Bush comes up with a genius plan for Iraq.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

warriorness
Huge Fucking-Lazer

Bush comes up with a genius plan for Iraq.

Postby warriorness » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:56 pm UTC

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070126/ap_on_go_pr_wh/bush
"My instruction to him was `Get over to the zone as quickly as possible, and implement a plan that will achieve our goals,'" Bush said.

Sounds like my dad's strategy for winning hockey games: "Score more goals than the other team."

Bush's plan is a bit more vague though. Its potential depends on what the goals are.

Peshmerga
Mad Hatter

Postby Peshmerga » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:39 pm UTC

The goal in Iraq is to setup and maintain a US supervised capitalist state. Iranian and Syrian insurgents understand this, and are sending impressionable kids to blow themselves up in the middle of a crowded market to interrupt and destruct any stability. Doing this prevents Iraq from being a democratic republic; winning a war against the United States is a great claim to power. As well, middle eastern oil would remain under their own control - allowing them to sell the oil to the US and other states.

Without stability, there will never be an economy in Iraq. Without economy, no military, no law; leaving the US unable to control middle eastern oil. Some of me thinks that this is more of a war of honor than anything; the second vietnam.

Note: There is no military solution to the instability in Iraq. I once thought that you could control the roads of Baghdad, but I have come to realize that the place is simply too big to contain. It's like trying to block the flow of a stream with 120,000 needles - something will still get through.

It would be interesting to see the results of paying the would-be insurgents families money in return for civil peace. Finding those families and limiting abuse would be difficult, though.
i hurd u liek mudkips???

Tractor

Postby Tractor » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:46 pm UTC

I'm not so sure about his goals, but they probably have something do to with lining his (and his buddies) pockets with shit-tons of money and oil. I do know what the message is though.

And, other facts.

And despite the low approval ratings, the 3k+ dead americans, the thousands (tens or hundreds of thousands, depending on the source) of others dead, and the democrats taking over congress (mostly as a protest of the republican/bush handling of things)...he is sending more troops.

I wonder if he thinks that if enough bodies pile up, they just won't be able to fight around all the corpses.
9 x 6 = 42

Note: Randall kicks ass.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:26 pm UTC

I think it's clear that Bush is no genius.

Hey...waitaminute... //inserts hyphen

:o

(I was expecting him to be Clinton, personally)

no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Postby no-genius » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:47 pm UTC

Hey! I strongly disassociate myself from the actions and policies of Mr. Bush.

also I'm not an alcoholic
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:55 pm UTC

Well neither is he. He's recovered. I mean, seriously, disagree with the dude's policies and ideas, but personal attacks and accusations that he's deliberately trying to screw the American people/teh world are pretty asenine. Clearly he does lots of things for reasons of political power (expansion of executive power being a fine example), and that puts him in the company of almost all politicians. Welcome to representative democracy.
One of these days my desk is going to collapse in the middle and all its weight will come down on my knee and tear my new fake ACL. It could be tomorrow. This is my concern.

no-genius

Postby no-genius » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:59 pm UTC

Also I'm english, so I wouldn't be able to vote for myself :P

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:12 am UTC

You'd be able to vote for yourself if you tried to become head of state of a nation in which you were eligible to run. US Presidents have to be US-born. I'm not sure that law makes sense anymore, but hey, whatever it take to keep Arnold Schwarzenegger out of the White House.
One of these days my desk is going to collapse in the middle and all its weight will come down on my knee and tear my new fake ACL. It could be tomorrow. This is my concern.

no-genius

Postby no-genius » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:14 am UTC

He'll be back

william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Postby william » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:56 am UTC

His political career started going down the toilet once he said he wanted to "close the border".
SecondTalon wrote:A pile of shit can call itself a delicious pie, but that doesn't make it true.

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:10 pm UTC

william wrote:His political career started going down the toilet once he said he wanted to "close the border".

He'll be back
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

RealGrouchy
Nobody Misses Me As Much As Meaux.

Re: Bush comes up with a genius plan for Iraq.

Postby RealGrouchy » Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:50 pm UTC

"My instruction to him was `Get over to the zone as quickly as possible, and implement a plan that will achieve our goals,'" Bush said.

Who, exactly, does the word "our" refer to?

America? Congress? The White House? PNAC? Halliburton?

- RG>
Jack Saladin wrote:etc., lock'd
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:At least he has the decency to REMOVE THE GAP BETWEEN HIS QUOTES....
Sungura wrote:I don't really miss him. At all. He was pretty grouchy.

frezik

Postby frezik » Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:07 am UTC

Bush seems like a paradox to me. If you listen to people who know him personally, including those who are his staunch political opponents, they'll often say he's actually a very smart guy. But then he keeps saying things like "It is clear our nation is reliant upon big foreign oil. More and more of our imports come from overseas."

I suspect he's intentially making himself appear dumb so people underestimate him.

no-genius

Postby no-genius » Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:27 am UTC

Well we won't misunderestimate him now :

(i think he is that dumb, at the people who know him are lying)

Nomic

Postby Nomic » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:34 am UTC

Eighter he's an idiot (which many of his decisions seem to reflect) or he just sucks at talking.

Sufimoru

Postby Sufimoru » Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:27 pm UTC

frezik wrote:I suspect he's intentially making himself appear dumb so people underestimate him.

I can't recall the source, but I remember hearing that his verbal faux pas are not only intentional but were originally part of his campaign technique.

Since Woodrow Wilson, we tend to not go with the highly intelligent candidates. Instead, we'll either vote for the average one or just slightly above average. It makes the president seem more American if he's on the same level, or something like that.

"Is our children learning?" reinforces the idea that Bush is just an average Joe. And, politically, he doesn't need to seem smart because he was a martyr for neo-cons. He's absolutely killed his political career (Not like it matters anymore), but he's done plenty that made the neo-cons happy. "We're in a war that we're 'not winning but not losing' and everyone absolutely hates us for it-- Hell, send in some more troops!" He can have the gall to do these things because he doesn't have to worry about polls anymore.

As for the 180 on a lot of policies in the state of the union address? Lies, lies, lies, I'd bet. He doesn't have to worry about polls but he DOES have to worry about impeachment. And even though the democrats swore they wouldn't do it, if he screws up too much, I'd hope they'd reconsider.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:56 pm UTC

That is possibly the stupidest thing I've ever heard. I mean, I'm sure it's probably right and I'm not calling you stupid or anything, it's just that the whole concept of someone being elected because he's stupider than the other guy scares the crap out of me.

Sufimoru

Postby Sufimoru » Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:11 pm UTC

Back in 2004 a magazine (I think it was Time) had a list of trends that show what people are more likely to vote for. Another fun fact!

In most cases the taller candidate is elected.

Sorry short people, no presidency for you. D:

And since we're on the topic of presidents and intelligence, I have no idea if this is accurate or not (It probably isn't), but it's funny none-the-less.

veridical

Postby veridical » Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:17 pm UTC

Aw... My state is stupid... But the image gave me a good chortle.
All hail the atheist.

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:58 pm UTC

Average IQ of 85?!

85!?!
That is fucking borderline retarded.
AVERAGE
Jesus christ :P
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:33 pm UTC

fjafjan wrote:Average IQ of 85?!

85!?!
That is fucking borderline retarded.

100 = Global Average
85 = US Police Officer Entrance Exam
110 = UK Average
140+ = "Genius" status and acceptance into MENSA (upon authentication)
137 = me, aged nine.
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

Sufimoru

Postby Sufimoru » Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:38 pm UTC

Actually, it's on the low end of "normal" intelligence. Rock bottom of that category, actually.

70-84 is borderline, and once you get to 69 and below you've officially hit mild mental retardation. It's standard deviations of 15.

Anyway, looked up more on the chart, and it turns out that it's more so a measure of average income than IQ, with the basis for the correlation being the book, "IQ and the Wealth of Nations." Meaning that while the book was not directly involved in the chart, the methodology came directly from it.

http://www.isteve.com/Web_Exclusives_Ar ... ay2004.htm

He also made his own chart, found here. Funny thing to me is that it lists D.C. pretty far down on the list.

Edit: Global average IQ is definitely not 100 unless specifically adjusted for each region, in which case the UK would also have an average of 100.

IQ tests are designed to achieve an average of 100 and a 15 point standard deviation. When you have someone from, say, Italy, take an American-made IQ test, they will more than likely score lower than 100 simply because it doesn't fit their culture. Even translated perfectly into Italian, just wording something a different way can affect people's ability to answer the question. And that's not just making the wording simpler, but different grammatical structures are actually easier to understand to some cultures than others.

So the only way an IQ test could be accurate is if it's specifically tailored to the group taking it. And if you did that, since an IQ test is essentially an aptitude test and people in third world countries don't have the same education opportunities, an IQ of 130 in Ethiopia means something very different than an IQ of 130 in America.

For another look at that fault, the movie, Idiocracy, had someone who was abnormally normal in 2005 (Scoring the median in every possible test) become the smartest man in the world when he was woken up in 2505, scoring higher than anyone else on the IQ test.
Last edited by Sufimoru on Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:52 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

no-genius

Postby no-genius » Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:41 pm UTC

Actually, the average IQ in a popualtion is always 100 (by definition)

Sufimoru

Postby Sufimoru » Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:50 pm UTC

Curse you, no-genius! It's always easier to post faster when you post less. D:

Lani
Has Boobs (Probably)

Postby Lani » Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:12 pm UTC

IQ is also a pretty flawed test. It, along with other standardized tests, really measures how good you are at taking tests. For example, my IQ has been estimated to be around 150 - Mensa level (no joke). Am I a genius? No, but I'm good at taking tests.

Every year they have to adjust the test to keep the average 100. That right there should make it pretty damn questionable as to how 'objective' it is as a measure.
- Lani

"They think they're so high and mighty, just because they never got caught driving without pants."

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:35 am UTC

How do you find that estimate anyway? :P I'm fairly sure I'd be able to get into mensa atleast, which is what, 132? but like, they actually make you pay to do the stupid test, so I really dont see the point :p

But yeah i saw that chart on the chaser actually >.> and it probably is accurate :/
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

Lani
Has Boobs (Probably)

Postby Lani » Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:04 am UTC

Mensa, I believe is at 150, which is considered genius. I think 120 or 130 is gifted.

But like I said, IQ ain't what it's cracked up to be.
- Lani

"They think they're so high and mighty, just because they never got caught driving without pants."

Disruptive Idiot

Postby Disruptive Idiot » Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:11 am UTC

frezik wrote:Bush seems like a paradox to me. If you listen to people who know him personally, including those who are his staunch political opponents, they'll often say he's actually a very smart guy. But then he keeps saying things like "It is clear our nation is reliant upon big foreign oil. More and more of our imports come from overseas."

I suspect he's intentially making himself appear dumb so people underestimate him.

Did it ever occur to you that a large portion of U.S. imports come from Canada, Mexico, and South America? Especially for oil. We get most of it from Canada, Mexico, Saudi Arabia, and Venezula fourth.
Last edited by Disruptive Idiot on Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:13 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Toeofdoom

Postby Toeofdoom » Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:13 am UTC

Well the mensa website said 132 >.>
130 is top 2.5%, mensa is top 2%

but yeah, i know what you mean. it is kinda pointless really. Yay lets measure our subjective intelligence and turn it into a single number and make it sound really important whereas its not actually going to change anything.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

hyperion
"I'll show ye...."

Postby hyperion » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:05 am UTC

Disruptive Idiot wrote:
frezik wrote:Bush seems like a paradox to me. If you listen to people who know him personally, including those who are his staunch political opponents, they'll often say he's actually a very smart guy. But then he keeps saying things like "It is clear our nation is reliant upon big foreign oil. More and more of our imports come from overseas."

Did it ever occur to you that a large portion of U.S. imports come from Canada, Mexico, and South America? Especially for oil. We get most of it from Canada, Mexico, Saudi Arabia, and Venezula fourth.

...is that a joke? imports, by definition, come from overseas. that was the problem with what he said.
Peshmerga wrote:A blow job would probably get you a LOT of cheeseburgers.
But I digress.

Toeofdoom

Postby Toeofdoom » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:27 am UTC

Actually, his point was that technically there are no seas to go over when importing from those countries. So, you could just use trucks and stuff rather than boats. Right? well thats a good point anyway i guess.

Website

Sufimoru

Postby Sufimoru » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:13 am UTC

Disruptive Idiot wrote:

I thought a large portion of our imports came from China.

Gordon
Dr. Banana
Dr. Banana

Postby Gordon » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:22 am UTC

A large part of your awesome comes from Canada!
Meaux_Pas wrote:
RealGrouchy wrote:I still remember the time when Gordon left. I still wake up in the middle of the night crying and screaming his name.
I do that too, but for an entirely different reason.
RealGrouchy wrote:
Gordon wrote:How long have I been asleep?!
Our daughter is in high school now.

Disruptive Idiot

Postby Disruptive Idiot » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:21 am UTC

HYPERiON wrote:...is that a joke? imports, by definition, come from overseas. that was the problem with what he said.

His point was that we get a large portion of our oil from our stable neighbors (barring Venezuela of course =P) with whom we have excellent ties with. Canada is our main provider of crude and refined oil. However, he was pointing out that we are becoming increasingly reliant on oil imported from overseas, such as Saudi Arabia. These countries are less stable and reliable as oil sources than Canada and our other American supplies. His point was that we should avoid this trend.

Sufimori, yes we get an incredible amount of imports from China, but I'm very sure we don't get any oil from them.

Babbler

Postby Babbler » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:26 pm UTC

Sufimoru wrote:Back in 2004 a magazine (I think it was Time) had a list of trends that show what people are more likely to vote for. Another fun fact!

In most cases the taller candidate is elected.

Sorry short people, no presidency for you. D:

And since we're on the topic of presidents and intelligence, I have no idea if this is accurate or not (It probably isn't), but it's funny none-the-less.

That's just an urban legend.

Toeofdoom

Postby Toeofdoom » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:35 am UTC

:( but its so cool...

Website

Peshmerga
Mad Hatter

Postby Peshmerga » Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:35 am UTC

26; I'm average!
i hurd u liek mudkips???

frezik

Postby frezik » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:03 am UTC

no-genius wrote:(i think he is that dumb, at the people who know him are lying)

I can't buy it. Too many of these same people hate him politically.

"Disruptive Idiot wrote:His point was that we get a large portion of our oil from our stable neighbors (barring Venezuela of course =P) with whom we have excellent ties with. Canada is our main provider of crude and refined oil. However, he was pointing out that we are becoming increasingly reliant on oil imported from overseas, such as Saudi Arabia. These countries are less stable and reliable as oil sources than Canada and our other American supplies. His point was that we should avoid this trend.

I know what point he was trying to make. The wording was just bad for what should normally be seemless political speach.

Quick! Name the politician:

Hawaii has always been a very pivotal role in the Pacific. It is IN the Pacific. It is a part of the United States that is an island that is right here.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:13 am UTC

If not Bush, I'd have to say Dan Quayle. That guy's hilarious.

frezik

Postby frezik » Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:09 pm UTC

Hawknc wrote:If not Bush, I'd have to say Dan Quayle. That guy's hilarious.

Quayle it is.

Return to “General”