Bush comes up with a genius plan for Iraq.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:25 pm UTC

I don't mean that, it's just that it's so recent that I feel too emotionally involved and would be arguing from an emotional standpoint and not a logical one which has a tendency to lead to swathing statements that do noting to further discussion.

Although I do think that if the government in the UK can provide student loans to pay people through University, there should be some option for those of us who eschewed university in favour of setting up a business.

thomasjmaccoll

Postby thomasjmaccoll » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:39 pm UTC

I think your input would be very valuable here Jesster, I doubt many people, if any, on this board are able to speak from the other side of the fence, and when I read Pesh and Akula's posts, i was wondering if they would be saying the same things had they experienced poverty... Personally, I think a pretty compassionate government would be the way to go, but I don't have enough knowledge on the topic to give an intelligent viewpoint I don't think.
slow down, you move too fast

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:45 pm UTC

I'm kinda getting the feeling that modern society as a whole doesnt work right... people werent made for such big gatherings in cities.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

Akula

Postby Akula » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:47 am UTC

thomasjmaccoll wrote:I think your input would be very valuable here Jesster, I doubt many people, if any, on this board are able to speak from the other side of the fence, and when I read Pesh and Akula's posts, i was wondering if they would be saying the same things had they experienced poverty... Personally, I think a pretty compassionate government would be the way to go, but I don't have enough knowledge on the topic to give an intelligent viewpoint I don't think.

I don't know that we were below the poverty line, but growing up wasn't exactly a pleasure cruise. Both my parents were unemployed or only working part time for a long stretch of years.

As the saying goes, I have no problem with giving people a hand up and not a hand out. That's why I'd be in favor of dumping a lot of money into financial aid programs for education. Even with out actual college, there isn't much of a reason to not get a good job so long as you have a marketable skill. Buddy of mine only has his HS diploma, and just got offered 80,000 to do IT work at the DoD. Perhaps is not so easy in Europe though, so I can't really comment on that case.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:08 am UTC

Our huge problem here is unemployment. Especially right here in Blackpool. Since most jobs here work around the tourists they only employ people for half the year.

I'm actually in agreement that the rich shouldn't be punished just for being rich. In most cases they really did earn it. It would be nice if they decided to invest a portion in helping others, many of whom do anyway.

I think a lot more money needs to be poured into education, almost everywhere you look there is proof that a decent education improves people's chances of doing well in life. If they can go hand in hand with decent financial aid packages (Not necessarily handouts, but ways to allow people to pursue ideas that seem beyond their means). There was a decent scheme available in Scotland actually, which involved the government giving grants out to young entrepreneurs with impressive business plans and ideas.

Unfortunately I myself wouldn't have qualified for it, living in a council house under my father's name. But it's schemes like that that can really help people.

I no longer want for anything. I sit here amidst my piles of books and comics, on a computer worth a few hundred pounds. Even a nice painting on the wall. The point I really wanted to make was how impossible that actually was for me, that it took a family member to risk their own safe finances to even get me a job, and that the government refuse to support young people going into business here in England, when surely it is us who shall provide the future.

Peshmerga
Mad Hatter

Postby Peshmerga » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:41 am UTC

I'm very sympathetic to your plight Jesster, it's just that I can't, in my mind, blame anyone else other than myself for my own situation. I don't mean to sound cruel, and if I knew you a little better I'd probably sooner turn gushy and give you the benefit of the doubt, but I just can't say to myself that even the simplest goals can sometimes be impossible.

I grew up with lower-middle class standards. I've been afforded every opportunity in life up to this point and I'm still neglecting them. I hate myself for it.
i hurd u liek mudkips???

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:17 am UTC

It is expected of you Peshmerga, you always were the bitter one :D

The biggest problem I actually have is the mindset my mother has, which is that having as much money as possible is the best thing. She virtually neglected her family because of her long work hours (And is doing it again with her new family and children) and dragged us over the country following better job opportunities before she finally left because "She couldn't afford us." Due to this I am not great with finances, I hate a work ethic that neglects other people and am often known as being overly generous with my money, even when it is not beneficial to me. I blame this solely on the situation I came from, and is a decent example (for me anyway) of how your situation as a child can have an impact on your fiscal responsibility.

(I really hate sounding like I'm whining. To counter that I love having the childhood I had, it was better than other people I know and I always had some form of bed to sleep in and loaves of bread to eat. Also, it has led to a life where I regularly get paid to wear a cowboy hat.)

Tractor

Postby Tractor » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:25 pm UTC

As the current Bush thread, I thought this was appropriate:
Link
9 x 6 = 42

Note: Randall kicks ass.

ivnja
The spirit of things can bugger right off.

Postby ivnja » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:29 pm UTC

Jeez. I can't even see how that one can be a quote that was taken out of context. That's....man, true or not, that's not something that you say when you've got an unpopular war going on. Self-righteousness doesn't often go over well.
Hi you.
she/her

Return to “General”