Dear people of Earth,

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Sneds

Re: Dear people of Earth,

Postby Sneds » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:53 am UTC

Dustygamble, so what you're saying is that with great power comes great responsibility?

I agree, and unfortunately as a whole, the human race has never really understood this concept. Particularly in regard to nature and the environment.

dustygamble wrote:"But the Lord came down to see the city and the tower the people were building. "Look!" he said. "If they can accomplish this when they have just begun to take advantage of their common language and political unity, just think of what they will do later. Nothing will be impossible for them! Come, let's go down and give them different languages. Then they won't be able to understand each other."

It still boggles my mind that some people actually believe these Bible stories to be the literal truth. It's quite staggering really. Not least of all because God is always portrayed as such an asshat.

dustygamble

Postby dustygamble » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:55 am UTC

Midnight wrote:wait how is science an entity? it doesn't have form, mass, or any imitation of individuality.

Entity: http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=entity&x=0&y=0
I think that science pretty well fits the bill.

bbctol wrote:Okay, dustygamble, you still don't have a thesis statement. Your post is "The collective consciousness progressed in the past. Discuss." Discuss what? What, exactly, is the purpose of this thread? Because if this is a "I think this is a cool thought" thread, then either post in Fleeting/Random Thoughts, or get a blog!

This is neither fleeting nor random. It's here and now, and the future too, and it's very real. It's just a big question, so no, there is no thesis. However, without questions there are no answers. Answers are not the only important things. Even holding a question and not having an answer can be beneficial. How are you going to know if you find the answer if you don't know the question. Of course, it's not a simple, concise question, but that's life. There's also no simple answer, I'm quite sure. If I were smart enough to figure out the answer on my own, I'd better have me some damn followers. I'm not, though, so I have to settle for groupies.

I think others will find it important and enlightening, even if you do not.

Zak

Postby Zak » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:58 am UTC

dustygamble wrote:How are you going to know if you find the answer if you don't know the question.

The answer is 42.

The question is much more difficult, ask the mice.
*waggles eyebrows*

dustygamble

Postby dustygamble » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:59 am UTC

Sneds wrote:Dustygamble, so what you're saying is that with great power comes great responsibility?

I agree, and unfortunately as a whole, the human race has never really understood this concept. Particularly in regard to nature and the environment.

dustygamble wrote:"But the Lord came down to see the city and the tower the people were building. "Look!" he said. "If they can accomplish this when they have just begun to take advantage of their common language and political unity, just think of what they will do later. Nothing will be impossible for them! Come, let's go down and give them different languages. Then they won't be able to understand each other."

It still boggles my mind that some people actually believe these Bible stories to be the literal truth. It's quite staggering really. Not least of all because God is always portrayed as such an asshat.

If you're implying that I take the verse literally, or even believe it actually happened, you're wrong. I simply think it a fascinating old story. I have no opinion as to the truth of the tale. It is strange, though, the new perspective that the present gives on that ancient story.

*edited for clarity*

Sneds

Postby Sneds » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:05 am UTC

dustygamble wrote: If you're implying that I take the verse literally, or even believe it actually happened, you're wrong. I simply think it a fascinating old story. I have no opinion as to the truth of the tale. It is strange, though, the new perspective that the present gives on that ancient story.

*edited for clarity*

No I wasn't, not at all. When I said "some people" I wasn't referring to you specifically, just to "some people" out there. I maybe should have made that more clear.

Kag

Postby Kag » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:05 am UTC

dustygamble wrote:It's just a big question, so no, there is no thesis.

Are you implying that you actually don't have a point?
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

Robin S

Postby Robin S » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:12 am UTC

dustygamble, I would like to point out that your quotation from Genesis (11:5-7) is fairly poorly translated, and the original says nothing about "if this is what they can do now, think what they will do later".

Other than that, I'd like to agree with what most people have said. Yes, human knowledge is expanding at an ever-increasing rate. Yes, it's not being "steered" in the literal sense, because that would require some sort of worldwide dictator. However, fretting about it is unlikely to get you, or anyone else, anywhere.
This is a placeholder until I think of something more creative to put here.

dustygamble

Postby dustygamble » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:15 am UTC

Kag wrote:

I won't waste everyone's time responding to such questions as this. I'm sure many people will think those of you who choose to act like this quite bad-ass, though, and you will make many new friends. If you don't find it interesting, please move on, unless you need new "friendz." (you kids still think replacing s's with z's is cool, right?)

Thanks.

Robin S wrote:dustygamble, I would like to point out that your quotation from Genesis (11:5-7) is fairly poorly translated, and the original says nothing about "if this is what they can do now, think what they will do later".

Other than that, I'd like to agree with what most people have said. Yes, human knowledge is expanding at an ever-increasing rate. Yes, it's not being "steered" in the literal sense, because that would require some sort of worldwide dictator. However, fretting about it is unlikely to get you, or anyone else, anywhere.

I don't so much want to fret about it. I'd like to see it on the public conscience, though, declared as clearly as possible. My pondering, while child's play for the geniuses here, has many points that the average man is completely unaware of which I find crucial to understanding our place in the world.

Robin S

Postby Robin S » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:25 am UTC

dustygamble wrote:I won't waste everyone's time responding to such questions as this.
No offence, but you just have.
I'm sure many people will think those of you who choose to act like this quite bad-ass, though, and you will make many new friends. If you don't find it interesting, please move on, unless you need new "friendz." (you kids still think replacing s's with z's is cool, right?)
This is an ad hominem fallacy, not to mention an unjustified assertion. You're basically saying "you're just arguing with me to look cool, and therefore I'm not going to address what you said". I have reason to believe that Kag was doing nothing of the sort: the point of this forum is to raise issues for discussion. If your posts consist of a closed commentary with no clear direction, then it is hard for anyone to respond meaningfully. We do not mean to insult you. I don't, anyway.
I'd like to see it on the public conscience
That wasn't clear to me from your previous posts. Since the people here are for the most part already aware of the issue you are raising, a useful discussion might be more aptly geared to discussing how to raise public awareness of the situation.

dustygamble

Postby dustygamble » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:30 am UTC

Robin S wrote:
dustygamble wrote:I won't waste everyone's time responding to such questions as this.
No offence, but you just have.
I'm sure many people will think those of you who choose to act like this quite bad-ass, though, and you will make many new friends. If you don't find it interesting, please move on, unless you need new "friendz." (you kids still think replacing s's with z's is cool, right?)
This is an ad hominem fallacy, not to mention an unjustified assertion. You're basically saying "you're just arguing with me to look cool, and therefore I'm not going to address what you said". I have reason to believe that Kag was doing nothing of the sort: the point of this forum is to raise issues for discussion. If your posts consist of a closed commentary with no clear direction, then it is hard for anyone to respond meaningfully. We do not mean to insult you. I don't, anyway.
I'd like to see it on the public conscience
That wasn't clear to me from your previous posts. Since the people here are for the most part already aware of the issue you are raising, a useful discussion might be more aptly geared to discussing how to raise public awareness of the situation.

It was not a response, but a declaration to others with the same idea.

Kag, if that is the case, I apologize for speaking rashly.

That sounds like a good place to take it - should the public be made aware? How might it be accomplished?

My personal opinion to the first question is certainly yes, the public should know. As to how it might be accomplished, I think that both clarity and brevity are of utmost importance, but a broader knowledge base (perhaps a wiki) would be quite useful for those who took interest in the thought.

*edit*
There are plenty of ways to spread a brief text message, once one is written. Some will be more effective, and some less, but the medium is of far less concern than the message itself.

Robin S

Postby Robin S » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:37 am UTC

Please note that what you are essentially advocating - "make sure, preferably quickly and in a brief format, that everyone knows how fast technological progress is accelerating" - is actually at the base of a lot of scaremongering which certainly isn't helping anyone. That's not to say the general idea might not be a good one, if a good deal of thought were given to it by a large number of sensible people over a long period of time.

Pathway
Leon Sumbitches...?

Postby Pathway » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:39 am UTC

As was said earlier: what, precisely, is the message? Is it just that technology progresses?
SargeZT wrote:Oh dear no, I love penguins. They're my favorite animal ever besides cows.

The reason I would kill penguins would be, no one ever, ever fucking kills penguins.

dustygamble

Postby dustygamble » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:43 am UTC

Oh me yarm Oh NUKES AND GENETIC ENGINEERING!!!

It is brief and to the point, don't you think? It will also fit onto a t-shirt.

Where could we find a reasonable sized group of sensible individuals? I don't think it would be so difficult. The internet's pretty huge, and I've met quite a few sensible people in my small town. (it should be noted that I came to this forum expecting many xkcd fans to be sensible individuals. That's why I'm not on the Counter Strike boards with this thing)

*edit*

Thus the question remains: is it worth doing?
Last edited by dustygamble on Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:50 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Robin S

Postby Robin S » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:49 am UTC

Is what worth doing, exactly? Printing a T-shirt with "Oh me yarm Oh NUKES AND GENETIC ENGINEERING!!!"? Possibly, for the comedy value. Sitting down with some like-minded sensible people and thinking about how best to educate the public about the situation? Again, possibly, but I'd like to point out that this is already being done and one smallish extra group of people is unlikely to make a huge difference.

dustygamble

Postby dustygamble » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:52 am UTC

I wasn't serious about the Oh me yarm Oh thing. I meant something probably more pamphlet sized, but I'm a fan of digital (less waste).

Where is this being done? Their advocacy sucks - I've never heard of them.

*edit*
Also, I think I'd rather work on the problem myself, if for nothing else than for the education and enjoyment. It would be awesome to be a part of a like-minded group working on such a problem. I've got absolutely zero qualifications. Pick me!
Last edited by dustygamble on Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:57 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Robin S

Postby Robin S » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:56 am UTC

Do you think people will hear of you?

Also, when I'm the only person who's said anything since your previous post, it's not necessary to quote what I've said. Especially when, as in an earlier case, my post was fairly long and itself contained quotes. Generally, quotes are useful when it might be ambiguous whom or what you're replying to.

dustygamble

Postby dustygamble » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:01 am UTC

Yes, I am certain that people will hear me. I'm a creative and resourceful individual, and know many others. If the message is good, I can see that it's spread.

Thanks for the lesson in forum etiquette. I'll go read the forum rules in case I'm missing out on important stuff there.

functionally_stupid

Postby functionally_stupid » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:02 am UTC

*rolls eyes* You do realize that this idea of yours is something everyone on these fora already understands at some level? Yeah, sure, "collective human unconscious", "god is human minds", now STFU and get back to thinking until your mental state levels up into a solution-making class, rather than a data-spotting class.

We are a group of fairly cool people. We pick up unconscious data very easily. You will too, as you get older and mature. I'm very happy for you; you'll probably become more and more adept at picking up these essential truths of human nature as you get older. And it's a very *nice* piece of data; it looks like you also got a few unrelated scraps to go with the main one. I'm not saying your idea is stupid or invalid; it's fairly cute, as far as information can be considered cute. Well done, child.

However, for your future reference, this is the sort of thing you should just note down and integrate into your overall thought-lattice than something you should panic about. The truth you have discovered exists, in analog, in everyone else's thought-lattices already; once you've built up more of collection of data, you'll be able to spot inter-data connections and make your lattice stronger, and you'll be able to pick out and analyze interesting relationships between facts. You'll have an "Oh, duh, other people know this already" moment. Finally, you'll develop the ability to *create* useful data based on data you know already; you'll learn to come up with solutions to problems, and investigate possible consequences of actions you take. In this instance, you could come up with possible means of harnessing the power of human minds, in order to direct them towards a single goal. Research departments do this, and so do smart politicians; surround yourself with a bunch of highly intelligent and creative people and give them a goal, and they tend to come up with brilliant solutions. We're pretty safe from the horrifying powers of human thought, if only because it's damned difficult to control; monks of all religions meditate, sometimes for *years*, before they reach breakthroughs in the road to divine enlightenment/nirvana, so you've got very little to worry about, dear.

...For the most part, though, you are still very young, and your mind could use some honing and tempering. Cultivate your analytical and organizational skills; a messy thought-lattice produces shoddy ideas. You've got a good mental groundwork, but your tendency to fantasize introduces error into your thought process. Keep working. Learn to focus and organize your thoughts; spontaneous ideas of true value occur in well-kept mental gardens.

Amusedly,
f_s
I wrote it in a style I fondly refer to as "unabashedly fancy" - i.e., "Fuck Zen minimalism, I'm gonna use all of my favorite words and stack loads of complex syntax n' modifying phrases'n'clauses in this motherfucker, goddamn."

Freakish

Postby Freakish » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:03 am UTC

Just making sure. The problem is that we are learning out of control and need plan?
Freakish Inc. We completely understand the public’s concern about futuristic robots feeding on the human population

Robin S

Postby Robin S » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:11 am UTC

functionally_stupid, your post came across as rather patronizing.

dustygamble wrote:Yes, I am certain that people will hear me. I'm a creative and resourceful individual, and know many others. If the message is good, I can see that it's spread.
Unfortunately, I think you're being overoptimistic. Many, many people out there are convinced they have discovered some important new truth to which the world must be alerted. However, few of them see their message spread very far and, even among those who do, most still only reach a minority audience. I can appreciate how epiphanic your thoughts must feel and, as others have said, we have all experienced similar thoughts ourselves. However, I'm afraid - as is sadly often the case with epiphanies - it's not as revolutionary as you might at first think.

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:17 am UTC

dustygamble wrote:
bbctol wrote:Okay, dustygamble, you still don't have a thesis statement. Your post is "The collective consciousness progressed in the past. Discuss." Discuss what? What, exactly, is the purpose of this thread? Because if this is a "I think this is a cool thought" thread, then either post in Fleeting/Random Thoughts, or get a blog!

This is neither fleeting nor random. It's here and now, and the future too, and it's very real. It's just a big question, so no, there is no thesis. However, without questions there are no answers. Answers are not the only important things. Even holding a question and not having an answer can be beneficial. How are you going to know if you find the answer if you don't know the question. Of course, it's not a simple, concise question, but that's life. There's also no simple answer, I'm quite sure. If I were smart enough to figure out the answer on my own, I'd better have me some damn followers. I'm not, though, so I have to settle for groupies.

I think others will find it important and enlightening, even if you do not.

A question's something we can discuss too. Questions are fine to start threads on.
*re-reads thread*
So what's the question?

functionally_stupid

Postby functionally_stupid » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:26 am UTC

I really wouldn't worry about us "learning too fast" as a species; usually, problems in the world arise due to the natural entropy of human society and the charisma of sociopaths (essentially, sociopaths 'learn' only when it will serve their own id-like needs; they learn to inspire trust and good feelings specifically because that makes it easier for them to operate). We are, certainly, at a very interesting stage in human development; we might someday discover how to create a social structure that fights its own entropy. And sociopaths are rare; they are problematic, and correcting their faulty thought processes is extremely difficult. Since they are so rare, it is not worth the effort to seek them out and change or destroy them; I think it would be more productive to just encourage good people to be leaders, as a counteractive measure.

All human civilizations rise and fall; fighting that is a bit like trying to hold an ocean in your hands. It's more productive to come up with ways to reduce or control that entropy, or to design systems that reverse it. That task is much more than a single human, or even a group of humans, could possibly manage; the birth-rebirth process of mankind could even be seen as a good thing, but if it upsets you, you're free to try and redefine a society's "death" on your own terms, to avoid bloodshed (Geneva Convention), famine (genetic engineering for plants, carried out responsibly), poverty (social security, setting up a religion that demands you to "give to the needy"), and the loss of data (the Internet, anyone?).

@ Robin: Yes. And?
I wrote it in a style I fondly refer to as "unabashedly fancy" - i.e., "Fuck Zen minimalism, I'm gonna use all of my favorite words and stack loads of complex syntax n' modifying phrases'n'clauses in this motherfucker, goddamn."

dustygamble

Postby dustygamble » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:31 am UTC

functionally_stupid wrote:*rolls eyes* You do realize that this idea of yours is something everyone on these fora already understands at some level? Yeah, sure, "collective human unconscious", "god is human minds", now STFU and get back to thinking until your mental state levels up into a solution-making class, rather than a data-spotting class.

I didn't come here to enlighten, I came here to share a question. If I wanted to enlighten some folks, I know where to find idiots. You should understand that all of this is still pouring out of a eureka moment which was perhaps tiny on a grand scale, but quite large in my own life. My head is teaming with a thousand questions, and I am quite lucky to have instantly found a room full of such enlightened individuals. *edit* actually, I'm not quite sure why I came here. I should have a complete thought before I begin to type. I didn't come here for gratification, though.

Your two examples, however, are quite different from the thing I speak of. If you do not see it as so, it is either because I have failed in my writing or you are failing in your reading. *edit* I will check my writing to make certain I am being clear. It is possible that I need to further elaborate, or have muddled up the words.

Many of the points you make are interesting. I have certainly learned from your insight, and will be glad for whatever else you share.

I mutually find you quite amusing.

re:bbctol
I do not believe that the average man accounts for many or most of these things in his world-view. Do you think he does, and should he? (don't include the irrelevant parts of my pondering - let's pretend that a group of smart people make a better message - mine will serve to give you an idea of the kind of message I'm talking about, though)

Robin S

Postby Robin S » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:44 am UTC

functionally_stupid wrote:@ Robin: Yes. And?
Why? It's offensive and helps no-one.

functionally_stupid

Postby functionally_stupid » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:50 am UTC

Robin: Actually, the tone was chosen specifically to be accessible to the OP; it served its purpose admirably. If I had been approaching *you* with my opinion, I would have gone about it in a respectful, inoffensive, faux-timid manner; that was not my intent.

And to dusty: :D Ah, heck, lighten up, lad, I were joshin' ye. Ye need not be so bloody serious. Arrrr.

No, the modern man does not really take into account how absolutely incredible his ascent from lumbering stack of meat to self-aware intellectual battleship is. Humans are very adaptable; they get used to things very quickly, and frequently discard information that does not factor into their everyday lives. In my opinion, that's a very positive trait (people can survive things like Auschwitz!), but it can also be used against them (people did things like Auschwitz by being led into it, psychologically, over a depressingly short period of time). If you want people to buck up and pay some attention to the fact that the way we live today is mindfuckingly incredible, well, write a blockbuster comedy on the subject that's accessible to the illiterate masses. Include brilliant taglines that infiltrate the common vocabulary and stay around for hundreds of years. Get lots of press and have it translated into every possible language. Use the money from the ticket and DVD sales to fund free TV showings. Deliberately allow it to be fan-subbed and spread through the internet.

Of course, to do that properly - since it would require both scads of money and scads of influence - you'd have to spend decades worming your way through the existing infrastructure, after which you may have totally forgotten your original plans. *shrug* I'd settle for just making sure every person I ever met in my life realized how awesome life is, and choose a profession in which I would come across thousands and thousands of people on a yearly basis (say, teacher?).

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:58 am UTC

In spite of everything, though, it seems that it was inevitable that we get here. One way or another, it would have happened. What is the meaning of this? What is the meaning of being so powerful? No one saw this coming*. None in human history have had to deal with this power, but all have helped create it. What do we do now that we're here? All barriers have been removed. It is the future. We are indeed here. We may now tap power unimaginable.

Meaning? Why must it have meaning? Does every action or happenstance have its purpose? This is like my (admittedly low) understanding of chaos theory: the outcome was wholly unpredictable given a set of simple inputs. Humanity has over the years found that it is greater than the sum of its parts.

But reading "meaning" into it implies that it is "for" something, and is thus a wrong question. Human conciousness, at the most basic level, exists to keep us alive. Afterwards, it exists to keep us happy. Managing that, it exists to keep our loved ones happy. We are powerful, yes, but there's nothing supernatural about it. You are looking upon the work of a trillion people over a million years.

As for what we do now, this is not as final as you make it out to be. "All barriers have been removed"? Alright then. Let's have an xkcd meetup on Mars. Or, let's get rid of this oil stuff. Or, let's go build a computer that can think back at us. What's that? We can't yet? Exactly. You seem to imagine technology and history as a process culminating in 2008. The fact is, it is a process that is by its very nature ongoing. We are not in the future, and never will be. We are in the present. Humankind will run out of goals only when we are extinct, and then I think we have enough optimism to last the universe a few minutes afterwards as well.

As for whether or not the modern man realizes it, does it matter? Those who can change things realize it. Those who can't are probably faintly aware, proportional to their age. (If you were born in a time when listening to something live on the radio from far away was zomgamazing, then live streaming video that the masses can access and broadcast is a lot more amazing than if you compare that latter technology to "wow, this is better than when we used to have to download avi's!")
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

4=5

Postby 4=5 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:00 am UTC

functionally_stupid wrote: I'd settle for just making sure every person I ever met in my life realized how awesome life is,...(say, teacher?).

or nonprofit drug dealer.

functionally_stupid

Postby functionally_stupid » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:01 am UTC

4=5 wrote:
functionally_stupid wrote: I'd settle for just making sure every person I ever met in my life realized how awesome life is,...(say, teacher?).

or nonprofit drug dealer.

... Okay, I lol'd. XD

dustygamble

Postby dustygamble » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:19 am UTC

*edit*
I should've read before I typed.

brb. in like a day. I'll be all lightened up. Thanks for understanding, everybody.

*edit*
p.s. Look what freedom we have. It is beautiful. (I'm sure you already know, but it is nice to think on anyway, isn't it?)
Last edited by dustygamble on Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:44 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:24 am UTC

Don't worry, we've had fun.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

Robin S

Postby Robin S » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:37 am UTC

4=5 wrote:or nonprofit drug dealer.
That'll guarantee you meet lots of people, too.

Freakish

Postby Freakish » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:40 am UTC

Is it just me or do submissive posters take all the fun out of arguments?
Freakish Inc. We completely understand the public’s concern about futuristic robots feeding on the human population

ducknerd

Postby ducknerd » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:20 am UTC

...Who's arguing? Frankly, I think you're the only one trying to argue here.
17/Male/Hetero/Euromutt

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:10 am UTC

Kag wrote:

He's a sphere, by this point...

functionally_stupid

Postby functionally_stupid » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:36 am UTC

Freakish wrote:Is it just me or do submissive posters take all the fun out of arguments?

XD Do you mean people who write submissive posts, or submissive people who write posts? Because you'd be surprised how belligerent actual *submissives* can be when they argue, and, personally, I find them endearing and fun.

As for people who write posts that are submissive, well, no harm in that, is there? It's a valuable tactic, frequently employed by wolves, to end fights. And wolves are *awesome*! ... doesn't my train of thought just make your head ache? Seriously, though, it takes a lot of ovaries to concede an argument. No dissin' sensible people, kay?

@ dusty: Hope y'aren't too rattled/hurt/ashamed/startled, hon'. Didn't mean to make yeh sad, or nothin'. I, meself, frequently discover that letting thoughts simmer for a while helps me to sort things out. Personally, I find you a charming young gentleman, and hope to see more of you in the future.

evilbeanfiend

Postby evilbeanfiend » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:48 pm UTC

the OP's ideas seem similar to de spinoza's idea of god, i suggest the they go off and read "ethics".

edit: heres a link to it if you dont fancy buying it http://www.yesselman.com/e1elwes.htm
in ur beanz makin u eveel

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:19 pm UTC

dustygamble wrote:
Kag wrote:

I won't waste everyone's time responding to such questions as this. I'm sure many people will think those of you who choose to act like this quite bad-ass, though, and you will make many new friends. If you don't find it interesting, please move on, unless you need new "friendz." (you kids still think replacing s's with z's is cool, right?)

Thanks.

Hi anfury!

On a serious note, you keep mentioning questions in the abstract, yet never bothering to form a complete concrete question.

I believe the one you're looking for is "What's the point of it all?"

And the answer is there isn't one, and looking for a point kinda defeats the purpose of the whole thing, of which there isn't. Now exuse me while I get all pop culture in here with my finisher to that statment..... Savvy?

*edit* I'm not saying I don't want to hear your point. I'm saying make it already. Intellectual masturbation helps no one. Also, translate what you're about to say into modern Gangsta, then back to English. Might help you be a bit more concise.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

OfficiallyHaphazard
Age=postcount/60

Postby OfficiallyHaphazard » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:55 pm UTC

The original topic of this thread kinda reminds me of:

Except it would read:
Science summarized.

I just had an awesome idea, what if there was a giant collective body of knowledge, called "science."-
-What would that imply?
I dunno-
"Who are you, how did you get in my house?" - Donald Knuth

ishikiri

Postby ishikiri » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:34 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:
Herman wrote:This is why I don't like to tell people WHERE I post on internet forums. Right here.

Fix'd.
    Dear people of Earth,

The sky is blue, and it's about time people realized it. I'm tired of being the only one.

Actually the sky is purple.

As you were.
clintonius wrote:The "thwak thwak thwak" in this movie makes me think they cranked up a powerpoint slideshow of angry pictures set to the soundtrack of a furious masturbator.

Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:45 pm UTC

@functionally_stupid: Indeed, it is the submissive post, not the submissive poster, that ruins an argument. I am the submissive poster, but not the post. Mind you, if I did get caught up in an argument... but first you'd have to interest me. :wink:

Which this guy didn't.

Really, no harm to you fellow, but you're still catching up. I suggest reading Serious Business :[ for a day. It will be enlightening, and give you an idea of what you're working with. The people here are learners. They don't need to be told anything, and asking for open-ended discussion is going to cause essentially what you see here: The original topic will be hardly paid attention to.

Now, what can you do about this? You can try to incorporate yourself into their way of life, or you can simply jump in like Geronimo (only with less icky death scene). But, if you're stupid Geronimo, the air force will kick you out. If you're awesome Geronimo, the air force will supply you with a parachute.

[/Taking metaphors too far]
Belial wrote:You are giving me the tools to sodomize my vast imagination, and for this I am grateful.

PM Me, if you care for a chat.

Return to “General”