Medicinal alcohol

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

null

Medicinal alcohol

Postby null » Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:47 pm UTC

I'll set the scene, please suspend your disbelief here:

Theres been a medical emergency, and i need to buy some vodka to sterilise a wound. The injured person is allergic to all other forms of antiseptic. Unfortunately im 20, and british...so i have no idea how americans buy alcoholic beverages in you fine country. Is it standard practise to get IDed when buying said products? This guy could bleed out any minute...and my blackberry is running low on batteries...quick guys!

Irrational (?)

Re: Medicinal alcohol

Postby 3.14159265... » Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:49 pm UTC

Um, What?

Call an ambulance! Tell someone older?

is this a joke?
"The best times in life are the ones when you can genuinely add a "Bwa" to your "ha""- Chris Hastings

Popidge

Postby Popidge » Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:50 pm UTC

Chances are you'll get IDed. then you're screwed i'm afraid. Best thing you can do is ask someone to get the vodka for you, and try not to look like a Hobo.

Or call 911. That generally works in a situation of medical emergency.
http://popidge.co.uk
Where you can read stuff that, quite frankly, you probably don't care about.

null

Postby null » Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:53 pm UTC

What happens if you get ID'd and then are shown to be under age?

No its not real...This is xkcd not real life!

H.E.L.e.N.
Cheesy-tuna-bacon-pickle?

Postby H.E.L.e.N. » Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:58 pm UTC

null wrote:What happens if you get ID'd and then are shown to be under age?

Then they won't sell it to you, genius.

(Oh, it's not a crime to try, if that's what you're asking.)

Fossa

Postby Fossa » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:02 am UTC

If you're sterilizing a wound you better be buying something stronger than vodka. Get 151 or even Everclear (190 proof if its legal in the state you happen to be in).

But yes, you'll be carded. Most places card anyone who looks under 30 in my experience. Not a crime to try, but they won't sell to you. They also won't buy the wound sterilization thing because seriously, unless you're gang members trying to deal with a gun shot wound there's no reason to do that yourself. You call 911, wherever you are in the country, and get a professional to respond quickly and deal with it.

null

Postby null » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:12 am UTC

Huh oh well...Thanks for the replies. I guess ill be going sober this hols...

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:13 am UTC

null wrote:Huh oh well...Thanks for the replies. I guess ill be going sober this hols...

In all my time carding kids I have never heard this excuse. Congratulations. It's creative at least. But, if I took you seriously I'd bash you out of my way and run to give this person some real first aid. Vodka really isn't it, and it would lead me to believe a seriously injured person is in the hands of a lunatic.
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

Berengal
Superabacus Mystic of the First Rank

Postby Berengal » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:29 am UTC

Well, vodka works fine, at least in my experience. I once scratched the back of my hand, thought nothing of it at first, and then woke up the morning to the discovery of a somewhat irritating infection. The wound still hadn't closed properly (that is, the infection wasn't encapsulated yet), so I poured some vodka on it, swore, wiped and went on my merry way, infection gone and scratch healed to nothing but a thin red line by the evening.

However, disinfecting serious wounds is something different. The only time I've done it in recent times was at work when I cut myself with a knife once while cooking. I was working with raw meat, so didn't take the chance of just putting a band-aid on. Luckily we're a health care institution (even though we might not look like it to the casual observer), so by every sink there's an alcohol dispenser in addition to soap.
It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students who are motivated by money: As potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:29 am UTC

Don't use Bolskaya, or Blue Tassel. You'll only kill him.

Khonsu

Postby Khonsu » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:34 am UTC

I don't understand the burning need in the underaged to drink. I can drink, and I honestly don't have any urge to do it often. Why is it considered fun to be mentally sluggish, physically vulnerable, and unable to properly consider your actions? Maybe it's because I'm small and female, but I'm petrified of compromising my faculties. I never get more than a little tipsy, because I'm afraid of what would happen.

Drinking is NOT that fascinating. There's a reason laws are the way they are--most people are too stupid and irresponsible to handle substances properly. I don't agree with the laws, but I don't go around busting them, either, because that's generally a bad idea.

Personally, I think drinking and driving ages should be reversed. I find cars much more dangerous than liquor--it's when the two are combined by uselessly stupid teenagers that we run into tragedies.
Last edited by Khonsu on Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:44 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:39 am UTC

Khonsu wrote:I don't understand the burning need in the underaged to drink. I can drink, and I honestly don't have any urge to do it often. Why is it considered fun to be mentally sluggish, physically vulnerable, and unable to properly consider your actions? Maybe it's because I'm small and female, but I'm petrified of compromising my faculties. I never get more than a little tipsy, because I'm afraid of what would happen.

Could end up needing even more high strength alcohol to clean your wounds? :D
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

photosinensis

Postby photosinensis » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:54 am UTC

Use isopropanol (75% by volume) and not vodka (usually about 20%-30% by volume, though I've heard of more potent versions). The stuff you buy at a drug store is sterile and intended for antisepsis, unlike vodka, which will only do in the most dire of circumstances. You won't get carded for isopropanol, as drinking that stuff in large quantities will make you blind, and it doesn't make for a good experience. Using it on a wound, however, is perfectly safe.

There's also the fact that isopropanol is cheaper and easier to come by than vodka (at least, here in the States), and as the two are very closely related, chemically speaking, if there is no reaction to one, there will not be a reaction to the other.

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Don't use Bolskaya, or Blue Tassel. You'll only kill him.

Add McCormick's to that list. That shit is nasty.
While I clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning,
And my heart was filled with mournng, mourning for my dear amour.
"'Tis not possible!" I uttered, "Give me back my free hardcore!"
Quoth the server: 404.

Akula

Postby Akula » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:02 am UTC

Fossa wrote:But yes, you'll be carded. Most places card anyone who looks under 30 in my experience.

Until you get to the point that you're on a first name basis with every cashier at the liquor store...

...I am not an alcoholic!
"I never let my schooling interfere with my education" - Mark Twain

Berengal
Superabacus Mystic of the First Rank

Postby Berengal » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:03 am UTC

Seeing as the UK legal age is 18 (at least it was two years ago, when I was there), null might not consider himself underage. I know I don't, and I'm 20 (legal age in norway is 18 for beer and wine, 20 for spirits).

As for the underaged's need to drink, it probably has to do with the danger factor of doing something illegal. I do know that on the school trip to Germany when we were 16, most people were all "haha! We can drink legally! Screw you, Norwegian drinking laws! Now let's get totally wasted to stick it to the man!".

Me, I drink because it's fun to be slightly tipsy, funner to be tipsier and yet more fun to be yet tipsier (but with increasing chance of getting depressed if something crappy happens). Since I'm not among the most sociable people, parties could get very boring if I stay sober (not that they always do, but they could). I find the best place to be is somewhere between tipsy (which is sort of like sober, but funner) and drunk (which is when you start going from running the show directly to sort of just suggesting to your body what it should be doing (but still retaining alot of controll)).

@photosinensis: Vodka is almost exclusively either 37.5% or 40% here in Norway, with a few brands being 45%. I've never heard of anything less than 35%...
It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students who are motivated by money: As potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

null

Postby null » Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:41 am UTC

Yes, the drinking age in the UK is 18, so ive been drinking for ages...I am a university student afterall!

To be honest, i wasnt looking for spirits, id rather drink a decent Shiraz than some filthy vodka. And i wasnt looking to get drunk...I just enjoy being slightly tipsy.

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:08 pm UTC

...in fact in the UK, you may have wine or beer with a meal in a restaurant or hotel from 16 (I have this on extremely good authority. Stupid citizenship test).

I don't get the 21 thing in the US. At 20.5 years old I was not much less responsible than I am now by any measure. "Oh, you're 20? Yes you can drive, smoke, get married, be held legally accountable for your actions and have an abortion but drinking? Now that requires some responsibility!"
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

null

Postby null » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:13 pm UTC

In reply to Moo:

In theory you can get alcoholic drinks with a meal in the UK, but it doesnt really work. Ive been 17 with ID (drivers license), and refused wine on a date. B*stards.

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:21 pm UTC

Maybe it only works if you're with parental types. You get one :( for that story though.
On a date: just the right time to be belittled by waiter-types about your age!

Went to the States when I was 21 and got ID'ed all the time. As in my fiance of almost 30 at the time would go to the bar to buy him, me and his parents an after-dinner liquer and they would come over to my chair to check me out. I don't think you've got a chance in hell of getting away with it, in other words. Hooray for carrying my passport everywhere. Even then they frowned at it for 5 straight minutes every time.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:26 pm UTC

Moo wrote:I don't get the 21 thing in the US. At 20.5 years old I was not much less responsible than I am now by any measure. "Oh, you're 20? Yes you can drive, smoke, get married, be held legally accountable for your actions and have an abortion but drinking? Now that requires some responsibility!"

Keep in mind this is the same country that went through an experiment in banning alcohol completely, resulting in small-time criminal organizations becoming gigantic juggernauts that still influence popular culture. If not reality... beats me, I really don't know just how influential the Italian Mafia is these days...

Why 21? Probably because that was the most restrictive age limit and statistics showed that (surprise) there were more driving fatalities in states with lower drinking ages among people under the age of 21 or something. Or just tons of influence from various antialcohol organizations or whatever feeding them bad data.... for example.

Khonsu wrote:I don't understand the burning need in the underaged to drink

I don't understand people suspending themselves in the air via hooks in their back, or scarrification, or splitting the tounge in half, or why the hell American Eagle is still in existence, or why the fuck anyone gives even a rats ass about what movie stars are doing in their private life. People do stupid shit for incomprehensible reasons.

Also, drinking is fascinating, in my personal experience.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Axman

Postby Axman » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:39 pm UTC

1. You're a dick, dude. Just find some other kids and get high, pot's easier for the under-age to access, anyway.

2. For the record, the FDA recommends no alcohol-based antiseptic to be less than 62% alcohol by volume, so 151 and everclear (pure grain alcohol) really would be the best choices.

Irrational (?)

Postby 3.14159265... » Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:01 pm UTC

I know that feeling.

Yes, I am underage, but I am asking for WINE!

In my experience getting a fake ID, is the best plan. Even from someone that looks like you. I used my brothers for a long while.
"The best times in life are the ones when you can genuinely add a "Bwa" to your "ha""- Chris Hastings

silent man

Postby silent man » Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:06 pm UTC

Berengal wrote:As for the underaged's need to drink, it probably has to do with the danger factor of doing something illegal. I do know that on the school trip to Germany when we were 16, most people were all "haha! We can drink legally! Screw you, Norwegian drinking laws! Now let's get totally wasted to stick it to the man!".

Just to clear this up a little: 16 is the legal age for drinking beer and other drinks with low alcohol content. The legal age for the hard stuff is 18.
That being said, one might argue that the people selling it might have a somewhat more... relaxed attitude towards checking the age of anyone who isn't riding a tricyle or something.

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:43 am UTC

Haul the guy into a vehicle and gun it to Canada, where you're legal.
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

photosinensis

Postby photosinensis » Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:36 am UTC

3.14159265... wrote:I know that feeling.

Yes, I am underage, but I am asking for WINE!

In my experience getting a fake ID, is the best plan. Even from someone that looks like you. I used my brothers for a long while.

Here you go.
While I clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning,
And my heart was filled with mournng, mourning for my dear amour.
"'Tis not possible!" I uttered, "Give me back my free hardcore!"
Quoth the server: 404.

Seven
Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix Zero-One

Postby Seven » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:45 am UTC

null wrote:Theres been a medical emergency, and i need to buy some vodka to sterilise a wound. The injured person is allergic to all other forms of antiseptic. Unfortunately im 20, and british...so i have no idea how americans buy alcoholic beverages in you fine country. Is it standard practise to get IDed when buying said products? This guy could bleed out any minute...and my blackberry is running low on batteries...quick guys!
IF this were a real scenario, and the fellow "could bleed out any minute", sterilization would be a MUCH lower priority than stopping the bleeding. "Oh, sorry dude. I would perform a life-saving procedure on you, but I'm fresh out of alcohol wipes at the moment and the guy at 7-11 doesn't believe me that you're dying."

AFTER the life is saved, you run IV antibiotics in Hosp.

That is all.

[edit] ok, that's not all. I probably ruined your little fantasy... but seriously. No store clerk is going to buy that bullshit. Try a new one.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:59 am UTC

Got all the way to the end of the thread and Seven already said what I wanted to. No one urgently needs disinfecting or they'll die. Infections are slow (, painful, and nasty) so you'd be able to get him to a hospital just fine.

And you don't need vodka or any other liquor to tourniquet a wound.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Khonsu

Postby Khonsu » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:14 am UTC

I would have said that, but I knew he was bullshitting and didn't care about first aid, anyway.

Nullcline

Postby Nullcline » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:22 am UTC

Belial wrote:And you don't need vodka or any other liquor to tourniquet a wound.

I would need several shots of whiskey before I would even think to tourniquet someone else's weiner, for example.

I've found, with foreign friends when they visit, that claiming that you didn't know the legal age and that you've forgotten your passport works. Asking upper classmen helps, too.
Don't cross me.

Seven
Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix Zero-One

Postby Seven » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:28 am UTC

Nullcline wrote:I would need several shots of whiskey before I would even think to tourniquet someone else's weiner, for example.
Hahahaha! I know this is all a joke... but... if you had to tourniquet a wiener? You'd probably just be tying off a stump....

OP's question would be a good one for the #chans. Delicious copy pasta, I must eat it. lulz

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:59 pm UTC

Nullcline wrote:
Belial wrote:And you don't need vodka or any other liquor to tourniquet a wound.

I would need several shots of whiskey before I would even think to tourniquet someone else's weiner, for example.

I believe the word you are searching for is PENIS. Try to use it in the future.

Unless you really are trying to tie off a hot dog...... in which case, you've got strange friends with stranger ideas about food.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Spoffin

Postby Spoffin » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:42 pm UTC

Over the summer, I was working in America, and was only 20 years old. I found that by photocopying my British passport and changing the date of birth, and then photocopying it again, I was able to get served about 50% of the time, which is pretty good odds considering what a totally bullshit ploy I was using.

I had worse luck in the big chain bars, and did better in the smaller, more independent looking places.
The thing to remember about Spoffin is that he's playing by rules no one else understands

segmentation fault

Postby segmentation fault » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:38 pm UTC

Khonsu wrote:Personally, I think drinking and driving ages should be reversed. I find cars much more dangerous than liquor--it's when the two are combined by uselessly stupid teenagers that we run into tragedies.

i can probably guarantee the majority of people who drink and drive are those legally able to do both.

Male drivers, drivers in the 21-34 age group, and drivers who are of the "white" race constitute the largest percentage of drunk (or impaired) drivers in fatal crashes.
people are like LDL cholesterol for the internet

Return to “General”