Accents you hate or love

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

photosinensis

Re: Accents you hate or love

Postby photosinensis » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:49 am UTC

I have never been able to place my accent. I once worked with a few folks that confused me for British (word choice has a bit to do with it: I'm usually concise and direct--even when I'm rambling), some Iowans confused me with one of them, American Southerners don't seem to claim I sound particularly different (but I've never been in the deep south), and there are people that have even claimed that I don't talk like anyone else they've ever heard. I've even been known on rare occasion to sound like someone from Texas (which I am). I may post an audio sample somewhere so that you can determine for yourselves what I sound like to you.

In Spanish, I sound like a gringo redneck from Houston (two out of three things there are correct: I am not a redneck). Latin leaves me sounding vaguely Anglo-Germanic speaking Golden Age, according to a prof I once had.

About the only accents I cannot stand are Appalachian and faux Appalachian (in English, of course). Everything else sounds awesome to my bored ear. Give it about half an hour with your genuine voice, and I can usually pin you down not only to an area, but to an ethnic or social group in that area. I've even been known to tell the difference between people from similar subdivisions within master planned communities before.
While I clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning,
And my heart was filled with mournng, mourning for my dear amour.
"'Tis not possible!" I uttered, "Give me back my free hardcore!"
Quoth the server: 404.

Khonsu

Postby Khonsu » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:50 am UTC

thisisdavid wrote:I'm around 3/4 Scotch-Irish, they have one of the best histories as a people (read How the Irish Saved Civilization), and the Irish pronunciation of the word fuck is just beautiful.
*cat explosion*
"I CAHN BELEEVE THA JOOST FOOKING HAPPENED!"

thisisdavid wrote: One that really grates on me is Mexican. If you've ever been unfortunate enough to hear Carlos Mencia talk, that's what I'm talking about.

It's not that bad if it's on a young person. Their accents are much softer. Older-than-35 Mexicans, however, tend to have much more trouble converting frictatives, so they tend to have that hissing sound in there. Most other Hispanic persons tend not to have this cross-fricative hiss, but most people can't hear the difference. I can, but only because I've had Caribbean or South American friends who are like "WE DO NOT SOUND MEXICAN." Carlos Mencia's real name is Ned, and he's embellishing his accent A LOT. Trust me. He's doing it on purpose because he finds tired racial humor (stolen from older, great comedians) oh-so-hilarious.

thisisdavid

Postby thisisdavid » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:35 am UTC

Khonsu wrote:
thisisdavid wrote: One that really grates on me is Mexican. If you've ever been unfortunate enough to hear Carlos Mencia talk, that's what I'm talking about.

It's not that bad if it's on a young person. Their accents are much softer. Older-than-35 Mexicans, however, tend to have much more trouble converting frictatives, so they tend to have that hissing sound in there. Most other Hispanic persons tend not to have this cross-fricative hiss, but most people can't hear the difference. I can, but only because I've had Caribbean or South American friends who are like "WE DO NOT SOUND MEXICAN." Carlos Mencia's real name is Ned, and he's embellishing his accent A LOT. Trust me. He's doing it on purpose because he finds tired racial humor (stolen from older, great comedians) oh-so-hilarious.

I'm sure that Ned Mencia is putting on an act for his humor, but his accent isn't a caricature of the real thing. I don't notice hissing, it's the nasal elongation of the E and oh sounds that I hear. Plus in North Texas a lot of the young people are first generation, and at my school there isn't a ton of interaction between races socially so their accents don't get naturalized that quickly. Since my area is a melting pot for different nationalities of Hispanics I'm terrible at discerning dialects apart from Spanish and obviously South American ones, but if I had to take a guess the accent I'm talking about is from a border state like Coahuila, or maybe it's just Spanglish. I'll ask my brother, he's fluent and has lived all over Mexico.
Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. That is to say, it can be done, but the frog tends to die in the process.
-E.B. White

Mothra

Postby Mothra » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:24 am UTC

I think Jamaican accents, on both men and women, have this subtle rhythm that just makes them sound excellent.

/nerd

It's actually part of the reason why I'm fond of trolls on World of Warcraft.

Chacor

Postby Chacor » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:36 am UTC

Yes, the Singaporean accent is just... bad. I also dislike the Scouse accent, I can hardly understand what anyone from Liverpool is saying. Which isn't good, since I'm a fan of Liverpool FC, but hey.

I'm neutral about most other accents though... although the Scottish and Irish accents, while at times as difficult to decipher as the Scouse one, I do like quite a bit.

SteamPunk

Postby SteamPunk » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:30 pm UTC

I am so very sad that I have no accent, coming from America. I know that's very provincial of me to say, but what the Hell. I am very fond of a lot of accents, and I love slipping in and out of them just to fuck with people's heads and sound cool. I love it when someone looks up at me, surprised, and is all like "Did you just use an Australian accent?" They won't actually say it, because they think they'll sound silly, but I can tell that's what they're thinking.

Here are the accents I love:

Irish
Scottish
Australian
South African
A Few English Ones
Eastern European/Russian

They just sound really badass. If it's a pretty girl using one, I just melt.

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:37 pm UTC

Meh, accents. I don't even notice the bloody things most of the time, to be honest. As far as US accents go (and ffs, the midwest has an accent, accept it), there aren't any that really grate on me. UK, I'll have to be typical and mention Birmingham, though it depends on the person a bit. Welsh accents sometimes really get to me, but I'm sure it's not all Welsh accents -- I'm just not entirely sure about the divisions. I don't mind Scousers, usually, though I used to go to school with a girl who made me want to strangle her every time she opened her mouth. (I do not think it was entirely her accent that did that. :P)

Outside of that, I'm just happy if I can understand the person. As a rule, I don't go all melty over any specific accents (though I do prefer David Tenant's real accent...).

As for my own accent, it is a complete mess, and responsible for the fact that I don't notice accents the majority of the time...
une see wrote:Cass, YOU are my favorite!

thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess

Postby thefiddler » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:00 pm UTC

SteamPunk wrote:Irish
Scottish
Australian
South African
A Few English Ones
Eastern European/Russian

They just sound really badass. If it's a pretty girl using one, I just melt.

First off, your favourite accents create a slope; how cute.

Secondly, you only melt for pretty girls? :(

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:18 am UTC

I like the British accent almost to the point to where if I am imitating it I cant seem to stop doing so very quickly.

It just sounds so..... smarter, and it is even more fun when a black man speaks with it for some reason.
Example:
4124259919.jpg
4124259919.jpg (44.26 KiB) Viewed 3514 times

Other than that, I don't really think of other accents, I take them as they come but other than British accent I take them as they come.
Last edited by Aleril on Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:22 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Angelene
relax, I'll handle the zippers

Postby Angelene » Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:20 am UTC

thisisdavid wrote:I'm around 3/4 Scotch-Irish, they have one of the best histories as a people (read How the Irish Saved Civilization), and the Irish pronunciation of the word fuck is just beautiful.

Ummm, what?

I adore anyone that's well spoken...accents of the obviously affluent, it's a total snobbery thing, sure. To the same extent, I don't really enjoy any strong regional accents, speaking very generally, they usually tend to be rather grating and abrasive, or such has been my experience. I adore a subtle Scottish lilt, though...and some South African and Australian accents can be rather sexy. Also, Indians who are fluent in English have the most beautiful accent.
"Some people need a red carpet rolled out in front of them in order to walk forward into friendship. They can't see the tiny outstretched hands all around them, everywhere, like leaves on trees."

yellie

Postby yellie » Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:52 am UTC

and the Irish pronunciation of the word fuck is just beautiful.

Yeah, I'm seconding Cara's "what".

I'm just going to say it: anyone who thinks the Irish accent is attractive is clearly mental. I mean seriously, have you actually heard Colin Farrell? Or Bob Geldolf? Nasty stuff. Don't even get me started on the D4s and knackers.

I like the Australian accent. And my love for Gambit means I'm obliged to say the New Orleans accent, too.

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:55 am UTC

Gambit was always my favourite X-Man.
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

darwinwins

Postby darwinwins » Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:58 am UTC

Cassi wrote:Meh, accents. I don't even notice the bloody things most of the time, to be honest. As far as US accents go (and ffs, the midwest has an accent, accept it), there aren't any that really grate on me. UK, I'll have to be typical and mention Birmingham, though it depends on the person a bit. Welsh accents sometimes really get to me, but I'm sure it's not all Welsh accents -- I'm just not entirely sure about the divisions. I don't mind Scousers, usually, though I used to go to school with a girl who made me want to strangle her every time she opened her mouth. (I do not think it was entirely her accent that did that. :P)

Outside of that, I'm just happy if I can understand the person. As a rule, I don't go all melty over any specific accents (though I do prefer David Tenant's real accent...).

As for my own accent, it is a complete mess, and responsible for the fact that I don't notice accents the majority of the time...

there are isolated pockets in the midwest where accents exist but a good chunk of it lacks an accent. if everyone that speaks english has an accent, then there has to be the assumption that there is a lack of accent somewhere. if the midwest has an accent, then where is the pure form of english where there is no accent?
"if you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking. that's the world of hicks and slobs. " - haruki murakami

The Mighty Thesaurus

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:03 am UTC

You must be using a hitherto unknown meaning of the word "accent".
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:08 am UTC

There is no such thing as 'accentless' speech! I mean, seriously.

The closest you get is 'Received Pronunciation' but even that is, in itself, an accent. Go away, read some David Crystal, feel like an idiot, come back.

The final step is not necessary.

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:10 am UTC

darwinwins wrote:there are isolated pockets in the midwest where accents exist but a good chunk of it lacks an accent. if everyone that speaks english has an accent, then there has to be the assumption that there is a lack of accent somewhere. if the midwest has an accent, then where is the pure form of english where there is no accent?

NO. That is a completely baseless and illogical assumption. It is impossible not to have an accent -- that is not how language works. The midwest has an accent, just like everywhere else in the world. There is nowhere that has this "pure" form of English that you are going on about, because there is NO SUCH THING.
une see wrote:Cass, YOU are my favorite!

Berengal
Superabacus Mystic of the First Rank

Postby Berengal » Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:11 am UTC

An accent is the way someone pronounces words. If everyone spoke alike, there would still be one accent.
An accent is not a way of pronouncing that differs from a hypothetical non-accent way.
Just to clear that up.
It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students who are motivated by money: As potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

H.E.L.e.N.
Cheesy-tuna-bacon-pickle?

Postby H.E.L.e.N. » Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:17 am UTC

Worst: there's this terrible nasal thing in northeastern New Jersey that kind of trickled down from Long Island (lawn guyland?) and somehow got worse on the way. It's only a certain segment of the population, but it's pretty awful. I can imitate it, but I have to be suitably pissed off first.

Belial wrote:To disagree with Kikral, Indian accents are also awesome.

I had a teacher who spent most of their life in India, so their English also had a British accent. The whole effect was swoon-worthy.

edit: Oh me yarm, there's an INDIA filter?

Morphing Ball

Postby Morphing Ball » Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:43 am UTC

Aleril wrote:I like the British accent almost to the point to where if I am imitating it I cant seem to stop doing so very quickly.

It just sounds so..... smarter, and it is even more fun when a black man speaks with it for some reason.
Example:
4124259919.jpg

Other than that, I don't really think of other accents, I take them as they come but other than British accent I take them as they come.

There is no such thing as a "British accent".

The Mighty Thesaurus

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:45 am UTC

helen wrote:Oh me yarm, there's an INDIA filter?

I think davean added it yesterday.

Joeldi

Postby Joeldi » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:02 am UTC

Any accent from the UK, but not England.
Scottish, Irish and Welsh accents are all awesome.
Geordie (sp.) is also great, if only because Ross Noble speaks with it.
I already have a hate thread. Necromancy > redundancy here, so post there.

roc314 wrote:America is a police state that communicates in txt speak...

"i hav teh dissentors brb""¡This cheese is burning me! u pwnd them bff""thx ur cool 2"

ishikiri

Postby ishikiri » Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:06 am UTC

yellie wrote: And my love for Gambit means I'm obliged to say the New Orleans accent, too.

I mentioned that in some other post, possibly (probably) back-referencing you.
Le bon temps roulez mon soeur!

The major thing I get annoyed with (and this will prabably only be apparant to UK folk) is Estuary English; the accent Kate Nash, Lily Allen and Jonathan Ross speak in, which is based around a sort of Cockney/RP/London area mix.

Its not so much the accent its-self (Its miwdwy end'win' to ear sumwun tawk wike this fow a bi') but it seems that for about 60-100 miles outside of London, in every direction basically everyone talks in only slightly varied or Formalised versions (upward divergent/less cockney) of this accent, unless they speak in full blown RP. Its the lack of proper regional accent variation between Hull and Dorset which irritates me.

I live in Bingley which is part of Bradford (properly pronounced "Bra[t]'fud") and if I go about 5-60+ miles outward in any direction I'll come into a toally different accent; Geordie, Mackam, Scouse, Brummy, Manc, Sheffield etc then the Scottish ones beyond that. Even Leeds is different to Bradford if you can hear it (they're about ~12 miles apart), not to mention ethnic diversity in accent and dialect.

Bloody southerners ruining everything. That said I am going to Uni in London next year and will proabably pick up eatuary regardless
clintonius wrote:The "thwak thwak thwak" in this movie makes me think they cranked up a powerpoint slideshow of angry pictures set to the soundtrack of a furious masturbator.

null

Postby null » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:15 pm UTC

I love women with swedish or russian accents....mmmm.

I also like dutch accents in a less sexual way!

Worst accent would have to be thai...it sounds so harsh and inelligant. Nothing personal...sorry!

davef
NomNomNommin' the Rockenclature!

Postby davef » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:38 pm UTC

WRT: Irish accent(S).

People who are not Irish who say that they love the Irish accent generally have no idea what accent they're referring to. There are loads and loads of different accents to be found throughout the country, as in any country. If I simply said 'I love the American accent', people would quickly point out that there are many American accents, not just one.

So, for the last time:

Colin Farrell is the only person in, or from, Ireland who talks like Colin Farrell. The longer he's lived in the States the more his accent has become a caricature of his real accent.

Any Irish accent you have ever heard on TV or in a movie, if played by a non-Irish person, is wrong. The only exception to this is Cate Blanchett in Veronica Guerin.

Now carry on!
Last edited by davef on Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:34 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Ciúnas, bóthar, cailín, bainne.

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:29 pm UTC

Any scots here pissed off with all this talk of 'The North' in reference to that bit of England that's geographically roughly central in Great Britain?

Anyway, more on-topic: I like Scottish, Irish, Japanese (even when Americanised) and some Australian accents, and don't hate any (much).
hermaj wrote:No-one. Will. Be. Taking. Cheese's. Spot.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Cheese is utterly correct on all fronts.
SecondTalon wrote:That thing that Cheese just said. Do that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I hereby disagree and declare Cheese to be brilliant.

Jakarias

Postby Jakarias » Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:11 pm UTC

I like Irish accents on women. It does it for me. Same goes for Glaswegian accents!

Anybody familiar with the Geordie accent (leek)?
Passion without Logic is reckless. Logic without Passion is pointless. Are YOU a pointless person?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:18 pm UTC

Jakarias wrote:Same goes for Glaswegian accents! Anybody familiar with the Geordie accent (leek)?

The who to the what? Geordie? Glaswegian? Is that Norwegian by way of Glasgow, or the reverse?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

SoapyHobo
Soap. It's, uhh, not actually that good

Postby SoapyHobo » Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:40 pm UTC

It's nice to know that us scousers are loved by all, It isn't particularly nice if it's a strong accent, thankfully I don't sound very scouse (at least I don't think I do, I might sound awful to you lot :P).
Jack Saladin wrote:Goddamn that's an awesome ****, Soapy. Once they get around to making artificial **** and I replace my crappy original ones, I'm gonna make mine look like that.

Jakarias

Postby Jakarias » Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:41 pm UTC

Well I'll understand if you don't know about Geordie (if u don't come from the UK) but Glaswegian is just what you call someone from Glasgow (affectionately known as the Weegies)

P.S. I love Scouse accents, but they sound painful if they are really strong
Passion without Logic is reckless. Logic without Passion is pointless. Are YOU a pointless person?

MoonBuggy

Postby MoonBuggy » Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:09 pm UTC

Question to Americans: does Hugh Laurie's accent on House grate as much as most American actors do for us when they attempt a "British" accent? I think his is very good, but then I'm not surrounded by them.
Michael McClary, in alt.fusion, wrote:Irrigation of the land with sewater desalinated by fusion power is ancient. It's called 'rain'.

@trophy

Postby @trophy » Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:17 pm UTC

MoonBuggy wrote:Question to Americans: does Hugh Laurie's accent on House grate as much as most American actors do for us when they attempt a "British" accent? I think his is very good, but then I'm not surrounded by them.

No, he's dead fucking on. Every time I watch that show and then watch the special features to hear his real accent I'm amazed that he can pull off American so well.

On a related note, I used to be a huge Garbage fan, and listening to Shirley Manson talk vs listening to her sing was an interesting experience... there's a lot of people with completely impenetrable accents that completely disappear when they start singing.
Insignificant Deification wrote:Because, sometimes, you've gotta have a taste of vulva

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:10 pm UTC

MoonBuggy wrote:Question to Americans: does Hugh Laurie's accent on House grate as much as most American actors do for us when they attempt a "British" accent? I think his is very good, but then I'm not surrounded by them.

There's a few things that are odd every now and again, but not unusual. And by odd I mean ... since I can't think of anything specific that he says and why it's wrong, I'm going to be vague, but it's kinda like listening to someone speak in a Northern accent suddenly drop in a Missouri twang on a few syllables every now and again. Odds are you don't notice, but you get the impression the person's lived in a wide variety of places or interacted with a lot of people or something...

Anyway... yeah, his American is fine, just sounds like he's lived on both coasts, basically.

In other news This page is nice.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:30 pm UTC

The professional actors (British or Australian) that come to mind who do standard American accents are pretty good at it. The only time it sounds really forced is when you hear someone who's not used to doing another accent, like stand-up comics or the like--usually it sounds like a caricatured John Wayne-ish accent.

But yeah, Hugh Laurie's American accent is good. Usually by that point, the only time you can really tell it's not his (or another actor's) natural accent is with the occasional syllable, or sometimes with choice-of-words (which doesn't generally happen in scripted dialogue). KF
~Kizyr

thicknavyrain
ThinkGravyTrain

Postby thicknavyrain » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:36 pm UTC

I love the accents of the unconfirmed Dutch-Irish. If anyone gets that...
RoadieRich wrote:Thicknavyrain is appointed Nex Artifex, Author of Death of the second FaiD Assassins' Guild.

Adalwolf

Postby Adalwolf » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:42 pm UTC

I like Midwestern accents, as that is where I live. I also like the Southern drawl and the South African accent. I despise Northern accents, such as the Boston, Philadelphia, New York accent, etc. I also don't like Spanish accents (usually Mexican...), or Asian accents I've heard, which is mainly Chinese.
Live with passion. Die with passion.

The Mighty Thesaurus

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:24 pm UTC

thicknavyrain wrote:I love the accents of the unconfirmed Dutch-Irish. If anyone gets that...

Don't you mean "feisty Latino"?

Akula

Postby Akula » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:36 pm UTC

German, Mexican, Arabic.

I'm kind of weird on this I guess.

Russian as well... that's not to offbeat though.

And while it's not a favorite, I can't believe no one has brought up Jamaican or any other Caribbean accents.
"I never let my schooling interfere with my education" - Mark Twain

izealand

Postby izealand » Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:43 pm UTC

Id love to have a cockney English accent, id ask everyone if they wanted their shoes shined or if they could spare a shiny penny.

As terms as accents i love on other people id say a South African or Dutch (they are pretty similar) on women, its very fluid i feel and easy to listen to, on guys it doesn't work as well.
I think the accent I like best on guys is some sort of south American accent, don't really know why just sounds cool.

Enid

Postby Enid » Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:48 pm UTC

RockoTDF wrote:I also hate how people from VA/NC areas say "Do what?" instead of just "what" "excuse me" etc. Unless they are being asked to do something and didn't hear you. So if I say "How are you?" and they say "Do what?" I think it sounds silly.

So, I know this is crazy far back in the thread, but I have lived in NC all my life and can not recall ever hearing this. Granted, I'm from Charlotte, and we aren't very Southern. Between the mix of accents we get here and the fact that my dad is from Missouri means that most people think I'm from somewhere else. In fact, I get asked pretty often if I'm from Europe. Which is pretty damn vague, but that's the way they always phrase it. I tend to mimic others' accents as well and I tend to go a little more southern when I'm at work.

I like most accents I can think of at the moment, though I tend to go a bit more crazy for certain Irish and English accents. I know there's a difference, but I really couldn't put a name to the different types I prefer. And my preference is based off hearing real people talk, not actors. The only accent that really gets on my nerves is a certain type of southern/country accent. Some are okay, but others... *shudder* Reminds me too much of my mom's side of the family.

thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess

Postby thefiddler » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:02 am UTC

izealand wrote:Id love to have a cockney English accent, id ask everyone if they wanted their shoes shined or if they could spare a shiny penny.

If you're speaking of the "cockney" accents you hear on TV and stuff, then you're wrong. From what I recall, hardly anybody has a true cockney accent anymore, except older folks. A lot of people, even from the area, have watered down accents just because of the variety of accents they hear on the radio, the TV, and movies.

Return to “General”