rough enough she drools. She used to reciprocal groom (that's what that nibbling is) my finger if I held it in front of her long enough. Maggie did that when I had her.
PRG

An important message for you:

optionalredmark

Postby optionalredmark » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:29 pm UTC

Are you talking about the quadruped g-spot?

I'm at work so I'm afraid to do some google-fu searches for you, ("cat" and "g-spot" probably won't be SFW) but there's articles out there about animal sexual behavior & taxonomy that includes information about how that spot you're talking about is used in animal sexual intercourse for various reasons.

Anyway, the tail raise, the back curve... all of those are helpful for the male animal (since you know, they really can't lay down and do missionary).

Girl™
This is what I think of you.

Postby Girl™ » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:13 pm UTC

optionalredmark wrote:Are you talking about the quadruped g-spot?

I'm at work so I'm afraid to do some google-fu searches for you, ("cat" and "g-spot" probably won't be SFW) but there's articles out there about animal sexual behavior & taxonomy that includes information about how that spot you're talking about is used in animal sexual intercourse for various reasons.

Anyway, the tail raise, the back curve... all of those are helpful for the male animal (since you know, they really can't lay down and do missionary).

That seems a little odd to me, since, in my experience, male cats react more strongly to it. That's purely anecdotal, though.
You don't make them touch!

Pirate.Bondage

Postby Pirate.Bondage » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:35 pm UTC

my friend Catherine usually just stick his tail higher, but my friend has a cat that starts frantically licking/biting himself. I had heard once that there was an explanation for it but I don't remember what.
Life is beautiful.
Spoiler:
Irrefutable wrote:you are so lovely

emceng wrote:Then the sausage says, "I have 1 kid, and raging genital herpes." Get the fuck away from me sausage!!!

sje46 wrote:Do... do you want to marry me?

optionalredmark

Postby optionalredmark » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:46 pm UTC

Girl™ wrote:That seems a little odd to me, since, in my experience, male cats react more strongly to it. That's purely anecdotal, though.

Errm... All males & females share similar if not equal organs. Some of them look different, ie; the ovaries vs. the testes, the penis vs. the clitoris - but they are an extension of the exact same gland of nerves. The "g-spot" was probably a bad simile to use, as there is no actual physical body part called a "g-spot."

segmentation fault

Postby segmentation fault » Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:26 pm UTC

my dog goes crazy when i pet him in that area. his tail curls, neck elevates, and his ears go back. its adorable.
people are like LDL cholesterol for the internet

vrek
pigasm!

Postby vrek » Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:01 pm UTC

I just ran some tests...I tried it on 5 cats, only 1 reacted this strongly. The other 4 just kinda looked up at my like "can I help you?", but that also could of been caused by them sleeping before I woke them up at scratch that spot.
Didn't I tell you tomorrow that time is not linear?

Verator666: I get hot unicorn furry sex AND YOU DON'T!!

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:38 pm UTC

I usually try to keep away from anything that will agrivate them, because if I do I know they will go kamakazie on me. And if I am not careful I will be walking out of the room without a face.

*pain*

Robin S

Postby Robin S » Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:40 pm UTC

Since the existence or otherwise of the human g-spot is an unsettled matter, I'd be skeptical about any confident claims that it was an erogenous zone.
This is a placeholder until I think of something more creative to put here.

Girl™
This is what I think of you.

Postby Girl™ » Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:31 pm UTC

optionalredmark wrote:
Girl™ wrote:That seems a little odd to me, since, in my experience, male cats react more strongly to it. That's purely anecdotal, though.

Errm... All males & females share similar if not equal organs. Some of them look different, ie; the ovaries vs. the testes, the penis vs. the clitoris - but they are an extension of the exact same gland of nerves. The "g-spot" was probably a bad simile to use, as there is no actual physical body part called a "g-spot."

Er, I was referencing the fact that you were describing the behavior in terms of preparing-to-be-mounted.
You don't make them touch!

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:11 pm UTC

I always just figured that cats and dogs liked to have that spot scratched because it's one of the few spots that are very hard to reach with paws or teeth- so any itches they might have go largely un-scratched. I noticed on some of my cats that the fur back there is matted and less clean than in other places, because they can't reach it to clean.
And I don't know about anybody else, but I loooove having my back scratched where I can't reach it. I know, I'm weird, people are now going to tell me they can reach every part of their back. Well I can't. There are parts I miss. I think it's the same for cats and dogs. Perhaps.
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

Flying Betty

Postby Flying Betty » Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:13 pm UTC

Especially since the majority of housecats are fixed, and I'm not sure what kind of effect that has on arousal/hormones.

Mine loves being scratched there. Every cat I've had has in fact. This one is weird; if you scratch the base of his tail when he's eating, he could not possibly be happier. It's a pretty good way to make him accept new people as he tends to be a bit skittish around strangers.

And I can reach every part of my back if it needs to be scratched. Other people just tickle if they try to scratch it for me.
Belial wrote:The future is here, and it is cyberpunk as hell.

lowbart

Postby lowbart » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:23 pm UTC

thisisdavid wrote:Cats seem to have some nerve or something at the point where their backs and tails meet, where if you scratch it they more or less freak out.

I think my friend Catherine's entire body is covered with those kinds of nerves.

Either that, or he just hates me.
...a fish called the Henamo grunter, named because it makes grunting noises from its swim bladder.
v1nsai wrote:Yes, I'm Linux, how can I help you ma'am?

Delbin

Postby Delbin » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:30 pm UTC

My two elevate themselves to leverage their backs to the scratching, so I'm pretty sure they like it. It's easy to overstimulate them and cause them to attack if you do it too much, though. If you poke mine in just the right spot, the muscles that control the skin around the back start to convulse.

Robin S wrote:Since the existence or otherwise of the human g-spot is an unsettled matter, I'd be skeptical about any confident claims that it was an erogenous zone.

I'm confused. Unsettled by whom?

Vellyr

Postby Vellyr » Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:45 am UTC

One of my cats likes it a lot, but I usually don't like to scratch him there for too long because a huge ball of hair starts to collect behind my fingers and it's pretty gross. My other cat hates being touched anywhere on his rear half, to the point that if his butt happens to be touching something, his leg will involuntarily move to try and push it off.

thisisdavid

Postby thisisdavid » Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:40 pm UTC

yeah, most cats just do the ass arching thing, but mine will immediately convulse and start gnawing himself or my hand if its close to his face, even if he was dozing before. I know he can reach this spot on his own. He probably has this particular reaction because he does the reciprocal grooming thing a lot as someone ^ described, one of his favorite things to do is to jump up in my lap while im reading a book and lick my inner elbow till he falls asleep. The erogenous zone thing is kinda gross though, i dont want my friend Catherine following me around wanting me to get him off :/
Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. That is to say, it can be done, but the frog tends to die in the process.
-E.B. White

Seven
Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix Zero-One

Postby Seven » Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:43 pm UTC

I'm surprised no one has posted this cat haiku yet. It's been around for ages:

You must scratch me there.
Yes! Above my tail! Behold...
"Elevator Butt".

Return to “General”