Final decisions on a major....

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

AbNo

Final decisions on a major....

Postby AbNo » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:18 am UTC

(apologies for any minor typos and grammatical errors, I'm not on my home system, and this keyboard does not fit my hands...)

So, I'm currently in my local community college's Mechanical Engineering program, but... I'm just not sure I'm pursuing a field I want to work in. (Though I plan to finish at a 4 year school...)

I mean, I like making, installing and repairing things (former AFSC 2E1X1, been a cable man, installed electronic security systems in DC...), but I'm just not sure I'm going into the right field.

Does anyone, that's either going though, or has gone through "higher education" have any advice for making sure you're learning in the right direction, so to speak?

(Maybe it's just 3am doubt?)
Darwin was right, but nanny-staters keep trying to undermine him

niolosoiale

Re: Final decisions on a major....

Postby niolosoiale » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:16 pm UTC

Don't go to college for a degree. Go to college to get educated about yourself, the world, what you want to do, and how to do it. The degree you end up with should match up with those last two items. Not that this is your situation but, getting a degree because your parents or high school counselors told you to is stupid. Go to college for the right reasons and understand that your college experience will not likely go exactly the way you imagined or planned it.

The next 4-8 years of your life are going to be filled with more personal growth and development (some say "changes") than you may have experienced so far. In addition, expect a large potential increase in your self-awareness about who you are as a person. All of those things are far more important than any degree. IMO.

spelunker

Postby spelunker » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:21 pm UTC

It's funny, most people would say the exact opposite, but I agree entirely with niolosoiale. Major in something you like! If it's boring now, it's going to be boring as a job, too, and hating your job is no way to spend your life.

If you enjoy the Mechanical Engineering program, do it. If you find when you graduate that you don't really want to do that type of job; fine, go get a job in something you do like. You don't have to major in your career- a lot of people get a degree in one thing and getting a job in something else entirely.

Akula

Postby Akula » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:25 pm UTC

[quote=\"niolosoiale\"]Don\'t go to college for a degree. Go to college to get educated about yourself, the world, what you want to do, and how to do it. The degree you end up with should match up with those last two items. Not that this is your situation but, getting a degree because your parents or high school counselors told you to is stupid.[/quote]

Story of my life...
College was the biggest mistake of my life. Not that it\'s a mistake in general... I just never needed it do what I really wanted to do, and going was a waste of time and money. A LOT of money now that I realize it.

If it matches up with what you want, your goals, awesome. I should of stayed the hell out though.
"I never let my schooling interfere with my education" - Mark Twain

AbNo

Postby AbNo » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:28 pm UTC

It should be noted that I'm 26, and a USAF Veteran. I think I'm finishing up my personal growth phase. :wink:

Ok, maybe not, I still act like a big kid.

still haven't found a chick that will fill her house with ball-pit balls, though. :(

xooll

Postby xooll » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:39 am UTC

AbNo wrote:still haven't found a chick that will fill her house with ball-pit balls, though. :(

They're all in college. :)
So, I got tired of the fact that the appearance of my band name in my signature made my posts on this forum the dominant result when googling for my music. Anyway, if you think I might happen to be a good musician, you can test this theory here.

hobbesmaster

Postby hobbesmaster » Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:14 am UTC

Community college... you're getting an associate's in Mechanical Engineering Technology? If you like tinkering with stuff, which it sounds like you do, then some form of engineering (ME or EE especially) is a good field for you.

AbNo

Postby AbNo » Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:46 am UTC

Nobody ares where your AS came from if you have a BS from somewhere else. I figure I can save a few bucks by transfering. :mrgreen:

As to the tinkering, it's more of a hobby I don't pursue.

I just get the feeling I'm going to end up doing something related, but not how I want to do it. :?

Wish I could get a few internships or something before I finish...

I've actually been considering coding, due to my left-handed view on the world. :mrgreen:

Don't know if I want to spend all day code-crunching, though.

Intarweb forum arguments have been giving me a bit of interest in research, though. Again, I don't know if I want to spend all day info-mining...

Blah!

LoopQuantumGravity

Postby LoopQuantumGravity » Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:05 am UTC

AbNo wrote:Nobody ares where your AS came from if you have a BS from somewhere else. I figure I can save a few bucks by transfering. :mrgreen:

As to the tinkering, it's more of a hobby I don't pursue.

I just get the feeling I'm going to end up doing something related, but not how I want to do it. :?

Wish I could get a few internships or something before I finish...

I've actually been considering coding, due to my left-handed view on the world. :mrgreen:

Don't know if I want to spend all day code-crunching, though.

Intarweb forum arguments have been giving me a bit of interest in research, though. Again, I don't know if I want to spend all day info-mining...

Blah!

4-year schools have research you can do with faculty members, this is good to find out what you like to do. Plus, the more classes you take, the more chances you get to see what you like.
I study theoretical physics & strings, and am a recipient of the prestigious Jayne Cobb Hero of Canton award.

And the science gets done and you make a neat gun
For the people who are still alive!

AbNo

Postby AbNo » Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:26 am UTC

I suppose... I'd just like to pick a school BEFORE deciding on a curriculum.

Hell like I said, maybe this was just born from 3 am doubt.

Likpok

Postby Likpok » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:13 am UTC

Well, if you narrow what to want to a few fields, you can pick a school that does each of those well.

The eternal advantage of the big school is, of course, the breadth. You can take classes in whatever you want, be it American Sign Language, Lie algebra or Underwater Basket Weaving.
There's an art to cooking toast
Never try to guess
Cook it till it's smoking
Then twenty seconds less.

AbNo

Postby AbNo » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:55 am UTC

Not familiar with lie algebra, but I've met a few people with the UBW degree... :?

darwinwins

Postby darwinwins » Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:03 pm UTC

just wanted to chime in: there ain't no thing as a final decision on a major till that last couple of years at university.
"if you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking. that's the world of hicks and slobs. " - haruki murakami

william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Postby william » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:21 pm UTC

AbNo wrote:Not familiar with lie algebra, but I've met a few people with the UBW degree... :?

It has to do with a*b not being equal to b*a, and exactly what the shape of the differences is.

It's advanced math/physics.
SecondTalon wrote:A pile of shit can call itself a delicious pie, but that doesn't make it true.

null

Postby null » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:43 pm UTC

Im half way through an aerospace engineering degree, and im currently working as an intern systems engineer for an aeroplane manufacturer.

I love my course, it rocks...buuut...my job is desk-slavery, and engineers get paid very badly (in england). I dont think its the sort of career i would want to persue (id rather go into finance)...but that has not deterred me from continuing my aerospace engineering degree, as my degree has plenty of options.

Almost every degree opens up a wide range of career choices - most of which will be at least somehow related to your degree. If you pick a degree you enjoy, you will do better, and you will be in a position to try a range of jobs that you may enjoy after you graduate.

Return to “General”