Preferred Clothing Brands

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

VectorZero

Re: Preferred Clothing Brands

Postby VectorZero » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:43 pm UTC

I started wearing decent brands/quality once I met my gf/wife (not a coincidence.) I do find a noticeable difference in the cut and quality of designer labels vs department store brands. However, I refuse to buy anything at retail price: hence my bank balance takes a hit around boxing day. Preferred brands? Aussie stuff mostly: Marcs, Satch, Saba. I do like some English brands (Paul Smith, Ted Baker, Ben Sherman) but can't justify the added expense - except for my wedding. Picked up a pair of Burberry Black Label jeans in japan which are very comfortable (and a lot cheaper than "real" Burberry.) There is a real improvement to the self-esteem from wearing clothes that look good on you.

To save my geek pride however, I never shave or iron :) And all my tshirts are from webcomics (xkcd, megatokyo, qc.) Cheap jocks too: no value there, especially now I'm married ;)
Van wrote:Fireballs don't lie.

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:48 pm UTC

I would think nice skivvies would be just as or even more important after you're married. Ladies like to see their mens tushies covered by stylish undies in good condition. No stained and torn tighty whities that have lost all their elastic, please.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

VectorZero

Postby VectorZero » Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:00 pm UTC

PictureSarah wrote:I would think nice skivvies would be just as or even more important after you're married. Ladies like to see their mens tushies covered by stylish undies in good condition. No stained and torn tighty whities that have lost all their elastic, please.

Heh. I kid, i kid.

To be honest, I don't understand the popularity of tighty whities anyway. I've never seen them advertised here; coloured briefs seem more popular.
BTW: in Australia, skivvie = turtleneck. (At least, where I grew up.)
Van wrote:Fireballs don't lie.

Fat Tony

Postby Fat Tony » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:15 pm UTC

I wear black George's pants for school everyday (we've got a dress code - single-colored, non-denim, non-white [not sure why] pants and a collared shirt with no large logo - essentially just dress like a prep...hence "prep school") and whatever collared shirts look good.
For human clothes, I wear Goldtoe socks and Levi's black jeans, and I think I'm going to be much more fond of my next batch of them, now that I've heard of turning them inside out and washing cold. I've been wearing my first pair of Vans (black, of course) for a while, and I think I'm gonna stick with that brand. For shirts, I just wear t-shirts; I plan on going shopping (over the tubes, obviously) for a bunch of band shirts some time in the near future.
Hm...did I miss anything? Um...I wear a Nautica black corduroy jacket everywhere - in Florida - it's that amazing.
Think that's about it =D
Wanna hear the truth? Life is downright ok.

ishikiri

Postby ishikiri » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:21 pm UTC

I generally wear dark Navy topman jeans (I have 3 pairs of the same jeans, though 1 or 2 pairs don't really fit anymore - to be replaed on payday), a web-comic/artists/graphic size small American Apparell T-shirt, grey H&M hoodie (on my forth one of these) and a pair of nike old schools (third pair).

For going out I wear said Jeans, "generic going-out shirt" (from Poketo.com but they don't sell it anymore. It had lots of zebras on. Looks better than it sounds), suit jacket and brown Italian style shoes (also both from topman).

I've got to highly reccomend topman shoes - they're pretty much industructable. My first pair have only been re-soled once in 2 years after miles and miles of use.

I used to wear the going out thing but with a collared shirt pretty much every day. I won best dressed award!
clintonius wrote:The "thwak thwak thwak" in this movie makes me think they cranked up a powerpoint slideshow of angry pictures set to the soundtrack of a furious masturbator.

Kineticka

Postby Kineticka » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:42 pm UTC

Blubb3r3ng3l wrote:Pssssst. The more expensive the jeans, the lower the number is they print on them.
I've said too much.

This made me smile. :)

I forgot to mention one thing that I wear, that I honestly never would have bought if I had to pay full price. I own a Spyder ski jacket because I won it in a raffle the local sport store was holding. They were holding a fund raiser for a children's charity, winner got a brand jacket of their choice up to a certain value. I figured "Eh, it's a good cause," dropped ten dollars, and got a rather surprising phone call four days later. o_o

aetherson

Postby aetherson » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:08 pm UTC

VectorZero wrote:
PictureSarah wrote:I would think nice skivvies would be just as or even more important after you're married. Ladies like to see their mens tushies covered by stylish undies in good condition. No stained and torn tighty whities that have lost all their elastic, please.

...To be honest, I don't understand the popularity of tighty whities anyway. I've never seen them advertised here...

The closest I get is boxer-briefs...and these only when working out/ playing sports/ running/doing-things-where-you-don't-want-stuff-all-a-moving-about...it can be very uncomfortable otherwise.
I still firmly believe that you can tell a lot about a person's personality by the type of underwear that they wear.
It's true.
01001101 01100001 01100100 01100101 00100000 01011001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01001100 01101111 01101111 01101011 00100001

Number3Pencils
The Torment of Existence Weighed against the Horror of Nonbeing

Postby Number3Pencils » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:20 pm UTC

aetherson wrote: I still firmly believe that you can tell a lot about a person's personality by the type of underwear that they wear.
It's true.
I have no personality.

(Edited for improved context)
Last edited by Number3Pencils on Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:57 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:

wst

Postby wst » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:35 pm UTC

I tend to buy my decent clothes in Spain when staying with my mum. I go to a shop called Traib, which only sells 'cool'. Currently my standard getup is Dickies baggy-ish blue jeans, and a Tribal long sleeves T-shirt. Really comfortable to :D
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

Nyssa

Postby Nyssa » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:49 pm UTC

If you want jeans that don't fade fast, don't get Land's End. *shudders* My boyfriend has collected over fifteen pairs of their black jeans. They're terribly cut, horrible fit, and fade like hell. And yet he won't get rid of them just in case he needs junk jeans. Yes, fifteen pairs of junk jeans... in case he decides to paint a bunch of house, rolls around in mud, and break the washing machine for fifteen days straight. On the other hand, and much to my dismay, their stuff seems to last forever.

Anyhow, for black jeans (or other things):
-cold water
-inside out
-the special "for black clothing only" detergent. Some major detergent brand makes it, but I can't find it online. It's $8 at Target. I've used it, it does its job.

For clothing brands, I find a specific JCPenney brand (Mixit) works wonderfully. Their pants are built for females like me who have a small lower waist and a ghetto booty. Yeah, you heard me, a badonkadonk booty. I also love Heavy Red's clothing line. Expensive but gorgeous.
I've been sent to give you a singing mammogram.

Grav

Postby Grav » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:17 am UTC

Ahh, I'm a label whore. I admit it.

-Abercrombie
-AX
-French Connection
-Express
-Banana
-True Religion

<3

8)

If you buy at the right time, you can get some really amazing deals. I got an Abercrombie hoodie for $28(!) once, by buying after the holidays. AX only has the Armani name licenced, so they're not bad in price either. French Connection has shirts for under 30 bucks regularly. Express makes great jeans (I've skidded on pavement in my X2's and there was not even a slight sign of wear... I was stunned). Also, True Religion makes the most comfortable and best looking pairs of jeans you will ever wear, period. =p
That's about as witty as something not witty.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:09 am UTC

Blubb3r3ng3l wrote:Pssssst. The more expensive the jeans, the lower the number is they print on them.

I've said too much.

Is that actually true? It seems like the opposite with dresses, I can fit into something that says it's size 12 and $12 at Ross, but the nice expensive dresses at the mall that I hate, won't zip up half way in a size 14.

I don't usually think much about brand names, as I'm usually preocupied with the part of clothes shopping that feels like a series of strangers reminding me of all the ways in which I'm unnattractive. Then teasing me by having the pants sizes stop half a size smaller than I can comfortably fit into.

turnip

Postby turnip » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:10 pm UTC

I'm not really brand loyal, I tend to shop all over the place. I like Le Chateau for nice shirts/jackets and jewellery. I used to like H&M a lot more, but their style has kind of changed and everything I buy from there falls apart. :roll: I also like Old Navy and Urban Behaviour... I buy a lot of clothes online, too, from places like http://www.modcloth.com/ and http://www.shanalogic.com/. I also like shoes too much and spend a lot of money at Aldo.

Aerol

Postby Aerol » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:52 am UTC

North Face. I'm really, really, really into being warm.
Other then that I'd say I dress nicely but mainly just the normal nice jeans and a t-shirt look. Like someone said earlier, if you're dressed badly people notice the clothes but if you're dressed well, people notice you. I'd never thought of that before but I like it.

Zak

Postby Zak » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:52 am UTC

Billabong? O'Neil? Quiksilver?

Have ye heathens not hearde of mine greate surf fashions?!?!
*waggles eyebrows*

saxything43

Postby saxything43 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:07 am UTC

I make it a point to not prefer any brand over another, and buy on the basis of:

comfort
price
not looking absolutely retarded

The third is loosely held, i only take it into consideration by asking my sister if it looks ok.

She usually shakes her said and says "Whatever" in an amazingly exasperated tone of voice, which has actually become my sign of DO IT.
This post brought you to by the number 42.

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:30 am UTC

cypherspace wrote:Threadless. No more.

Almost the same for me (I am a girl, just to let everyone know). I think maybe 3/4 of my shirts are Threadless, but I actually do wear pants and the occasional other shirt.

I hate having brand name splashed all over me. Yes, I like nice clothes, but I like the ones that don't use my chest as a billboard. Some stores I frequent are Urban Outfitters, Aritzia, American Eagle (almost exclusively for jeans, though), Lucky, Nordstrom (Seattle pride), and local stores.

Z.A.K wrote:Billabong? O'Neil? Quiksilver?

Have ye heathens not hearde of mine greate surf fashions?!?!

Yeah, I definitely had a "surf fashion" phase. Then I got really, really fed up with everything I owned having a hibiscus flower and ROXY emblazoned on it. Such is life.
A good pun is its own reword.
L wrote:A day without kells is a day not worth living.

Zak

Postby Zak » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:54 am UTC

But i'm in California, we don't grow out of that stuff here.
*waggles eyebrows*

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:05 am UTC

Point taken. I always knew there was a reason I felt superior to Californians. We need something to compensate for our constant gloom.

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Postby michaelandjimi » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:28 am UTC

Ended wrote:I really, really want one of these.

Screw that, I want one (or two) of these.

Yeah, I tend to care about what shirts I wear, but my pants just tend to turn up because my parents buy them for me.
Whelan wrote:Relax, have a good time, and hope for the bees ;)

parthenos

Postby parthenos » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:37 pm UTC

i really like gap, and i would wear clothes from urban outfitters if i was large enough. [EDIT] i like target and nanette lepore. i would fill my closet entirely with nanette lepore, marc jacobs, and burberry if that would not cost my entire family's life savings and then some. as is, nordstrom's is very good. [EDIT] i alternate between fancy, really femenine or out there clothes and squarish things that would look significantly better on a male but are very comfortable. that's where target comes in, mostly,[EDIT] i do imagine i have good taste, though. i sort of want to be a fashion designer [EDIT] b/c it's like you're making something you need anyways into art, and that sort of makes me happy. and the only pairs of shoes i have are mary janes and these awesome boots which have actually managed to make me like them. they LACE UP in the BACK. and they look like cavalry boots, according to my mother. i think they look like cowboy boots but way, way cooler. also, for a few months up until maybe february all i would wear was olive drab, a brown corduroy skirt that i love, and those boots. which is, in retrospect, sort of weird.
maybe if this signature is witty enough someone will finally love me.

evilbeanfiend

Postby evilbeanfiend » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:27 pm UTC

Fat Tony wrote:Does anyone know a particular brand of black jeans that don't turn gray in a week?

get any type you like
get black dye (i usually use a dylon washing machine dye, you also need quite a bit of salt for this)
if they start to fade, dye the suckers black again
in ur beanz makin u eveel

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:39 pm UTC

I got 2 pairs of black jeans like, 4 years ago that are still black. Of course, they're now barely wearable as they are way too damn tight for some reason and also have holes in them anyway. They were levi's anyway.

Apart from that, I have no designer clothes whatsoever, apart from 2 xkcd shirts.

However... I am planning to put in an absolutely massive xkcd shirt order soon, so yeah. (As in, gather as much interest as possible among people I know to save on shipping costs to australia). Should be able to get to 10 shirts easily. I'm still thinking even 50 is a possibility.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

lesliesage

Postby lesliesage » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:27 pm UTC

Toeofdoom wrote:Apart from that, I have no designer clothes whatsoever, apart from 2 xkcd shirts.
The largest % of my clothes from one brand are Threadless shirts, therefore American Apparel, who I think does good work. Oh, unless you count all my Victoria's Secret cotton knickers. Trusty trusty knickers.

I'd probably have more American Apparel stuff besides their gloriously cut t-shirts if there were a shop here where I could try stuff on.

Oooh- I love Saucony shoes for walking, Asics for running, Merrell for hiking.

I do not wear black jeans.

MoonBuggy

Postby MoonBuggy » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:40 pm UTC

They've got a couple of branches in London, if you happen to be down there.
Michael McClary, in alt.fusion, wrote:Irrigation of the land with sewater desalinated by fusion power is ancient. It's called 'rain'.

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Postby 22/7 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:45 pm UTC

since it hasn't been said yet, I'm a big fan of about 60% of the prAna clothing I see. I am, however, currently too poor to afford their stuff regularly.
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

lesliesage

Postby lesliesage » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:34 pm UTC

Oooh, I've never heard of prAna. I just looked at their site; looks nice. I'm kind of weirded out though. It's a British shop, but they call them "pants?" What's with that? I kind of like FatFace and WhiteStuff clothes. I don't know if they're British or international, but I can't afford it anyway besides Christmas sales. In the US I also like American Eagle and Urban Outfitters. In the UK, a few things at the Gap will do in a pinch.

Edit: OKok, nevermind, that was weird. prAna is clearly American. I thought it looked incongruously sporty. And now it makes more sense that I've never heard of it.

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Postby 22/7 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:55 pm UTC

Yeah, it's an American company. Their base is primarily climbing and yoga clothing (which, as it happens, overlaps quite a bit in its usefulness), which is probably why I like it so much. Also, how often do you find socially acceptable stretchy pants for the men-folk? Rarely, that's how often.
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:20 pm UTC

michaelandjimi wrote:

...That is the coolest thing ever. DO WANT! (And somebody else to wear the other, of course)

lesliesage

Postby lesliesage » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:02 pm UTC

deleted
Last edited by lesliesage on Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:53 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Zak

Postby Zak » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:22 am UTC

I seem to be the only person here who likes logos. No just plain text logos though, the more unreadable and cool looking the better. Its really just a design with some barely legile text at some part, so 'sall good.
*waggles eyebrows*

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:34 am UTC

Right now I'm wearing this. It's probably the coolest expression of nerdiness ever, and I love it. I'm at Barnes and Noble with a cup of coffee and a whole bunch of programming books by me and I feel like such a nerd yuppie.

I now declare Nerd Yuppie a new trend that all should aspire to. It's a blend of sexy and smart and epitomizes the intelligence culture. Yes, there's an intelligence culture now, and we rock.
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?

I made this thing:
www.justthetipcalculator.com

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Postby michaelandjimi » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:43 am UTC

kellsbells wrote:
michaelandjimi wrote:

...That is the coolest thing ever. DO WANT! (And somebody else to wear the other, of course)

I would totally, but, alas, we probably live on opposite sides of the world, so they would never light up. Which would defeat the purpose :( .

My finger seems to be attracted to the comma key today; I'm not sure why.
Whelan wrote:Relax, have a good time, and hope for the bees ;)

Hica

Postby Hica » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:44 pm UTC

As far as pants are concerned, American Eagle is the only brand that I'll wear. I've tried countless other brands and they're the only brand that does the trick for me. For shirts, I wear polos 90% of the time. Ralph Lauren and Lacoste for the most part, but I have some other stuff as well.

*EDIT* I forgot to mention I'm an underwear brand ho (boxer-briefs of course). Oddly enough, my Burberry boxer-briefs are my least favorite, but some random brand from Wal-Mart are my favorite. Funny how that works out.
Last edited by Hica on Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:14 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

parthenos

Postby parthenos » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:59 pm UTC

[EDIT]
maybe if this signature is witty enough someone will finally love me.

d3adf001

Postby d3adf001 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:33 pm UTC

argyl3 wrote:Right now I'm wearing this. It's probably the coolest expression of nerdiness ever, and I love it. I'm at Barnes and Noble with a cup of coffee and a whole bunch of programming books by me and I feel like such a nerd yuppie.

I now declare Nerd Yuppie a new trend that all should aspire to. It's a blend of sexy and smart and epitomizes the intelligence culture. Yes, there's an intelligence culture now, and we rock.

nope my lug shirt is. it has cowsay on the front and a giant asci tux on the back that is made out of a section of the kernel source code

lesliesage

Postby lesliesage » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:38 pm UTC

deleted
Last edited by lesliesage on Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:01 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:51 pm UTC

argyl3 wrote:I now declare Nerd Yuppie....

..Nuppie?
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

d3adf001

Postby d3adf001 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:23 pm UTC

Spoiler:

those are my new shoes since my mom didnt like my docs

MFHodge

Postby MFHodge » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:48 pm UTC

Nice - I'm a fan of straight-lacing.

Return to “General”