Wingsuits and skydiving

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

theamberkey

Wingsuits and skydiving

Postby theamberkey » Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:59 pm UTC

Is there anything quite as awe-inspiring as seeing someone jumping from something VERY HIGH UP with nothing to support them but little strips of cloth between their limbs?

Wingsuit BASE Jumping in Norway

Holy shit monkeys! They are insane!

My real question is: has anyone here ever done this madness? Would you?
A silver spoon and a packet of sugar cubes are the artifacts of the ritual: the vajrakaliya, the cross, the blood of the lamb....
-The Amber Key

Berengal
Superabacus Mystic of the First Rank

Re: Wingsuits and skydiving

Postby Berengal » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:11 pm UTC

It's definately something I'll do if I ever get around to it. I'm more into flying than falling though, so I'll probably get a sailplane license before I start parachuting (I already got a paraglider license). Current TODO list for "My life":
Get bachelor
Get sailplane license
Get master
Get parachuting license
Get crackin'
It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students who are motivated by money: As potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

volthezz

Postby volthezz » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:42 pm UTC

Berengal wrote:It's definately something I'll do if I ever get around to it. I'm more into flying than falling though, so I'll probably get a sailplane license before I start parachuting (I already got a paraglider license). Current TODO list for "My life":
Get bachelor
Get sailplane license
Get master
Get parachuting license
Get crackin'

Great list. :)
As for myself: I haven't ever tried this "madness", but would definitely want to do it.

Reckless

Postby Reckless » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:49 pm UTC

I'm going skydiving over spring break, but with a regular parachute and all that. We'll be jumping at 13,000. I'm excited for so many reasons.

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:31 pm UTC

I think it's been well established that BASE jumping is the most fucking awesome activity to partake in, ever.

theamberkey

Postby theamberkey » Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:27 am UTC

Apparently it is recommended that one have several hundred 'normal' skydives before attempting Wingsuit gliding. Not to mention BASE jumping.

Urgh. I wish I was rolling in cash for this reason alone.

...there are people who are attempting to land without a parachute in a wingsuit. If they pull it off, I will be suitably impressed. I believe an article on it was /.ed a while back, though, so I'm sure people have heard of this.
A silver spoon and a packet of sugar cubes are the artifacts of the ritual: the vajrakaliya, the cross, the blood of the lamb....
-The Amber Key

null

Postby null » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:12 am UTC

*Land* a wingsuit? Im gunna have to google this...Its not that i doubt you...I dont...but im shocked at how much people want to get themselves dead.

Whenever ive seen them, they are doing about 100-120mph...I assumed this was because they had crappy aerodynamics (compared to a wing) so they needed to be going fast to produce enough lift.

Now...the only way i can see this working, is if they land in a fast car on a road, or have some sort of street luge strapped to their front. Regardless, they are going damn fast...faster than a light aircraft comes into land...so i think if they ever mess it up, they will be drinking through a straw, or not at all.

theamberkey

Postby theamberkey » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:27 pm UTC

null wrote:*Land* a wingsuit? Im gunna have to google this...Its not that i doubt you...I dont...but im shocked at how much people want to get themselves dead.

Whenever ive seen them, they are doing about 100-120mph...I assumed this was because they had crappy aerodynamics (compared to a wing) so they needed to be going fast to produce enough lift.

Now...the only way i can see this working, is if they land in a fast car on a road, or have some sort of street luge strapped to their front. Regardless, they are going damn fast...faster than a light aircraft comes into land...so i think if they ever mess it up, they will be drinking through a straw, or not at all.

I think most people expect a number of these researchers to die.

I believe one plan involves a slopped ramp to land on, but I couldn't tell you more.

I think what they should do is find a way to imitate Colossus' power, so when they're bored of gliding they just turn into a low-altitude meteorite. BAM. Problem solved.
-The Amber Key

Berengal
Superabacus Mystic of the First Rank

Postby Berengal » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:59 pm UTC

Seeing as wingsuits have a glide ratio of 2:1 i really doubt it's possible to land one on bare ground. Without knowing for certain, their stall speed must be quite high as well, which combined with their low surface area makes it impossible to flare.

Might be possible with some mechanically unfolding batwings...
It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students who are motivated by money: As potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

Return to “General”