Job help

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

l33t_sas

Job help

Postby l33t_sas » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:48 am UTC

So I'm not 100% sure this should go in here so I leave it up to the discretion of the moderators to move if they should so please.

I've been thinking about getting a new/different job (I am currently working in McDonalds. I was hoping for a book store or something like that because I enjoy reading though I'd also be happy with a supermarket.

My question is, at 16 years of age and going to school practically full-time, what places are likely to hire me for part-time or casual work, not including fast-food? I have no real skills though I am an avid reader and enjoy board games.

Oh yeah, I live in Australia and am looking for a salary of around $10/an hour. though naturally, more is fine :P
You're thinking of a Pegasus. Unicorns don't fly, they just sort of... plummet.

Fossa

Re: Job help

Postby Fossa » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:13 am UTC

In the US you could be hired most anywhere. Retail of any kind (book stores included) is common, though really its about what sort of image you present at that point and whether its apropriate for where you're applying.

I worked at a retail store for 2.5 years at your age and I knew the PR manager who did the hiring pretty well. He would routinely remark to me after interviews things like "Yeah, no way I'm hiring him. Did you see what he came in wearing?" Image is everything for jobs that don't require skills.

Habanero

Postby Habanero » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:34 am UTC

At 16 yrs old, a job is just a job. Once you get through college, Mickey D's is a pretty damn fine thing on your resume.

I know, you think I'm kidding. I"M NOT! Fast food is one of the toughest jobs I can think of. If you have been good at it and successful, I would hire you. If you had the education of any interesting skill, you have credentials that indicate you KNOW HOW TO WORK!

My $0.02.
Why make things difficult when it is possible to make them cryptic and totally illogical with just a little bit more effort?

Cephalus

Postby Cephalus » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:17 am UTC

Try to get a job at a real restaurant. Start in dishwashing, move to bussing or hosting, finagle for a move to waiter or something. All of these will be far better suited to getting you a job in college that pays well - like as a server. At 16 I started as a dishwasher, was a host (real easy job) in 6 months, and a waiter my senior year. I can now get a job pretty much anywhere that pays 15$ an hour or so, because I have waiting experience at several restaurants.

This may be different in Australia though - I don't think waiting tables there is as high paying as it is here.
Lurker Extraordinaire

akashra

Postby akashra » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:27 am UTC

l33t_sas wrote:My question is, at 16 years of age and going to school practically full-time, what places are likely to hire me for part-time or casual work, not including fast-food? I have no real skills though I am an avid reader and enjoy board games.

Oh yeah, I live in Australia and am looking for a salary of around $10/an hour. though naturally, more is fine :P

Consider what you hope to do in future though. Sure, working at a supermarket, department store, cafe, restaurant or fast food joint are good money to help you have a life, but will they help you advance your career (if you want one)? Probably not.

A job at a bookstore or library I actually consider to be a step up from waiter/watress or store clerk, since you tend to actually end up with a decent knowledge of a material. The same is somewhat true for a specialty store (for instance, it's kinda hard to work at a bike store for any extended period and not pick up a lot of mechanical knowledge - the same was true of a girl I used to know who worked at Lincraft). I find those who work at bookstores and libraries have a whole ton of trivial knowledge, sometimes useful.

I made it a point when I was your age and had to do a mandatory work experience unit in year 10 to not go into retail work. I did that at Telspec (who are now out of business), who used to make Pair Gain equipment (for telephony infrastructure). I was only there ea couple of weeks but picked up a heap of stuff that gave me a huge head start when I did my Diploma of Electronics, Dip Engineering, and Bachelor of Science.

If you're wanting to go into IT, I'd be either trying to get a part time role at your school (or a local primary school) doing/learning basic networking/support stuff. Alternatively try to pick up small development jobs if you're into coding or graphic design.

Obviously there's little point suggesting particular fields if you have no interest in them, but if you gave us more of an idea, some people might have more relevant suggestions.
( find / -name \*base\* -exec chown us : us { } \ ; )

bluebambue
An der schönen blauen Donau

Postby bluebambue » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:37 am UTC

I don't know the situation in Australia, but where I live $10 for an entry level job is rather high. I was happy with my $8.50 and had a couple of friends who made $9.

You could try lifegaurding, I think they make a fair amount and their hours are generally good for students.

akashra

Postby akashra » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:50 am UTC

Yes, we here in Australia have laws which actually protect people from being effectively forced into slave labor, unlike what the minimum wage which America somehow finds acceptable.

Axman

Postby Axman » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:44 am UTC

Federal minimum wage is not local minimum wage, which is often higher, not to mention the fact that I don't know a single person who ever actually worked at minimum. Not even illegal immigrants. Not even high school kids, which brings me back around to:

Don't work at a place that makes you either fucking hate 1) your job/self, or 2) school.

It's not worth the hassle, and there are plenty of uncommon jobs. Don't limit yourself to things that seem normal or expected of high school kids.

If you've got a church/temple/spaghetti factory, here's your reminder that religious institutions are social institutions; ask for help there, someone will offer you a job that doesn't suck.

btilly

Postby btilly » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:01 am UTC

Cephalus wrote:Try to get a job at a real restaurant. Start in dishwashing, move to bussing or hosting, finagle for a move to waiter or something. All of these will be far better suited to getting you a job in college that pays well - like as a server. At 16 I started as a dishwasher, was a host (real easy job) in 6 months, and a waiter my senior year. I can now get a job pretty much anywhere that pays 15$ an hour or so, because I have waiting experience at several restaurants.

This may be different in Australia though - I don't think waiting tables there is as high paying as it is here.

My mother strongly recommended this kind of work if you want the freedom to take certain kinds of risks later on in life. Like travel to strange places, start up your own business, etc. The reason, as silly as it sounds, is that if you're in real trouble you can get a job as a waiter and get fed on the day you start work! In other kinds of jobs you have to wait until you get your paycheck before you can get food.

I didn't follow her advice, but my mother had, and my siblings did. In at least a couple of cases it came in useful. (I've also run across the reasoning from other people, including Brian Fox, the author of GNU readline and later a successful businessman.)
Some of us exist to find out what can and can't be done.

Others exist to hold the beer.

Silverfish

Postby Silverfish » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:09 am UTC

Habanero wrote:At 16 yrs old, a job is just a job. Once you get through college, Mickey D's is a pretty damn fine thing on your resume.

QFT, I worked at a grocery store here in the states, Piggly Wiggly, when I was 16. I was a bag boy and cashier. Now that I'm in college, while filling out my resume information, I've had resume coaches suggest that I add my grocery store job to my resume.
1. It looks good if you have nothing else.
2. (more importantly) having a crap job during highschool gives companies the impression that you were/are willing to work.

Axman wrote:Federal minimum wage is not local minimum wage, which is often higher, not to mention the fact that I don't know a single person who ever actually worked at minimum. Not even illegal immigrants. Not even high school kids

In North Carolina, where I live, during the time I worked at Piggly Wiggly, our state minimum wage was the federal minimum wage. I also was paid the minimum wage, $5.15 per hour. It really wasn't great, but the cost of living in my home town isn't that much. After working almost a year I got a raise to $5.35 per hour. :roll:
Recently our state minimum wage went up to $6.15 per hour, which is good news for unskilled laborers.

My advice on a job while also doing school full time:
If you can, find something you like: computer repair, library work, etc. If you can't find something you like then at least find something that has a fun/laid back atmosphere. I think that is an important aspect to a job. Just don't work anywhere that you can't possibly stand. That is why I left my grocery store job, I was getting disgruntled. :wink:

akashra

Postby akashra » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:20 am UTC

Holy crap. And to think my first job was $80/hr.

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:24 am UTC

^How the hell did you manage that? O.o I could speculate, but I really dont think I'd be very accurate.

My current job is about $10 an hour, which is rather low. Minimum wage is a bit under $14, but that only applies at 21. Alot of people I know earn around $15-21/hour.

And then they use my staff discount for their computer stuff... bah :P
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

akashra

Postby akashra » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:29 am UTC

Toeofdoom wrote:^How the hell did you manage that?

Contract software development for about 6 months. Contract rate tends to be about twice full time rate. Mind you, no way I would have started off at $85k in a full-time roll at the time, the industry was quite a bit different back then. Nowadays I can't even find good graduates to hire at $60k, there's just that many jobs available for them to choose from :(

Toeofdoom

Postby Toeofdoom » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:39 am UTC

Eh thats fair enough I guess. Apparently tutoring classes in uni pays close to that actually... which seems pretty cool, because I have some practice at teaching...

But I think you can only do that while doing a PhD... damnit.

This is why I resisted when my parents wanted me to get a part time job... they all seem to suck, paywise anyway.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

akashra

Postby akashra » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:49 am UTC

FWIW I was earning $27/hr when tutoring uni classes, plus an hour prep and an hour marking. So for tutoring 2 hours of classes I was brining in about $100/week. Situation is a bit different here in .au though.

Toeofdoom

Postby Toeofdoom » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:53 am UTC

first thing: I am in australia. In melbourne too infact.

Quote from one of my lecturers (on a forum too...)

drmark wrote:Govt scholarships (called Australian Postgraduate Awards) currently are worth $19,616 per year, which doesn't sound like a lot but it's tax-free dollars. Add to this the fact that most people in a Masters or PhD program usually do some tutoring on the side (at around $90 per hour) and you can make a pretty reasonable income.

Website

keozen
The Bearded FaiD Batman

Postby keozen » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:55 am UTC

When I was your age I did supermarket work (Uurghh) and also did a stint as a part time reception guy in a gym on evenings at one point. As soon as I hit 18 (drinking age in the UK) I flipped over and did pub work (Being a barman is fun).

The supermarket work was ok, mind numbing but as people have said, at 16 a job is a job. One thing I did is I wrote up a basic CV, copied it around 30 times with a cover letter saying that I was looking for part time work outside of school and then handed in copies to most places in town asking for the mindless drones (who I was aspiring to be) to pass it on to their manager. I got a few interviews that way.

MoonBuggy

Postby MoonBuggy » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:58 am UTC

Fossa wrote:I worked at a retail store for 2.5 years at your age and I knew the PR manager who did the hiring pretty well. He would routinely remark to me after interviews things like "Yeah, no way I'm hiring him. Did you see what he came in wearing?" Image is everything for jobs that don't require skills.

Just out of interest, what is it that your manager would consider acceptable/unacceptable? A suit? An xkcd shirt?

It's a topic I've always found quite interesting - whether dressing up in something you wouldn't otherwise wear indicates respect, or whether simply being happy to wear your normal clothes shows a willingness to allow who you are stand on its own. Maybe I think too much about this kind of thing, but meh, they made me wear school uniform for most of my life so now I have a reflexive hatred of dress codes :)

Back on topic: if you're looking to work retail, I'd say a book shop or such like is a great idea. Most jobs standing behind the counter are similar, it's the people that make all the difference. I'd really disagree with anyone talking about career prospects at your age - do whatever job will be the most pleasant from day to day and worry about all the rest when it actually becomes an issue.
Michael McClary, in alt.fusion, wrote:Irrigation of the land with sewater desalinated by fusion power is ancient. It's called 'rain'.

Toeofdoom

Postby Toeofdoom » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:02 pm UTC

oh, and finally talking to the OP.

Well, start off by thinking of an ideal (realistic) job. This may be, say, working at a computer store or music (not cd, I mean like, musical instruments) store, for whatever purpose. These places need stuff sold and shelves stocked too, and it's much more interesting if you can look at what you're carrying and go, wow, thats cool.

Of course, these places are hard to get jobs at, so you print off a buttload of resumes and hand them in at any place that seems remotely interesting.

The problem is, if you go to somewhere thats too interesting and the manager knows it, they'll probably rip you off at every opportunity. Still, I'm not sure McDonalds is much better.

Website

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:23 pm UTC

Take my job, man. I just had my last shift at Bunnings. :P

Getting a job that's at least tangentially related to your interests or potential career path is a good idea, but it's not always possible, especially not at 16. At your level you basically have a shot at most retail and food services stores, generally doing entry-level things like nightfill, dishes etc. It might suck for now, but you can generally work your way up as you get older. If you find the right place it can keep you going all the way through high school and university and you can move into more interesting roles.

As far as pay goes: it will vary a reasonable amount depending on where you want to work and what you're doing. If you can manage above $15 per hour at 16, you're doing pretty well, but anything from $10-$15 is realistic.

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:09 pm UTC

IMO: Wearing something you wouldn't usually shows the desire to make a good impression and that you have gotten yourself informed about where you are applying and what the environment is like. I don't wear a business suit on a Saturday at home but that doesn't mean that when I had an interview at Bloomberg I wore jeans - it is a professional environment, I needed to prove that (a) I knew enough about the company to know that (b) I respect this fact (c) I can be professional too. I wasn't being dishonest or fake. I just made the effort, which is important.

Wearing what you want shows that you are not willing to compromise. And not compromise in the bad way, compromise in the considerate and flexible way.

Back on topic, I would think if you were going somewhere like a bookstore you would wear smart-casual - slacks, nice shoes, a shirt without a tie? And a bag with a Shakespeare quote?
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Toeofdoom

Postby Toeofdoom » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:21 pm UTC

My current job seems to let me do pretty much whatever the hell I want. I even turned up like, 4 hours late once (not exactly my fault) and they didn't really care. I also wear casual clothes all the time there and can use my (considerable) staff discount on anything I want, even if I'm not buying it for me.

Website

El Senor Fruit Swing

Postby El Senor Fruit Swing » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:35 pm UTC

Cephalus wrote:Try to get a job at a real restaurant. Start in dishwashing, move to bussing or hosting, finagle for a move to waiter or something. All of these will be far better suited to getting you a job in college that pays well - like as a server. At 16 I started as a dishwasher, was a host (real easy job) in 6 months, and a waiter my senior year. I can now get a job pretty much anywhere that pays 15$ an hour or so, because I have waiting experience at several restaurants.

YES..
I was in your same situation. McDonald's was paying minimum wage. I quit there because of crappy work conditions, looked for a job for a year found one at a real restaurant. The money is so much better I'm a bus boy. I make 30-40 dollars a night. It's pretty much the same work as McDonald's minus taking orders. Definitely go for a real restaurant job. That way you can have money on hand and a check for the bank.
Raiku wrote: Oh, I 'Falcon Punched' a tree for the hell of it, and it's still quite bloody...

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:02 pm UTC

Tipping isn't customary in Australia, so no cash in hand that way. That's compensated for by actually having a real wage, though.

the Cow
Today India, tomorrow the world!

Postby the Cow » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:44 pm UTC

When I was young I had several part time jobs including dishwasher, busboy, reading for the blind, yard work, camp counselor, and telephone sales. Telephone sales was the worst. Even being a dishwasher (up to my elbows in other people's leftovers) was better.
...the whim of a hat.

btilly

Postby btilly » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:50 pm UTC

the Cow wrote:When I was young I had several part time jobs including dishwasher, busboy, reading for the blind, yard work, camp counselor, and telephone sales. Telephone sales was the worst. Even being a dishwasher (up to my elbows in other people's leftovers) was better.

The worst job that anyone I've ever known has had is collecting sperm samples from pigs for use in artificial insemination.

She said the worst part of it was how happy they were to see her.

Another really bad job is to be a model for medical students to practice pelvic and rectal exams on. Part time work, pays really well, but you don't want to do it.
Some of us exist to find out what can and can't be done.

Others exist to hold the beer.

akashra

Postby akashra » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:13 am UTC

Hawknc wrote:Tipping isn't customary in Australia, so no cash in hand that way. That's compensated for by actually having a real wage, though.

No, in fact it's pretty widely regarded as a stupid idea and a huge failure in the way US society operates :)

Rethius

Postby Rethius » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:22 am UTC

I worked at a movie theater part time when I was 16. Decent hours, pretty simple work, and the ability to see any movies for free.. with a guest? Yes please.

Stay the hell away from concessions, though. That's where they get you.

Berengal
Superabacus Mystic of the First Rank

Postby Berengal » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:48 pm UTC

I have a pretty comfy job now. I say this despite calling in sick for tomorrow today (at least it was three-quaters true, as it's 3/4 chance of being true tomorrow, so one could really say I was playing it safe for the good of those who would've been dependant on me tomorrow (yay for rationalizing)).
I get to work with people, but always the same people, so both social AND no meeting new people all the time (both are a pluss for me). I get to both do traditional work things, like wash, clean, do dishes, make food etc. Things that says "this is work, and you get paid for doing it." I also do things that aren't tiring and are pretty nice, like watch movies, go for walks, play games.. Oh, and I get to work in the evenings if I want to, or in the weekends if I want that. It's open 16/7, so you can pretty much choose whenever you want, and nobody wants the ones I do.
It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students who are motivated by money: As potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

Marvin

Postby Marvin » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:23 am UTC

and to think that i worked for 3$/h and was happy with it...
geez... now i want to move somewhere else...
damn... i'm not sure i'll get 10$/h with engineer degree... this place sucks big time...
--
If God intended us to program we would be born with serial I/O ports.

Enid

Postby Enid » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:26 am UTC

Silverfish wrote:In North Carolina, where I live, during the time I worked at Piggly Wiggly, our state minimum wage was the federal minimum wage. I also was paid the minimum wage, $5.15 per hour. It really wasn't great, but the cost of living in my home town isn't that much. After working almost a year I got a raise to $5.35 per hour. :roll:
Recently our state minimum wage went up to $6.15 per hour, which is good news for unskilled laborers.

My goodness, there are places in North Carolina that havn't been completely taken over by Harris Teeter? That's where I work. And half the poeple I know. It's kinda pathetic, but it pays the best ($8.25) for jobs it's feasible for me to get. While cashiering is mind numbing, it isn't very difficult.

Man, I want my summer job back. Paid internship at the library that pays better than that stupid grocery store? Yes, please!

Minchandre

Postby Minchandre » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:00 am UTC

Marvin wrote:and to think that i worked for 3$/h and was happy with it...
damn... i'm not sure i'll get 10$/h with engineer degree... this place sucks big time...

Where do you live? I'm getting paid $18US/hour for an engineering internship, and I'm not even out of college!

Alternatively, what the hell kind of engineer are you? An 18th century literature engineer?

TheTankengine
Our Fora-father

Postby TheTankengine » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:21 am UTC

Minchandre wrote:

Where do you live? I'm getting paid $18US/hour for an engineering internship, and I'm not even out of college!

Alternatively, what the hell kind of engineer are you? An 18th century literature engineer?

Co-ops are the shit! I made $16.89 during my final semester of co-op.
Perhaps he is a perpetual motion engineer?

akashra wrote:
Hawknc wrote:Tipping isn't customary in Australia, so no cash in hand that way. That's compensated for by actually having a real wage, though.

No, in fact it's pretty widely regarded as a stupid idea and a huge failure in the way US society operates :)

Are you kidding me? Waiters can make very decent money only getting "paid" $2.13/hr. My roommate waits tables at a middle-to-expensive italian restaurant and he can make around $150 on a Friday or Saturday night alone. And that is for maybe ~6 hours of work. ETA:Plus free dinner! Can't beat that.
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

Marvin

Postby Marvin » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:29 am UTC

Minchandre wrote:

i live in croatia, and i expect to find a job with 1000$-1500$ per month... and with round 20 days of 8h work in a month, gets to round 6.25$-9.4$ per hour... (and 1000$ looks much more likely)
i'm not yet an engineer, but it will be computer science...

when i saw 10$/h with 16 years and no school, i was like :shock:
(and the minimum wage in croatia is a little bit less than 300$, while average is under 1000$)
--

UmbralRaptor

Postby UmbralRaptor » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:18 am UTC

akashra wrote:FWIW I was earning $27/hr when tutoring uni classes, plus an hour prep and an hour marking. So for tutoring 2 hours of classes I was brining in about $100/week. Situation is a bit different here in .au though.

...maybe I should move to .au? I make $7.25/hr tutoring ($8.18 Australian).

Marvin: For comparison, how expensive are things (rent, food, cars, etc.) in Croatia? (in dollars, as a percent of a $1000 (I am assuming US dollars) a month job, or whatever)
Why do you assume that I exist?

Marvin

Postby Marvin » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:39 am UTC

UmbralRaptor wrote:Marvin: For comparison, how expensive are things (rent, food, cars, etc.) in Croatia? (in dollars, as a percent of a $1000 (I am assuming US dollars) a month job, or whatever)

hmmm... we calculate more in € than $ but i'll try...
you can have an apartment with 2 rooms (2rooms + kitchen+ bathroom) for round 250€, that is round 330$, 3rooms for 420$...
bread is round 1$, milk is 0,75$ per liter
beer is 1$ 0,5l in store, round 2$ in pub (that's for cheap domestic beer, imported is more)...
cars are (new) from i'd say 12000$ for smallest (renault clio, opel corsa...), but i don't think those differ too much from rest of europe (being a high value items you don't buy every day so people would import them anyway if the prices weren't reasonable)...
gas is round 1.5$ per liter...

that should give you the picture...
--

Silverfish

Postby Silverfish » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:23 am UTC

Enid wrote:
Silverfish wrote:In North Carolina, where I live, during the time I worked at Piggly Wiggly, our state minimum wage was the federal minimum wage. I also was paid the minimum wage, $5.15 per hour. It really wasn't great, but the cost of living in my home town isn't that much. After working almost a year I got a raise to $5.35 per hour. :roll:

My goodness, there are places in North Carolina that havn't been completely taken over by Harris Teeter? That's where I work. And half the poeple I know. It's kinda pathetic, but it pays the best ($8.25) for jobs it's feasible for me to get. While cashiering is mind numbing, it isn't very difficult.

The main grocery stores in my hometown were Food Lion and Piggly Wiggly. In my part of the state, the eastern portion, I see mainly Food Lions and Piggly Wigglys. I guess the bigger towns and cities have Harris Teeters and Krogers, but it seems like the rural areas stick with the pig..and the lion.

El Senor Fruit Swing

Postby El Senor Fruit Swing » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:28 pm UTC

Silverfish wrote:
Enid wrote:

The main grocery stores in my hometown were Food Lion and Piggly Wiggly. In my part of the state, the eastern portion, I see mainly Food Lions and Piggly Wigglys. I guess the bigger towns and cities have Harris Teeters and Krogers, but it seems like the rural areas stick with the pig..and the lion.

You got Kroger's too? Yay go us!
Raiku wrote: Oh, I 'Falcon Punched' a tree for the hell of it, and it's still quite bloody...

Return to “General”