Confessional Shed - I'll keep a look-out

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Torvaun

Re: Confessional Thread - Confession Entity too Large

Postby Torvaun » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:49 pm UTC

El Senor Fruit Swing wrote:Thank you I think, but it Could happen.. You don't know how much could spring from one little tip, her parents could find out and stop paying for her collage, then she'd be money less and homeless and be forced to move home and work at burger king.

Or, her alcoholism is brought to light, she gets the help she needs, and moves on to become a productive member of society instead of a drunk that beats her children (already developmentally stunted due to her drinking all through her pregnancies). And yes, that happens too.

If we're going to continue our discussion on whether or not people deserve it when they get caught doing things they shouldn't, we should probably make a new thread.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

The Spherical Cow

Re: Confessional Thread - Confession URI too Long

Postby The Spherical Cow » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:56 pm UTC

Fossa wrote:And yes, she is an alcoholic. The comes back drunk extremely frequently

Coming home drunk quite a lot does not make you an alcoholic. She sounds like a heavy drinker from that description, but not an alcoholic.

And a confession to stay on track:

I sometimes think about bad things happening to other people, getting me out of certain situations. I don't want it to happen, but it's still there.

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:46 pm UTC

Confession: I'm waiting for a page number to come up that doesn't have a HTTP error code attatched... four more to go, it appears...
hermaj wrote:No-one. Will. Be. Taking. Cheese's. Spot.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Cheese is utterly correct on all fronts.
SecondTalon wrote:That thing that Cheese just said. Do that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I hereby disagree and declare Cheese to be brilliant.

Clerria

Postby Clerria » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:02 pm UTC

Wow. This thread sure has grown, huh?

Confession: I haven't been in the mood to peruse the forum in awhile, and I'm still not quite there 100%. I'm more than a little anxious and stressed, but still excited though because I've changed my mind: I'm not moving to the northeast in Spring. I'm moving to the far east.

So yeah... selling my furniture and things is really difficult for me, stress-wise. I'll get over it, I'm sure. If anyone needs me, I'll be in Japan for the next few years : )~
eristic wrote:
Clerria wrote:Do you speak Greek? ;)

'maybe'

Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:26 pm UTC

Don't forget to have a chat with Nyarlathotep (currently a resident of Japan, as I recall).

Best of luck in your endeavour, I've always wished to visit the place.
Belial wrote:You are giving me the tools to sodomize my vast imagination, and for this I am grateful.

PM Me, if you care for a chat.

Berengal
Superabacus Mystic of the First Rank

Postby Berengal » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:27 pm UTC

Confession: I really feel a need to post something here, but can't think of anything concrete. I miss the feeling of relief I got when posting my first confessions.
It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students who are motivated by money: As potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

firer

Postby firer » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:57 pm UTC

Confession: Just created my first thread in this fora, and I really hoping people find it interesting. Also,

Confession: Is afraid of getting pwned by mods (particularly, afraid of the red text of the death...). Is even more afraid, now that just created his first thread in this fora.

Confession: Started using contact lenses today. Yay for them! I'm hoping getting used to them quickly.
I'm a non-native speaker seeking improvement at the English language. If you want, feel free to correct my English mistakes. :)

Angelene
relax, I'll handle the zippers

Postby Angelene » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:28 am UTC

Clerria wrote:Wow. This thread sure has grown, huh?

Confession: I haven't been in the mood to peruse the forum in awhile, and I'm still not quite there 100%. I'm more than a little anxious and stressed, but still excited though because I've changed my mind: I'm not moving to the northeast in Spring. I'm moving to the far east.

So yeah... selling my furniture and things is really difficult for me, stress-wise. I'll get over it, I'm sure. If anyone needs me, I'll be in Japan for the next few years : )~

Hey sweetheart, welcome back, you were missed! Good luck in Japan, they'll be lucky to have you.
"Some people need a red carpet rolled out in front of them in order to walk forward into friendship. They can't see the tiny outstretched hands all around them, everywhere, like leaves on trees."

Zak

Postby Zak » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:31 am UTC

Confession: I might get the chance to go to saudi arabia, because my dad and all of his family grew up there, and i am SUPER excited!
*waggles eyebrows*

Clerria

Postby Clerria » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:00 am UTC

Thanks ID & Cara : ) I'm looking forward to the day when I'll have all the pre-move stuff done and over with, so I can start practically a new life!
eristic wrote:

'maybe'

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:09 am UTC

Clerria wrote:Thanks ID & Cara : ) I'm looking forward to the day when I'll have all the pre-move stuff done and over with, so I can start practically a new life!

I'm doing something similar soon. It's a strangely liberating feeling for me to have to start again with only what I can carry on a flight. It concentrates me on what is really important materially, which throws other things into relief. I'm really excited too. If I had a definitive date to leave on, I'd be counting the days constantly...
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

Clerria

Postby Clerria » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:20 am UTC

That is part of what is so stressful for me. I have an entire house's worth of furniture, not to mention a very large number of books that I'll fret over if I can't bring with me.... It's VERY hard for me to trim down my belongings to 3 suitcases and a carry-on : ) Liberating, yes, but a bit painful too.
eristic wrote:

'maybe'

Zak

Postby Zak » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:27 am UTC

I plan on moving somewhere faaaar away from the U.S. after college, any ideas? Preferably somewhere i can speak english that is not/has never been a global superpower.
*waggles eyebrows*

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:31 am UTC

Cheese wrote:Confession: I'm waiting for a page number to come up that doesn't have a HTTP error code attatched... four more to go, it appears...
It's been a learning experience for me, although before it was explained I was wondering which of the mods was a robot. And now I'm curious, how long can a URI be?

Um, confession: I much prefer to ask people questions that look things up, even though I'll spending ages looking stuff up when someone asks me a question.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:40 am UTC

Z.A.K wrote:I plan on moving somewhere faaaar away from the U.S. after college, any ideas? Preferably somewhere i can speak english that is not/has never been a global superpower.

Only place I can think of that fits those criteria is Australia. I hear they have the world's crappiest ISPs, though. If you don't mind learning a foreign language or two, I'd recommend Switzerland.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

Boesthius

Postby Boesthius » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:46 am UTC

Z.A.K wrote:I plan on moving somewhere faaaar away from the U.S. after college, any ideas? Preferably somewhere i can speak english that is not/has never been a global superpower.

I want to move to Korea so I can play Starcraft and get recognized for it :D
life of lively to live to life of full life thx to shield battery

Zak

Postby Zak » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:48 am UTC

Yeah, i had come up with New Zealand and Australia, i love learning new languages but for simple ease of living the first year i would like to live in a place that spoke english.
*waggles eyebrows*

Berengal
Superabacus Mystic of the First Rank

Postby Berengal » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:57 am UTC

Boesthius wrote:

Against those koreans? You'll get zerg rushed before you even boot your computer.
It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students who are motivated by money: As potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

Will
There are about a million things I can do from behind

Postby Will » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:09 am UTC

Cheese wrote:Confession: I'm waiting for a page number to come up that doesn't have a HTTP error code attatched... four more to go, it appears...

Unless you count the extensions from RFC4918 in which case we'll be getting a few more starting with 422-Unprocessable Confession.
Meaux_Pas: Is it fucking Taint Sunday or something?
liza: Screw y'all, I'm going to the moon

Fossa

Postby Fossa » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:12 am UTC

Will wrote:

Unless you count the extensions from RFC4918 in which case we'll be getting a few more starting with 422-Unprocessable Confession.

If they do though we're in a world of trouble come 423. :cry:

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:12 am UTC

Clerria wrote:That is part of what is so stressful for me. I have an entire house's worth of furniture, not to mention a very large number of books that I'll fret over if I can't bring with me.... It's VERY hard for me to trim down my belongings to 3 suitcases and a carry-on : ) Liberating, yes, but a bit painful too.

You get three cases?! I'm only allowed two, and one of those is my keyboard!

But yeah, I'm giving up my first attempt at furnishing, my bed, wardrobe, tables and so on. It's just a small flat, but it is very different to renting furnished. Confession: I will miss my wardrobe. Found it in the street, it is perfect, and it's the first one I've ever owned.

Second confession: What am I doing posting from bed at 2am, when I could just turn out the lights and sleep would be wonderful? Clearly I am an idiot.
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

Vandole

Postby Vandole » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:14 am UTC

Confession: I'm supposed to be writing a poem in regular meter, but I can't even figure out which syllables are stressed and unstressed.
Vandole wants you to read An Intimate History of the Greater Kingdom (NSFW text).
Oh, I'm no end table. I'm a nightstand.
Gelsamel wrote:Don't ever sig me..... ever.

Zak

Postby Zak » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:16 am UTC

Ha check out the what **Should** you be doing, thread, the last few pages are all in rhyme.
*waggles eyebrows*

Vandole

Postby Vandole » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:31 am UTC

Meter's more than merely rhyme
even more than that plus time
it's repeating lyric feet
When used right, it's pretty neat.
Meter iambic's what I write
and therein I find my plight
I can't discern un from stress'd
So I write here of my quest.
Vandole wants you to read An Intimate History of the Greater Kingdom (NSFW text).

Zak

Postby Zak » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:08 am UTC

I am quite aware of your foul plight
And dearly wish to avoid a fight,
I know of this meter that you so speak
And think Iambic Pentameter's pretty beat,
(When i look back on that rhyme i think, "thats pretty weak.")

Idea twas all i sought to bestow
It seems that this, you do not know!
*waggles eyebrows*

firer

Postby firer » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:10 am UTC

Confession: I'm shy enough not to try rhyming, considering I'm a non-native speaker, because I know it would sound ridiculous.
I'm a non-native speaker seeking improvement at the English language. If you want, feel free to correct my English mistakes. :)

Zak

Postby Zak » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:13 am UTC

Go for it, at worst you will mess up and we will help you out with your english!

(also, do you speak portugese or spanish? cause i'm learning spanish, and i have a few questions as to why there are so many tenses...)
*waggles eyebrows*

firer

Postby firer » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:37 am UTC

Z.A.K wrote:Go for it, at worst you will mess up and we will help you out with your english!

(also, do you speak portugese or spanish? cause i'm learning spanish, and i have a few questions as to why there are so many tenses...)

There're things I don't understand
People confuse this to no end
In Brazil, the language we speak
Portuguese, it is, not greek!

I know, it's horrible. :P. I'm terrible at vocabulary...

Spanish and Portuguese are pretty similar, though. Maybe I can help you, :), but I wouldn't trust my answers.

++$_
Mo' Money

Postby ++$_ » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:43 am UTC

The tenses in Spanish aren't that complicated actually. There's (pretty much) only one that we don't have in English -- the imperfect -- and the rest correspond exactly to their equivalents in English. Only in English, we tend to use helping verbs a lot more.

Example:
Spanish/English
(Yo) comeré / I will eat
(Yo) comería (si tuviera hambre) / I would eat (if I were hungry). <-- Note that we use the subjunctive in English too! But most people get it wrong.

The imperfect/preterite issue is a bit tricky, though.

firer

Postby firer » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:50 am UTC

++$_ wrote:The tenses in Spanish aren't that complicated actually. There's (pretty much) only one that we don't have in English -- the imperfect -- and the rest correspond exactly to their equivalents in English. Only in English, we tend to use helping verbs a lot more.

Example:
Spanish/English
(Yo) comeré / I will eat
(Yo) comería (si tuviera hambre) / I would eat (if I were hungry). <-- Note that we use the subjunctive in English too! But most people get it wrong.

The imperfect/preterite issue is a bit tricky, though.

What's this "imperfect" tense you refer to? I'm now thinking that portuguese and spanish have different verb tenses. Also, is that really subjunctive? At least in portuguese, the -ia form of the verb is called "futuro do pretérito" (and, in english, wikipedia says, it's the conditional mood) , and is indicative mood (in portuguese. Yeah, it's weird).

EDIT: more research reveals to me that verb tense classification in English and in Portuguese are really different.

Fat Tony

Postby Fat Tony » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:02 am UTC

The imperfect tense, from what I can tell having been a Spanish II student for a semester, is like the english past progressive. For example, hablar means to talk and habl- followed by -aba, -abas, -aban (hablaban is really fun to say =D), -or abamos means to have been talking.
Eg: Yo hablaba con mi amigo cuando mi padre comio la television.
Translation: I was talking to my friend when my dad ate the television.
The imperfect can also mean somebody used to do something, like "I used to talk to my friend every night, but then my dad started murdering the family chickens every time I touched a phone, so I stopped."

I felt I had to elaborate because I'm not so sure the "past progressive" exists...
Wanna hear the truth? Life is downright ok.

++$_
Mo' Money

Postby ++$_ » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:03 am UTC

In Spanish, verbs in the imperfect tense end in aba or ía, or some variation thereof.

Example:

hablar (to speak) -> hablaba in the imperfect.
comer (to eat) -> comía in the imperfect.

Used as follows:

Estaba comiendo (or just Comía) cuando el teléphono sonó. (I was eating when the telephone rang.) The first verb is in the imperfect, denoting an ongoing action. The second verb is in the preterite, denoting an action fixed in time.

Another example:

Eran las 6 de la mañana, y el lago brillaba con las primeras rayas del sol, cuando me desperté. (It was 6 A.M., and the lake shone with the first rays of the sun, when I awoke.) The first two verbs are imperfect; the third is preterite.

"Tuviera" is "imperfecto de subjuntivo" in Spanish.

EDIT: Your examples pwn mine, methinks.

Vandole

Postby Vandole » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:05 am UTC

The lack of imperfect tense in english annoys me. Where in French, I could say "nous irions a la magasin", implying a repeated past action of going to the store (or that we were going to the store). But in english, there is no imperfect tense, so we have to use things like the colloquialism "used to" or odd sentences (like "we went to the store often before")

firer

Postby firer » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:13 am UTC

Vandole wrote:The lack of imperfect tense in english annoys me. Where in French, I could say "nous irions a la magasin", implying a repeated past action of going to the store (or that we were going to the store). But in english, there is no imperfect tense, so we have to use things like the colloquialism "used to" or odd sentences (like "we went to the store often before")

I now understand this whole thing. I never noticed there wasn't any kind of imperfect tense in English... I mean, when I thought about the imperfect tense, it always came to my mind phrases like 'I was going to the bathroom when the telefone rang', and not in phrases like "Eu cantava bastante quando tinha 7 anos" (I used to sing a lot when I was seven), that's where the lack of the verb tense reveals itself. Interesting.

Anyway, I think, all other verb tenses in portuguese/spanish have equivalents in English, don't they?
Last edited by firer on Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:14 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Zak

Postby Zak » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:14 am UTC

Ser and estar used to piss me off in spanish II but i pretty much get them now.

Also there are like three different tenses/conjugations that are formed exactly like the future. :shock:

Does the condicional have an english counterpart? we just started to learn about that...
*waggles eyebrows*

firer

Postby firer » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:18 am UTC

Z.A.K wrote:Ser and estar used to piss me off in spanish II but i pretty much get them now.

Also there are like three different tenses/conjugations that are formed exactly like the future. :shock:

Does the condicional have an english counterpart? we just started to learn about that...

These verbs - "ser" and "estar" - are really difficult to get (their use is pretty similar between portuguese and spanish).

Are you referring to "yo cantaré"/"yo voy cantar"/"yo voy estar cantando"?

The conditional tense would be like "yo cantaría", right? Aren't they equivalent to the use of "would" in English?

Interestingly enough, in Portuguese, the "cantaria" verb tense is classified under indicative mood, as "futuro do pretérito" (future of preterite, or something like that).

Zak

Postby Zak » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:24 am UTC

It also confuses me that the condicional is conjugated exactly the same as the future tense. Although, after deeper thought on the subject it makes perfect sense.

(Hah, i spelled conditional like you spell it in spanish)
*waggles eyebrows*

Boesthius

Postby Boesthius » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:28 am UTC

Berengal wrote:
Boesthius wrote:

Against those koreans? You'll get zerg rushed before you even boot your computer.

I know :(.
life of lively to live to life of full life thx to shield battery

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:04 am UTC

confession: i think i have a... hm. proper wording... a brain-crush on my lit teacher. first day of class, he's funny, sarcastic, really into what he's teaching (sci-fi lit), gave reverent mention to steampunk, even if he doesnt have time or material to properly cover it as a sub-genre this semester, the reading list is excellent, wants to teach a class on graphic novels eventually, recognizes the importance of film and animation in relation to sci-fi as an entire genre, loves vampires and dislikes star trek conventions. *siiiiigh*

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:02 am UTC

I've done nothing at all productive for the last hour :(.

I really should sleep, but I really don't want to, even if I am tired.

Return to “General”