Sleep-Stumble

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

joeframbach

Re: Sleep-Stumble

Postby joeframbach » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:34 am UTC

I had a dream...

that back in 10th grade I was in a fight with this jackass I didn't like too much.
Turns out my left arm was asleep. I woke up via hypnagogic jerk when (in my dream) I lunged at him to deliver a punch to the face. IRL I delivered a punch to my alarm clock, and the snooze button broke.

Fat Tony

Postby Fat Tony » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:16 pm UTC

Kineticka wrote:Another story about amusing things that happen when your limbs fall asleep while you're in bed:

Yesterday, my friend woke up late for work. He glanced at the clock, and literally leapt (Damn you Mozilla for not recognizing leapt, and making me check dictionary.com to make sure it was a real word! I'm tired, give me a break.) out of bed.

Over the course of the night, his leg had gone dead-weight asleep. So his frantic leaping resulted in him having no support on landing, and lumping into a pile on the floor to giggle until he regained feeling in his leg. It wasn't even a land-sway-stumble-fall progression. It went straight from landing to floor. The mental image still gives me the giggles.

I did that a few times one day a couple weeks ago, but my foot wasn't asleep. I'm not sure what happened, but I woke up one morning being unable to straighten out my right leg without it hurting like crazy (my podiatrist dad said I pulled a muscle in my sleep...somehow), so I was limping all day, but when I just got up and forgot to limp, I would climb or jump out of whatever I was sitting/laying on and just collapse right on the floor.

As for this:
joeframbach wrote:I had a dream...

that back in 10th grade I was in a fight with this jackass I didn't like too much.
Turns out my left arm was asleep. I woke up via hypnagogic jerk when (in my dream) I lunged at him to deliver a punch to the face. IRL I delivered a punch to my alarm clock, and the snooze button broke.

and most of the other posts in this thread, while entertaining, I don't think they were hypnagogic jerks. If I understand correctly, a hypnagogic jerk is not moving in your sleep, but the sensation of having some sort of image while nearly asleep and then suddenly get a feeling like you just fell twenty stories in half a second and you get jolted wide awake feeling like you're about to have a heart attack.
Actually, now that I think of it, it also happens while you're asleep. I jsut realized that that explains why I've had dreams that weren't scary at all, but something happens in the dream that sinks into my gut and terrifies me; it must be a hypnagogic jerk.
Wanna hear the truth? Life is downright ok.

Mat

Postby Mat » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:39 pm UTC

I've had (what I assume to be) hypnagogic jerks lots of times, they're pretty annoying. It's like I'm just falling asleep and all of a sudden its *falling sensation* and I'm wide awake again.

I also had some a weird sleep paralysis kind of thing once as I was going to sleep, it was a really uncomfortable feeling like I was being folded in half. Also a few times when I've been falling asleep I've had a really weird feeling like everything is big? I really don't know how to describe it but its like setting your monitor to a lower resolution, except its not really anything to do with vision cause I'm not looking at anything.

I tend to sleep in funny positions that make me lose all feeling in my arm, and then I have to move it around with my other arm. Arms are heavy :/

I don't think I've quite got the hang of this sleeping thing..

MoonBuggy

Postby MoonBuggy » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:44 am UTC

Random 'chicken or egg' observation: when I jolt myself awake, it's because I feel like I'm falling and the physical jerk is me trying to grab on to something that isn't there to stop the fall. When I actually got to experience freefall I looked like a complete moron instinctively trying to grab onto the air despite the fact that I knew I couldn't actually stop myself.

My reflexes are odd...
Michael McClary, in alt.fusion, wrote:Irrigation of the land with sewater desalinated by fusion power is ancient. It's called 'rain'.

Fat Tony

Postby Fat Tony » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:54 am UTC

MoonBuggy wrote:Random 'chicken or egg' observation: when I jolt myself awake, it's because I feel like I'm falling and the physical jerk is me trying to grab on to something that isn't there to stop the fall.

I think that's why we get the feeling.

Fossa

Postby Fossa » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:45 am UTC

Mat wrote: Also a few times when I've been falling asleep I've had a really weird feeling like everything is big? I really don't know how to describe it but its like setting your monitor to a lower resolution, except its not really anything to do with vision cause I'm not looking at anything.

I get this quite frequently, for me its the sensation that I'm suddenly in the corner of a MASSIVE room, that if I could see the room it would be big enough to fit a sky scraper in, just this overwhelming and COMPLETELY tangible feeling of enormity. I always feel strangely open when I get this sensation.

x-Swamp

Postby x-Swamp » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:55 am UTC

WHats really weid though, is when you are just about falling alseep, and then you sorta, are awake, but dreaming, as sort of an overlay. I can't explain it.
Under development - my html sucks.

http://www.hitpenguin.net - any comments?

ThorFluff
Ursus Onanis

Postby ThorFluff » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:58 am UTC

I have those hypnagogic jerks all the time, Usually it doesn't seem like a sudden fall as if the ground dissapears, but rather like as if i suddenly loose my footing, slipping on a hardwood floor or something of the likes
EsotericWombat wrote:You're... calling the Rolling Stones emo.

It might take a while to gather the lynch mob. no one really planned against this eventuality.

krynd wrote:That'd make an awesome sig. Unfortunately, I'm sure self-sigging isn't allowed...

Mat

Postby Mat » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:21 pm UTC

x-Swamp wrote:WHats really weid though, is when you are just about falling alseep, and then you sorta, are awake, but dreaming, as sort of an overlay. I can't explain it.

yeah I know what you mean. Theres a method for getting lucid dreams (WILD) where you focus on them as you fall asleep.

I sort of did it once by accident, but I wasn't conscious the whole time, I saw some dreamlike imagery like you describe, and thought "aha I am falling asleep" but then I guess I lost consciousness for a while, until a bit later I noticed that I was actually dreaming.

x-Swamp

Postby x-Swamp » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:25 am UTC

Thats EXACTLY what i have experenced, though i manage to do it quite often (once a month xD)
Under development - my html sucks.

http://www.hitpenguin.net - any comments?

Kabann

Postby Kabann » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:58 am UTC

Fossa wrote:
Mat wrote: Also a few times when I've been falling asleep I've had a really weird feeling like everything is big? I really don't know how to describe it but its like setting your monitor to a lower resolution, except its not really anything to do with vision cause I'm not looking at anything.

I get this quite frequently, for me its the sensation that I'm suddenly in the corner of a MASSIVE room, that if I could see the room it would be big enough to fit a sky scraper in, just this overwhelming and COMPLETELY tangible feeling of enormity. I always feel strangely open when I get this sensation.

Very similar to the almost-indescribable sensation I've experienced many times when trying to go to sleep... it tended to happen very often when I was a kid and only a few times in my adult life, but it was always unnerving and a little frightening. It may be a type of hypnogogic hallucination, and what I find most interesting is things like that have been linked to narcolepsy.

On a lighter note, my funniest moment, while not as extreme as some people, was when my arm and hand went completely numb because of how I was sleeping, and I woke up suddenly because I had a major itch on my nose... when I went to scratch it I swung this dead club of a hand up and clubbed myself right in the mouth. Sat straight up, wide awake, thinking "who fucking HIT me?" Then proceeded to laugh my ass off. It hurt though.
My goal in life is to have money, power, fame, wisdom, and love.
So far, I've got a sense of humor.
It's a good start.

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:40 pm UTC

Only time I remember having a hypnogogic dream was when I was in 4th Grade, and was home with the strep. I was laid up in bed, and dreamed that I apparently had homework in Health class, but I couldn't find the book so that my mom could check my homework, or so that I could do said homework. I was in the living room, and she yelled at me to "find your damn Health book or I will tear your tail up!". I don't remember actually waking up, I just remember going through my bookbag, searching all through my closet, in my toybox (large cardboard box that once held a giant TV or small refrigerator), on my desk, under the bed, under the mattress, everywhere for the book. I went into the living room crying since I couldn't find it. My mom asked what I was looking for, and I told her my Health book. She asked why I needed it and I said that she told me to find it or she'd tear my tail up, which was her way of saying that I was getting a spanking. She comforted me and said I had had a hypnogogic dream.

As far as hypnogogic jerks or sleep-stumbling, I don't really recall any time I've experienced that.

The only thing that has jerked me awake, very rudely I might add, and it happened yesterday morning, is a charlie horse. Worst. Pain. EVAR!
PRG

An important message for you:

Fossa

Postby Fossa » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:21 pm UTC

My head exploded last night. First time its happened in a while, actually. Freaked me right the hell out and ruined what little time I had to get some sleep. Rawr.

Geekthras
3) What if it's delicious?

Postby Geekthras » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:38 am UTC

Mat wrote:I've had (what I assume to be) hypnagogic jerks lots of times, they're pretty annoying. It's like I'm just falling asleep and all of a sudden its *falling sensation* and I'm wide awake again.

I also had some a weird sleep paralysis kind of thing once as I was going to sleep, it was a really uncomfortable feeling like I was being folded in half. Also a few times when I've been falling asleep I've had a really weird feeling like everything is big? I really don't know how to describe it but its like setting your monitor to a lower resolution, except its not really anything to do with vision cause I'm not looking at anything.

I tend to sleep in funny positions that make me lose all feeling in my arm, and then I have to move it around with my other arm. Arms are heavy :/

I don't think I've quite got the hang of this sleeping thing..

._. I dislike the jerk part.
Noooo now I'm thinking of sleep paralysis and it'll happen again! Shit!
Wait. With a SPOON?!

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:45 pm UTC

Yea, I've done the 'cut off circulation to arms' thing a lot. The biggest problem is when its both arms and I'm face down on the pillow, so I wake up and my brain goes back into awake breathing mode (and with my face 90% buried in my pillow this becomes difficult), and I have to figure out how to roll over with no use of my arms.

As a side note, is that actually bad for your limbs if the circulation is cut off like that? Or is it more of a they go into a 'power save' mode while they are deprived of oxygen? O.o

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:18 pm UTC

heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Berengal
Superabacus Mystic of the First Rank

Postby Berengal » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:50 pm UTC

I've not noticed any bad effects, and I used to cuto ff circulation to my arms quite alot. I still do every now and then. Still, there is no "power save" other than the actual saving of energy you do when not moving. I guess the arms must get enough oxygen to not get permanently damaged. I have noticed that they sort of feel like I've been exercising them alot just after I wake up with a sleepy limb, which indicates anaerob cellular respiration, which again indicates that there's too little oxygen to go around. This doesn't happen all the time though, and my arm's severely reduced for at least 15 minutes afterwards.

The state of being "inbetween" awake and sleep is called NREM sleep stage 1 (or stage N1 sleep), and during this you're still aware of your surroundings, but your brain starts to shut down it's real world filters, and also turns on the paralysis. Normally you're not aware of this, but recognizing this is supposedly what WILD is all about. I've yet to do it successfully when I've tried, but I have done it several times before I knew what WILD was. My most successful method of getting into phase N1 sleep is to try to stay awake while really really REALLY tired (like 40+ hours awake, half a day after lack of sleep becomes torturous). Whenever you relax in this exhausted state, the brain will try to go to sleep, but if you try to stay awake you'll maintain focus. Recognizing that you're asleep can be difficult, as you don't have any reality filters, and thus won't find anything strange about things like the season suddenly changing, or small blue men riding bikes in the ceiling. Anyway, once you've realized that you're asleep, lucid dreaming should start by itself.

Has anyone here ever had sleep-blackouts? Sometimes when I'm really tired I suddenly find time has skipped ahead by a few hours, but I can always remember falling asleep (even if I didn't always realize that before I fell asleep), but once, after I got home from school I lay down on my bed to relax for a couple of minutes (I wasn't tired, just exhausted from school). I wanted to check my watch, so raised my arm to bring the watch into view, and suddenly the world had changed. The sun had moved considerably outside my window and my hand was gone but it still felt like it was there. Initially I felt no change at all, and was incredibly weirded out when I tried to move my arm, which had of course fallen down, but which my brain hadn't registered, so I still thought it was up in the air even though I couldn't see it and rationally knew it wasn't there. After I got out of bed I noticed my body felt like it had been sleeping, but my brain didn't at all. The blackout had lasted almost three hours.

Sorry for any typos and irrationality. I've been awake for 36 hours.
It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students who are motivated by money: As potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

Kineticka

Postby Kineticka » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:58 pm UTC

Berengal wrote:Has anyone here ever had sleep-blackouts? Sometimes when I'm really tired I suddenly find time has skipped ahead by a few hours, but I can always remember falling asleep (even if I didn't always realize that before I fell asleep), but once, after I got home from school I lay down on my bed to relax for a couple of minutes (I wasn't tired, just exhausted from school). I wanted to check my watch, so raised my arm to bring the watch into view, and suddenly the world had changed. The sun had moved considerably outside my window and my hand was gone but it still felt like it was there. Initially I felt no change at all, and was incredibly weirded out when I tried to move my arm, which had of course fallen down, but which my brain hadn't registered, so I still thought it was up in the air even though I couldn't see it and rationally knew it wasn't there. After I got out of bed I noticed my body felt like it had been sleeping, but my brain didn't at all. The blackout had lasted almost three hours.

Sorry for any typos and irrationality. I've been awake for 36 hours.

Yes! I can't recall any specific instances, but I have definitely experienced this. It's terribly disconcerting.

I've also had what I refer to as sleep-blinks. I'll be on my way to bed, I won't even have the memory of lying down, and it'll be morning. Nothing like sleep as the horizontal time accelerator.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:02 pm UTC

That's so odd. I always have a sense of the time that's passed since I went to sleep. Occasionally, that sense is distorted, but usually it's drawn out, not shortened (I'll drop off for a minute and it'll feel like I was out half an hour), but I always have a sense of some substantial quantity of time having passed. The idea of just straight up losing time is really, really weird...
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Kineticka

Postby Kineticka » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:05 pm UTC

I've had the sleep for a minute, feel like an hour moments too. But they're a lot less frequent than the blinks.

I never wake up feeling exhausted either. It really feels like I blinked, and was refreshed.

It's like I went into an inn in Final Fantasy. >>;

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:13 pm UTC

Oh dude, has anyone ever had an exhausting dream?

I had a dream once where I was sitting in my room, and there were people there, socializing. They were my friends, I think, and we were hanging out, but I was subtly trying to get them to leave so I could sleep. And I just couldn't get them to go away.

The night wore on, and in the dream I became more and more sleepy, until *finally* they all said their goodbyes and left, and I went over to bed, dropped into it for some sweet, sweet sleep.....

...and woke up in the real world, feeling like I had not slept whatsoever, despite having been down for eight hours.

I was exhausted all day.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Fossa

Postby Fossa » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:31 pm UTC

Belial wrote:Oh dude, has anyone ever had an exhausting dream?

I had a dream once where I was sitting in my room, and there were people there, socializing. They were my friends, I think, and we were hanging out, but I was subtly trying to get them to leave so I could sleep. And I just couldn't get them to go away.

The night wore on, and in the dream I became more and more sleepy, until *finally* they all said their goodbyes and left, and I went over to bed, dropped into it for some sweet, sweet sleep.....

...and woke up in the real world, feeling like I had not slept whatsoever, despite having been down for eight hours.

I was exhausted all day.

My first job was working as a cashier in a really busy clothing store. I started working in December making for a serious 'trial by fire'. The weekend before Christmas I remember working a 9 hour shift, getting off and getting home at 10:45 or so, and going to sleep exhausted.

That entire night I dreamt I was at work. One of the more realistic dreams I've had, too. Just a never ending line of customers with things to scan and fold and bag. Right as my shift was finally ending my alarm goes off.

Waking up "from" an 8 hour shift to find that I need to shower, throw clothes on, and go to a 9 hour shift... I was miserable. Worst sleep I've ever gotten.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:52 pm UTC

Belial wrote:Oh dude, has anyone ever had an exhausting dream? I had a dream once where I was sitting in my room, and there were people there, socializing. They were my friends, I think, and we were hanging out, but I was subtly trying to get them to leave so I could sleep. And I just couldn't get them to go away. The night wore on, and in the dream I became more and more sleepy, until *finally* they all said their goodbyes and left, and I went over to bed, dropped into it for some sweet, sweet sleep........and woke up in the real world, feeling like I had not slept whatsoever, despite having been down for eight hours. I was exhausted all day.

My Freshman year of high school. Nearly every night I dreamed.. of a full day. I dreamed of waking up, getting ready to go to school, going to school, having conversations with people, coming home, doing crap at home, going to sleep.. and then I'd actually wake up.

Which might contribute to my lack of desire to have anything to do with anything that reminds me of that.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Fat Tony

Postby Fat Tony » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:40 pm UTC

I never have the same dream twice. Ever. I don't even have very similar dreams more than once, except for one six-night period a few months ago.
For each of these six nights in a row, I dreamt about shrimp. One was me eating shrimp, one was me catching shrimp, one was me meeting Slash and finding out that he was a giant shrimp (with a cool top hat).
I don't even like shrimp.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:42 pm UTC

I've met Slash.... um... he's...well, more prawn-like than shrimp, but...

Are you sure that was a dream?

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:50 pm UTC

I once had a whole week of Transformers themed dreams.

This was before I even knew the new movie was coming out...
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

Mr. Beck
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Mr. Beck » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:53 am UTC

I have the opposite effect...my body seems to be the entire universe. (Perhaps this has something to do with the "perception filters" thing.) As soon as I realize this, however, I shrink and the room gets very large. Then I am very annoyed because I am a little more awake and will take longer to fall asleep, thereby robbing me of rest time.

A lot of things about sleep freak me out. Like http://xkcd.com/203/

Here's a question to ponder:
Suppose that we invented a drug that made us not need to sleep. We would never feel tired and would have no loss of aptitude. Every second we would feel as if we had a full 8 hours of sleep just a moment ago. The question is this: without any periods of mental inactivity- times when we can just not think- would we stay sane?

4=5

Postby 4=5 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:09 am UTC

you can't feel slept without that processing time.

and once I slept wrong so my leg fell completely asleep so when I got up everything shifted and I was suddenly on the floor. it was REALLY weird.

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:19 am UTC

ThorFluff wrote:
Sartorius wrote:I sort of enjoy the hypnagogic jerks I have. They always amuse me for some reason.

As do I actually, kind funny to wake up in bed when you just thought you walked off a cliff :P

I've Fallen out of my bed once, I have top bunk. And i didn't even wake up. When my brother, who had been awoken by the loud crash woke me up, I my entire side hurt like hell.
Apperently I took my pillow and cover with me in my fall, and they saved me from sustaining any worse damages. I didn't even have enough bloodflow to even bruise, really weird :P

i refused and refused to sleep on the top bunk, afraid i'd fall off. the one night i did... i fell off. into a pile of ninja turtle toys.

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

Berengal
Superabacus Mystic of the First Rank

Postby Berengal » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:53 am UTC

So yesterday I went to work really tired (had been awake for 18-24 hours, start of shift till end). Luckily for me, there were times with nothing to do, so I caught an hour on the sofa. What's very strange, however, is that when I woke up my TOP arm and leg were asleep. I didn't notice at first, and no tingly feeling was felt, but they were very heavy and sent signals of oxygen depravation for at least five minutes, and I had to conciously walk for at least twenty minutes to compensate for the difference in muscle efficiency. Being tired also made doing two things at once hard, so when I had to carry something (nothing heavy, just a cup or something) I more lumbered than walked, because I had to focus on not dropping the item as well. This was somewhat disconcerting to some demented old people, but luckily for me dementia kicked in and they'd forgotten all about it (and everything else but the second world war) a few minutes later, when the effect had worn off.
What really puzzled me was the fact that they were the limbs on top. If anything, the limbs beneath me should be asleep (I was lying on the side, pretending to watch tv), but no.
It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students who are motivated by money: As potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

Return to “General”