Sleep patterns

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

How Do You Sleep?

2-3 Hours
1%
4-5 Hours
17%
6-7 Hours
37%
8-9 Hours
23%
None, then I nap for most of the day.
2%
Otter Sleep.
20%

Total votes: 87

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:45 am UTC

My personal experience has been that when I'm spending all my time indoors, at home, wasting time, I drift into a 27-ish-hour cycle. When I am active during the day, out and about, making good use of my time, not only do I tire at the right time, I am mentally more prepared for sleep when I should be.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Castaway
Mr. Fancy-Pants

Postby Castaway » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:25 am UTC

I wake up at 7:15 and go to sleep between 10:30 and 12.
You've just lost twenty dollars and my self respect.

Rat wrote: so i sprinted back down this hill like a fucking mountain goat

__Kit

Postby __Kit » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:20 am UTC

I do the reset thing, every holiday right at the end. Also good to get the homework you've been procrastinating the whole holiday done.
=]

Solt

Postby Solt » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:57 am UTC

I have similar problems, including the whole butting heads with my clockwork parents about my sleeping patterns.

I think it's probably just your lifestyle. Past 12pm, no one can bother you because they are all asleep, so you prefer to be awake then. Things are calmer and you can do what you want. I'm more active at night than in the morning, so I end up staying awake later to get things done. My sleep schedules have always gone to hell within a few days of trying to reset them.

Question: Does the pattern stop after a certain time? Ie, can you consistently goto sleep at 3 and wake up at 11, or does it goto 4, 5, etc.
"Welding was faster, cheaper and, in theory,
produced a more reliable product. But sailors do
not float on theory, and the welded tankers had a
most annoying habit of splitting in two."
-J.W. Morris

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:06 pm UTC

For now: bed at 2:00 AMish wake up at noonish

Sprocket
Seymour

Re: My sleep pattern

Postby Sprocket » Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:24 pm UTC

hack124x768 wrote:I've been bumping heads with my mother over some sleep issues recently. I am a night person, she is a morning person. She expects me to be up at the crack of dawn (but not from the previous day). So yes, that's your background information. [/stupid stuff]

So, I noticed something. I can go to be at 10 one night, and then the next I won't end up in be till 11 or so. This happened without me trying to control it, Although I know that isn't very scientific. Usually I get to 3 or so at the latest by that pattern. Then I noticed, If I pull an all-nighter, the nest day i am quite tired and go to bed earilier, thus reseting the cycle. Pulling one once a week seems to keep me pretty well balanced.

You made a LOT of typos here. sign?

I'd say it all depends on your age. When I was in college I slept all kindza crazy hours. Suddenly, second semester Jr. year I was just not able to pull dual-weekly all nighters anymore. I did occasionally anyway because I am a God among average procrastinators when it comes to school work.

Do I think it's healthy? no. Do I think it's a disorder? No. It's you making choices to stay up and such. It's only a disorder if you're actually trying to sleep at regular hours and find (after a time) that you can't.

Also Castaway - The game doesn't work that way. After someone mentions the game, you can't loose for 20 minutes.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

mqarcus

Postby mqarcus » Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:27 pm UTC

I have a terrible sleeping pattern, unhealthy too.
I just can't sleep more than three and a half hours a night, and that is after (lately) drinking myself to sleep. So, I go to bed about 3 or 4 and wake up at 6-7.

dagron

Postby dagron » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:55 pm UTC

I naturally fall into about a 28 or so hour cycle. Sticking to a constant schedule to get up for work at 5:30am is fucking killing me.

wing
the /b/slayer

Postby wing » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:14 pm UTC

I can't do the cyclic thing. At all. Naturally, my body drifts to a FREAKING 36 HOUR CYCLE. Fully and wholly incompatible with this planet (I've often been told that I seem otherworldly. My natural cycle is the strongest corroborating evidence for this)

Instead, I find that I can keep things functional by sleeping and waking at random hours and offsets. Keepin' the body on it's toes, sorta.
I AM A SEXY, SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.

Owijad
1000 posts and still no title

Postby Owijad » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:23 pm UTC

I'm pretty well convinced that computers/video games/T.V. fuck up your sleep cycle hard. How do you bad-hours sleepers do when you don't have any sort of habitual electronic entertainment?
And if you win you get this shiny fiddle made of gold,
But if you lose, the devil gets your sould!

EvanED

Re: My sleep pattern

Postby EvanED » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:19 am UTC

CatProximity wrote:Also Castaway - The game doesn't work that way. After someone mentions the game, you can't loose for 20 minutes.

No, you can't loose it. ;-)

But the 20 minute rule? That's for wimps. ;-)

xooll

Postby xooll » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:41 am UTC

My circadian cycle really doesn't like changing, and prefers to be about 26 or even 27 hours long (at least, if there's something interesting to do at night). The only real way for me to change it is to zap it with sleep deprivation.

Re: the game, the way I've always played it is that you don't lose when someone else announces their loss until you stop thinking about it (which may take 20 minutes or 20 seconds).
So, I got tired of the fact that the appearance of my band name in my signature made my posts on this forum the dominant result when googling for my music. Anyway, if you think I might happen to be a good musician, you can test this theory here.

Nimz

Postby Nimz » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:56 am UTC

I have a weekly schedule, so when I wake up depends on the day of the week. Usually when I do end up going to bed it's 2-4 hours after I am exhausted. I guess that's where those dark circles under my eyes are from...

My uptimes:
Sunday: 5:00 to >1:00
Monday: 7:00 to >2:00
Tuesday: 7:00 to >2:00
Wednesday: 9-10:00 to >3:00 (work starts at 13:00)
Thursday: 7:00 to ~23:00
Friday: 5:00 to >1:00
Saturday: 10:00 to ~0:00

But then, sometimes my alarm doesn't wake me up on Monday and my boss gets a bit upset... When I have less than 4 hours to sleep I'll often sleep on the floor on the side of my room opposite my alarm clock. That usually helps. Electronic diversions help to keep me awake, but if I pick up a good book, that can be just as bad or worse.

/me is the game-challenged
LOWA

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:23 am UTC

This may or may not apply to anyone here, but people who say they "naturally" have a long cycle but also frequently consume those hideous energy drinks of which PC gamers are so fond really irritate me.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

I Zimbra

Postby I Zimbra » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:16 am UTC

My sleep schedule usually runs like 4-5 hours a night for 6 nights and then a 10 hour stretch on the 7th to balance it out. I recently quit smoking, so now I'm down to like 3-4 hours during the week and 8 on the weekends (if I'm lucky). I'm hoping that passes.
Unfortunately my insurance won't cover prescription sleep meds, and the otc stuff gives me terrible stomachaches. I've tried melatonin, but it only seems to work for a couple of days at a time before I build up a resistance. I've tried deep breathing, guided meditation, calming music (The Art of Fugue seems to work a little), and different sleep positions and surfaces.

For a while I thought I was like Thomas Edison and only needed a couple of hours of sleep a night. Now I just think I'm insane.
Take your play seriously

TheKhakinator
the next small girl on KRNT radio

Postby TheKhakinator » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:16 am UTC

Bakemaster wrote:This may or may not apply to anyone here, but people who say they "naturally" have a long cycle but also frequently consume those hideous energy drinks of which PC gamers are so fond really irritate me.

People who constantly drink energy drinks and/or talk about how many energy drinks they've drank piss the FUCK out of me.

Dark Ragnarok

Postby Dark Ragnarok » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:19 am UTC

5-7 am till 1-2 pm every day nowadays.

wing
the /b/slayer

Postby wing » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:20 am UTC

Bakemaster wrote:This may or may not apply to anyone here, but people who say they "naturally" have a long cycle but also frequently consume those hideous energy drinks of which PC gamers are so fond really irritate me.
I drink energy drinks, but irregularly. Only when I'm feeling dragass and need a kick to make it through something (like programming. or the drive home. or a party.)
I AM A SEXY, SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.

Spot

How should one go about fixing one's sleep schedule?

Postby Spot » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:51 am UTC

Well, I have been staying up very late lately (2-3am the whole summer), and because of this, I have been waking up in the afternoon which is no fun for me. It is almost 3:45 right now, and I am trying to decide whether I should just stay awake and commit to an all-nighter, or go to bed and get 2-5 hours of sleep.
The problem with setting my alarm and going to bed is that I usually can't find the strength to get up in the morning if I'm still sleepy; the problem with an all-nighter is that I am unsure if I can make it.

It's likely that I will find myself staying up late again in the future, so I would like to know if you guys have any techniques for getting one's sleep schedule back to normal.

Also, let's come up with another term for staying up all night. "All-nighter" seems a bit overused.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:58 am UTC

Pull an all-nighter.

Edit: They're easy if you're playing games or something.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Emmaskillz

Postby Emmaskillz » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:01 am UTC

Yeah I agree, an all-nighter (for lack of a better word) is the fastest way to adjust your sleeping pattern I think. It would take a while if you just tried to go to bed earlier each night or soemthing.

__Kit

Postby __Kit » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:02 am UTC

The little nerd inside me says all-nighter.

I say when the hell did I eat a nerd?

Yeah definitely all-nighter the only other alternative is slowly going to be 10-30 mins. earlier each night, which is sucky.
=]

Beetlesworth

Postby Beetlesworth » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:05 am UTC

I have this problem quite a bit as well, I end up staying awake into the early hours of the morning and then not waking up until the early afternoon if left to my own devices. Being addicted to video games ftw. >_>

The way I usually fix this is either to physically force myself to go to bed earlier each night, i.e. been staying up until 4AM for 3 nights in a row, go to sleep at 2AM tonight, maybe half one the next and so on. Although the way i fixed it for going on holiday this last week was to just do loads of exercise in the day and by about 11PM i was feeling far too sleepy to stay up any later.

stuck
The Sandwichsmith of Legend

Postby stuck » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:16 am UTC

All nighters have the bonus of being awesomely wicked cool, too ;-)
Belial wrote:You, my friend, are my new fucking hero

Spot

Postby Spot » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:16 am UTC

Alright thanks everyone, an all-nighter it is :D
I haven't yawned yet so that's good. I have a question though. Should I only attempt this if I have caffeine handy? Because I don't.
Just to give you a bit of additional information: I woke up about 14 hours ago, I sleep for 12 hours if I don't set an alarm, I have a few video games I could use to keep me occupied while the moon is out, and I plan on going biking tomorrow (as much as possible).

Also, while we're on the subject, on my To Do list I wrote "find out if exercising right before bed is bad [when trying to fall asleep]". Does anyone know?

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:20 am UTC

You should be fine.

I don't drink Coffee or anything with decently high caffeine content in it because the last time I did, which was quite a while ago, my heart started beating like I had just ran a marathon.

If you can keep warm and have a game keep your interest then it shouldn't be too hard. It's if you're really cold and bored that you really really really want to goto sleep.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Spot

Postby Spot » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:25 am UTC

Gelsamel wrote:You should be fine.

I don't drink Coffee or anything with decently high caffeine content in it because the last time I did, which was quite a while ago, my heart started beating like I had just ran a marathon.

If you can keep warm and have a game keep your interest then it shouldn't be too hard. It's if you're really cold and bored that you really really really want to goto sleep.

Oh, I had always thought that if one was cold, one was less likely to get sleepy. That's why I took my clothes off and turned the fan on. Maybe it's just different for different people though.
Also, does TV work as well as video games? Because I have a ton of stuff recorded.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:26 am UTC

Yeah, anything to keep your interest. Recordings = Good because late night tv sucks (at least where I am).
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

zenten

Postby zenten » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:53 am UTC

*Don't* drink caffeine, it will just screw you up.

And I say the really important thing is when you wake up. And once you're tired, go to bed at an appropriate hour.

ChooChoo

Postby ChooChoo » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:00 pm UTC

World of Warcraft can screw the hell out of your sleep schedule.

I've been staying up until 5 am and waking up at 3 pm lately, and not even because I have things to do at night, but because when I try to sleep I have too many things on my mind.

Not even important things, either. Just thoughts that drift in and stay for a while and make it so I can't sleep. Pain relief PM used to work, but it's starting to not.

Anyone developed an invention that shuts off the brain for at least 8 hours yet?

That is, without causing some kind of brain damage?

Irreversible brain damage that is; reversible brain damage is fine with me.

kilgore trout

Postby kilgore trout » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:04 pm UTC

Don't exercise 2-3 hours before the time you want to go to sleep, your body is too revved up.

I don't prefer pulling all nighters since I feel so shitty when I do. When I am trying to reset my sleep schedule I don't worry about when I go to bed, I just go to bed when I am sleepy, but I make sure I get up at the same time every morning.

Also, I find that I am more tired if I sleep more than 8 hours. While I probably could sleep 12 hours straight given the option, I would feel much worse the rest of the day compared to only sleeping 7-8 hours.

Even though you sound like you don't have insomnia, just bad sleep habits, the advice offered to insomniacs about sleep schedules could really benefit you. I'll let you google for yourself.

ChooChoo

Postby ChooChoo » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:10 pm UTC

Supposedly milk is supposed to help.

I'ma try that, and it's off to try again.

I should set my alarm early or something.

Spot

Postby Spot » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:23 pm UTC

What about the temperature thing? Am I better off keeping cool or keeping warm?
Also, why do my teeth hurt when I stay up late?

kilgore trout

Postby kilgore trout » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:40 pm UTC

I always thought cooler temps were better for sleeping, but I don't have any idea if this is just opinion or fact.

As to why your teeth hurt, um, don't know. I've never heard of teeth hurting from staying up late.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:33 pm UTC

I'm pretty sure that being cold makes your more tired, it also makes the warm of the bed more appealing.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

MasterYeats

Postby MasterYeats » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:38 pm UTC

Just take a sedative at 9pm.
'Teach me half the gladness
That thy brain must know,
Such harmonious madness
From my lips would flow
The world should listen then — as I am listening now.'
- To A Skylark, Shelley

Memo

Postby Memo » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:52 pm UTC

Spot wrote:What about the temperature thing? Am I better off keeping cool or keeping warm?
Also, why do my teeth hurt when I stay up late?

My teeth hurt too. I'm guessing that it's because I slowly start clenching my teeth only to notice hours later that I've been doing it. It doesn't happen everytime, but it happens regularly enough to link it to staying up very late and allnighters.

EDIT: It's like bruxism but awake.

Spot

Postby Spot » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:33 pm UTC

Hmm. Does anyone else sort of lose their sense of yesterday/day before yesterday when they stay up all night?

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:37 pm UTC

My sense of day is completely defined by when I sleep. If I take a nap in the middle of the day, everything before the nap was "yesterday".

If I stay up three days straight, the whole weekend was "today". (Well, until the last hour or so, when the whole weekend was "Very blue, thanks, except for the seven hours of muffin skates")
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:49 pm UTC

First thing: The only (real) solution to the original problem is all nighter, and that must be made perfectly clear. TV does not work as well as video games, but it does still work. Lan parties are ideal, any other type of party should work if you dont get too wasted.

I like staying up all night, my only problem is that I find that when I do, my reflexes are slower, therefore playing piano is harder. Then again, its alot easier to relax while playing piano and go slowly (I have a habit of going *WAY* too fast. You know that ben folds song "Philosophy"? I usually try playing the intro about 25% faster than its meant to be [and screw up alot]) so it all evens out. particularly since when I'm half asleep I dont really care so much about messing up.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

Return to “General”