What exactly does walking do to cure cancer?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Syntax

What exactly does walking do to cure cancer?

Postby Syntax » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:35 pm UTC

I'm going to give humanity the benefit of the doubt and assume I'm terribly wrong when I deduce that a system in which people are obligated to carry out pointless activities(like walking around in circles) in order to "raise" money has come into vogue. Could someone please explain this concept to me? Because other than making Dannon's profits go up, I really don't see what peeling off foil yogurt-tops does for "the cause". I must be missing something...

Solt

Re: What exactly does walking do to cure cancer?

Postby Solt » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:41 pm UTC

The various company promotions get them to give money to the cause while (hopefully) making more money through the publicity. It's really win-win for all parties involved.
"Welding was faster, cheaper and, in theory,
produced a more reliable product. But sailors do
not float on theory, and the welded tankers had a
most annoying habit of splitting in two."
-J.W. Morris

silverwmoon

Postby silverwmoon » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:48 pm UTC

Solt wrote:The various company promotions get them to give money to the cause while (hopefully) making more money through the publicity. It's really win-win for all parties involved.

Agreed, especially the walk in circles ones. It's healthy.
So for instance, a Walk for Cancer promotes a healthy lifestyle while raising money to aid those who are sick. It makes even more sense if it's a walk to raise money for something like the Heart and Stroke Foundation.

Lycur

Postby Lycur » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:03 am UTC

Thought process: People do social things. People do charitable things. Hey, we can merge those two!

The social aspect doesn't really relate to the charitable aspect, but does it really need to?

++$_
Mo' Money

Postby ++$_ » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:56 am UTC

I think it goes like this:

Dude: Hey, Large Company. I was thinking that it would be really nice of you to donate a lot of money to cancer research.
Large Company: Could you just clarify what "nice" means? We've never heard that word before.
D: Is that a no?
LC: Right first time.
D: Well, I have another idea. Would you like to sponsor a sporting event?
LC: This means that we'll be able to put ads there, right?
D: Yes. And even better, it will be tax deductible for you.
LC: Ooh!
D: So you agree?
LC: Yeah, sure. How much money do you want? Would you like some stock options as well?
D: By the way, I should probably tell you that no one is going to look at the ads, really.
LC: That's fine. No one does anyway.

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:52 am UTC

Also the raising of the awareness. Just look how it brought the plight of the whatever charity under, for example, the OP's attention. I'm not saying it influenced hir (or your average person) to do anything about it, but they are more aware.

I have friends who do charity runs and other similar (incomprehendable to me) things and I sponsor them (thus not feeling obliged to actually participate, win!) and it makes me and them more aware of the issue, which will hopefully have an accumalative effect over time as more of these events get publicised of more people donating regularly to these charities for curing-kinda research or looking at their lifestyles to avoid the illness in question? Maybe?

This post suffers from unwieldy and dangerously long sentences. I apologise. I should still be asleep.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

joeframbach

Postby joeframbach » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:13 pm UTC

I always thought walks and runs are preferred because a healthier lifestyle -> less time on meds/hospitalized -> money saved in med profession -> more money spent on research

Return to “General”