Urban Exploration ( Exploring )

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Iv

Re: Urban Exploration ( Exploring )

Postby Iv » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:52 pm UTC

Paris has a vast subterranean galleries that you are not supposed to explore. More than 100 kms of galleries... Also I live near the business part of the city (La Défense) and it is possible to find pretty interesting (and desert) places in this very active hub of Parisian life. So many layers are built on top of each others there, that one has to think in 3D to find his way...

pieaholicx
The cake is a lie!

Postby pieaholicx » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:17 pm UTC

KevorkianKat wrote:
Izawwlgood wrote:, but frankly, deal with it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_St._L ... nois#Crime

No thanks, I'll live to a ripe old age and enjoy nature rather than potentially finding crack vials, fingers and dealing with armed hooligans who have nothing better to do than gut me and throw my corpse into the river. While the art potential intrigues me, my common sense meter says go look at trees and deer :)

You're near one of the few that beats me.

Try this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltimore,_Maryland#Crime
It's okay, I'm Chaotic Neutral. I can kill him over the loot.
Overexposure to pieaholicx may, in semi-rare cases, emancipate dental fillings, crowns, tooth enamel, and teeth.

wst

Postby wst » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:27 pm UTC

Rippy wrote:
Cheese wrote:I'd also participate in the school-ceiling thing, but would also get yelled at. But I don't think that there's much worth seeing up there, only the chance to get into locked rooms and mess things up look around.

"So many pretty cables, which do I cut?"

The school would go ape on me if I cut the fibre-optic bazillion megabit one to the outside world... *plot*
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

AbNo

Postby AbNo » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:51 am UTC

Sometimes, someone sends an IM your way in the dead of night, and you head out....

Darwin was right, but nanny-staters keep trying to undermine him

someguy

Postby someguy » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:44 pm UTC

This is one of the many UE sites I've visited repeatedly over the past few years:

http://www.xydexx.com/modernruins/tkc.htm

King's College. Apparently a few of the places they visited have since burned down. Some lovely pictures in there, in any case.

An abandoned vinyl pressing plant in Athens, Greece (two galleries):

http://www.uer.ca/locations/viewgal.asp ... alid=15522
http://www.uer.ca/locations/viewgal.asp ... alid=15523

Some random abandoned house, but check out the records flung into the walls :shock:. Trebuchet?

http://www.xydexx.com/modernruins/davis1.htm
aleflamedyud wrote:Plenty of people have confidence without any base of actual virtue or accomplishment beneath it. We call these people "douchebags".

eXS

Postby eXS » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:12 am UTC

I'm in the middle of planning a trip to Chernobyl with five or so friends, a road trip by minibus from Sweden in fact. We will visit some other interesting abandoned/forgotten places along the road (hopefully the old industry area where the movie Stalker was recorded).

I'm rather new to urban exploration though, have only been to a few places where i live, the main excursion being a boat trip in an underground sewer thingie. Our boats where stolen by the guards... at least 70 dollars worth :(

its pretty interesting though :>

Edit: my friends photoblag: http://www.slcom.myphotoalbum.com (Its not a link since I'm not allowed to. I didnt do the html but it came out as a hyper anyway) some of the pictures are from our current trip to Asia.
Last edited by eXS on Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:47 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Insert witty signature here and i will beat you.

wst

Postby wst » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:13 am UTC

eXS wrote:I'm in the middle of planning a trip to Chernobyl

Do not hit the glowing rocks together, riiiight ;)
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

ThorFluff
Ursus Onanis

Postby ThorFluff » Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:27 pm UTC

eXS wrote:I'm in the middle of planning a trip to Chernobyl with five or so friends, a road trip by minibus from Sweden in fact. We will visit some other interesting abandoned/forgotten places along the road (hopefully the old industry area where the movie Stalker was recorded).

I'm rather new to urban exploration though, have only been to a few places where i live, the main excursion being a boat trip in an underground sewer thingie. Our boats where stolen by the guards... at least 70 dollars worth :(

its pretty interesting though :>

Edit: my friends photoblag: http://www.slcom.myphotoalbum.com (Its not a link since I'm not allowed to. I didnt do the html but it came out as a hyper anyway) some of the pictures are from our current trip to Asia.

Heeey! good to see you found your way here finally. Side note; i would be atleast 1 of those 5 friends going with him
EsotericWombat wrote:You're... calling the Rolling Stones emo.

It might take a while to gather the lynch mob. no one really planned against this eventuality.

krynd wrote:That'd make an awesome sig. Unfortunately, I'm sure self-sigging isn't allowed...

someguy

Postby someguy » Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:56 pm UTC

eXS wrote:I'm in the middle of planning a trip to Chernobyl (...)

Did you guys see these?

http://www.kiddofspeed.com/chapter1.html

They're quite amazing; it's the site of a Ukrainian photographer who took a bike ride through the area.

I haven't surfed the site in a while but DO keep in mind that at least one of the pages has a rather gruesome picture of a malformed lamb that freaked the sh** out of me back when I first ran across it (I don't think there's any kind of warning.)
aleflamedyud wrote:Plenty of people have confidence without any base of actual virtue or accomplishment beneath it. We call these people "douchebags".

eXS

Postby eXS » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:04 pm UTC

someguy wrote:
eXS wrote:I'm in the middle of planning a trip to Chernobyl (...)

Did you guys see these?

http://www.kiddofspeed.com/chapter1.html

Yep, an old and awesome page. partly inspired me into examining the possibilities of venturing to 'Reactor Building Four'.

ThorFluff
Ursus Onanis

Postby ThorFluff » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:48 am UTC

Had not seen that, I'm now twitching to go!

It might take a while to gather the lynch mob. no one really planned against this eventuality.

krynd wrote:That'd make an awesome sig. Unfortunately, I'm sure self-sigging isn't allowed...

someguy

Postby someguy » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:02 am UTC

ThorFluff wrote:Had not seen that, I'm now twitching to go!

As long as you're not twitching when you come back... :P.

Hit3k

Postby Hit3k » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:13 am UTC

The most UE I've ever done was in some drain pipes behind my old house and an old building along a bike track I used to go down. Which has since been rebuilt :(

eXS wrote:I'm in the middle of planning a trip to Chernobyl

I want to visit Chernobyl one day. I think it would be awesome.
Sungura wrote:My mom made me watch a star wars. Two of them , actually. The Death Star one and the one where the dude ends up in the swamp with the weird guy who talks funny.

ThorFluff
Ursus Onanis

Postby ThorFluff » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:56 am UTC

Get in a car and start driving ;)

Spoffin

Postby Spoffin » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:26 pm UTC

Robin S wrote:
Rippy wrote:"So many pretty cables, which do I cut?"
The red one.

Anything fibre optic, cos they're the worst to repair or replace.

*is not evil*
The thing to remember about Spoffin is that he's playing by rules no one else understands

spi

Postby spi » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:32 am UTC

Here are photos that I have taken while exploring.

http://flickr.com/photos/spi/collection ... 215488945/

My favorites are the finds of a very neat steam plant and a foundry. There are all kinds of interesting places in the New England area.

PM me if you want a link to all of the photos those are just the public ones.
"Pain is a wonderful emotion, scariest sea in a world of oceans" - Iris

Windmill

Postby Windmill » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:47 am UTC

Anyone ever seen http://opacity.us?

Some fabulous shots of UE.

alkatmsu

Postby alkatmsu » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:59 pm UTC

someguy wrote:Some random abandoned house, but check out the records flung into the walls :shock:. Trebuchet?

http://www.xydexx.com/modernruins/davis1.htm

Obviously, zombies were involved at some point.

Lycur

Postby Lycur » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:50 am UTC

For anybody in or about Waterloo, Ontario I highly recommend the old La-z-Boy factory on Columbia and some other street the name of which escapes me (it's right behind Conestoga College's new campus).

Pretty much everything you could want in an UE: ladders, uncomfortably high heights, dank and freaky factory space, areas completely overgrown and obviously untouched by man for years.

simo

Postby simo » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:11 am UTC

Curently. I'm working on a contract to model the entire city of Venice Italy in 3d. Due to the nature of needing texture refs and stuff, I've had to go all over the city and to the boatyards and stuff. .. and I get paid to take photos of it. hehe :D.

I'll post some of the awesome shit I got photos of if anyone wants to see some. ...I'm back out there on Sunday.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:42 am UTC

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Don't be so fast to condemn, Jordan. After all, being a fucktard is serious business.

Strange... Firefox's dictionary recognises "fucktard" as a word. Oh, wait, it was set to American English (I'm not making this shit up; it really did accept it).

man, you is harsh for no good reason sometimes.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

scowdich
The Hedgehog

Postby scowdich » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:13 am UTC

This summer, my brother and I did some driving around Upper Michigan; in the course of our travels, we came across an old, abandoned house that had clearly been exposed to the elements for some time. The entire building was, for lack of a better word, skewed; windows were crooked, but intact, in their frames, and none of the door or window openings were square. The red paint on the outside of the house was peeling majestically, and the front screen door had fallen off its hinges and into the tall grass outside. Inside, we discovered that the ceiling of the front room had fallen partway in, scattering insulation everywhere and exposing the room upstairs. The coffee table and lamps were still intact under the fallen ceiling; rooting partway through the debris, we found a Bible and an old phonebook. The dining room and kitchen were similarly creepy; the counters were littered with empty cups and cereal boxes, as well as a couple coffee cans. The kitchen cupboards contained a few half-empty food boxes. On the kitchen table, we found an unopened census envelope from 1990, as well as a few newspapers fArom the same period on the porch. The stairs to the second story were narrow, dark, and had no railing, so we declined to go up. At about the time we finished exploring the kitchen, we froze in our shoes: a metallic banging noise filled the house, and we feared that whoever might be squatting here had returned. Eventually, the noise died down and we continued, though it returned intermittently.

On the way out of the house (through the garage and back door), we crossed what could only be described as a fault line: a three-inch gap in the floor, beyond which the floors and walls were skewed the other way. Passing through the back room (not really a garage) and the relatively non-descript rusted-out water heater, we found the back door jammed, so we backtracked back to the front. On our way to the back of the house, we found the source of the banging noise: a loose piece of metal siding had come loose from the eaves, and was swinging against the side of the house in the breeze.

Behind the house were a pair of outbuildings and a wooden frame that I can only adequately describe as a gibbet: it looked quite perfect for a hanging, and I can't think of any other purpose. The long toolshed behind the house appeared to have been hit by a meteorite: the roof was caved in around a central point, blocking the door (we resorted to climbing into the workshop through a window). Inside, we found nothing really descript; intact lightbulbs hung from collapsed roof beams, and grass grew in the light that the inexplicably perforated roof admitted. Left of the workshed (facing away from the house and road) was a large garage; this door, too, proved impossible to open, and it was only by peering through a small window that we could see that the concrete floor inside had cracked and buckled spectacularly, wedging the door closed to anything less than an axe. Tractor tires reclined against the back of the building.

Generally creeped out, we took a couple hundred pictures and left posthaste. (Pictures available upon request)

eXS

Postby eXS » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:02 am UTC

simo wrote:Curently. I'm working on a contract to model the entire city of Venice Italy in 3d. Due to the nature of needing texture refs and stuff, I've had to go all over the city and to the boatyards and stuff. .. and I get paid to take photos of it. hehe :D.

I'll post some of the awesome shit I got photos of if anyone wants to see some. ...I'm back out there on Sunday.

Awsome stuff! Cant imagine a better place than Venice to do something like that. And yeah, im requesting photos :)

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:12 am UTC

if i counts, i can count at least a half dozen ways to get into my school while it's 'fully locked up' and twice that to escape (for escaping, replace 'fully locked up' with 'during school hours where it's supposed to be difficult to leave')

edit: in case someone goes "that's not really what i'm saying..." does it help if it involves 'locked' doors, ladders, and the roof of the theatre?
uhhhh fuck.

Savoy_Truffle

Postby Savoy_Truffle » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:28 am UTC

I love company -- just being in the approximate vicinity of someone I love/trust/care for is enough to completely calm my soul. Thus my despair was great when I realized everyone else in my choir had formed their own groups to explore London and no one had said anything to me. Because my default opinion of myself is that I am merely an annoyance to pretty much everyone that knows me, I cried a bit, sucked it up, and walked into London completely alone. I got absolutely lost, found Fleet Street (frighteningly enough), was there for Blair's last day in office, and saw a show for student price on the West End. Perhaps a large urban exploration, but for a person with an hyper-pessimistic overprotective mother, staying out by myself past 11 pm in an enormous foreign city was pretty new to me ^^x.
Lux, Calida, Gravis que Pura velut aurum et canunt angeli moliter modo natum.

AbNo

Postby AbNo » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:46 am UTC

scowdich wrote:This summer, my brother and I did some driving around Upper Michigan; in the course of our travels, we came across an old, abandoned house that had clearly been exposed to the elements for some time.

Generally creeped out, we took a couple hundred pictures and left posthaste. (Pictures available upon request)

You should archive that and upload it somewhere. :mrgreen:
Darwin was right, but nanny-staters keep trying to undermine him

ThorFluff
Ursus Onanis

Postby ThorFluff » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:26 am UTC

AbNo wrote:
scowdich wrote:This summer, my brother and I did some driving around Upper Michigan; in the course of our travels, we came across an old, abandoned house that had clearly been exposed to the elements for some time.

You should archive that and upload it somewhere. :mrgreen:

http://www.photobucket.com
The Internets Demands It!!!

the_bandersnatch
Actually not so frumious.
Location: on a bed in a room inside a TV in a hotel room in a hotel on a Monopoly board

Postby the_bandersnatch » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:36 pm UTC

This thread has inspired me to go out exploring tonight, I'll keep you all posted on how it goes!
In girum imus nocte, et consumimur igni

M.qrius
Rainbow Brite

Postby M.qrius » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:24 pm UTC

Midnight wrote:if i counts, i can count at least a half dozen ways to get into my school while it's 'fully locked up' and twice that to escape (for escaping, replace 'fully locked up' with 'during school hours where it's supposed to be difficult to leave')

edit: in case someone goes "that's not really what i'm saying..." does it help if it involves 'locked' doors, ladders, and the roof of the theatre?

Don't they have an alarm installed?

KevorkianKat

Postby KevorkianKat » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:07 pm UTC

M.qrius wrote:
Midnight wrote:if i counts, i can count at least a half dozen ways to get into my school while it's 'fully locked up' and twice that to escape (for escaping, replace 'fully locked up' with 'during school hours where it's supposed to be difficult to leave')

Don't they have an alarm installed?

My old school did...but not on the roof ::^.^::

the Cow
Today India, tomorrow the world!

Postby the Cow » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:27 pm UTC

When I was young, my father took us (my brother and I) up into the clock tower of St. Luke's hospital. St. Luke's was open at the time, but the top floors had been decommissioned many years earlier. These included old abandoned wards, operating theaters, the animal experiment labs and kennels - all on the way to the multi-story clock tower. We passed through most these places by the light of a flashlight. Very scary.
...the whim of a hat.

spi

Postby spi » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:08 am UTC

Since I have so many photos on my site I thought I would post a few of my favorites:

A burned out laundry:
Abandoned truck:
Amusement park:
Holyland religious theme park:
Broken glass in a catholic school:

scowdich
The Hedgehog

Postby scowdich » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:07 pm UTC

Okay, currently failing to upload an archive of all the pictures we took, so here's some highlights. Alert: lotsa pictures ahead.

Spoiler:
IMG_3022.JPG
The house itself
IMG_3022.JPG (293.54 KiB) Viewed 3084 times

IMG_3025.JPG
The living room
IMG_3025.JPG (267.11 KiB) Viewed 3085 times

IMG_3031.JPG
Bedroom
IMG_3031.JPG (207.42 KiB) Viewed 3074 times

IMG_3032.JPG
Living room detail
IMG_3032.JPG (244.86 KiB) Viewed 3070 times

IMG_3034.JPG
Dining room
IMG_3034.JPG (215.88 KiB) Viewed 3069 times

IMG_3036.JPG
Kitchen
IMG_3036.JPG (210.17 KiB) Viewed 3070 times

IMG_3047.JPG
Living room ceiling
IMG_3047.JPG (237.05 KiB) Viewed 3066 times

IMG_3061.JPG
A really neat porch window
IMG_3061.JPG (329.54 KiB) Viewed 3065 times

IMG_3065.JPG
Best doorknob ever
IMG_3065.JPG (197.8 KiB) Viewed 3065 times

IMG_3070.JPG
Detail of the back, showing the "fault line"
IMG_3070.JPG (275.49 KiB) Viewed 3062 times

IMG_3073.JPG
The back wall
IMG_3073.JPG (281.16 KiB) Viewed 3061 times

IMG_3078.JPG
The workshed
IMG_3078.JPG (272.87 KiB) Viewed 3057 times

IMG_3082.JPG
The "gibbet"...thing
IMG_3082.JPG (212.37 KiB) Viewed 3057 times

IMG_3095.JPG
Plants grew over the windows of the workshed.
IMG_3095.JPG (223.69 KiB) Viewed 3052 times

IMG_3131.JPG
There was also a small gardening shed, where we found this thermos and lightbulb. And I just love this picture.
IMG_3131.JPG (196.91 KiB) Viewed 3053 times

J Spade
Luppoewagan

Postby J Spade » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:30 pm UTC

KevorkianKat wrote:
Izawwlgood wrote:, but frankly, deal with it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_St._L ... nois#Crime

No thanks, I'll live to a ripe old age and enjoy nature rather than potentially finding crack vials, fingers and dealing with armed hooligans who have nothing better to do than gut me and throw my corpse into the river. While the art potential intrigues me, my common sense meter says go look at trees and deer :)

Baltimore's got you beat down and stabbed, man. The wiki on Charm City doesn't have a nifty chart like yours does, but you better believe the numbers are worse.

ThorFluff
Ursus Onanis

Postby ThorFluff » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:12 pm UTC

*Stares at Scowdichs pics*
Win and awesome my good sir!

Gem

Postby Gem » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:41 am UTC

I've always wanted to go exploring, but the friends who live near me wouldn't be into that. And I'd rather not go on my own. :(

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:46 am UTC

spi wrote:Since I have so many photos on my site I thought I would post a few of my favorites:

A burned out laundry:
Abandoned truck:
Amusement park:
Holyland religious theme park:
Broken glass in a catholic school:

Creepy Pasta is creepy.

I find this really creepy actually, especially the last one.

litework

Postby litework » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:06 am UTC

Damn, I used to do this all the time and didn't know it was such a widespread thing to do! Or even think to take pictures :|
Question Without Fear

spi

Postby spi » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:18 pm UTC

litework wrote:Damn, I used to do this all the time and didn't know it was such a widespread thing to do! Or even think to take pictures :|

Yeah it is funny how once you start talking to people many go "Oh I didn't know that actually had a name, I do that all the time".

Picture taking is one part of the fun. The other is getting into a place without doing any vandalism at all. :)

Aleril wrote:Creepy Pasta is creepy.

I find this really creepy actually, especially the last one.

Creepiness is part and parcel of the game. Makes things interesting.

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:29 am UTC

Lycur wrote:For anybody in or about Waterloo, Ontario I highly recommend the old La-z-Boy factory on Columbia and some other street the name of which escapes me (it's right behind Conestoga College's new campus).

Pretty much everything you could want in an UE: ladders, uncomfortably high heights, dank and freaky factory space, areas completely overgrown and obviously untouched by man for years.

Note made.
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

Return to “General”