Dear people of Earth,

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

dustygamble

Dear people of Earth,

Postby dustygamble » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:14 am UTC

Dear people of Earth,

People have built a God for themselves, one that truly will destroy the nations of their enemies, heal their sick, and give them superhuman powers at their very whim. Its name is science. We live in its very gut. It is not like the God of old who gave us only what He felt we needed. It is a God who gives us anything we ask for. That is why we now number 6.6+ billion (if my memory serves me). That is why we have guns, nuclear bombs, electricity, computers, and so on. It is a creation of our minds that serves us in reality. It is a God of our own making. It has existed since man has been man. It allowed us to see a stick as a weapon. It allowed us to control fire. It allowed us speech. Speech gives us the ability to share our minds. All communication does, but speech is special in its ability to form a pattern of thought in another's mind through the use of sounds. It also grants us special powers of abstract thought in our own heads. Speech was the beginning of the force in the world that is human thought. With communication's development in art and practice, and has steadily grown in power.

The rate of growth of the entity in our world that is human thought is constantly growing, like the function a/x. Each of the following happenings added to the value of a at their position in time:
the discovery of:
tools
language
math
computers

(the value of a is likely always increasing, but received a hefty bonus at each of these discoveries. There are likely others.)

The current rate of growth of the power of human thought is astronomical. The current power of human thought is incredible.

This is not a complete thought. It needs much revision and much addition, I believe. However, in spite of its flaws I felt that this path of thought was too urgent to leave to chance, and wished to place it in the minds of others as soon as possible. Please spread this message as you see fit.

Sincerely,
Dusty Gamble

*edit over 3 years later to add*
Since writing this, I've found Terence McKenna's work. His Singularity Theory is pretty much what I was driving at. Pretty cool to come back and read this after finding McKenna's writings.
Last edited by dustygamble on Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:18 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Durandal

Re: Dear people of Earth,

Postby Durandal » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:17 am UTC

Last edited by Durandal on Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:44 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Freakish

Postby Freakish » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:26 am UTC

I'm really not sure what the point of this thread is... I've known of science for quite some time now.
Freakish Inc. We completely understand the public’s concern about futuristic robots feeding on the human population

dustygamble

Postby dustygamble » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:29 am UTC

listen. I'm talking about the very nature of human existence according to science and everything else. I didn't read this in a book. I sat down and wrote it, just now. It seems important, and I'm paranoid. If the word "God" disturbs you, substitute the word "entity."

I can go out there right now and figure out how to do incredible things that I would not be able to do without the entity that human thought is. It is an entity based in reality. It is an entity that spawns from our minds, and spawned from the minds that came before us. It's fucking powerful. If you showed a man from even just a hundred years ago what human thought allows you to do today, he'd flip out. Things are progressing so fast and have progressed so far that nothing would surprise me about 100 years from now, I think. Open your eyes. This is a stranger time than the ones before it because of the entity that is human thought.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:35 am UTC

You're in the wrong place, we're almost all already lifetime tripleA platinum members of "Science".
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Durandal

Postby Durandal » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:37 am UTC

Last edited by Durandal on Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:44 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Freakish

Postby Freakish » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:39 am UTC

He's sounding kind of spiritual which is putting me off balance as to what his message is. I'm hoping it's just some pantheistic rant.
Freakish Inc. We completely understand the public’s concern about futuristic robots feeding on the human population

dustygamble

Postby dustygamble » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:41 am UTC

each addition to the books of science is an addition to the power that we hold in our hands. We swing atom bomb fists for fuck's sake. What are the moral, physical, social, mental, and spiritual implications of the current power of and rate of growth of the entity that is human thought? I mean, how is our reality affected by this massive entity in our lives that gets passed off as if it's just natural. It's real as hell for sure, I'm not questioning that, and it's useful - but what else is it? What are we because of it? What the hell am I? I cannot look into the past and see beings like myself. There is far more power at my fingertips than they ever dreamed of. What are the implications of a world full of people with the amazing powers that human thought and the house (hammer?) that it has built?

dustygamble

Postby dustygamble » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:46 am UTC

I'm not saying abandon science. That's clearly not an option now.

It's just a thought. See where it takes you.

Herman

Postby Herman » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:48 am UTC

This is why I don't like to tell people I post on internet forums. Right here.

Freakish

Postby Freakish » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:50 am UTC

dustygamble wrote:each addition to the books of science is an addition to the power that we hold in our hands. We swing atom bomb fists for fuck's sake. What are the moral, physical, social, mental, and spiritual implications of the current power of and rate of growth of the entity that is human thought? I mean, how is our reality affected by this massive entity in our lives that gets passed off as if it's just natural. It's real as hell for sure, I'm not questioning that, and it's useful - but what else is it? What are we because of it? What the hell am I? I cannot look into the past and see beings like myself. There is far more power at my fingertips than they ever dreamed of. What are the implications of a world full of people with the amazing powers that human thought and the house (hammer?) that it has built?

How much "power" do you actually have? Can you make a nuke? Can you fly into space? Can you heal ill?

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:51 am UTC

Herman wrote:This is why I don't like to tell people WHERE I post on internet forums. Right here.

Fix'd.
    Dear people of Earth,

The sky is blue, and it's about time people realized it. I'm tired of being the only one.

dustygamble

Postby dustygamble » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:55 am UTC

Also, whatever it is is clearly ingrained right into the nature of man. As I said, this entity is the same thing that allowed us to see a stick as a weapon and master fire. The power of the entity, and the power of the entity to grow were greatly increased by the following things (and perhaps others): language (including written), math and it's applications (science), and finally, the computer. Each of these advancements were of monumental importance. I find the power that math has given us frightening, though. I'm not saying it's evil or the devil. I'm saying it's scary as hell, and it's getting scarier every day. It'll never stop growing though. I'm not saying do something about it, I'm saying just look at what's going on. I don't have any answers. I just had this thought and it feels kind of huge to me - the very beginning of a path of thought that I've been searching for for a long time. I want others to join me on it.

I come here because I relate well to xkcd's comics and figured there would be like minds here.

Freakish

Postby Freakish » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:59 am UTC

Saying entity implies intelligence. What has driven us is simply curiosity.

Durandal

Postby Durandal » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:00 am UTC

Last edited by Durandal on Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:59 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

WraithXt1

Postby WraithXt1 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:15 am UTC

All hail the Encylcopedia Brittanica!

dustygamble

Postby dustygamble » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:16 am UTC

As I said, this is not a complete thought. I simply posted this out of paranoia that something would happen to me before I could finish the thought. It seems really important to me, someone who often questions his own nature and purpose, and looks not to a single book but to the entire external world. Human thought is natural. Human thought is the most amazing part of the natural world. It lets man share thoughts, swing atom bomb fists, and heal the sick.

Yes, I can get you an aspirin for your fever. Yes, I have the potential to become president and send atom bombs flying (though, after writing this, I'm likely not electable). I can further science as an art, and I can change the ways in which it is used. I have limits. I lack limits. Both are true. It's like the set of all whole numbers is infinite, but is also incomplete.

dustygamble

Postby dustygamble » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:20 am UTC

Freakish wrote:Saying entity implies intelligence. What has driven us is simply curiosity.

Untrue. Curiosity is but one thing that drives us. Desire to help, desire for profit, and a host other things drive us. Curiosity is a requisite of a genius mind, like Newton or Einstein, but other things fuel others who lack curiosity and are able to simply stand on the shoulders of such giants.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:22 am UTC

dustygamble wrote:As I said, this is not a complete thought. I simply posted this out of paranoia that something would happen to me before I could finish the thought.
Um, see a doctor. Trust me.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:25 am UTC

I know I find myself praying to Wiki at least once a day, and I offer up daily sacrifices of time and energy to the altar of Nollij.

zar

Postby zar » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:27 am UTC

dustygamble wrote:As I said, this is not a complete thought. I simply posted this out of paranoia that something would happen to me before I could finish the thought.

There's this great thing called "notepad", either the physical or electronic one. I think that's what you're looking for. If you get your thoughts together before rather than during your posting, you can avoid a lot of confusion.

Freakish

Postby Freakish » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:29 am UTC

All I'm really hearing is: "Science... Science... Oh my god, science." So I'll just assume that your high.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:35 am UTC

Shall we also reflect on the power of flowerly language to make one think that one has stumbled upon profound truth, despite its fundamental inadequacy as a symbol set for some overly complex concepts?

Also, a few years of graduate school may convince you otherwise of the wonderous majesty of science.

dustygamble

Postby dustygamble » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:40 am UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I know I find myself praying to Wiki at least once a day, and I offer up daily sacrifices of time and energy to the altar of Nollij.

You have all gotten too caught up on the word "God."

If you look to human thought, its implications in our lives are immense. The rate of growth of human thought is growing faster than ever (as it seems is always the case). Human thought is now a force in reality that rivals the power that people in the past thought "gods" had. This powerful entity that is a part of the real world, giving men superpowers of building, healing, destruction, thought (yes, we have even used thought to increase our own abilities to think. Language played a huge role, as did math, as did computers), etc., has recently, with the advent of computers, gained an astounding rate of growth, and the rate of growth continues to grow exponentially. The most powerful thing in the world, human thought, which has been growing comparatively slowly for a long time, is now growing very, very fast. Nothing would now surprise me. We are going somewhere, though... to the future... really fast... and nobody's fucking driving, and everybody's rowing their heart out. It's a hell of a ride, huh? Surely I'm not the only one who finds this enlightening.

dustygamble

Postby dustygamble » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:43 am UTC

Oh, yeah, and superpowers of communication. I'm communicating with a bunch of people in other parts of the world instantly.

This place is nuts. How do you people stay sane?

Durandal

Postby Durandal » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:46 am UTC

Last edited by Durandal on Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:00 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:47 am UTC

dustygamble wrote:How do you people stay sane?

By remembering just how banal reality really is, and that insanity is not worth the price of reframing my perception of things to meet the demands of some seemingly profound words I came up with.

Seriously.

zar

Postby zar » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:50 am UTC

Durandal wrote:It would be a hell of a lot more enlightening if you actually had a goddam point.

I agree with Freakish. Your ramblings are largely characteristic of the profound sense of understanding one receives whilst under the influence of drugs such as marijuana or LSD, coupled with the inability to communicate it.
Anyone here listen to Tool? Dustygamble is sounding like Rosetta Stoned.

dustygamble

Postby dustygamble » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:55 am UTC

Oh, hell, error.

Science is not the god-like being I was talking about. Human thought is.

Now that this is out, I feel better, and I'm returning to notepad to finish it to keep from wasting more of your time with ponderings. I'll share when I've finished, even if the conclusion I come to is "never mind." I don't think that that will be the case, though.

I'll be reading the responses, though, in case anyone makes a good point.

Also, the sky is falling, and uh, I pretty well knew what I was getting myself into when I posted this. I fully expected ridicule, but still hope for others to share my curiosity and help build this thought.

Durandal

Postby Durandal » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:05 am UTC

Last edited by Durandal on Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:58 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

e946

Postby e946 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:12 am UTC

Taking all bets, is this guy a troll, a bot, or a bot being run by a troll? Or i've got very long odds on this guy actually being serious.

Zak

Postby Zak » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:20 am UTC

Ive got one lamb on him being serious, but only because this is waaay to deep and open ended to be a troll or bot...
*waggles eyebrows*

Pathway
Leon Sumbitches...?

Postby Pathway » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:49 am UTC

So basically you're telling us that the current power and future potential of human reason are frightening and that it's worth being afraid of their consequences? Sort of a "What hath God wrought?" kind of thing? I just want to make sure I have you right.

dustygamble wrote:What are we because of it?

More like, We are because of it. Your very consciousness depends on you having the mind, the propensity to analyze and think creatively, that you do.

dustygamble wrote:What the hell am I? I cannot look into the past and see beings like myself. There is far more power at my fingertips than they ever dreamed of.

You're not such a different creature from a man with only a sharp stick and a deerskin coat. That guy has the same power of reasoning you have. Perhaps you're conflating the concept of 'human thought' with its products. They're not the same thing at all.

If you're going to claim that its products are dangerous, then sure, I'll agree. Then the question would be, what do you propose be done about that? As for me, even if I had the power to send us into a new Dark Age and to place strict controls on the amount of technological power humanity could possess, I wouldn't do it. I think that our capacity for reason gives us the power to control what we've wrought.
SargeZT wrote:Oh dear no, I love penguins. They're my favorite animal ever besides cows.

The reason I would kill penguins would be, no one ever, ever fucking kills penguins.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:10 am UTC

I'll have what this guy's having, on the rocks with a twist of lemon.

Zak

Postby Zak » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:13 am UTC

Make that two, and put it on his tab.
*waggles eyebrows*

Maurog

Postby Maurog » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:54 am UTC

I don't think the capability of human mind improved all that much over the last, say, 2000 years. Evolution doesn't work that fast. If you took a child born 2K years ago and transported it to modern era, it would not have any problem at all getting a full-scale education like the rest of us.

What makes the difference is invention and education. Inventors build something on top of this already impressive structure of science, and educators compress thousands of years worth of knowledge into ingestible pills, then feed them to the masses.

We're riding this wave of accumulated knowledge and it gets bigger and bigger. It's exciting and frightening at the same time, but there is no reason to worship it.
Slay the living! Raise the dead! Paint the sky in crimson red!

Iv

Postby Iv » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:42 am UTC

dustygamble, I can only say "welcome". Apparently you made a huge intellectual leap by rejecting a religious education (my guess) and it looks like a revelation to you. Some (most ?) of the people here already did this or even (as in my case) grew up without any kind of religious education or any god to shake from its pedestal. Most of the people here acknowledge the power that rationality and science give to humanity. This is not a new thought.

socynicalsohip

Postby socynicalsohip » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:19 pm UTC

[bathos] Wasn't there a South Park episode about this? [/bathos]
It's ok I wasn't using my civil liberties anyhow...

Subscribe to my Choon-cast at http://whoheshouldbe.libsyn.com/rss

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:34 pm UTC

dustygamble wrote:I'll be reading the responses, though, in case anyone makes a good point.

1) Please don't double post.
2) Please read the forum rules.
3) This topic is not, by any stretch, serious business.
4) This forum is not, by any stretch, your own personal blog.

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:09 pm UTC

The increasing pace of the sum total of human knowledge is quite interesting as a concept. Is it purely an emergent phenomenon, or is it predictable? And has anyone looked for a Moore's Law type rule covering species knowledge?
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

Return to “General”