What you don't understand

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Re: What you don't understand

Postby Quixotess » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:17 am UTC

Robin S wrote:
Habanero wrote:Children are not innocent, they are naive. From the moment of birth they are cunningly manipulative. Out of the womb they recognize that if they cry, whimper, or otherwise make disturbing noises, someone will come and do something for them. The only thing is that it takes them awhile to become more sophisticated in their approach.
Babies do that out of animal instinct, though. I mean, they're not even self-aware according to most of the definitions of that term of which I'm aware. I'd hardly call that cunning. Manipulative, yes, but their manipulative behaviours are not down to the sort of thing that I would label as "guiltiness" in any person. If a person has a mental condition which makes them do things that they don't actually want to do, and which upset other people, that person clearly isn't guilty. A baby may not actively want to stop being manipulative, but it doesn't actively want to either (in any meaningful, thought-out sense). You might as well accuse a cat of being evil for killing mice.

I'd like to throw in my support for Robin. As I was taught in my Child Psych class, you really can't say that babies are manipulating you. They need something--food, sleep, a diaper change, a burp. They are in discomfort. Unable to communicate in any other way, they cry. They don't possess the capacity to manipulate you, the understanding or the awareness, until at least six months.

It upsets me when people say "oh that baby is just trying to manipulate you" because it can lead to neglect. Now, you don't have to drop everything when a baby lets out a whimper--if they are hungry they will still be alive after you finish the page of the book you are on--but for God's sake don't ignore them. They are crying because they need something. Take care of it.
Raise up the torch and light the way.

wing
the /b/slayer

Postby wing » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:27 am UTC

Sissi wrote:
Robin S wrote:
Sissi wrote:What's with a lot of people hating Jews? Only reason I have to hate them is all the conspiracy theories that involve Jews being the NWO.
Why is that a (justified) reason to hate Jews?

I wouldn't know as I don't read conspiracy theories. I think some of them say that Jews are behind the supposed shadow government, etc, etc. Conspiracies.

In case you do think I have a dislike against Jews, I don't. They seem like mighty fine people to me.

That's what they want you to think!!!!!!!111one
I AM A SEXY, SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.

Robin S

Postby Robin S » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:34 am UTC

Yes, that's what we want you to think.
This is a placeholder until I think of something more creative to put here.

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:43 am UTC

Quixotess wrote:
Robin S wrote:
Habanero wrote:Children are not innocent, they are naive. From the moment of birth they are cunningly manipulative. Out of the womb they recognize that if they cry, whimper, or otherwise make disturbing noises, someone will come and do something for them. The only thing is that it takes them awhile to become more sophisticated in their approach.
Babies do that out of animal instinct, though. I mean, they're not even self-aware according to most of the definitions of that term of which I'm aware. I'd hardly call that cunning. Manipulative, yes, but their manipulative behaviours are not down to the sort of thing that I would label as "guiltiness" in any person. If a person has a mental condition which makes them do things that they don't actually want to do, and which upset other people, that person clearly isn't guilty. A baby may not actively want to stop being manipulative, but it doesn't actively want to either (in any meaningful, thought-out sense). You might as well accuse a cat of being evil for killing mice.

I'd like to throw in my support for Robin. As I was taught in my Child Psych class, you really can't say that babies are manipulating you. They need something--food, sleep, a diaper change, a burp. They are in discomfort. Unable to communicate in any other way, they cry. They don't possess the capacity to manipulate you, the understanding or the awareness, until at least six months.

It upsets me when people say "oh that baby is just trying to manipulate you" because it can lead to neglect. Now, you don't have to drop everything when a baby lets out a whimper--if they are hungry they will still be alive after you finish the page of the book you are on--but for God's sake don't ignore them. They are crying because they need something. Take care of it.

i lived with an exception. the baby was coddled and the moment you made a motion to set her down she started screaming her head off. she was fed, burped, clean, had her nap so she wasnt tired and cranky... she just wanted to be held all the goddamn time. her mom couldnt hold her all the time, so it made for an extremely unpleasant living situation for me. i do not like babies.

what i dont understand: work related part 2: i find out that other employees are sleeping on the job and i get shit for forgetting my tie. how does that work?

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

Robin S

Postby Robin S » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:15 am UTC

Perhaps the tie you usually wear is particularly boisterous and thus its absence noticeable, whereas your fellow employees look half-asleep most of the time anyway.
This is a placeholder until I think of something more creative to put here.

Echodork

Postby Echodork » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:22 pm UTC

parkaboy wrote:i lived with an exception. the baby was coddled and the moment you made a motion to set her down she started screaming her head off. she was fed, burped, clean, had her nap so she wasnt tired and cranky... she just wanted to be held all the goddamn time. her mom couldnt hold her all the time, so it made for an extremely unpleasant living situation for me. i do not like babies.

My experience has been... the way you do things becomes the way you WILL do things. If the kid is screaming and you walk out of the room and close the door, she'll eventually learn that screaming for the sake of screaming doesn't produce results, and she'll stop. Now if you run back in and pick her up and coddle her, then every time you put her down, you're going to get the screaming.

If the baby is warm, fed, dry, and comfortable, and she's still screaming, then you let her scream. Does it suck? Yeah, it sucks pretty bad for a few days, until the child learns that screaming doesn't produce results. It's really hard to listen to your kid scream for an hour, and it's really easy to give in to stop the crying. But you have to do it, or you'll be hearing it for the rest of your life.

Possibly because I've had too much experience with parents (my own and others) who tried to sculpt their children into miniature versions of themselves and reacted extremely poorly when that child turned out to be its own person instead.

Your kid will always be "like" you, because you're their role model for the first ten years of their life. Some parents are insane about it, and insist that their kids play the same sports they did, or go to the same school, or have the same career. Shrug, yeah, it's pretty creepy.

For me, whatever my kid chooses to do with her life, I'll be right behind her.

btilly

Postby btilly » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:32 pm UTC

Belial wrote:
btilly wrote:If you ever become a parent, you are likely to suddenly understand it in a very personal way. There are, admittedly, exceptions. But they are relatively rare.

Hmm. Well, if you take the child abuse numbers, and then assume that there are at least an equal number of parents who hate their kids but express it in less legally actionable ways, and equal again as many parents who merely resent their children, and equal again as many who are merely indifferent or neglectful toward their children....you still don't have a *ton*, but you definitely have a significant minority. And I think I'm being conservative in my estimate.

Look closer at the child abuse numbers. You will find that an undue fraction of child abuse is done by people who aren't biological parents. Back in the 80s I saw a Science News article about an interesting study on abusive dads. An undue fraction of them had not been involved in early childcare. And abuse rates for future children dropped among those who were encouraged to be involved in early childcare (diapering, etc).

Speaking anecdotally, the examples of abuse that I personally know fit that pattern.

There is also the huge issue that having the right feelings doesn't necessarily lead to the right actions. As virtually all young lovers find out, you can love someone and still wind up enraged at them. That happens for parents as well. And in a moment of rage you can do things you deeply and sincerely regret.
Belial wrote:
You can choose to believe me or not. But remember. I spent a long time as an adult before I became a father, so I have a pretty good grasp of what it is like to be both a non-parent and a parent. I don't think that you've experienced being a parent.

Ultimately, you've only been one parent. Your personal experience is heartwarming, and I'm glad there are people like you, but it can't really be generalized to everyone.

What I experienced has been confirmed in a large number of conversations with many other parents.

parkaboy wrote:i lived with an exception. the baby was coddled and the moment you made a motion to set her down she started screaming her head off. she was fed, burped, clean, had her nap so she wasnt tired and cranky... she just wanted to be held all the goddamn time. her mom couldnt hold her all the time, so it made for an extremely unpleasant living situation for me. i do not like babies.

That's why they invented slings. That said, if she was below 3 months then she should be sleeping virtually all the time. If she's come out of a nap and been fed, burped and cleaned, then she's probably trying to head down for another nap. The common mistake that people make is to put down babies as soon as they look asleep. She's in light sleep and will wake up instantly upon being put down. You have to wait a few minutes more for deep sleep before putting her down.

Also the odds are decent that a good swaddle would have worked wonders for making it possible to put her down without screams. See The Happiest Baby on the Block. Or you can find its advice online in places like http://www.babyslumber.com/happiestbaby.html, or offline being given by many childcare instructors.

Echodork wrote:

My experience has been... the way you do things becomes the way you WILL do things. If the kid is screaming and you walk out of the room and close the door, she'll eventually learn that screaming for the sake of screaming doesn't produce results, and she'll stop. Now if you run back in and pick her up and coddle her, then every time you put her down, you're going to get the screaming.

From my experience and what I've read, this is true when the baby is 2. It isn't true at 2 months.
Echodork wrote:If the baby is warm, fed, dry, and comfortable, and she's still screaming, then you let her scream. Does it suck? Yeah, it sucks pretty bad for a few days, until the child learns that screaming doesn't produce results. It's really hard to listen to your kid scream for an hour, and it's really easy to give in to stop the crying. But you have to do it, or you'll be hearing it for the rest of your life.

And so ignorance begets misery. A newborn is justifiably terrified by their sense of disorientation, and it is easy for a parent to solve that problem if you know how. Again see http://www.babyslumber.com/happiestbaby.html.
Some of us exist to find out what can and can't be done.

Others exist to hold the beer.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:23 pm UTC

Look closer at the child abuse numbers. You will find that an undue fraction of child abuse is done by people who aren't biological parents.

Fair. I admit a certain distaste and confusion at the idea that people need to be biologically tricked into caring for other people, and that they consider this a good thing.

What I experienced has been confirmed in a large number of conversations with many other parents.

I've met a fair number of people who say they regretted the whole thing. A pretty universal thread between the admittedly small sample size was that they don't generally admit this to other parents, because the reaction is rarely good.

Different angles.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:54 am UTC

Echodork wrote:

If the baby is warm, fed, dry, and comfortable, and she's still screaming, then you let her scream. Does it suck? Yeah, it sucks pretty bad for a few days, until the child learns that screaming doesn't produce results. It's really hard to listen to your kid scream for an hour, and it's really easy to give in to stop the crying. But you have to do it, or you'll be hearing it for the rest of your life.

No! Btilly is right. This is *not* true for an infant. Infants cry only when they need something. Some babies have colic, and then they will cry for a reason that you can't see, like possibly was the case with Parkaboy, but it's still not to manipulate you, and the best thing to do with a colicky baby is hold it and teach it that you are there. Like I said, you don't have to drop everything and rush, but neither should you ignore your baby's cries with the idea that "she has to learn." No. They don't understand manipulation. They only understand that they are feeling pain, fear, or discomfort. It is impossible to spoil them in the first six months or so.

We don't expect babies to feed themselves or otherwise take care of their physical needs. Well, it's also not reasonable to expect them to comfort themselves; they need you for that.

Mr. Beck
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Mr. Beck » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:31 pm UTC

Away from the topic of children.
I watched The Godfather and had absolutely no idea what was happening.

westcydr

Postby westcydr » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:49 pm UTC

I don't understand why some people refuse to accept that other people do not think the exact same way they do.
No one was brought up the same way as I was, had the same parents at the same time as I did, and went every place I did at the same time. Different genes and influences will bring different ways of thinking about things....Why should anyone be the same as me, or agree with everything I say?
Why are there people who seem to truly think that having different feature sets, or skin color, somehow makes a different "race" of humans?
I just do not get it...
---------------------------
ICQ/AIM 5683738
יששכר
"Who needs a quote in a signature, anyways?"

Aerol

Postby Aerol » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:16 pm UTC

@Mr. Beck Watch it again. And again if necessary.

I don't understand loads of stuff. A big one right now is Spanish. I started taking Spanish in school this year because I thought learning a new language (my first foreign language was French) would be fun. I'm getting good grades in the class but when I actually try conversing with Spanish speakers, I fail epically.

Mo0man

Postby Mo0man » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:26 am UTC

I don't get B'damon, or bey blades
causa major dormuc vulnero ut ovis goatee
I'm number 20075. Remember that. It's important

Echodork

Postby Echodork » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:51 pm UTC

btilly wrote:And so ignorance begets misery. A newborn is justifiably terrified by their sense of disorientation, and it is easy for a parent to solve that problem if you know how. Again see http://www.babyslumber.com/happiestbaby.html.

You do realize you're quoting websites to someone who also has kids, right?

And to be clear, I'm not talking about infants. You quoted me out of a different conversation. This is why I hate lumped threads where there are ten different conversations going on... I'm not interested in arguing with you in the slightest.

btilly

Postby btilly » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:05 am UTC

Echodork wrote:
btilly wrote:And so ignorance begets misery. A newborn is justifiably terrified by their sense of disorientation, and it is easy for a parent to solve that problem if you know how. Again see http://www.babyslumber.com/happiestbaby.html.

You do realize you're quoting websites to someone who also has kids, right?

Yes, I do. Because it is easier to quote a website than it is to type in all of that information myself.

I am not, however, just quoting something I saw on a website. Like you I am a parent. Since I wish to be a good parent and know that I did not have good role models, I've also read over a dozen books on parenting and taken a couple of parenting courses. Therefore I'm reasonably up to date on this subject.
Echodork wrote:And to be clear, I'm not talking about infants. You quoted me out of a different conversation. This is why I hate lumped threads where there are ten different conversations going on... I'm not interested in arguing with you in the slightest.

This seriously annoys me. You clearly were talking about babies, and are lying when you say otherwise. Why bother doing that? You know that I can go back to what you wrote and find lines like, "If the baby is warm, fed, dry, and comfortable, and she's still screaming, then you let her scream." You know that anyone who wants can scroll back to your post. Heck, I'll provide a link to the bookmark to save people from having to scroll. Here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17184&start=200#p499860 - go there then come back and explain whether there is any possible confusion about whether you were talking about how to treat babies, including young babies.

I am honestly puzzled. Do you think that we are all idiots and morons? I sincerely don't understand what people like you hope to accomplish by lying when the record of what you said is right there.

Given that I've had past bad experiences on other sites with people who post something, regret it, and then edit their previous post, I'll just go ahead and quote you in context. If anyone follows the link I provided above to your post and it doesn't agree with what I've quoted, then please check the last edited date to verify when it was last edited.
Echodork wrote:

Do you stand by your lie that I got confused and quoted you out of the wrong conversation?

ASmileWithoutACat

Postby ASmileWithoutACat » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:31 am UTC

I'm going to regret this, I know I am, but...
btilly, is it necessary to be so... vehement? And reading echodork's original post (yes, I am referring to the quote you posted), I find it quite understandable that he could be talking about an older child, and extrapolating (if that's quite the right word... I'm not absolutely sure) back to an infant.
In any case, as I have no experience with kids (and mostly agree with Insignificant Deification's initial post on the subject), I'll just mention my own parents' experience and butt out- according to them, I never fussed much, and only ever had one real tantrum, which they walked out on. As they recall, I scooted into the next room to follow them (still lying my back on the floor), then gave up when they couldn't take it seriously. I was 2ish at the time, and I think pretty much gave up whining after that.
Of course, I just have different problems now, related to not. ever. complaining. So take my shaky opinions with all the scorn and derision they probably deserve, if you like. Moving on...

I do not understand the idea of fashion as an "everyday" sort of thing. I mean, I can certainly understand the idea of picking very specific clothing, say, for actors to wear on stage; that is, in some cases, "fashion" is more a matter of practicality. And I can appreciate... I don't know... "high fashion" is the best phrase I can come up with (it's late) as a form of art. But for daily wear- my parents chide me at least once a week on looking ratty and overly casual, because I wear, almost exclusively:
Jeans (frequently with large holes around the knees)
{Blue, black, grey, tan} T-shirt
Black jacket
Black sneakers
Personally, it's a matter of comfort- obviously physical, but also, I feel awkward in bright, noticeable colors. Anyway, I don't get why people seem to worry so much about what they wear; as far as I've ever been able to tell, if I find someone attractive, that remains true whether they are wearing something particularly... "fashionable", I suppose, or wearing working clothes that have more paint in them than dye and more hole than fabric. So anyway... doesn't really make you more attractive, and in some cases it's obviously uncomfortable... why do people want wear such things?

Also, I obviously do not understand how to write a short post. Apologies. (and also I am in love with ())
You know it's all beginning
To feel like pretending...

Happy yesterday to all!

TheKhakinator
the next small girl on KRNT radio

Postby TheKhakinator » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:32 am UTC

What don't I understand?

What's going on in this conversation right now.

At least, face to face, you can tell if someone's messing with you.

btilly

Postby btilly » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:38 am UTC

ASmileWithoutACat wrote:I'm going to regret this, I know I am, but...
btilly, is it necessary to be so... vehement? And reading echodork's original post (yes, I am referring to the quote you posted), I find it quite understandable that he could be talking about an older child, and extrapolating (if that's quite the right word... I'm not absolutely sure) back to an infant.

He may have been extrapolating his opinions back to babies, but he was clearly talking about babies in his original quote. And fairly young babies at that. Which is why I went ballistic at his saying, "Oh, that really isn't what I meant."

Some background for you since you aren't familiar with babies.

The bulk of the, "I put the baby down and (s)he screams" issues happen are in the first 3 months. They can go longer, but generally not by more than a few more months. An experienced parent reading parkaboy's description should know that that baby was probably under 6 months old. That's not to say that crying doesn't go on longer - anyone who has lived with a toddler knows that - but the description given is both classic and indicative of a specific age.

There is another big clue from the emphasis on "fed, burped, cleaned and napped". The period where a full list of the baby's obvious needs are "fed, burped, cleaned and napped" is reasonably short. It ends when the baby becomes interactive enough to assert other needs and desires. It certainly is over once you have a crawling baby, which happens at 6-10 months. That is not to say that you won't have crying with an unknown cause after that. In fact it happens more since baby develops a much wider range of desires and has no way to communicate them to you. (The resulting guessing games get frustrating for all parties.) So that part of parkaboy's description also makes it clear that we're dealing with a baby, and probably a fairly young one at that.

Research indicates that you really can't spoil a young baby. They don't know how to manipulate you. What you can do is teach them that you are not a potential source of comfort. In that case you will wind up with a child who is severely emotionally stunted. The research demonstrating this is too complex to summarize succinctly, but Parenting from the Inside Out has an excellent overview of the research. (When I first read the claim I couldn't believe that we could honestly claim to have proven such a thing. After I read the research, I was convinced that we not only could, but had.)
ASmileWithoutACat wrote:In any case, as I have no experience with kids (and mostly agree with Insignificant Deification's initial post on the subject), I'll just mention my own parents' experience and butt out- according to them, I never fussed much, and only ever had one real tantrum, which they walked out on. As they recall, I scooted into the next room to follow them (still lying my back on the floor), then gave up when they couldn't take it seriously. I was 2ish at the time, and I think pretty much gave up whining after that.

That is unusual. I strongly suspect, however, that your parent's description of "one real tantrum" glosses over a lot of little meltdowns. But I wasn't there, so that is just a suspicion.
ASmileWithoutACat wrote:Of course, I just have different problems now, related to not. ever. complaining. So take my shaky opinions with all the scorn and derision they probably deserve, if you like. Moving on...

It is also possible that this is just your personality. Personality asserts itself earlier than I would have believed possible, and then changes less after than than I once would have credited. Believe it or not, psychologists have found a number of personality traits that are consistently visible at 3 months old which generally remain the same at 3 years old. I could well believe that a tendency to not complain would still hold as a grownup.

ASmileWithoutACat wrote:I do not understand the idea of fashion as an "everyday" sort of thing. I mean, I can certainly understand the idea of picking very specific clothing, say, for actors to wear on stage; that is, in some cases, "fashion" is more a matter of practicality. And I can appreciate... I don't know... "high fashion" is the best phrase I can come up with (it's late) as a form of art. But for daily wear- my parents chide me at least once a week on looking ratty and overly casual, because I wear, almost exclusively:
Jeans (frequently with large holes around the knees)
{Blue, black, grey, tan} T-shirt
Black jacket
Black sneakers
Personally, it's a matter of comfort- obviously physical, but also, I feel awkward in bright, noticeable colors. Anyway, I don't get why people seem to worry so much about what they wear; as far as I've ever been able to tell, if I find someone attractive, that remains true whether they are wearing something particularly... "fashionable", I suppose, or wearing working clothes that have more paint in them than dye and more hole than fabric. So anyway... doesn't really make you more attractive, and in some cases it's obviously uncomfortable... why do people want wear such things?

That one is easy. :D

The main purpose of fashion is to mark your social group and frequently your position within that group. People who pay attention to fashion demonstrate to others who pay attention to fashion that they have the money and interest to be fashionable. They are therefore signaling who they are and how they want to be perceived.

This is true whether you're dressed as a princess or a gangsta from the hood. It demonstrates to other people in your social group that you belong to that social group, and frequently indicates something about your status in that group. Even attempts at "non-fashion" wind up with social messages attached. For example most techies would not claim that they have any particular fashion, are aware of fashion, etc. But we (yes, this is a group I am in) usually have a strong association between suits and technical incompetence. If you want a techie to respect you, it is better to show up in sweats and sandals than it is to show up in a suit.

That said, your parents have many reasons to care. Everything from feeling embarrassed that people might think they are too poor to buy their son (I'm guessing you're male) clothing to worry that you won't learn how to dress nicely enough to be able to get a job when you're older. (Yes, people do get turned down for jobs because they didn't dress right.)
ASmileWithoutACat wrote:Also, I obviously do not understand how to write a short post. Apologies. (and also I am in love with ())

Ditto. :-)

Update: I was attributing a comment to Insignificant Deification which should have been attributed to parkaboy. Fixed.
Last edited by btilly on Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:08 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Gaz

Postby Gaz » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:14 am UTC

Indie culture. What's wrong when a good band makes fans? You seem to cut down the bands you love!
Boredom's not a burden anyone should bear.
Wombats are the most underated animal ever.

Zak

Postby Zak » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:22 am UTC

Totally, why not enjoy the bands you like, and why would you dress silly?
*waggles eyebrows*

Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:36 pm UTC

@btilly:

I never described a child of any age. Please track down the actual baby you were referring to.
Belial wrote:You are giving me the tools to sodomize my vast imagination, and for this I am grateful.

PM Me, if you care for a chat.

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:28 pm UTC

I dont understand the principles of design very well...

Like, in a related class, I'll get full marks for technical competency, but all I ever do is make things that I think are cool, and the teacher usually seems to disagree somewhat. I mean, I get good marks overall, but I can never come up with a truly good, interesting idea, or so it seems.

The only case where I can remember any of my good original ideas are to do with game design, and they all work in my head, but as soon as I start to explain it to someone they have *no* idea how the fuck it would work... like that RTS style idea, only it isnt exactly real time, it's a time travel game, and basically the minimap has a third dimension, that being time, the only way to kill a player being to annihalate their base within the first minute of the game.

I know ways it would work, and the programming of it wouldn't be that insane. Paradoxes could be eliminated by adding some artificial rules.

Anyway, it just seems that everything I design ends up badly designed, and I can see that later on, but it doesnt help me design something good...
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

Echodork

Postby Echodork » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:55 pm UTC

btilly wrote:Do you stand by your lie that I got confused and quoted you out of the wrong conversation?

Wow dude, I'm not even going to read the rest of your post. Just going to foe you and move on.

btilly

Postby btilly » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:05 pm UTC

Insignificant Deification wrote:@btilly:

I never described a child of any age. Please track down the actual baby you were referring to.

D'oh. I meant parkaboy. My apologies.

Iori_Yagami

Postby Iori_Yagami » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:12 pm UTC

I just have to say this, and I feel it needs to be discussed, so this doesn't fit into Confessional Thread.

I have never understood the criteria behind good movie/bad movie, and especially good actor play (acting?) / bad actor play. I know (more like 'have a vague hint') that this sounds entirely moronic, however that is true.
I have some preferences about movies, but they are all subjective, depend on my mood, well-being, headaches, or even names of characters. Sometimes I just can't follow, and it's like in a song: "For half a year they can't understand who is who's mother and who is who's son" (that is a song about soap operas... funny).
So what is that mysterious good/bad actor play?
To say more, I youtubed through some 'compilation of worst movies' videos and didn't find anything bad about them, perhaps they are either subjective or too subtle for my unpolished taste...
Last edited by Iori_Yagami on Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:25 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
They cannot defend themselves; they cannot run away. INSANITY is their only way of escape.

gibberishtwist

Postby gibberishtwist » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:52 pm UTC

I don't understand math. At all. I'm 22 and I didn't pass math class after the fifth grade. I don't understand how an otherwise intelligent person (Me) can have such a glaring hole in such a huge area of study. I also don't understand why I don't have a boyfriend.

Any cute metalhead scientists want to be my math tutor? =(
"We have reached the limits of what rectal probing can teach us."Image

Account20151023

Postby Account20151023 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:37 pm UTC

I just don't get how the pop music business is still continuing with its dickery. Considering that the RIAA only represents top 40 artists (basically) and the top 40 is at 80% less CD sales than when Napster came out, when are they going to stop showing utter contempt towards their customers? And when are they going to get the idea of OVERHEAD? That filesharing increases the market of people who know about the band, and therefore might buy the CD if the band doesn't suck?

I don't expect answers, because I don't think there is any sense to be made of it.

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:35 pm UTC

I don't quite understand why intelligent people who know english perfectly well completely mangle the language when communicating on the internet. I don't understand how they can bear to read such mangled things.

No, really, I don't understand it. I know it's easier, but can someone please help me out here?
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

pkuky

Postby pkuky » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:13 pm UTC

limits that combine different elements, like lim(n->oo) n(a1/n-1). the only way I can ever figure these out is with fancy tricks like l'hopital and stuff. also, taylor series.
It rains on the enemy too!

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:16 pm UTC

I don't understand abbreviations that include the letter "w." They are the worst. Who came up with a letter that takes three syllables to say anyhow?

gibberishtwist

Postby gibberishtwist » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:40 pm UTC

Toeofdoom wrote:I don't quite understand why intelligent people who know english perfectly well completely mangle the language when communicating on the internet. I don't understand how they can bear to read such mangled things.

No, really, I don't understand it. I know it's easier, but can someone please help me out here?

I don't understand it either. It always irks me to find someone who speaks wonderfully but then turns into a total idiot on AIM.
"We have reached the limits of what rectal probing can teach us."Image

hestia

Postby hestia » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:06 am UTC

Joeldi wrote:4) Why so many of the girls I know, and those portrayed in other media are so prone to crying at some very trivial things, some of which barely cause me to raise an eyebrow.

This is very hard to answer without making dreadful generalizations, so here I go. Let's just assume the obvious that these do not apply to all women or men.
In general, men deal with their problems by drawing themselves inside and dealing with them on their own. Women on the other hand, tend to go to one another for help. As a result, women tend to show more overt emotions because they want to be comforted and so forth. As a result, if something happen in say, a movie, or something, women may be more apt to cry because their automatic response is to show what they are feeling to interact emotionally with others.
Or I may just be pulling that out of no where. I read about a lot of that in a book and it seems to apply frequently.

What I really don't understand is what is so interesting about math? I see how other subjects I find boring and difficult could be interesting to people, but not math. For example, I HATED science classes when I was in school, but I understood what others saw interesting in them. Math though, has always boggled me in every possible way.
NightStar wrote:
Chocceh wrote:Whatever way this thread turns out, Jesus is off-limits.

Tell that to Pontius Pilate.

Mercurius

Postby Mercurius » Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:56 am UTC

I don't understand anything beyond high school mathematics without it being couched in a metaphor of some sort.

I also don't understand how people think Zen koans are deep. At all. Seriously people, its about the distinction between language and reality, its not that clever.
You know, I'm not really sure what "socioeconomic class" I am. I'm richer than my parents, I don't have a real job, and my mannerisms tend to match up with whomever I'm talking to.

...is "con man" a social class?

lowbart

Postby lowbart » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:37 am UTC

What I don't understand:

Computer networking. I mean, I'm good enough with computers that I hardly ever have to ask someone else for help (generally just if I'm looking to upgrade) but Jesus fucking velociraptors I can not get anywhere with networking. After so many years it still seems like voodoo when I see someone else do it.
...a fish called the Henamo grunter, named because it makes grunting noises from its swim bladder.
v1nsai wrote:Yes, I'm Linux, how can I help you ma'am?

TizzyFoe

Postby TizzyFoe » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:47 pm UTC

I'm the same way lowbart. Except on the rare occasion that everything just works when i pug it in, im generally clueless. I have a laptop and a desktop and the only way i've ever been able to transfer files directly between them is with AIM. I would think it should be easy to make a public folder that the laptop can access, maybe with a passwork, but i guess not.

Has anyone ever seen those lamps where to turn them on or make them cycle through brightness levels you just touch them anywhere? I don't understand those. I think i've experiment with them a bit and only conductive things turn them on. Also if i touch and hold it then another person touches me repeatedly it will turn off and on. It seems like it has something to do with changes in static electricity but i dont know.
"My folks were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?"
"But existing is basically all I do!"

Account20151023

Postby Account20151023 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:56 pm UTC

lowbart wrote:What I don't understand:

Computer networking. I mean, I'm good enough with computers that I hardly ever have to ask someone else for help (generally just if I'm looking to upgrade) but Jesus fucking velociraptors I can not get anywhere with networking. After so many years it still seems like voodoo when I see someone else do it.

YES. I look like a damn old person when I try to do it by myself, but then when someone else does it, it's like I have a moment of clarity and know exactly what to do. Then it goes away when I have to do it again.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:28 pm UTC

BomanTheBear wrote:
lowbart wrote:What I don't understand:

YES. I look like a damn old person when I try to do it by myself, but then when someone else does it, it's like I have a moment of clarity and know exactly what to do. Then it goes away when I have to do it again.

I used to be much the same way. I'm by no means a networking guru, but at my last job I learned more about networking in my first few weeks than any previous classes/tinkering around on my own combined. Amazing how much you can learn from having someone show you how to set up a couple routers out of the box. Moreso when you get to troubleshoot them. Between that and occasionally battling with a software firewall on my home network, I manage to get by alright for the most part -- except for some reason my firewall decided to entirely block my desktop from the internet and I haven't had time to figure out why. Yay for having a laptop.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

DaMullet

Postby DaMullet » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:17 pm UTC

Calculus. Maybe I'd get it more easily if I weren't trying to learn it by sitting alone in my room with my dad's old college textbook, hoping that at some point something will click.
Will wrote:Andrew Jackson was all kinds of badass.

SecondTalon wrote:Out in the wasteland
Driving cars of rusted steel
oh, look. Burma Shave.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:HACKS ARE STING OUR SYLLES AND SING THEM TO TERRISTS!

Mr. Beck
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Mr. Beck » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:15 pm UTC

pseudoidiot wrote:except for some reason my firewall decided to entirely block my desktop from the internet and I haven't had time to figure out why.

Did you by any chance just install a security update for XP? Their latest "fix" had been known to kill people's internet.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:20 pm UTC

Hmm. Perhaps. I didn't pay close attention to the last time I could access the internet with my desktop (use it mostly for non-online gaming). So that's worth looking into. Thanks! (Oh, and I should note that I can access the internet, just not with my firewall turned on)
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Return to “General”