Optastic! - Glasses, Contact, and Your Crappy Vision

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Flying Betty

Optastic! - Glasses, Contact, and Your Crappy Vision

Postby Flying Betty » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:45 am UTC

Changing topics again, has anyone ever had experience with the super cheap online glasses places like Zenni?

I just got new glasses, of course, but I'm intrigued by this concept and I happen to have some disposable income. I'm thinking of going for it with a pair of sunglasses, especially since my contacts have been pissing me off lately.
Belial wrote:The future is here, and it is cyberpunk as hell.

lamarguerite

Re: Woman thread - Is it as good for you as it is for me?

Postby lamarguerite » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:48 am UTC

Contacts piss me off so much. It's partly because I have hard contacts, but still. They're pretty painful.

Glasses are much preferred. I think I'm getting new ones soon, which is even better.

IronyandParadox

Postby IronyandParadox » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:08 am UTC

Hmm. No, I've never gotten glasses from there, but it looks interesting. I'd be a little wary of getting glasses from a place without trying them on first, since I'm a bit picky about how they look on. Still, that's really cheap, for glasses. So, yes! Buy to your heart's content.

I hate contacts. They ought to go die. Really, who wants to shove pieces of plastic in your eyes and leave them floating on your eyeball? Especially hard contacts, which feel more like HOCKEY PUCKS?
Yup. I only wear contacts on Christmas, Easter, and for performances, because my mother commands it.
Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit.

lorenith

Postby lorenith » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:59 am UTC

IronyandParadox wrote:Yup. I only wear contacts on Christmas, Easter, and for performances, because my mother commands it.

:?

Have you told her she smells funny recently? Cause that really stinks.

Mystify

Postby Mystify » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:31 am UTC

IronyandParadox wrote:Yup. I only wear contacts on Christmas, Easter, and for performances, because my mother commands it.

Get a pair of really obvious cosmetic coloured contacts. Blood red demon eyes or something, then your mother will demand you take them out.

M
You're eternally wild with the power
To make every moment come alive

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:48 am UTC

Quixotess wrote:At what point should I start getting concerned and call a doctor?
If it were me, a week or so ago?

Re contacts:
IronyandParadox wrote:Really, who wants to shove pieces of plastic in your eyes and leave them floating on your eyeball?
An already painfully self-conscious, overweight, unpopular 16-year old girl who has been wearing glasses since she was 10, complete with labels and name-calling? Whose eyes are the only redeeming feature on her face, I might add. Me, as a teen, in other words. I loved them until I had laser surgery (oh dear am I going to get lectured now?). By a very very good opthalmologist. For almost a decade now with no ill side effects and the approval of every optomatrist I go to for checkups.

Mystify wrote:Get a pair of really obvious cosmetic coloured contacts. Blood red demon eyes or something, then your mother will demand you take them out.
What, like these?
Spoiler:
Me, as a ghost at halloween.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

Mystify

Postby Mystify » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:50 am UTC

Yes, I think they'd do the trick a charm.

M
You're eternally wild with the power
To make every moment come alive

liza
It's teatime somewhere

Postby liza » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:25 am UTC

Moo wrote:An already painfully self-conscious, overweight, unpopular 16-year old girl who has been wearing glasses since she was 10, complete with labels and name-calling? Whose eyes are the only redeeming feature on her face, I might add.

What? You don't even know me!
Oh, you. Okay then.
Actually, I got my glasses when I was eight and I was scary-skinny at sixteen, but other than that? Spot on.
I love my contacts when my eyes aren't drying out (which has been my plight as of late). I look nicer without glasses, there's no glare, I can put a pencil behind my ear when need be (ugh bad habit), and best of all, there is no metal-and-glass seeing apparatus appended to my face - lovely for a lady who is clumsy and likely to knock such a fragile apparatus off her face and break it.
Felstaff wrote:
Okita wrote:"What are you up to?"

"Attempting to save the free world and preserve Democracy...without Liza"
But...But [that would] just be announcing you're definitely about to fail.

Aluminus

Postby Aluminus » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:21 pm UTC

My glasses are made of memory metal. They hug my head. You can sit on them and they spring back into shape. But they were a few hundred dollars more than most people will spend on a pair of glasses, so it's not an option for everybody. I've been wearing glasses since I was about 13.
fyrenwater wrote:Oh dear God, I just imagined this horrible scenario of a psychotic non-people-person running around, trying to steal the people-person section of people-peoples' brains to implant into their own brain.

El Senor Fruit Swing

Postby El Senor Fruit Swing » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:25 pm UTC

Mystify wrote:Yes, I think they'd do the trick a charm.

M

Your icon.
IT SCARES ME
..On topic most men find glasses attractive
Raiku wrote: Oh, I 'Falcon Punched' a tree for the hell of it, and it's still quite bloody...

MoonBuggy

Postby MoonBuggy » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:34 pm UTC

I quite like being able to switch to contacts when I feel like it, but why the fuck does it cost less than half the price to import lenses from the US (seriously, 50% off at least even after factoring in shipping and taxes) than to just buy them here (UK). Same product, from the same factory :x
Michael McClary, in alt.fusion, wrote:Irrigation of the land with sewater desalinated by fusion power is ancient. It's called 'rain'.

The Spherical Cow

Postby The Spherical Cow » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:39 pm UTC

MoonBuggy wrote:I quite like being able to switch to contacts when I feel like it, but why the fuck does it cost less than half the price to import lenses from the US (seriously, 50% off at least even after factoring in shipping and taxes) than to just buy them here (UK). Same product, from the same factory :x

What kind of lenses are you getting, and where from (as in, what store)? I suppose you can maybe justify it in the aftercare you might get here.

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:41 pm UTC

Moo wrote:An already painfully self-conscious, overweight, unpopular 16-year old girl who has been wearing glasses since she was 10, complete with labels and name-calling? Whose eyes are the only redeeming feature on her face, I might add.

This is totally me, too, although I discovered once my glasses were *gone* that there were other redeeming features on my face. And hey, even that it is an okay-looking face. So I like my contacts! Because they make me look sexy!

I don't like when they dry out, though. I have come to really like this stuff, though. I keep a little bottle of it in my bag at all times.
MotleyJesster (12:34:04 PM): Better than moping around being all "I do not need love, I have indie music and a wind instrument!"

MoonBuggy

Postby MoonBuggy » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:54 pm UTC

I've used daily (forget which brand) and Ciba Vision Night & Day extended wear (which are sold rebranded by Specsavers), and I buy them from lens.com - in fact I only found the site after Specsavers managed to misplace my prescription for about the third week running rather than just sending out my replacement lenses, so I just decided to go direct - the price difference was just the icing on the cake. I've just taken another look, actually - seems that the price gap on the extended wear has closed slightly ($85.95+postage & taxes, compared to £78 all in from Specsavers) but the dailies are the same as ever ($119.94+postage & taxes, compared to £88.50). Now I just get my eye tests and glasses from a nice, friendly (and more expensive, but with a gorgeous range of frames) local optician and buy the contact lenses for myself.
/rant

Sorry about that, but the whole 'rip off Britain' thing really gets on my nerves sometimes.
Michael McClary, in alt.fusion, wrote:Irrigation of the land with sewater desalinated by fusion power is ancient. It's called 'rain'.

Delalyra

Postby Delalyra » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:29 pm UTC

Why do people have hard contacts these days? I thought they went extinct years ago. o.o Mine are nice and soft and they show off my eyes, which are my best feature (like the rest of you, it seems... :P ). However, they've been fitting just a touch less well lately due to the pill; I have to go see if I can have anything done about that.
you may remember me from 2008 or 2009. I left for a while. I'm now sporadically back. I tumble here.

TizzyFoe

Postby TizzyFoe » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:38 pm UTC

the pill changes the shape/size of your eyes?! o.O
"My folks were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?"
"But existing is basically all I do!"

Delalyra

Postby Delalyra » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:08 pm UTC

Yeah. In the packet that comes with the pills they only say "side effect: difficulty wearing contacts", but I think it was in this thread that I learned that it was due to the level of estrogen, and the pill raises that, obviously. I guess my eyes are pretty womanly already, though, since I can still wear contacts fit to my pre-pill eyes. :wink:
you may remember me from 2008 or 2009. I left for a while. I'm now sporadically back. I tumble here.

hestia

Postby hestia » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:26 pm UTC

I wore contacts for a while but my fiance has a thing for girls in glasses and I think they make me look older. So yea, I switched and I have been fairly happy with them. The smudging does drive me a little nuts though. Looking older is a plus though, especially when you look about 5 years younger than you are and teach kids who are only 4-8 years younger than you.
A booster mom mistook me for a student once, I was pretty irritated. :x
"No! I do not need to be on the bus yet!" grrrr
NightStar wrote:
Chocceh wrote:Whatever way this thread turns out, Jesus is off-limits.

Tell that to Pontius Pilate.

bluebambue
An der schönen blauen Donau

Postby bluebambue » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:44 pm UTC

I love my contacts, my eyes never dry out, and they make my face look prettier.

El Senor Fruit Swing

Postby El Senor Fruit Swing » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:50 pm UTC

Your icon scares me..
It stares and growls.
Raiku wrote: Oh, I 'Falcon Punched' a tree for the hell of it, and it's still quite bloody...

Kithplana

Postby Kithplana » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:07 pm UTC

I like my contacts, even though I have fairly dry eyes. I can see a lot better with them (a fact that is not helped by the tiny little glasses I picked out), I like how I look with them, and they don't fog up if I'm wearing a dust mask.

Alasseo

Postby Alasseo » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:49 pm UTC

Losing glasses is much worse than losing contacts...and once you put them in, it's really hard to lose contacts. This is a plus for me.
Eruantale wrote:(I did... I've always wanted to get a Dudley Do-right out of a vending machine)

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:07 pm UTC

Ren wrote:So I like my contacts! Because they make me look sexy!

Glasses-loving guys everywhere shed silent tears for you, Ren.

Silent tears.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:07 pm UTC

That go "plip plop plop bloop plop" as they puddle on the ground.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:14 pm UTC

SILENT TEARS
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

shinybaby
In-Tents
Location: formerly Toronto, now London (Ontario)... anyone here??

Postby shinybaby » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:15 pm UTC

@ Ren: you look totally hawt in your glasses! of course, you look fabulous without them, too...

re: glasses v. contacts: i love my glasses, i think they actually make me look better! o.O something i never thought i'd say... i've been wearing (and hating) glasses since about Grade 1 and these are the first pair i've really loved. it's just as well, since i work in a lab and am not allowed to wear contacts.

having said all that, though. i love my contacts too... the convenience is just fabulous when i'm involved in any kind of sporting/physical activity. i love that they don't get all smudgy and that i can wear sunglasses, and that they don't slip down my nose.

so i alternate! :D
Gordon wrote:1) Meet Gordon
2) Deploy Gordon
3) ...
4) Profit!!!

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:15 pm UTC

plip plop plippity ploo?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Lycur

Postby Lycur » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:20 pm UTC

I've worn glasses for an average of 14 hours a day for 7 years and I've never had an issue with smudginess - although they are constantly fogging up. I've noticed my sister's glasses smudge like there's no tomorrow, perhaps this is a fem thing? Tres bizzare.

Also, with the sole exception of the slutty librarian look, I've never met a gal who didn't look better with glasses than without.

shorty

Postby shorty » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:26 pm UTC

I've been wearing contacts for about 5 years now, and I love them so much more than my glasses. I tend to look bad in all types of glasses expect ones with really small lenses, so I have much better all around vision with contacts. Has anyone else had a problem with sports or working out and glasses? That was the main reason I started wearing them, my glasses would always fall off my nose when I got sweaty.
moral of the story: for me contacts = love

shinybaby
In-Tents

Postby shinybaby » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:36 pm UTC

Lycur wrote:...I've noticed my sister's glasses smudge like there's no tomorrow, perhaps this is a fem thing? Tres bizzare...
maybe? i know i get wicked smudging from my eyelashes hitting my glasses... even without mascara, i end up with eyelash lines on the insides of my lenses.
2) Deploy Gordon
3) ...
4) Profit!!!

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:40 pm UTC

shinybaby wrote:@ Ren: you look totally hawt in your glasses! of course, you look fabulous without them, too...

Quoted for very yes.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Goatboy
may become less boring.

Postby Goatboy » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:47 pm UTC

I would like to briefly note, as a fellow, that my glasses smudge up pretty well. That's all.
I have nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.
And some old pictures.

Flying Betty

Postby Flying Betty » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:29 am UTC

My sister wears hard contacts because she has super wacky astigmatism that doesn't cooperate with soft contacts. Of course she's had nothing but trouble with them since she moved to Arizona.

I prefer the look and feel of contacts except when they hate me. And since I have to get up at 6:30, I find that I'm not nearly awake enough to have my contacts like me more often than not. Stupid sensitive eyes. Oddly enough, I seem to get better reception in glasses. I guess I look innately nerdy enough that the glasses just seem right at home or something. (LASIK seems tempting until I remember how much I hate the idea of surgery of any kind.)
Belial wrote:The future is here, and it is cyberpunk as hell.

Aluminus

Postby Aluminus » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:13 am UTC

I could never, ever wear contacts. Not a chance. I have a *thing* about putting stuff in my eyes. And eye sensitivity in general.
Confession: I even blink involuntarily every time I hear a loud noise, like a hammer hamming hitting something.
fyrenwater wrote:Oh dear God, I just imagined this horrible scenario of a psychotic non-people-person running around, trying to steal the people-person section of people-peoples' brains to implant into their own brain.

Kithplana

Postby Kithplana » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:18 am UTC

Aluminus wrote:Confession: I even blink involuntarily every time I hear a loud noise, like a hammer hamming hitting something.

I wasn't aware this was considered abnormal. I've always done that, even when I know exactly when a loud noise is coming.

Aluminus

Postby Aluminus » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:31 am UTC

No, I mean extreme blinking. Today, my maths professor almost dropped the blackboard eraser. I braced for impact. When I opened my eyes, he had already caught it. :| And because This post had objectionable content... contact lenses are just to close for comfort.

silverwmoon

Postby silverwmoon » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:03 am UTC

ouch >< I always get bad cramps =/

Oh and I wear my glasses most often, I do a lot of computer work so glasses tend to work better for me that way; I can take them off. However, I do look much better in contacts, but they're such a hassle; my eyes have a lot of protein in them so there's an extra wash I have to do that's rather annoying.

Smudging only really bothers me with I try to watch a movie, then it's pretty terrible. What about scratches?

shinybaby
In-Tents

Woman thread - Is it as good for you as it is for me?

Postby shinybaby » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:59 am UTC

silverwmoon wrote:ouch >< I always get bad cramps =/

Oh and I wear my glasses most often, I do a lot of computer work so glasses tend to work better for me that way; I can take them off. However, I do look much better in contacts, but they're such a hassle; my eyes have a lot of protein in them so there's an extra wash I have to do that's rather annoying.

Smudging only really bothers me with I try to watch a movie, then it's pretty terrible. What about scratches?
i don't usually have too much of a problem with scratches... but i got my lenses coated with something to make them more resistant...
2) Deploy Gordon
3) ...
4) Profit!!!

Mavketl
ELEPHANT MYSTICISM!

Postby Mavketl » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:07 pm UTC

shinybaby wrote:
silverwmoon wrote:ouch >< I always get bad cramps =/

i don't usually have too much of a problem with scratches... but i got my lenses coated with something to make them more resistant...

My glasses are just perpetually smudged, that way it stops being annoying / noticeable soon enough :P

I got that anti-scratch coating stuff too, a couple of years ago, and after 10 or so months it just started to come off :| Sooo that caused a lot more blurred vision than an occasional scratch would have. Fortunately the optician fixed the problem for free.
Not A Raptor: Mav can be a very wily and dangerous player.
roband: Mav has a way of making everything seem right.
ELEPHANT SCIENCE - MORE ELEPHANT SCIENCE
- NEW: Elephant Math!

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:38 pm UTC

I have some of the most horrible vision ever. It's in the 20/1000 range, but I still get to wear soft contacts. (YAY!)

Reasons I love my contacts:
I actually have peripheral vision! This means I don't have to be an owl and turn my head all the damn time.
Wearing glasses hurt my eyes more than wearing contacts. I think it has something to do with the lens being closer to the eye in the case of contacts.
I have 2 week contacts, so if I lose a pair, No Big Deal! I always carry around an extra pair with me, and then I can see again!
Physical Activity is much easier (although when I was first adjusting to contacts, it totally messed up my distance perception)
It makes my eyes look pretty?

I am going to be getting glasses this year though, just because.
Glasses:
Spoiler:

Sans Glasses:
Spoiler:
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?

I made this thing:
www.justthetipcalculator.com

Return to “General”