What you don't understand

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
Iori_Yagami
Posts: 606
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:37 pm UTC

What you don't understand

Postby Iori_Yagami » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:08 pm UTC

The real topic. That is not some light-hearted confessional thread. Pfft! This is ultimate honesty test. Deal with the pain and try to diminish it in others by giving clues to brain-scorching questions.
I firmly believe EVERYONE has at least one topic, theme, idea he/she cannot understand, but wishes so much! It is really, really pleasant and rewarding to start understanding something you always thought was too much for you, painfully injuring self-esteem.
It is tricky for someone who pursues power of knowledge to admit natural thinking imperfection and failure. Yes, you tend to hide it and mask it and never talk about it. The issue, however, pops out at random times and everyone seems to understand it except you and it gives you PAIN.
Yes, the same ugly feeling you have after rereading something for 14 times and still not grasping it. Sometimes, stupid conventions prevent us from asking questions - pure evilness. And THEN they ask where CD trays mistaken for coffee stands come from. From EXACTLY there - unwillingness to share knowledge. I am the ultimate proponent of knowledge spreading, as many of you, I believe, also are.

I will start. Does non-linear dynamics AKA chaos theory actually say that there can be many values of a function for a single argument? I never understood that point. Also all ND is rather vague to me...


Moderator's Note: This thread has potential value as long as people don't fill it with jokes, mockery and flame. Let's keep this one on-topic and useful, please?
They cannot defend themselves; they cannot run away. INSANITY is their only way of escape.

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26528
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: What you don't understand

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:28 pm UTC

People.

Specifically, interpersonal interaction.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
thecommabandit
Posts: 1884
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:25 pm UTC
Location: Manchester, UK
Contact:

Re: What you don't understand

Postby thecommabandit » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:47 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:People.

Specifically, interpersonal interaction.

Quoted for relevance. Small talk specifically, I just don't understand how to do it, but occasionally fake my way through enough to get to real, interesting conversation.

Also, how binary translates into things like user interfaces and images. How can something being one or zero be interpreted by something that itself works from zeroes and ones? It boggles my mind.
Image

Minchandre
Posts: 524
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:36 am UTC

Re: What you don't understand

Postby Minchandre » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:10 pm UTC

Tact. I've never really understood what is and isn't okay to say to people.

thecommabandit wrote:Also, how binary translates into things like user interfaces and images. How can something being one or zero be interpreted by something that itself works from zeroes and ones? It boggles my mind.


Take the following class sequence (or read the following book sequence): C, Assembler, Digital Logic. If you want, you can follow it up with some transistors and then solid state physics for completeness.

User avatar
Mittins
Posts: 137
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:52 pm UTC
Location: Canada

Re: What you don't understand

Postby Mittins » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:24 pm UTC

thecommabandit wrote:Also, how binary translates into things like user interfaces and images. How can something being one or zero be interpreted by something that itself works from zeroes and ones? It boggles my mind.


I know how it works and it still boggles my mind. That's what's so fun about it!
Randall wrote:Some said the world should be in Perl;
Some said in Lisp...

User avatar
El Senor Fruit Swing
Posts: 1048
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:57 pm UTC
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: What you don't understand

Postby El Senor Fruit Swing » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:26 pm UTC

How some people can make it day to day. You know the people who seem so stupid if breathing was mandatory they'd forget.

I take it that last post was aimed at me, and I can breath just fine.
Last edited by El Senor Fruit Swing on Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:46 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Raiku wrote: Oh, I 'Falcon Punched' a tree for the hell of it, and it's still quite bloody...

User avatar
Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!
Posts: 11265
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 9:16 pm UTC
Location: Prince George In A Can
Contact:

Re: What you don't understand

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:45 pm UTC

EDIT: Removed for snarkiness.
Last edited by Mighty Jalapeno on Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:07 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!
Posts: 5972
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:10 pm UTC
Location: :uoıʇɐɔol

Re: What you don't understand

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:48 pm UTC

El Senor Fruit Swing wrote:How some people can make it day to day. You know the people who seem so stupid if breathing was mandatory they'd forget.

I take it that last post was aimed at me, and I can breath just fine.


El Senor Fruit Swing wrote:I take it that last post was aimed at me, and I can breath just fine.


El Senor Fruit Swing wrote:and I can breath just fine.


El Senor Fruit Swing wrote:breath just fine.


El Senor Fruit Swing wrote:breath
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

ParanoidDrone
Posts: 514
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:38 am UTC
Location: idk ask my bff jill

Re: What you don't understand

Postby ParanoidDrone » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:51 pm UTC

Anything involving social interactions with members of the opposite sex. I mean really, what do you say when your best friend asks you if you think they're cute?
Insert witty phrase here.

User avatar
MFHodge
Posts: 4246
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:27 pm UTC
Location: :noitacoL Raleigh, NC
Contact:

Re: What you don't understand

Postby MFHodge » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:54 pm UTC

ParanoidDrone wrote:What do you say when your best friend asks you if you think they're cute?

Either give an emphatic, honest yes, or find a positive adjective that is accurate. Something like, "You're more 'elegant' than 'cute'." If she's really not attractive, it's usually OK to fib a little.
Image

User avatar
Alisto
Crazy like a BOX!
Posts: 3998
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:14 pm UTC
Location: South Jersey
Contact:

Re: What you don't understand

Postby Alisto » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:17 pm UTC

How people confuse the url "forums.xkcd.com" with "livejournal.com".

How people don't realize the following: If every person of a particular group -- say, women for example -- confuses you, causes you turmoil, and 'ruins your life', then maybe it's not them with the problem.
Bad grammar makes me [sic].
Crazy like a BOX!
<Jauss> Because karaoke, especially karaoke + lesbians = Alisto, amirite?
<rachel> Old people ain't got shit to do but look at clocks.

User avatar
theonemephisto
Posts: 139
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:53 pm UTC

Re: What you don't understand

Postby theonemephisto » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:24 pm UTC

Other people's minds. I assume that they don't work like mine does, but I just can't understand what goes on in there.

User avatar
Iori_Yagami
Posts: 606
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:37 pm UTC

Re: What you don't understand

Postby Iori_Yagami » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:29 pm UTC

As for bits and information, it is a very hard concept. It is mostly trying to separate data and code. One levels code is another one's data... Many things are just somewhat intuitional here... You see, RAM is just like a long strip of cells. The processor is endlessly looping and feeding off that strip. Well, programmer's task is just make this looping organized well, so that does useful tasks. Of course, that is incredibly difficult, so there are techniques how to organize that job, and techniques how to organize that job also, and... so far. I don't want to advertise, but Tanenbaum's 'Computer architecture' has some useful information, although it is not exhaustive. The whole beauty of principles of binary logic is so remarkable - you can write ANY of 16 functions using just Sheffer's stroke. It is proven by logic and math. So, you can simulate anything using just NAND gates.

BTW, what's up with non-linear dynamics? Am I not getting something? All those attractors, phase portraits, bifurcation points, 2 system evolution paths... Is it really pseudoscience? It seems quite sciency to me, although I couldn't really understand it, though I had an non-obligatory course on it.


Oh, yeah - I forgot. I don't understand spatial dimensions beyond the 3rd. Okay, mathematically or programmatically I can define 4+D array or matrix. But visually or conceptually... Hmmmmmm......
BTW, I have trouble drawing 3D also. Sometimes I don't 'get' how things should look like in 3D, and sometimes I even look at REAL LIFE objects (which are 3D) and can't understand what I am looking at - I need to turn it around to 'get' the shape. Perhaps, my 3D vision is screwed :cry: . I also can't ever see stereograms. Not ever. Not. any. single. moment. in. my. life. And noone believes me. I even spent a whole night staring at them and became convinced that something is wrong with my eyes.
Last edited by Iori_Yagami on Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:40 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
They cannot defend themselves; they cannot run away. INSANITY is their only way of escape.

User avatar
space_raptor
Posts: 1497
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:02 pm UTC
Location: Calgary
Contact:

Re: What you don't understand

Postby space_raptor » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:34 pm UTC

I don't understand why socks and sandals aren't cool. It gets cold at night and then my feet will be cold, but during the day it's warm enough for sandals. But apparently it's this big faux pas.

I have asked people to explain this to me but there is no logical explanation. They just claim it is "common knowledge". WTH.
The drinking will continue until morale improves.

User avatar
MFHodge
Posts: 4246
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:27 pm UTC
Location: :noitacoL Raleigh, NC
Contact:

Re: What you don't understand

Postby MFHodge » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:38 pm UTC

Iori_Yagami wrote:You can simulate anything using just NAND gates.

I learned this in one of my circuits classes and I think it was one of the biggest steps in helping me understand computer logic. The other big steps were understanding how a 8 binary digits -> 1 byte -> one character of a 256 character set. -> large files with lots of characters and how a picture can be thought of as a set of unique pixels, each with an RGB value from (0,0,0) to (255,255,255). From there, I can logically extend to video, audio, etc.

I would like to understand compression better. I've read about compression by identifying repeated sequences, but I would like to know more beyond that.
Image

User avatar
thecommabandit
Posts: 1884
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:25 pm UTC
Location: Manchester, UK
Contact:

Re: What you don't understand

Postby thecommabandit » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:39 pm UTC

Iori_Yagami wrote:As for bits and information, it is a very hard concept. It is mostly trying to separate data and code. One levels code is another one's data... Many things are just somewhat intuitional here... You see, RAM is just like a long strip of cells. The processor is endlessly looping and feeding off that strip. Well, programmer's task is just make this looping organized well, so that does useful tasks. Of course, that is incredibly difficult, so there are techniques how to organize that job, and techniques how to organize that job also, and... so far. I don't want to advertise, but Tanenbaum's 'Computer architecture' has some useful information, although it is not exhaustive. The whole beauty of principles of binary logic is so remarkable - you can write ANY of 16 functions using just Sheffer's stroke. It is proven by logic and math. So, you can simulate anything using just NAND gates.

Image
Nope, I still got nothing.
Image

User avatar
Sissi
Posts: 210
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:05 am UTC
Location: The Grand Nanotube in the Sky
Contact:

Re: What you don't understand

Postby Sissi » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:42 pm UTC

I don't understand why people are so obsessed with sites such as MySpace, LiveJournal, and the scores that I don't know of.

How does being a good friend with the opposite sex (in my case, the opposite sex is a female), somehow mean that there is much more than a "just friends" relationship going on between us. Especially when she and I are both Christians.

Why must my phallus be large/long in order to be cool/bad-to-the-bone/etc?

Another thing I absolutely do not understand is why people are so concerned about "celeberites" (sp, I know. No pun intended.)

Also, the last one for now... Why do young people have premarital sex--Premarital sex without condoms, at that--And then decide to get married only after the girl in the relation gets pregnant? It's completely absurd! "Oh, huney, I'm pregnant!" "Oh, shit... Will you marry me?" "Sure."
I turned my smilies off.
ParanoydAndroid wrote:I'd like to keep my sexuality firmly ambiguous in their minds

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26528
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: What you don't understand

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:43 pm UTC

space_raptor wrote:I don't understand why socks and sandals aren't cool. It gets cold at night and then my feet will be cold, but during the day it's warm enough for sandals. But apparently it's this big faux pas.

I have asked people to explain this to me but there is no logical explanation. They just claim it is "common knowledge". WTH.


As best as I can figure^, aside from skirts*, socks aren't meant to be something other people see.. more of something they're vaguely aware that the other person is likely wearing, but not something that's supposed to be shown, like.. underwear.

Sandals, on the other hand, are about as little footwear as you can get without being barefoot... basically a pad on which you walk and straps that keep it attached to your foot.

The combination of the two, therefore, is wrong because you're wearing something in which the foot is going to be exposed by the nature of the footwear, yet continuing to cover it via a garment that is supposed to remain hidden. I suppose it's kinda like wearing a strapless dress with a neckline that plunges down almost to the navel, yet wearing a normal bra underneath. It's just wrong. As best as I can figure.



^I must admit a personal bias here.. I believe that if the socks don't have some kind of interesting pattern, they should be no higher than the ankle. I personally cannot stand tight cloth around my calves.
*Obviously, a person wearing shorts is going to be showing their socks as well. But, as above, the ankle sock doesn't exactly poke far out of the shoe. Then there's the mid and full thigh socks which can have a variety of patterns... I've yet to see a guy who can pull those off without further costuming, however. Hence, generally speaking, if the sock is visible, the person wearing it is in a skirt.

Sissi wrote:How does being a good friend with the opposite sex (in my case, the opposite sex is a female), somehow mean that there is much more than a "just friends" relationship going on between us. Especially when she and I are both Christians.

Being Christian is irrelevant. Being of differing genders, however... well, it's obvious that the only reason a man and a woman would do anything with each other is because one is placing a penis into the other's vagina. That's the only logical explaination, as men and women are so different as to practically be different species... you all saw the Men are Martian, Women are Venutian, How The Hell Can We Breed? books! ... yeah, people are dumb.
Why must my phallus be large/long in order to be cool/bad-to-the-bone/etc?

Because a small penis is some kind of physical deformity, and cool people have none of those... or something.
Also, the last one for now... Why do young people have premarital sex--Premarital sex without condoms, at that--And then decide to get married only after the girl in the relation gets pregnant? It's completely absurd! "Oh, huney, I'm pregnant!" "Oh, shit... Will you marry me?" "Sure."

Because everyone knows that if you make a mistake, the first thing you should do is make another one.
Last edited by SecondTalon on Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:46 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance
Posts: 30450
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:04 am UTC
Contact:

Re: What you don't understand

Postby Belial » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:45 pm UTC

Also, the last one for now... Why do young people have premarital sex--Premarital sex without condoms, at that--And then decide to get married only after the girl in the relation gets pregnant? It's completely absurd! "Oh, huney, I'm pregnant!" "Oh, shit... Will you marry me?" "Sure."


Because they believe the unintended child should have stable parents?

But I agree, there are much easier and less inconvenient options...
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.


They/them

User avatar
Iori_Yagami
Posts: 606
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:37 pm UTC

Re: What you don't understand

Postby Iori_Yagami » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:52 pm UTC

Well, perhaps a good old-style teacher's saying might help - learn and practice more first, and understanding will come later.
BTW, I have a couple of years of being interested in PCs while at school, 5 years of Uni, and a couple of years at work... It all didn't strike my head at once. There was time when I knew very, very little. Perhaps I am quite ordinary, but ordinary people might be more useful that 'prima-donnas' sometimes...
What I am trying to raise here is things you tried to grasp for too long. And still... nothing.

VTHodge
Simple RLE is almost a non-compression... Some Wikipedia entries on LZW, ZIP, GIF might be helpful at first. As for real DSP and compression, it is too tough to me, unfortunately. I mean, codecs, lossy and loseless formats, quantization, Fourier transform and whole lot of other scary words useful techniques.
They cannot defend themselves; they cannot run away. INSANITY is their only way of escape.

User avatar
Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!
Posts: 11265
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 9:16 pm UTC
Location: Prince George In A Can
Contact:

Re: What you don't understand

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:54 pm UTC

Why do the people with more schooling and a larger paycheck end up making me do all the work, so they won't get fired?

ALSO: When someone says they'll send you a link, and you recieve "The unit plan drawings for Tuscany are located in the Details folder in the working drawings folder drawings a6.01 to a6.04"

Lycur
Posts: 470
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:06 pm UTC
Location: Nutopia

Re: What you don't understand

Postby Lycur » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:52 pm UTC

I don't understand French.

Which is a very thinly veiled cover for the real purpose of this post which is to suggest that all instances of 'understand' be changed to 'grok' because it probably captures the spirit of the thread better and, more importantly, doing so will make me oddly happy.

Robin S
Posts: 3579
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:02 pm UTC
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: What you don't understand

Postby Robin S » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:56 pm UTC

Having a sense of purpose.

I'm all for the whole "create your own purpose in life" answer to nihilism, but the problem is that I can't. I have a goal of being happy, but that isn't specific enough to be something to work towards. When I was at school, I was working towards getting into university. Now I'm at university, I'm working towards graduating and after that I'll be working towards being employed, because all these things have been laid out for me. However, I don't have any specific direction to aim, which makes things harder when I'm feeling depressed (which is often).

Also, since I've got a feeling the original purpose of this thread was to admit to our academic shortcomings, I completely lack any decent level of intuition for spatial problems. These include visualizing how an object looks from different angles, playing sport which involves co-ordination, and any semi-complicated problem in mechanics.
This is a placeholder until I think of something more creative to put here.

User avatar
EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy
Posts: 3725
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:56 am UTC
Location: where the wind takes me

Re: What you don't understand

Postby EdgarJPublius » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:04 pm UTC

I could have sworn I posted in here already about the fact that I can honestly not figure out I need to do to get a pair of computers to talk to each other over any sort of networking interface.
Everytime I want to transfer files from one computer to another I have to look up the instruction for using a crossover cable again and more than Likely I'll still forget a step and it will be weeks before I realize what I did wrong.

The fact that I'm even on the internet is a small miracle.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

User avatar
Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.
Posts: 6491
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:16 am UTC
Location: Boston

Re: What you don't understand

Postby Azrael » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:11 pm UTC

Sissi wrote:How does being a good friend with the opposite sex (in my case, the opposite sex is a female), somehow mean that there is much more than a "just friends" relationship going on between us. Especially when she and I are both Christians.
Because even Christians have sex.

Why do young people have premarital sex ... and then decide to get married only after the girl in the relation gets pregnant?
Most likely because they are being pressured (not necessarily overtly) to do so because of the conservative social view of an organization or community they wish, or feel obligated, to remain part of.

User avatar
TheTankengine
Our Fora-father
Posts: 3328
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:09 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, KY
Contact:

Re: What you don't understand

Postby TheTankengine » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:40 pm UTC

Note: I have no idea where i read about this or if it is even vaguely correct.

Let's say we have a long string of numbers. e.g. 1000111001001100. We could compress that number representing it as such: 13031201202120. Well, that only shaved off two numbers... but anyway that's all I've got. Can someone shed some light on this most likely horribly pathetic idea?
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

Robin S
Posts: 3579
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:02 pm UTC
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: What you don't understand

Postby Robin S » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:46 pm UTC

You're thinking of run-length encoding. It gets to be a problem when a fair number of your digits only occur singly, since then "x" becomes "1x", actually increasing the "compressed" length. There's bound to be a way round this, but I've got a feeling it'll be ugly.

You may also be interested in the related "look and say" family of sequences.
This is a placeholder until I think of something more creative to put here.

Minchandre
Posts: 524
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:36 am UTC

Re: What you don't understand

Postby Minchandre » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:50 pm UTC

TheTankengine wrote:Note: I have no idea where i read about this or if it is even vaguely correct.

Let's say we have a long string of numbers. e.g. 1000111001001100. We could compress that number representing it as such: 13031201202120. Well, that only shaved off two numbers... but anyway that's all I've got. Can someone shed some light on this most likely horribly pathetic idea?


Actually it should be 113031201202120, but that's immaterial. The problem with your compression scheme is that it replaces one number with two numbers, and two numbers also with two numbers...while you get saving for lots of numbers in a row, it's really not worth it.

Robin S
Posts: 3579
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:02 pm UTC
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: What you don't understand

Postby Robin S » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:53 pm UTC

It is if you have lots of repetition. That's how GIF compression works, isn't it?

Edit: no, it's not quite the same as GIF compression. Still, it would be useful in the same sorts of situation (large blocks of identical values). Interestingly, JPEG compression uses (among other things) a form of run-length encoding. See the Wikipedia article that I linked to, which also mentions that fax machines also use it.
This is a placeholder until I think of something more creative to put here.

User avatar
Habanero
Posts: 296
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:31 am UTC
Location: Somewhere I didn't think I'd be.
Contact:

Re: What you don't understand

Postby Habanero » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:21 am UTC

I don't understand why ITU layer 2 communication specifications need to be so obtuse and fragmented. I'm in the middle of trying to sort out DOCSIS. There are over a thousand specifications with some MUST, some SHOULD, some MAY, some etc...

I don't have enough hair as it is, and I'm pulling the rest out.
Why make things difficult when it is possible to make them cryptic and totally illogical with just a little bit more effort?

Joeldi
Posts: 1055
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:49 am UTC
Location: Central Queensland, Australia
Contact:

Re: What you don't understand

Postby Joeldi » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:33 am UTC

1) Add me to the list of people that don't get how ons and offs can be interpreted by more ons and offs

2) Why people always ask me what "lawl" means when I use it on msn. How is that not obvious???

3) I've just been reminded that I was wondering how file compression works the other day, so that.

4) Why so many of the girls I know, and those portrayed in other media are so prone to crying at some very trivial things, some of which barely cause me to raise an eyebrow.
I already have a hate thread. Necromancy > redundancy here, so post there.

roc314 wrote:America is a police state that communicates in txt speak...

"i hav teh dissentors brb""¡This cheese is burning me! u pwnd them bff""thx ur cool 2"

User avatar
Berengal
Superabacus Mystic of the First Rank
Posts: 2707
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 5:51 am UTC
Location: Bergen, Norway
Contact:

Re: What you don't understand

Postby Berengal » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:32 am UTC

Robin S wrote:I'm all for the whole "create your own purpose in life" answer to nihilism, but the problem is that I can't. I have a goal of being happy, but that isn't specific enough to be something to work towards. When I was at school, I was working towards getting into university. Now I'm at university, I'm working towards graduating and after that I'll be working towards being employed, because all these things have been laid out for me. However, I don't have any specific direction to aim, which makes things harder when I'm feeling depressed (which is often).

Life is sort of like a game of "X3" in free-play mode. There's ultimately no point to it, but it's still lots of fun to play as long as you got a set of goals, like getting an M6, upgrading it with the best equipment available, then getting an M2 and eventually an M1. All of these goals are pretty lengthy (especially the later ones) and will take at least two days of your time (unless you found some boring exploit), but once you stop to wonder why you do this and "to kick some serious ass" isn't an answer good enough the game gets boring really quick. The answer to this is of course to stop playing and do something else. Now, this is a bit harder with the game of life as for all we know the game is the os and the mbr is fubar, making playing any other game sort of hard (might be possible, but I wouldn't bet my life on it). Now, the first couple of times I played X3 I got bored after a few days because of this and started playing a game with a storyline, watch some movies or do something completely different, but the last times I've been able to enjoy the game singularly for periods upwards of two weeks, and going back to the game after a relatively short cooldown period, simply because I managed to ignore the fact that the game is as pointless as a ball pen (Aha, the ball pen both has, and hasn't a point, depending on how one percieves it! Clever ;)).

What makes this rather spesific analogy relevant? Well, I used to have sort of the same problem. While it wasn't persistant in any real way, the pointlessness of life would sometimes throw me into a bad funk, even though it took me less than five seconds to develop the "what the hell, I do what I want anyway" answer after I figured that life was basically meaningless. X3 actually helped me stop doing that, and instead lets me happily grab a joystick and blast away whenver the pointlessness hits me (this would've been a much better analogy if I was gay/female).


As for compression, it's all about finding ways to represent data in less space using various methods. We do it all the time in real life. For example, consider a list of all the numbers from 1 to 1 million, but ever 153 number would be one higher than expected. This is a rather lengthy list that can be expressed much more condensed in the form "x, x = 1 - 10^6 (+1 if x % 153 = 0)". Assuming the small variations are trivial yields an even shorter expression "x, x = 1 - 10^6", which generates an almost identical list, but with a slight loss of information. Other ways of compression include implicit rather than explicit statements. This is very common in human communication, for example by using pronouns instead of proper nouns. This is also useful in the "compress number string" scenario. Instead of stating the number that is repeated after the number of repetitions, it's easy to see that this is information that can be inferred from the structure of the string. The string contains only two different characters, and since it's nonsensical to say "three ones followed by two more ones", one can safely assume that "three followed by two" means "three of the one number followed by two of the other". In addition, if we assume that the string represents a number, any leading zeroes carry no information whatshowever, and you can therefore safely assume that the first number is a one. The string could thus be represented as "13321222", a 2:1 compression ratio. Do note that this depends on assumptions about the string in question, and if any of these are false the compression could in fact contain too little information to successfully recreate the original data.
It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students who are motivated by money: As potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

User avatar
Narsil
Ask me about my junk!
Posts: 2995
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:59 pm UTC
Location: Columbus.

Re: What you don't understand

Postby Narsil » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:36 am UTC

Joeldi wrote:2) Why people always ask me what "lawl" means when I use it on msn. How is that not obvious???

4) Why so many of the girls I know, and those portrayed in other media are so prone to crying at some very trivial things, some of which barely cause me to raise an eyebrow.


2) People generally don' vocalize what they read, especially not abbreviations. Therefore, they would never guess "lol" sounds like "lawl" and would assume that "lawl" in itself is an abbreviation for something they don't know, so not try an vocalize it anyway.

4) Girls are a strange race about whom little is known. Further research must be conducted.
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

User avatar
xooll
Posts: 804
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:11 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: What you don't understand

Postby xooll » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:00 am UTC

Iori_Yagami wrote:BTW, I have trouble drawing 3D also. Sometimes I don't 'get' how things should look like in 3D, and sometimes I even look at REAL LIFE objects (which are 3D) and can't understand what I am looking at - I need to turn it around to 'get' the shape. Perhaps, my 3D vision is screwed :cry: . I also can't ever see stereograms. Not ever. Not. any. single. moment. in. my. life. And noone believes me. I even spent a whole night staring at them and became convinced that something is wrong with my eyes.

One of my physics professors says he's got something similar to this; a 2D image that everyone else says is a cube looks like a hexagon with a square inside to him. Since, as a physics teacher, he needs to draw 3D stuff sometimes, he's just learned by rote what 2D images look 3D to other people. I think it's really neat how that sort of thing works, and how the brain finds ways to deal with it.


As for me, I don't get thermodynamics. If I'm talking about gases, I'm gonna be talking about it in kinetic theory terms, because millions of tiny bouncy balls with nothing but position and momentum make a lot more sense than all these different thermo variables. The only ones of those I actually get are the ones I can think of in terms of the little bouncy balls--temperature is an average of their kinetic energy, pressure is how hard and how often they hit something, etc. But entropy? I know, I know, "randomness." That's not a good enough explanation. Enthalpy? I've seen the equations, but I can't see it in the bouncy balls.
So, I got tired of the fact that the appearance of my band name in my signature made my posts on this forum the dominant result when googling for my music. Anyway, if you think I might happen to be a good musician, you can test this theory here.

User avatar
william
Not a Raptor. Honest.
Posts: 2418
Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:02 pm UTC
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Contact:

Re: What you don't understand

Postby william » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:07 am UTC

Entropy is Boltzmann's constant times the natural logarithm of how many different ways you can arrange the balls and still have pretty much the same gas. (You usually only care about differences in entropy.)
SecondTalon wrote:A pile of shit can call itself a delicious pie, but that doesn't make it true.

User avatar
stockpot
Posts: 217
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:37 am UTC

Re: What you don't understand

Postby stockpot » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:04 am UTC

  • I don't understand why I cry over some subjects that I don't feel sad about
  • (What everyone else said about code and binary)
  • I don't understand how cars work (anything and everything from the engine to the transmission to the fuel gauge)
  • I don't understand how radio waves are converted into sound or how my car radio can switch from once frequency to another.
  • I don't understand what, specifically makes a given situation "awkward" (though I can tell when it is)
  • I don't understand redox
  • I don't really understand some skills that come easily to some people, but not to me.
  • I don't understand why people wearing fancy clothes (at, say, a theater) get so offended by lack of formal wear on the bodies of other people.
  • I don't understand therapuetic shopping
  • I don't understand why some people are so afraid of getting dirt on them, regardless of the niceness of their clothing.
  • I don't understand modern cryptography
  • I don't understand how print servers work

User avatar
TheTankengine
Our Fora-father
Posts: 3328
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:09 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, KY
Contact:

Re: What you don't understand

Postby TheTankengine » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:28 am UTC

Thermodynamics is easy if you just use specific units for all variables. Suddenly you don't have x blob of fluid, you have a mass unit of a certain chemical composition at specific conditions which will always behave in the same manner. Just think of the difference in enthalpy per mass across a component (turbine/pump/boiler/condenser/etc.) and that will equal the work being produced or consumed. The T-s and p-v diagrams help immensely for their respective cycles, as it is very easy to tell which processes are isentropic, isobaric, etc. as long as you can equate the direction of flow within the chart to the real world engineering system.

Back to compression, I thought of a different way where a set of numbers is broken down into pre-defined patterns and then represented as the codified pattern. For instance, 101011110100011111, and then have patterns such as 101011==1, 110100==2, 011111==3, etc. Then that number is represented as 123. Does that make any sense/have any comparison to an existing method?

EDIT:Hmm, I don't know if that would work at all because eventually the 1,2,3, etc. have to be represented in binary and that results in a number for every pattern, thus no actual compression.
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

Robin S
Posts: 3579
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:02 pm UTC
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: What you don't understand

Postby Robin S » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:31 am UTC

Given that compressed information is normally in the same base as the uncompressed information that it represents, how would you go about representing the 64 possible 6-bit strings?
This is a placeholder until I think of something more creative to put here.

User avatar
bluebambue
An der schönen blauen Donau
Posts: 900
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:14 am UTC

Re: What you don't understand

Postby bluebambue » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:42 am UTC

stockpot wrote:
  • I don't understand why people wearing fancy clothes (at, say, a theater) get so offended by lack of formal wear on the bodies of other people.
  • I don't understand therapuetic shopping
  • I don't understand why some people are so afraid of getting dirt on them, regardless of the niceness of their clothing.


It is tradition to wear nicer clothes to the theatre (or similar location), so when I go out for an evening at the theatre I have an idea in my mind of what it should look like, there should be some garish decorations and people dressed up. When someone comes in in casual clothes it slightly disrupts that illusion. I don't care very much (as long as they're not covered in dirt) but I assumed people who really care think allong the same lines.

When I first started paying attention to clothes I used them as a shield to hide my suposed unnatractiveness. When I was feeling depressed buying more clothes helped me feel better becaue I had more "shields" to protect me from the scrutinous looks of others.

Nowadays if I go therapuetic shopping it is because it is some me time where I can think about stuff and look at pretty clothes.

I don't like dirt because it feels icky on my skin (it is rather sentitive to grainy things). Also, at least where I live, the dirt is often wet because it rains so much. That means that I will be wet if I'm dirty, and wet means I'm cold. Furthermore, I generally have to sit in cars a lot, and I don't want to get the car dirty.



Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 32 guests