Dance or Martial Arts?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

lamarguerite

Re: Dance or Martial Arts?

Postby lamarguerite » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:25 am UTC

This is a bit of a digression.
Bakemaster wrote:On the subject of tango (I know this is a bit of a digression, but still relevant and maybe useful for the OP), I was wondering the other day what the major differences were between salsa tancing and the tango.

I'm by no means knowledgeable enough on this subject, but I think of salsa as faster/fun/flirty-sexy, while I think of tango as "I'm-tragically-in-love-but-want-to-kill-you" sexy. That's aside from technical differences, of course.

I totally, totally recommend ballroom dancing, just not for your original purpose of flexibility/balance. Ballroom/latin/swing is definitely worth it (especially if that girl's going too!)

Marvin wrote:
lamarguerite wrote:but that's really because that's something I've always wished I'd done.

then why don't you?

Oh yeah? Maybe I will! :D
Actually, yeah, I might now. You all just reminded me.

Wolf

Postby Wolf » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:27 pm UTC

lamarguerite wrote:This is a bit of a digression.
Bakemaster wrote:On the subject of tango (I know this is a bit of a digression, but still relevant and maybe useful for the OP), I was wondering the other day what the major differences were between salsa tancing and the tango.

I'm by no means knowledgeable enough on this subject, but I think of salsa as faster/fun/flirty-sexy, while I think of tango as "I'm-tragically-in-love-but-want-to-kill-you" sexy. That's aside from technical differences, of course.

I totally, totally recommend ballroom dancing, just not for your original purpose of flexibility/balance. Ballroom/latin/swing is definitely worth it (especially if that girl's going too!)

Tango is also a ballroom dance, so you travel around the room and look ten kinds of awesome. Salsa stays in one place, but the beat (and thus the dance, as lamarguerite said) is definitely faster. I'm personally a fan of tango, but if you're mainly going to go clubbing, it's probably better to learn salsa (I work at a ballroom studio, so I get to be at ballroom dance parties a lot, but I never got the impression they were particularly common).

And I totally agree that dancing is made of pure awesome and that you really should try it. It has a bit of a stigma about it going in, but once you start and just relax, it's really, really fun.
There's a method to my madness. Somewhere. Don't worry, I'll find it!

I'm learning game design! Watch my progress here: http://www.humming-rain.com

My friend wrote:You played fast and loose with punctuation and suffered the consequences.

zenten

Postby zenten » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:43 pm UTC

Salsa follows an eight beat rhythm, where you pause on the fourth and eighth beat. You also tend to move one way for the first three, and the other way for the last three.

I don't know tango really, but from what I've seen it's a lot more rigid, more like Latin ballroom dancing then the sweaty sexy salsa.

ThomasS

Postby ThomasS » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:39 pm UTC

Well, tango is done to tango music, and "the horizontal salsa" isn't a common expression.

But seriously, tango allows a lot of improvisations, both it terms of beat and in terms of weight shifts. So it is hard to point at a specific characteristic and say that it defines tango. There are decent examples of tango at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXhQNRsH3uc and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TyqjMp2HNI.

Closely related (sometimes people confuse the two, and a "tango school" might well teach both) is Milonga, a tighter faster dance - e.g. the mislabeled http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oN0o_ZgdCL0. It is probably easier to mistake for salsa, because of the speed and slightly different rhythm habits, but notice how tight they stay.

Also realize that tango is a language, the coordinated motions you see are perfectly possible even when there is no choreography - even when she is just following his lead. A lot of this language is the subtle weight shifts and body motions. So I tend to think of tango as a bit more body to body sexy, whereas salsa is a less subtle (and for me, less real) type of sexy.

Just to add to the name confusion, Milonga can also refer to a tango themed dance event. A tango ball if you will. E.G. I know of several weekly milongas in NYC, if you'd like to go practice your tango.

microwaved

Postby microwaved » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:35 pm UTC

If you want to improve your balance, I suggest adding this workout to your normal routine:

One-Leg Balance / Squat / Reach
Stand on one leg and hold it as long as you can. If this is too easy, add a slight squat motion. Still too easy? Place an object on the floor, several feet in front of you (a book, perhaps), and slowly squat down, and reach out with one arm and touch the object and slowly return to an upright position. Stay on one leg at all times. Repeat on the other leg after a minute or so.

Won't be as good as taking a martial arts or dance class but it will definitely help.

bluebambue
An der schönen blauen Donau

Postby bluebambue » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:00 pm UTC

Continuing the tango discussion...

It also depends on whether you're talking argentine or ballroom tando. Argentine has no "basic" step, it is just the guy leading the girl, to a type of music, with a very peculiar hold. It is not considered ballroom, generally, by those in the ballroom world. Normal tango has a slow-slow-slow-quick-tap rythm and travels around the ballroom. Salsa stays in one spot and goes step-replace-back/hold.

Both tangos are more intimate and/or angry than salsa.

zenten

Postby zenten » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:37 pm UTC

bluebambue wrote:Continuing the tango discussion...

It also depends on whether you're talking argentine or ballroom tando. Argentine has no "basic" step, it is just the guy leading the girl, to a type of music, with a very peculiar hold. It is not considered ballroom, generally, by those in the ballroom world. Normal tango has a slow-slow-slow-quick-tap rythm and travels around the ballroom. Salsa stays in one spot and goes step-replace-back/hold.

Both tangos are more intimate and/or angry than salsa.

I don't get why everyone is saying you don't move around the floor in salsa, as you definitely do.

ThomasS

Postby ThomasS » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:01 pm UTC

zenten wrote:I don't get why everyone is saying you don't move around the floor in salsa, as you definitely do.

When I've done salsa, we have perhaps wandered a little bit in a Brownian sense. But there was no line of dance or overall flow to the room. At a Milonga everybody will work their way counterclockwise around the room.

Also, there is a nice writeup about tango on wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tango_%28dance%29 which includes a discussion of the differences between styles. It still has its citation needed sign, but it agrees with bluebam's description and my limited experience. Though I'm not sure I would call ballroom tango "normal". Argentinian seems to be the default at the schools that I have visited.
Last edited by ThomasS on Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:40 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

VoteBob

Postby VoteBob » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:50 am UTC

Well, I've done both dance and martial arts. I think as far as what you want to achieve through these excercises, both fit equally well. It really just depends on which would draw you in from another perspective.

Martial arts is good in a repetative sort of way. You kind of shut down everything except your body and focus on form and motion. It is the more manly of the two (which never mattered to me, but might to you.) Do keep in mind you won't derive much as far as ass kicking goes until somewhat later on in your training.

Dance is a lot more mentally engaging (in my experience, anyway. others may disagree.) You have to remember form, steps, and counts as well as move with rhythm. If you're going the dance route make sure you choose the right kind. Avoid partner dancing, tap, hip hop, and modern. As fun as those styles are, they won't help much in flexibility or balance. Go for jazz, ballet, or acro.
"If you really want to hurt your parents, and you don't have the nerve to be gay, the least you can do is go into the arts"
- Kurt Vonnegut

lamarguerite

Postby lamarguerite » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:47 am UTC

ThomasS wrote:
zenten wrote:I don't get why everyone is saying you don't move around the floor in salsa, as you definitely do.

When I've done salsa, we have perhaps wandered a little bit in a Brownian sense. But there was no line of dance or overall flow to the room. At a Milonga everybody will work their way counterclockwise around the room.

In salsa, you get to stay in your own little slot/ box/ spot on the floor; you can move a little, wander around, or (definitely) rotate. On the other hand, in tango, it's pretty difficult to not travel quickly around the floor. (and if you stay in place you are probably blocking people).

whee, totally digressed!

lamarguerite wrote:
Marvin wrote:
lamarguerite wrote:but that's really because that's something I've always wished I'd done.

then why don't you?

Oh yeah? Maybe I will! :D
Actually, yeah, I might now. You all just reminded me.

I am looking into martial arts styles now, though. Honestly. Thanks for making me start something I've wanted to.

Nath

Postby Nath » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:55 am UTC

VoteBob wrote:Martial arts is good in a repetative sort of way. You kind of shut down everything except your body and focus on form and motion.

The degree to which this is true is highly dependent on your art and teacher.

zenten

Postby zenten » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:56 am UTC

ThomasS wrote:

Ah, ok. The leading partner in salsa determines where the pair will go, and salsa just determines how to get there, not the direction to travel.

stockpot

Postby stockpot » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:43 am UTC

What about figure skating?
The figure skaters I know are crazy strong and crazy flexible, and I'd bet their balance on ice is better than that of any yoga-er.

Durandal

Postby Durandal » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:16 pm UTC

Last edited by Durandal on Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:56 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:39 am UTC

Durandal wrote: I have lots of girls I know talking to their dance instructors about me anyway though... oddly enough girls appear to become unanimously excited when a guy shows interest in joining the sport.

Therefore, Win! (In my opinion, anyway :wink: )
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:18 am UTC

Capoeira.
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

Mo0man

Postby Mo0man » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:43 pm UTC

How old are you? If you're in the younger range, maybe you should try Wushu? it's more movie martial arts, ie Jet Li style, which would basically have no real use in a fight, but it's fun, and it's less girly. It's got tons of one leg balances and jumps and flips and stuff. It guess in style it'd be roughly comparative to contemporary dance. The only problem is that I'm not to sure of the quality of schools you'd get outside of Toronto
causa major dormuc vulnero ut ovis goatee
I'm number 20075. Remember that. It's important

Habanero

Postby Habanero » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:01 pm UTC

If you go for martial arts, you are most likely to end up in a room with 80%+ guys. If you take dance, you are likely to end up in a room with 80%+ [girls/women + not straight guys]. You'll have your pick of dance partners.

Dance = Win
Why make things difficult when it is possible to make them cryptic and totally illogical with just a little bit more effort?

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:49 pm UTC

Above post=win.

Although, if you are a teenager, don't do a teenage class, just wait awhile, there's grief there that you don't need.
Trust me.

eds01

Postby eds01 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:51 pm UTC

Tae Kwon Do is pretty good for what it is (i.e. learning how to do high kicks), but as a martial art, it's usually pretty bad. The sparring in particular is pretty atrocious. Because it's point sparring with only high kicks, they usually have no guard. More then that, they don't practice punching all that much, nor low kicks, nor ground work.

By all means, take it, but if you try to use it in a fight, expect this to happen to you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6mMtHqXyYc

Capoeira gives you a lot of strength, flexibility and balance, but a lot of the balance is balance on your hands. If you do Capoeira long enough, you'll be able to do a lot of acrobatic things that you never thought you could (as long as you practice them) - All of the stuff in this clip is stuff that you will see at one time or another in capoeira (a couple of the flips you will see for the most part only in games played as demonstrations, because their main effect is looking cool) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsbVyGtQ ... re=related

Again, be careful if you use it in real life. Before you do, learn things like spaceing and time and whatnot so you don't end up like this guy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8FJyScb ... re=related (word to the wise: throwing kicks that hit the air 5 feet in front of your opponent is stupid and a waste of energy). definitly don't fight like these guys: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv-WMFWpjo0. This right here is pretty good http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDpbHN-E ... re=related and this is really good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grmeD4UC ... re=related

thisisdavid

Postby thisisdavid » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:33 pm UTC

For what you want, dance definitely. First off, Tae Kwon Do is probably the least practical martial art for defending your self against someone who wants to hurt you, youtube search for Tae Kwon Do vs Muay Thai, I guarantee you wont find a video where the TKD guy wins. I'm not a fanboy for any martial art, in fact I don't practice any of them, but if you end up taking martial arts, do one that will actually help you in a fight (IE knees and grapples, not kicks and throws). At any rate, martial arts doesn't make you stronger, it probably won't help much with your balance, and only marginally affect your flexibility.

If you have the cajones to take ballet, you'll gain a LOT of improvement in flexibility and balance, and in the long run will give you a VERY nice physique. I know a ballet dancer who went to OU (one of the best dance schools) on a scholarship, he doesn't lift weights but he has a body I can only dream of. Plus it will give you a big boost for sports, Emmit Smith took ballet and it did wonders for him as a football player, and my dancer friend is fantastic at parkour using the skills he got from ballet. IMO taking ballet is about 10x manlier than Tae Kwon Do, it shows that you are way above what people think about you, and a black belt in TKD is more indicative of having an overbearing soccer mom than having fighting skills.
Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. That is to say, it can be done, but the frog tends to die in the process.
-E.B. White

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:05 pm UTC

thisisdavid wrote:IMO taking ballet is about 10x manlier than Tae Kwon Do, it shows that you are way above what people think about you...

Plus it gives you the opportunity to show off your Man-crotch (Assuming you are a man)

Nath

Postby Nath » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:44 pm UTC

thisisdavid wrote:For what you want, dance definitely. First off, Tae Kwon Do is probably the least practical martial art for defending your self against someone who wants to hurt you, youtube search for Tae Kwon Do vs Muay Thai, I guarantee you wont find a video where the TKD guy wins. I'm not a fanboy for any martial art, in fact I don't practice any of them, but if you end up taking martial arts, do one that will actually help you in a fight (IE knees and grapples, not kicks and throws). At any rate, martial arts doesn't make you stronger, it probably won't help much with your balance, and only marginally affect your flexibility.

I'm glad you're speaking from first hand experience, and not just making stuff up.

Oh, wait.

OK, here are the things I disagree with. First: there are reasons to take martial arts other than to actually learn to fight. Second: knees and grapples are good, but kicks and throws have their place. There are kicks and throws that are for show, and there are kicks and throws that are not for show. Third: martial arts have made me stronger, and have helped with my balance. I haven't really noticed any changes to my flexibility, but I don't study one of those flying-roundhouse-kick martial arts.

thisisdavid wrote:If you have the cajones to take ballet, you'll gain a LOT of improvement in flexibility and balance, and in the long run will give you a VERY nice physique. I know a ballet dancer who went to OU (one of the best dance schools) on a scholarship, he doesn't lift weights but he has a body I can only dream of. Plus it will give you a big boost for sports, Emmit Smith took ballet and it did wonders for him as a football player, and my dancer friend is fantastic at parkour using the skills he got from ballet. IMO taking ballet is about 10x manlier than Tae Kwon Do, it shows that you are way above what people think about you, and a black belt in TKD is more indicative of having an overbearing soccer mom than having fighting skills.

This paragraph is pretty much true.

cymon

Postby cymon » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:57 am UTC

Durandal wrote:Yoga would be great for flexibility, but less so for balance. I have to balance on blades less than a millimeter thick here, remember. I suppose I could do yoga and then integrate balance exercises into my workout, but that's just a big ball of boring. :P

Also, I'm not sure if I could pull off doing both, I have pretty much pure AP courses this year plus some extracurricular stuff, and they take up a lot of time.

As for what type of martial arts... well, I guess probably just your standard tae kwon do.

And thank you Julie, you're the third person on these here fora that has recognized it. I guess we're more numerous than I once thought :D

Perhaps you should pick up marathon running.

Zak

Postby Zak » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:35 pm UTC

Capoeira looks cool and does help with balance and stuff, but for self defence Krav Maga basically wins.
*waggles eyebrows*

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:06 am UTC

Yes, Krav Maga is rather intriguing. But I've always thought that even the best martial art isn't going to stop someone two meters away with a gun.

Now, I do understand that there are some rather versitile fighting techniques performed with a cane, and I wouldn't mind learning more about those. Bojitsu also sounds awfully nifty, but I've never seen any classes specifically offering to teach that.

I've done some capoeira myself, as well as some savate (French kickboxing). I eventually concluded that I was going to have to accrue rather more upper body strength in order to achieve much proficiency in either. At 4.5 hours per week, the capoeira was also a pretty hefty time commitment. It was especially hard on the knees. But then, at least no one was hitting me - it might be said my interest in savate also waned with some inner desire for self-punishment.

But one thing that has never done me wrong is good ol' fashioned aerobics classes - Step, Tae-Bo, that sort of thing. You get a good workout, you get to jump around in time to uplifting music, and most importantly, you don't have to worry about meeting anyone else's exacting standards except your own, which is blissfully liberating. (Also, you may likely find yourself surrounded by reasonably fit young women, but I have been led to believe that trying to pick people up at the gym is not a good idea.) The only major downside I know of is that apparently it's not particularly compatible with a strength-training program.

eds01

Postby eds01 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:45 am UTC

Still, as a friend of mines sig says, Teacher > Style.

The Krav Maga might be the most useful art (arguable, but I'll not get into it), and, say, Capoeira might be harder to use, but training under a Mestre that really understands how to impart Capoeira to his students would be much, much better then training with a Krav Maga practitioner who couldn't teach his way out of a paper bag.

Add to that the fact that you have a limited amount of dojos/academies/dojang/whatevers in a given area, and you're much better off finding a good teacher who can impart the kinds of skills you want (i.e. stand-up vs working on your ground game, or what have you), and training with him, instead of finding a style and looking for it. This of course should be ignored if you live in, say NYC, but for the rest of us, pay no attention to style when searching for a dojo.

Adalwolf

Postby Adalwolf » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:10 am UTC

Forget dance and asian martial arts. Learn European martial arts. Learn how to fight with a sword and shield, a spear, an axe, a mace, etc. That'd be badass.

You could also learn now to knife fight. That'd be cool.

You could also wrestle.
Live with passion. Die with passion.

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:14 am UTC

Adalwolf wrote:Forget dance and asian martial arts. Learn European martial arts. Learn how to fight with a sword and shield, a spear, an axe, a mace, etc. That'd be badass.

Not to mention entirely useless.
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Adalwolf

Postby Adalwolf » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:19 am UTC

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:
Adalwolf wrote:Forget dance and asian martial arts. Learn European martial arts. Learn how to fight with a sword and shield, a spear, an axe, a mace, etc. That'd be badass.

Nonsense.

Defend your home?

Picking a random object (like a crowbar or bat) to defend yourself? Knowing basic fighting techniques would help you.

Another thought: MMA?

Some type of unarmed combat training would be helpful. You should get some army manuals on the subject.
Live with passion. Die with passion.

Nath

Postby Nath » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:24 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:Now, I do understand that there are some rather versitile fighting techniques performed with a cane, and I wouldn't mind learning more about those. Bojitsu also sounds awfully nifty, but I've never seen any classes specifically offering to teach that.

I've dabbled a little in jojutsu. (Shorter stick.) Intriguing, but very specific. We did a bunch of formal exercises, all designed to fight people with swords. I didn't do enough of it to get anywhere, but my feeling was that it wasn't the sort of skill I could have transferred elsewhere.

eds01 wrote:Still, as a friend of mines sig says, Teacher > Style.

Yes. Teacher and fellow students. Thus the importance of visiting the school.

Adalwolf wrote:You could also learn now to knife fight. That'd be cool.

Be warned, though, that legal systems tend to be a lot sterner about knife fighting than other martial arts. Some guy mugs you; you take him down with a shoulder throw? OK. Some guy mugs you; you pull out a knife and expertly dispatch him? Suddenly, you don't seem like the victim.

Adalwolf wrote:Some type of unarmed combat training would be helpful. You should get some army manuals on the subject.

They're online. It's mostly stuff you'd see pretty early in, say, a jujutsu class. Useless without practice, but a good place to figure out if that's something you're interested in.

Marvin

Postby Marvin » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:05 am UTC

Adalwolf wrote:You could also learn now to knife fight. That'd be cool.

as long as you think knife fight is cool, i wouldn't...

if you want something useful go into dance, or be ready to invest a LOT of time in martial arts, there is no quick way there (at least none i know of)..

and i'm not suggesting that good dancing is easy, just that less than average dancing is more than lot of people can (me first)... and with that you can dance wherever you want, while with equal skill in MA you'll probably get beaten first time you try (even knowing more than lot of people, they can have: sticks, stones, strength, friend, some other object making your skill useless)...

as for balance, escrima (kali, whatever other name you call it) is great, but considering their stands i don't know how well you can use what you learn there in anything else but fighting, and it's IMO best armed MA system (and not bad unarmed)...
--
If God intended us to program we would be born with serial I/O ports.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:50 pm UTC

Nah, it's useful for getting the best tail at the SCA.*

*I have no idea. Making things up is *fun*!
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:53 pm UTC

Judging by a brief survey of the bad_sex community on LJ, the SCA *would* appear to be a seething hotbed of sex and debauchery.

Unfortuantely, the fact that this can be determined by a survey of the bad_sex community on LJ......
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:02 pm UTC

Well, in talking to the one guy I know who participates in the SCA.... it is a seething hotbed of sex and debauchery. But as he says.. it's with the kind of people who'd spend a weekend at an SCA event.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

lesliesage

Postby lesliesage » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:44 pm UTC

I've done beginners-past-the-age-of-12 dance and martial arts, and I think dance is way better for both flexibility and balance, but even more so for coordination. I'm very sporty and I always thought I was coordinated until I realized how hard it is to learn someone else's coordinated movements. It's like, you have to learn how to learn. No amount of intellectual focus will get your body to do something it hasn't practiced... which is good for the brain. Go modern. It's got the hard core roots of ballet for proper strength/posture/flexiblity, but is more dynamic, lacks the more boring elements of formalism, the parts are more unisex, and the clothing less... committed.

At a high level, there's a lot of these things in martial arts, but at intro level, I've never seen a class focus on flexibility for more than five minutes (it takes at LEAST half a hour to properly stretch a decent selection of muscles) and you only repeat very short movements, not long combinations that really make you work, and there's no fancy one-foot balance action.

Doing either totally impresses different groups of people (even if you don't care), and of course at the end of the day it depends on the particular class, so you could always try both and quit one.

Edit: I also support the doing of yoga and capoeira. They would suit your needs, and you will learn interesting things about vegan dieting.

Belial

Postby Belial » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:53 pm UTC

Go modern. It's got the hard core roots of ballet for proper strength/posture/flexiblity, but is more dynamic, lacks the more boring elements of formalism, the parts are more unisex, and the clothing less... committed.

These words she says, they are awesome.

They/them

Upsilon

Postby Upsilon » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:11 pm UTC

Adalwolf wrote:Picking a random object (like a crowbar or bat) to defend yourself? Knowing basic fighting techniques would help you.

It's not terribly difficult to kill someone/something with a bat or crowbar. You don't need training to know how to swing a blunt object.
22/M/USA
age/sex/location
Spoiler:
Upsilon avatar from TaintedDeity.

lesliesage

Postby lesliesage » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:40 pm UTC

Belial wrote:
Go modern. It's got the hard core roots of ballet for proper strength/posture/flexiblity, but is more dynamic, lacks the more boring elements of formalism, the parts are more unisex, and the clothing less... committed.

These words she says, they are awesome.
Thanks! Et quoi??? Do you dance?

Belial

Postby Belial » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:43 pm UTC

Used to back in high school. We had a *lot* of art electives. I was generally in Dance, Theatre, and Videography whenever they were available. Every stereotype ever says I should probably be gayer than christmas.

They/them

Return to “General”