Confessional Shed - I'll keep a look-out

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

parthenos

Re: Confessional Thread - Now with a newt idol!

Postby parthenos » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:36 pm UTC

to joe frambach: it's NOT important. it's symbolic. i could easily live without listening to them. it's just, as i said, the only thing i disagree with my parents about. which makes it disconcerting, at least to me. i guess it's also sort of disconcerting that i can't separate from them, but oh well. i truly do not care about nirvana, it's only the Symbolic Implications of me liking them that bugs me.

eXS wrote:
parthenos wrote:confession: i'm singing right now and i'm starting to sound like a combination of billy bragg, kurt cobain, and paul weller, only higher and girlier because i am a girl. tis mildly frightening. i better start listening to norah jones or somebody with a pretty voice. of course what i'm singing along to IS billy bragg but whatever. i'm posting here a lot.

Oh, I would want to hear your voice :) (i love billy bragg and kurt cobain is ok)

Edit: What song where you singing?

Confession: Every time anyone mentions nirvana or grunge in general i have to suppress an obsession to ask if they have heard Alice in Chains and whether they like it better or worse than nirvana. Because Alice in Chains is the best grunge band! (their mtv unplugged is also better than nirvanas)

umm thanks, but i have never sung in front of anybody since maybe kindergarten. before that i was constantly singing alanis morissette. i think i was singing "a new england" or "the world turned upside down" or "st. swithin's day". i forget. i have not ever heard alice in chains. they may be better grunge musicians for all i know. it doesn't seem like an excuse, actually. billy bragg is the best! i mostly don't listen to grunge, to tell you the truth. yes, now you get to blast me for liking them only because they were the popular ones. i mostly like some punk (old stuff only and don't test me on my knowledge please), country (NOT POP COUNTRY) at least i think it would be classified as country, or maybe folk (cowboy junkies? townes van zandt? jackson browne? help please), and classic rock (again, i suspect that's what it would be classified as) and MOD. yay mods (you're probably getting sick of the parentheses but please please please don't test me on my knowledge)! yeah but the influence of all of them on my voice is sort of weird sounding, i've got an american accent (having never been out of the continent).

confession: i hate to belong to flocks with a large following among people i actually know, but i don't like heavy metal either. [EDIT] was trying to convince me to like it last night and it is absolutely not music. i don't care whether they're accomplished musicians, they are not good songwriters. it doesn't sound like anything but the dump truck or dishes breaking plus some distortion. and yes, i know the sex pistols [EDIT] are bad musicians, but they could at least sound like they could write good songs. it's not just whacking things and screaming in finnish/portuguese/whatever they were screaming in. heavy metal is just noise. i should stop posting in this thread now.

and jaydee, i didn't even know the slang meaning until you posted that.
maybe if this signature is witty enough someone will finally love me.

Delalyra

Postby Delalyra » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:55 pm UTC

Savoy_Truffle wrote:Confession: I'm very angry at the dream I had last night. It's not fair that it gets to get my hopes up. It was such a quiet dream -- he put his head on my shoulder and told me everything was going to be all right. I remember thinking to myself I was going to have to tell my friends! And then I woke up. ARGH!

Aww. I hate it when that happens. *hugs Savoy*

JayDee wrote:Confession: I was fairly late to the fighting with my parents stage. It was well outside my teenage years.

Yeah, I only recently started..not really fighting, but getting sick of them and wanting to be different and get away. Asserting my independence. I'm a freshman in college who's stuck commuting.

Confession: I spent my entire paycheck over the course of three days. I deposited nary a cent, and have resolved to stop, because I really need to start saving money.

Another Confession: My whole family's out of the house this morning....I think I'm going to bake something delicious and wierd. Or run around naked. Or bake naked!
you may remember me from 2008 or 2009. I left for a while. I'm now sporadically back. I tumble here.

Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:15 pm UTC

We have hats, mostly for the amusement. Top hats naturally, as well as some others. You can look surprisingly cute wearing a bowler derby.

@parthenos: Let your anger out, and then get your arse beat for pissing off the heavy metal dude that's 6'6" and has an army of metal all over his body. :o
Belial wrote:You are giving me the tools to sodomize my vast imagination, and for this I am grateful.

PM Me, if you care for a chat.

koneko

Postby koneko » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:38 pm UTC

i'm all about the hat and green dress in the dracula movie mesself.
ImageImage

parthenos

Postby parthenos » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:36 pm UTC

Insignificant Deification wrote:@parthenos: Let your anger out, and then get your arse beat for pissing off the heavy metal dude that's 6'6" and has an army of metal all over his body. :o

of what do you speak? if you mean the guy who was trying to convince me to like heavy metal, he's more like 5'5", doesn't have any armor (i didn't get what you were saying), and is probably to skinny to actually be able to hurt anybody. also, hats are awesome.

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:18 pm UTC

Confession: I didn't actually realise how much my mother understands that I'm not Catholic... she's still making me go to church, but at least I wasn't dragged to confessions today (one of the best ideas that a preist could've come up with - get the parishoners to tell you what they've done wrong, so that God can forgive them, and hey presto! - instant blackmail!), and my younger brother (who I think does believe) was.
hermaj wrote:No-one. Will. Be. Taking. Cheese's. Spot.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Cheese is utterly correct on all fronts.
SecondTalon wrote:That thing that Cheese just said. Do that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I hereby disagree and declare Cheese to be brilliant.

joeframbach

Postby joeframbach » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:28 pm UTC

Cheese wrote:(one of the best ideas that a preist could've come up with - get the parishoners to tell you what they've done wrong, so that God can forgive them, and hey presto! - instant blackmail!)

It's not that that bugs me about it, it's this:
Timothy 2:5 wrote:For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

which means that some dude wearing a funny getup can't resolve your sins for you.

parthenos

Postby parthenos » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:38 pm UTC

joeframbach wrote:
Cheese wrote:(one of the best ideas that a preist could've come up with - get the parishoners to tell you what they've done wrong, so that God can forgive them, and hey presto! - instant blackmail!)

It's not that that bugs me about it, it's this:
Timothy 2:5 wrote:For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

which means that some dude wearing a funny getup can't resolve your sins for you.

Pastafarianism is the one true faith. Thou unbelievers shall be forced to eat public-school-cafeteria spaghetti for ALL ETERNITY if you do not accept the Word of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. :D (i don't think that was actually funny, so i have the smiley to signify i was kidding)

benjhuey

Postby benjhuey » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:40 pm UTC

I generally don't look good hats (especially baseball caps, but I really like top hats, then homburgs, then bowler derbies.

@Cheese: I can understand religions, just not many of the petty restrictions and rituals (like confessions) that they require (specifically here, the Catholic church). All of the different denominations within Christianity (as with many religions, I presume) come from a single church that continuously splits because no one can agree to do just one thing. Some of those things just aren't important. I often joke that, when someone complains about something they don't like in a church, they should (and could) just start their own.

Fine, I'll start my own church, with blackjack, and hookers. Actually, forget the church and blackjack.
多么现在棕色母牛?

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:44 pm UTC

Ahh, inconsistency. One of the most prominent features of any collaboration of the talents of many.

The main reason that my example bothers me is that it shows how one smart little man could develop himself a neat little way of life through lying to other people and making them afraid of Hell/the god(s) of fire/water, etc.
hermaj wrote:No-one. Will. Be. Taking. Cheese's. Spot.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Cheese is utterly correct on all fronts.
SecondTalon wrote:That thing that Cheese just said. Do that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I hereby disagree and declare Cheese to be brilliant.

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:45 pm UTC

parthenos wrote:well actually i don't have any of their albums. i live in constant fear of disappointing anybody, especially the people i love most (e.g. MY PARENTS) so i'm not going to go buying things they don't like.

And I thought I was the only person living in a fake world! Jesus, I'm just gonnah write this...:
There are alot of things (music, games, movies... well thats about it actually) my parents are afraid of. "Afraid", as in maybe-this-will-make-my-son-go-woopy/murderous/agressive/sad/whatever-kind-of afraid...
There are games (involving guns, murder, knives, swords and such) that my parents won't let me play. But whenever I have the chance to (e.g. when I'm at a friend's house), I do play those kind of games.
Then there's music. I listen Slipknot, SOAD, koRn, Drowning Pool, Trapt, Linkin Park etc. (I also listen classic, minimal music, some rap, punk and pop but that doesn't matter right now.) The problem is, my parents think I will turn agressive by listening to that music. Result: I can only listen to that music when my parents aren't at home, and before my iPod was stolen, on my iPod. It hurts me that I haved to hide such a secret for the ones I really love.
Films... basically the same as with the games, only then with films, lol.

The thing is, I've only told my sister so far about this, and she was like "I thought as much. (She listens to hardcore, metal, deathrap etc.) And no, I wont tell them. I understand what you mean." So apparently, she had (see that? "had"?) this kind of problem too, but is over it now. The only thing keeping me from "revealing" myself, is the fact that I'm afraid my parents will look at me differently. And I really don't want my parents to look at me differently. (I almost know they will look at me differently, because they also don't like punkers, metal-heads and such.)

There, I said it.

P.S. I don't like shoes either.

EDIT: I do believe in God. I also believe there is one God. I don't believe in what the bible states. I don't go to church. I pray alot. I like praying. There is no word for the kind of faith (correct me, I'm dutch) I believe in.
The closest it gets is the love-everybody,-have-faith-in-yourself-and-see-the-good-side-of-life-ism.
Ptolom wrote:penis

joeframbach

Postby joeframbach » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:54 pm UTC

I Am Raven wrote:EDIT: I do believe in God. I also believe there is one God. I don't believe in what the bible states. I don't go to church. I pray alot. I like praying. There is no word for the kind of faith (correct me, I'm dutch) I believe in.
The closest it gets is the love-everybody,-have-faith-in-yourself-and-see-the-good-side-of-life-ism.

I believe the word that describes this is "faith".
We have the same outlook on religion it seems. Everything in the above quote describes me as well.

EDIT: I'm not dutch, though. 1/2 German, 1/4 Japanese, 1/4 English-Etcetera.
Last edited by joeframbach on Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:01 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:58 pm UTC

Then we must come up with a name for it. When there are two or more people with the same beliefs, there must be a name for it :mrgreen:
Though I don't have any suggestions for a name... I hope you do! :D

joeframbach

Postby joeframbach » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:03 pm UTC

How about "love-everybody,-have-faith-in-yourself-and-see-the-good-side-of-life-ism."?
Or Lehfiyastgsolism?

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:07 pm UTC

joeframbach wrote:How about "love-everybody,-have-faith-in-yourself-and-see-the-good-side-of-life-ism."?
Or Lehfiyastgsolism?

Wow, that words is actually pronounceable.

Sort of.

Also it's very reasonable.

parthenos

Postby parthenos » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:10 pm UTC

[EDIT]

joeframbach

Postby joeframbach » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:14 pm UTC

parthenos wrote: i'm in favor of what joe frambach said.

I take no credit for it. I am raven came up with it.

parthenos

Postby parthenos » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:16 pm UTC

ok well then congrats on your honesty and i'm in favor of what i am raven said then.
is there anybody else out there that says "whole nother"?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:17 pm UTC

Yes. They live in the region known as "The Southern United States"
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:18 pm UTC

I am Raven wrote:It hurts me that I haved to hide such a secret for the ones I really love.

This is why I much prefer choosing the people I love than having that choice foisted on me by genetics: I can vet my choices for people who won't try to control ridiculous aspects of my life for no good reason. It's rather liberating.

But for you, I suggest thinking about it this way: They obviously don't respect you enough to understand that music and video games aren't going to make you a crazy murderer. They don't even respect you enough to try to understand that. Therefore, a small disrespect on your part (listening to the music and playing the games anyway) isn't damaging the relationship any more than they've already damaged it, especially if they never know. In other words, you're not the instigator here. Go forth and enjoy.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

parthenos

Postby parthenos » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:22 pm UTC

[EDIT]

oh yeah and to keep on topic, confession: i pop my pimples.

elephantitis

Postby elephantitis » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:03 pm UTC

Belial wrote:I fought endlessly with my parents until I got out of the house, and I only found my way back to liking one of them.

Lucky. I can't muster up enough appreciation for either one except for the life they gave me. And maybe my sixteenth birthday present. I said PCE OUT at seventeen, (followed the footsteps of my older sister and brother). It has to mean something when all three of your children runaway - maybe that you're frikkin' DOING IT WRONG.

Confession 1: I was scared out of my mind that I was pregnant until last night. Four months without my girly week because I stopped taking birth control pills. The confession part is that I sort of wanted it in the deep, dark places of my thoughts, because I want that connection between a mother and child. It's extremely hard for me to feel anything anymore, I'm so calloused and numb now. But FTS, I don't want to deal with all the crap - financial, relationship, social, and mental/emotional strain. I really don't want to force a child to deal with all the problems in the world. :roll: I just need a puppy. /grins at boyfriend

Confession 2: I love saying "dodohead"
"All I know is that I know nothing." - Socrates

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:07 pm UTC

parthenos wrote:i am raven: YAAAAAAAAAAAAY. sort of. i mean it's sad-ish but......

Stop the hell with referring to me as i am raven. I am Raven, that's true, but please just call me Raven, would you? Thanks :mrgreen:
Also, that word (forgot to copy it, lol, I'll edit it) is absolutely supercalifragilisticexpialidocious! (or however it is spelled.) :D

P.S. Thank you, Joeframbach, for giving me some credit ofsomething at all.
EDIT: Lehfiyastgsolism is pronounceable! :mrgreen:

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:36 pm UTC

elephantitis wrote:It has to mean something when all three of your children runaway - maybe that you're frikkin' DOING IT WRONG.

Hahah. So far, my parents are batting 5 for 6. Of course, some of the five drift back into contact after the initial run away, but not in any kind of close, familial way.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

ThorFluff
Ursus Onanis

Postby ThorFluff » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:49 pm UTC

Raven wins an internet, and I basically conform by Lehfiyastgsolism whenever I'm just being me and not arguing or trying to seem intelligent.
I think you could say that Lehfiyastgsolism is pretty much instinct. We can argue of why we think murder or rape is wrong all we want, but in the end, we get the same result ; Murder and or Rape feels wrong. Ie You don't do it and you stop it from happening after your own abilities, and that makes you feel like a good person. And we can pretty much all agree that those are good standards to live by right? Do what feels right?
And to me, an organised religion is nothing more then an organisation bending the word "right" for their own Gain, Avarice or Lust.
EsotericWombat wrote:You're... calling the Rolling Stones emo.

It might take a while to gather the lynch mob. no one really planned against this eventuality.

krynd wrote:That'd make an awesome sig. Unfortunately, I'm sure self-sigging isn't allowed...

elephantitis

Postby elephantitis » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:59 pm UTC

Belial wrote:
elephantitis wrote:It has to mean something when all three of your children runaway - maybe that you're frikkin' DOING IT WRONG.

Hahah. So far, my parents are batting 5 for 6. Of course, some of the five drift back into contact after the initial run away, but not in any kind of close, familial way.

I still talk to them, mostly because it'd be horribly inconvenient not to considering other family I visit. Also mostly because, since I raised them more than they raised me, they would DIE, poor little creatures that they are.
"All I know is that I know nothing." - Socrates

parthenos

Postby parthenos » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:00 pm UTC

I Am Raven wrote:
parthenos wrote:i am raven: YAAAAAAAAAAAAY. sort of. i mean it's sad-ish but......

Stop the hell with referring to me as i am raven. I am Raven, that's true, but please just call me Raven, would you? Thanks :mrgreen:

ok then. i think i'll do that. sorry for bugging you.

Nebulae

Postby Nebulae » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:31 pm UTC

Belial wrote:This is why I much prefer choosing the people I love than having that choice foisted on me by genetics: I can vet my choices for people who won't try to control ridiculous aspects of my life for no good reason. It's rather liberating.

Obviously you have the freedom of choosing whoever you love, and I can see where you're coming from, but I think there's something to be said about family ties. And then there's the fact that they took care of you for all those years too (I don't know anything about your family situation though, obviously.)

aeki

Postby aeki » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:33 pm UTC

I never went through the fighting stage with my parents, probably because they are excessively reasonable people and I was an excessively reasonable teenager (well... up to a point, anyway). I do get paranoid that I rely on them too much sometimes, which is probably part of why when I was looking for a job I didn't consider anything in my home town - so I would be forced to figure out how to live on my own and become independent.

Still, I consider myself really lucky that my relationship leans toward "too close" rather than "too tense". It's easier to fix and we still get to be friends.

morag

Postby morag » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:34 pm UTC

Peeking over from the other side of the fence, how can one both protect and encourage their children? I always got really annoyed at the limits that my parents set for me, and went off the rails a bit when I moved out and finally got some real freedom.

I've done a few scary things in my time, but nothing compares to the abject terror of overwhelming love and the responsibility that went with it when my daughter appeared in the world (that and she stared at me with intense beady black eyes that wouldn't look amiss on a raptor). Not to mention the powerlessness and a different kind of fear when a few minutes later her brother appeared and got whisked off to resuscitation. Very strong emotions that haven't really lessened that much despite the fact this was all a couple of years ago.

Anyway, my point - there is one, honest - parenting isn't straightforward. We're all human (except for the raptors), and fallible. The stronger the emotions, the more likely we are to mess up, and I've never experienced anything as strong as parental love. Maybe that's why I mess up so much.

Ramble over. Normal service is resumed.

Oh, a confession. I do have one, but I'm a bit embarrassed about it. Will consider spilling the beans.

shinybaby
In-Tents
Location: formerly Toronto, now London (Ontario)... anyone here??

Postby shinybaby » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:00 pm UTC

i consider myself incredibly fortunate to have such a great relationship with my parents. i had to go through the whole yelling-teenager-angsty thing, but i think we all came out - if not unscathed - at least better for it. we've grown to the point now that i think of them less as parents and more as friends.

again, though, i'm *very* lucky to be able to have familial ties with people with whom i have so much in common. i really enjoy my family's company (we're all xkcd people - i think my Dad would have come with bumpgrrl and i to the September meetup if it hadn't been a girly roadtrip for the two of us! and i know my brother and sister were waiting for pics and pins...)
Gordon wrote:1) Meet Gordon
2) Deploy Gordon
3) ...
4) Profit!!!

Aluminus

Postby Aluminus » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:21 pm UTC

Today, a new paradigm was established.
Spoiler:
lehfiyastgsolism.PNG
One day, this search will return millions of hits.
lehfiyastgsolism.PNG (19.47 KiB) Viewed 2144 times
fyrenwater wrote:Oh dear God, I just imagined this horrible scenario of a psychotic non-people-person running around, trying to steal the people-person section of people-peoples' brains to implant into their own brain.

Vandole

Postby Vandole » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:54 pm UTC

Confession: I thought morag's babies were leg stubs. I was a little creeped out.
Vandole wants you to read An Intimate History of the Greater Kingdom (NSFW text).
Oh, I'm no end table. I'm a nightstand.
Gelsamel wrote:Don't ever sig me..... ever.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:11 am UTC

Raven, you wouldn't happen to be a certain Kinan, would you? I know a dutch person who had very similar beliefs as you, so I was wondering.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:45 am UTC

@Morag: I want spilt beans. Cats out of bags.

And, I have nothing further to add at this time.
Belial wrote:You are giving me the tools to sodomize my vast imagination, and for this I am grateful.

PM Me, if you care for a chat.

Zak

Postby Zak » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:21 am UTC

A mi tambien, spilt beans are my favorite kind
*waggles eyebrows*

Delalyra

Postby Delalyra » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:08 am UTC

parthenos wrote: confession: i pop my pimples.

Noooo, don't do it! I know it's fun (really, I do :P ), but popping them can leave scars.

Confession: My parents think I go to mass, but really I just dick around in the city for an hour. I wonder if they know, and just don't say anything because then my little siblings would find that it is in fact possible to leave the church, and that would be baaad, wouldn't it?

Confession Deux: Holy shit, I RAN OVER A RACCOON tonight. And even though creating roadkill was on my list of things to do before I die, I feel rather shocked. I mean, I ended life. And it made an ugly crunching sound! :(
you may remember me from 2008 or 2009. I left for a while. I'm now sporadically back. I tumble here.

koneko

Postby koneko » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:17 am UTC

i ate waaaaay too much in way too short a time. and i still have the munchies.
ImageImage

benjhuey

Postby benjhuey » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:23 am UTC

On Lehfiyastgsolism: I don't think it's possible for me to love everyone. Some of those guys are assholes. :?
多么现在棕色母牛?

Zak

Postby Zak » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:30 am UTC

Time to start a different sect!

With the addition of Love-everyone-who-isn't-an-asshole!
*waggles eyebrows*

Return to “General”