not owning an ipod?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Flying Betty

Re: not owning an ipod?

Postby Flying Betty » Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:31 pm UTC

Col. Mustard wrote:I only have an iPod because my father works as a truck driver for a local sanitation company, and he found a 4th generation 20gb one in the trash still in the box with all the cords. It actually works, but recently it was in a house fire and survived with only minor cosmetic damage.

Clearly it's a zombie. Keep your eye on that one.

I have a cheapy 2 gig Sansa player. It works incredibly well for what I use it for, which is essentially nothing. I like the concept of having an mp3 player but I really can't stand headphones which kind of defeats the purpose.
Belial wrote:The future is here, and it is cyberpunk as hell.

DesperatMezures

Postby DesperatMezures » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:05 pm UTC

I'd like to throw in my two cents in support of the zune.

I have a zune 30 from December of two years ago, given the choice of an iPod and a zune. I picked the zune on the basis of it not having a clickwheel, because I just could never get used to using one accurately, and I heard they're nigh impossible to use when in a pocket or while gloved. The new firmware released with the release of the generation 2 zunes is pretty. The interface is really easy to navigate, but I think the touch controls on the new generation are a bit of a gimmick. They can be disabled if they don't fit your fancy, however. I think the D-pad controls get the job done well enough.

As for the comment about the zune software for your PC being a pile of junk, I would have to wholeheartedly agree. It looks pretty, but is slightly buggy at times, and could do with a few usability fixes. The original software, while being a simple reskin of Windows Media Player, was about as usable as Windows Media player, which was tons better than this software.

However, the experience on the device is wonderful, and wireless sync is pretty cool. Also, one thing of mention, the zune 30, the original zune from launch day, has a set of preset equalizers. The new zunes, 4, 8, and 80 all LACK equalizer settings of any sort. Just so you're informed, if it's a big deal to you.
OLEANA, PUT SOME JELJEL ON MY WUUD TO MAKE IT YOOJ SO I CAN GO BAVOOM!

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:49 pm UTC

Well, I no longer own an iPod.

Crap.

Zak

Postby Zak » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:53 pm UTC

If you don't need mega storage space, i would go with the iriver clix 2

It has a really cool interface.

If you need massive storage, or at least like, 30 gigs, you can get a creative zen with that much.
*waggles eyebrows*

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:00 pm UTC

Flying Betty wrote:I have a cheapy 2 gig Sansa player. It works incredibly well for what I use it for, which is essentially nothing. I like the concept of having an mp3 player but I really can't stand headphones which kind of defeats the purpose.

A lot of home stereos now come with an audio input for mp3 players. It requires a cable to connect from the headphone jack on your mp3 player to the line-in jack on the stereo. Some stereos have a line-in that will look similar to the microphone or headphone jack. Steer clear of these. For the most part, they don't put out a great sound quality.

You want to get a stereo with RC line-in stereo audio input. They tend to put out a better sound quality. You can buy adapter cables for less than $10 for that at Radio Shack or any other electronics store:

These tend to put out better sound quality than the headphone-like line-in jacks IMHO.

I have a pair of small Sony speakers that are built for portable devices like Walkmans, Discmans, and mp3 players that plug into the headphone jack. They don't put out the best sound in the world, but for what I use them for (at work), they work pretty well. You can find a pair at Wal-Mart for about $10.

There are player systems for mp3 players out there, but from what I've seen, most are built only for certain model players, mainly iPods. Not everyone has an iPod. Some of them claim to be capable of handling any mp3 player with a 16-pin connector, but not all of them have 16 pins. I think mine has 32 or so.
PRG

An important message for you:

drghost

Postby drghost » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:41 am UTC

Z.A.K wrote:If you don't need mega storage space, i would go with the iriver clix 2

It has a really cool interface.

If you need massive storage, or at least like, 30 gigs, you can get a creative zen with that much.

i was going to get a creative zen, but i had second thoughts when i heard about the "white screen" problem.

Zak

Postby Zak » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:46 am UTC

I havn't had a problem with mine yet.

Whats the white screen problem?
*waggles eyebrows*

drghost

Postby drghost » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:09 am UTC

how long have you had yours?

white screen problem

there are also a couple of threads on that at the creative forum.

Zak

Postby Zak » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:18 am UTC

Ive had it for a few months, no problems so far though.

If i do, whatever, i got it for christmas anyway.
*waggles eyebrows*

Noff

Postby Noff » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:28 am UTC

My Creative Zen microphoto has always served my needs, and has made it through numerous instances of blunt trauma and excessive moisture that it had no business surviving.

blind visionary

Postby blind visionary » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:33 pm UTC

I got a 16GB iPod touch with all my birfday money. I love the thing, and the fact that I got an xkcd quote engraved on the back makes it only more awesome.

d3adf001

Postby d3adf001 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:38 pm UTC

blind visionary wrote:only more awesome.

i think you mean more of a tool. i fail to see what i is so great about the touch, ipods, iphone or macbook airs

Can you stop insulting people for not sharing your exact opinion? Like right now?
Thanks.

TheTankengine

MoonBuggy

Postby MoonBuggy » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:01 pm UTC

They are small, with good overall attention to detail in the design and interface. Or, to paraphrase something which I've long since forgotten the origin of: "Apple, they tend to suck less than the competition."
Michael McClary, in alt.fusion, wrote:Irrigation of the land with sewater desalinated by fusion power is ancient. It's called 'rain'.

blind visionary

Postby blind visionary » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:47 pm UTC

MoonBuggy wrote:They are small, with good overall attention to detail in the design and interface. Or, to paraphrase something which I've long since forgotten the origin of: "Apple, they tend to suck less than the competition."

That's a great way to put it. A lot of people hate on Apple because they're popular. Not nearly as many people do because they genuinely don't like their products. It comes with the fame.

I happen to like that my touch can house the entirety of my humble music/photos collection along with a few movies, and a nicely sized screen to boot. The other functions are really nice too. It's nice being able to surf the web and check my email, and wifi networks are easy enough to find. Already on multiple occasions of getting lost driving somewhere, I've pulled over, found a wifi network, and pulled up directions. As for the price, I didn't really pay for it, so it's not an issue.

Pirate.Bondage

Postby Pirate.Bondage » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:48 pm UTC

I got one for my birthday a few years ago but didn't use it much, and never really knew what the fuss was all about. Then it died like a month ago. They're crap.
Life is beautiful.
Spoiler:
Irrefutable wrote:you are so lovely

emceng wrote:Then the sausage says, "I have 1 kid, and raging genital herpes." Get the fuck away from me sausage!!!

sje46 wrote:Do... do you want to marry me?

someguy

Postby someguy » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:38 am UTC

I won one of these cheapies at an end-of-year raffle at work:

They're OK, I guess—hardly the last word in fidelity but then I don't expect über-fi from a portable player.
aleflamedyud wrote:Plenty of people have confidence without any base of actual virtue or accomplishment beneath it. We call these people "douchebags".

Zak

Postby Zak » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:39 am UTC

I like anything that doesn't involve touch-screen. It just messes me up.
*waggles eyebrows*

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:17 am UTC

Re: Size...
I figure you get used to different size limitations in different ways. I originally figured I wouldn't use more than 8GB, but I got a 30GB anyway and figured, while I'm at it, I may as well download everything off OC Remix, and go through all my old albums and rip every song I really like. Between those two and what I already had, I filled up 17GB in no time.

Though, if I had an 8GB, I might do the same thing, but just load a subset of songs and change it up now and then.

All depends on how you intend on using it, though. But I'm definitely satisfied. KF
~Kizyr

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:38 am UTC

someguy wrote:I won one of these cheapies at an end-of-year raffle at work:

They're OK, I guess—hardly the last word in fidelity but then I don't expect über-fi from a portable player.

That's what I have! At least a 128Mb one. I won mine from a stacker machine rather than a raffle.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

Little Richie

Postby Little Richie » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:04 am UTC

A Zen vision M,

in my opinion, apple, ipod and all related, are of the utmost, crap. Apple decides to sell an underachieving item, markiting them to mainly the people who dont know any better, the idea forms that ipod is the only music player out there. So Apple sends another order off to china to develpo another low quality easaly destroyable item, that dosent match the standerds for other componies that sell products that outshow and well pwn the others, at an inexpensive price.

One thing Apple did right, but i will not use, is sell music online, the record componies OWNED the buisness, but they would not go digital, if olny.

Just my badly spelled bit.

-Little Richie
With man gone, will there be hope for gorilla?
Check out my blog, my mission to save the world.

MoonBuggy

Postby MoonBuggy » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:36 pm UTC

As you can (hopefully) see from my post above, I'm not some kind of rabid fanboy, but after judging the competition on its relative merits I have (so far) found that the iPod looks to fit my needs best. I'd really appreciate hearing what about the iPod you dislike so much (and I'm talking largely about the device itself, not about any associated image or marketing) because at the end of the day all I care about is getting the best music player for my needs (and because random opinions without any backup irritate me).
Michael McClary, in alt.fusion, wrote:Irrigation of the land with sewater desalinated by fusion power is ancient. It's called 'rain'.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:52 pm UTC

Little Richie wrote: low quality easaly destroyable item,

-Little Richie

You clearly never bothered to look up stress tests where a Nano still worked fine after being dropped, run over with a car, dragged behind said car, and finally stopped after being thrown 40 feet in the air and landing on concrete. Similar things have been done with an iPhone, that was still able to play music in shuffle mode and answer calls. Have your opinions, but "low quality easily destroyable" are not accurate.

Also, thank you for signing your post since I am unable to look to the left of it.

d3adf001

Postby d3adf001 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:40 pm UTC

i have over 25gigs of music and my 8 gig player does fine.

MFHodge

Postby MFHodge » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:41 pm UTC

Little Richie wrote:A Zen vision M,

in my opinion, apple, ipod and all related, are of the utmost, crap. Apple decides to sell an underachieving item, markiting them to mainly the people who dont know any better, the idea forms that ipod is the only music player out there. So Apple sends another order off to china to develpo another low quality easaly destroyable item, that dosent match the standerds for other componies that sell products that outshow and well pwn the others, at an inexpensive price.

One thing Apple did right, but i will not use, is sell music online, the record componies OWNED the buisness, but they would not go digital, if olny.

Just my badly spelled bit.

-Little Richie

You are not commenting on a YouTube video here. A little more effort is expected in this forum.

Fat Tony

Postby Fat Tony » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:25 pm UTC

I'm extremely biased against Apple, and wouldn't get an iPod if it were the best product out there. I have my reasons, but I'll rant about it later.
I have a Creative Zen Wav 4GB.
Wanna hear the truth? Life is downright ok.

Anpheus
I can't get any worse, can I?

Postby Anpheus » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:42 pm UTC

Some guy's iphone was recently run over by a semi and though the touch sensitivity screen isn't fully working, the phone looks like crap, it still makes, receives calls, can play music and access all of his apps.
Spoiler:

Code: Select all

/###\_________/###\
  |#################|
  \#################/
   |##┌         ┐##|
   |##  (¯`v´¯)  ##|
   |##  `\ ♥ /´  ##|
   |##   `\¸/´   ##|
   |##└         ┘##|
  /#################\
  |#################|
  \###/¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯\###/

d3adf001

Postby d3adf001 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:13 pm UTC

can some mod close this thread since its no longer about other products?

Anpheus

Postby Anpheus » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:17 pm UTC

No, just because you hate Apple, and I hate the cult of Apple as much as any slashdot nerd, doesn't mean we should stop our discussion.

You've been rude in the past about why you don't like Apple products, so, why? They build a solid product with a good design.
Spoiler:

/###\_________/###\
  |#################|
  \#################/
   |##┌         ┐##|
   |##  (¯`v´¯)  ##|
   |##  `\ ♥ /´  ##|
   |##   `\¸/´   ##|
   |##└         ┘##|
  /#################\
  |#################|
  \###/¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯\###/

d3adf001

Postby d3adf001 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:37 pm UTC

Anpheus wrote:They build a solid product with a good design.

i fail to see how 3 ipods in 5 years is a good product. One of them died less than 2 weeks after the warranty expired. My sister has had 2 die in 4 years, my friend had 1 just over a year and a 1/2 and the screen turned purple and he sold it on ebay. 300$ every 18 months isnt good quality. on a side note tho i do like the wheel thing. the sansas side lay out is slightly annoying. they make make "good" products but you are going to pay out the ass for them. like the mack book air. isnt it great to have no media drive OR ethernet jack?

Anpheus

Postby Anpheus » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:44 pm UTC

We're not arguing about the MacBook Air, which I do agree with you on the limited ports. It's not designed for a heavy lifting though (pun intended.) When you buy a MacBook Air, you're buying exclusivity and portability. Now, you can say that it's a terrible product, but just by saying that you're saying, "Yes, this product is not marketed to me, so my opinion does not matter." If you do like the MacBook Air, then you are one of their potential customers already, and that's where the advertisements will appeal to you. I don't like the MacBook Air because I don't need or want something like that, I have a Lenovo X60 Tablet with Wacom technology built in. It's awesome. MacBook Air? A multi-touch scroll thinger? Pshaw. My Lenovo has a clit-nub.

So, you had some Apple products go bad on you, that's unfortunate. Do you treat your devices well? Because I've met people who say they do but don't realize how much more clumsy they are being with them than others. Since using an iPod did you switch to a flash memory based media player? If so, that's probably why they're more reliable: no moving parts means it's harder for clumsy people (like me) to break. I am extremely careful but even I admit that I am far, far worse than average dexterity. My iPhone has a few nicks on the back side, the glass, curiously, really is scratch resistant. Because it's still brand new looking.

Also, if you're clumsy, and it could be possible that you're clumsy and you don't know it, buy an extended warranty. No, not the Best Buy we'll-fleece-you-for-all-your-worth warranty, but a manufacturer's extended warranty. I believe Apple sells something called AppleCare (I've never bought it) for extending your warranty. I will probably buy a 1 year extension before my iPhone's runs out, though... I don't know if AT&T covers it afterward. I'll have to look it up.
Spoiler:

/###\_________/###\
  |#################|
  \#################/
   |##┌         ┐##|
   |##  (¯`v´¯)  ##|
   |##  `\ ♥ /´  ##|
   |##   `\¸/´   ##|
   |##└         ┘##|
  /#################\
  |#################|
  \###/¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯\###/

d3adf001

Postby d3adf001 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:59 pm UTC

im pretty good on my eletronics. but the first death had nothing to do with the hard drive just stopped turning on, the 2nd the audio jack broke but i could plug it in and it would work. they 3rd on that lasted me a wopping 2 years diskhead crashed. ya i went over to flash, but my laptop is 3 years old and works fine. never had a problem with it except when my roommate broke the screen on it and then toshiba stole all but 3 case screws when fixing it.

Anpheus

Postby Anpheus » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:01 am UTC

The audio jack broke and you're saying the iPod is a crappy product?

Anyway, your storytelling has made me believe my guess was right: you're worse with your products than you think.
Spoiler:

/###\_________/###\
  |#################|
  \#################/
   |##┌         ┐##|
   |##  (¯`v´¯)  ##|
   |##  `\ ♥ /´  ##|
   |##   `\¸/´   ##|
   |##└         ┘##|
  /#################\
  |#################|
  \###/¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯\###/

Popidge

Postby Popidge » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:19 am UTC

iPods, never saw the "woooow" factor to them...
Just another mp3 player..

I use my Phone (Sony Ericsson w810i) with a 4GB mem card (picked it up for about £17), which does me perfectly, so i don't have to carry around a multitude of gadgets. And i have a cheap USB memory card reader, so sticking tunes on it isn't too hard at all. Limited range of supported audio formats gets me down sometimes, but i have all my music in mp3 anyway, so it's not much of a big issue.

I also have a 512MB Samsung YP-U2, which i must say was the BEST flash-drive style player i have ever used. Clear screen, great sound, suported tons of audio formats (if i could be arsed to transcode my music collection to Vorbis, that is), nice and little, great battery life, and very reliable. Don't use it anymore though, not since i got the aformentioned SE phne.
http://popidge.co.uk
Where you can read stuff that, quite frankly, you probably don't care about.

d3adf001

Postby d3adf001 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:37 am UTC

Anpheus wrote:The audio jack broke and you're saying the iPod is a crappy product?

Anyway, your storytelling has made me believe my guess was right: you're worse with your products than you think.

i fail to see how its not ipods fault. thats like saying oh your transmission died after 20k miles and its not fords fault.

Nimz

Postby Nimz » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:55 am UTC

I have a portable music player. It's called a truck. AM/FM and CD player. Yeah, I'm really keeping up with the Joneses. I also have a boombox, but the cassette player part broke. The CD player on it still works, and the majority of my music collection is on CD anyway. If my music collection ever grew to more than 24 hours, I might put some serious thought into getting a portable music player that, you know, could fit into my pocket or something like that.

Sometimes I just use my CD collection as a backup to FM - e.g. when all my preset stations are playing commercials, I can just play a CD.
LOWA

Ruins

Postby Ruins » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:51 am UTC

This discussion is beginning to remind me of the Maddox IPhone and Apple articles...
http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=iphone
http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=macs_cant

I have issues with apple for a variety of reasons, but mainly because I know what I am doing most of the time and I hate their babysitting approach with most products. I never got any of their mp3 players because of non-replaceable batteries, high cost and crappy audio quality. Never got into iTunes because it reminds me of RealPlayer. Don't like their advertising because it sells the style of their products more than the substance. And while I think they do great things with user interfaces, the lack of support for open source and non-apple software (say rockbox) puts me off.

On a side note, any one like me hoping for a large capacity mp3 player with the following features?
- FLAC, ogg support
- Gapless playback
- Replaygain support
- Parametric Equalizer
- Good sound quality and low hiss when you plug in some decent Canal headphones

I would really shell out some cash for something that has the above. So far, I am settling for a rockboxed Cowon X5L, but I am starting to run out of space...
Nothing is new, we just forget the old - me after doing my literature review

Anpheus

Postby Anpheus » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:11 am UTC

d3adf001 wrote:
Anpheus wrote:The audio jack broke and you're saying the iPod is a crappy product?

i fail to see how its not ipods fault. thats like saying oh your transmission died after 20k miles and its not fords fault.

Uh, or you broke it. I've broken 3.5mm jacks before and if you mishandle them they break really, really easily. But I don't call the my xbox 360 a shitty product just because my headset jack broke off, I do think I'm a bit of a jackass for pulling on the mic to pick it up, and I totally deserved it breaking. *shrug* I don't tend to blame products for my mistakes though.

Anyhow, if you broke it within a year of purchase you get a free one, just like if your transmission dies within however many miles you get a free one. Hurray warranty, eh? But if you treat either your transmission or your ipods like crap, you can't blame it on the manufacturer.

Sheesh, I don't blame my coworkers for having spyware on their computer and that making their computer go slow. I blame Microsoft, a little, and them, a lot.
Spoiler:

/###\_________/###\
  |#################|
  \#################/
   |##┌         ┐##|
   |##  (¯`v´¯)  ##|
   |##  `\ ♥ /´  ##|
   |##   `\¸/´   ##|
   |##└         ┘##|
  /#################\
  |#################|
  \###/¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯\###/

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:46 pm UTC

d3adf001 wrote:

Did Ford make the transmission? I'm sure Apple doesn't make their own audio jacks. Apple is *responsible* for it, but it's necessarily their fault that it broke.

Anpheus

Postby Anpheus » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:19 pm UTC

Endless Mike wrote:
d3adf001 wrote:

Did Ford make the transmission? I'm sure Apple doesn't make their own audio jacks. Apple is *responsible* for it, but it's necessarily their fault that it broke.

I think in hindsight I shouldn't have fed a troll, and it certainly seems like he just has an irrational hate for Apple. Some people just hate certain companies for little reason. I don't think it's worth bothering, Mike, is all I'm saying. I'm out of the discussion for now at least.
Spoiler:

/###\_________/###\
  |#################|
  \#################/
   |##┌         ┐##|
   |##  (¯`v´¯)  ##|
   |##  `\ ♥ /´  ##|
   |##   `\¸/´   ##|
   |##└         ┘##|
  /#################\
  |#################|
  \###/¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯\###/

chaosspawn

Postby chaosspawn » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:04 pm UTC

I've got an iRiver H320. It was out for a year before I got it, and the price had dropped considerably so I found it a to be a really good deal. It actually supports video playback, and a good half dozen audio formats. I've currently got rockbox running on it which I find actually works a bit faster than the original OS. It's a rather large player compared to today's tiny models, but it continues to serve me well, and it seems like I've got a while to go before it gives out. Though it seems recently I've found myself using it as a portable hard drive quite often.

Re: Apple Hate
I have a bias against apple. I'm pinning it to an old Apple commercial which had people who basically said "I know nothing about computers, thus Apple is the brand for me". I prefer to imagine myself as someone who does know computers, thus then and there I decided Apple was not the brand for me, and it pretty much has stuck with me. I don't doubt that I'd get along just fine using a Mac computer, but I will avoid it given the choice. It's nothing on the technical side really, just the brand image which has put me off. Though with their gadgets I'm much more open to. I actually had an iPod mini back in the day and thought it to be near the ideal mp3 player, I was sad once it got discontinued. Also the iPhone interface is pretty damn neat, and functions pretty intuitively. I'd probably consider it if I didn't need a contract plan to actually use it.
This space intentionally left blank.

Return to “General”